shape
carat
color
clarity

Help needed - tax refunds in Australia for returns?

nelly81

Rough_Rock
Hi there,

Just wondering if any other Asutralians have had experience in returning a diamond purchased online?

I know that upon importing items greater than $1000, I need to pay duty (approx 5%)and tax (gst - 10%). Duty is not applicable on loose stones, only gst is payable.

However, if I return the stone within the the return period if I dont like it, can i get a refund on the gst I paid?

I called customs who confimed that I can get a duty refund via them, but I would need to contact the Australian Tax Office as they manage tax and ask them. When I contacted the ATO,it appears they ave never been asked this before?? They are looking into it and will get back to me but there was nothing on their website.

I can only assume that someone on this Forum from Australia has returned a diamond they purchased online and have experienced this personally?

I want to ensure that I actually can get my money back for the gst! as you can imagine, if I am spending $16,000, that is a decent refund which I can't afford to lose!!

I am trying to embrace buying stones online but there does not appear to be enough information around on the add ons that also need to be considered when doing so and how they compare to the savings of buying locally.

Opinions appreciated! please!

Echidna

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Nelly :wavey:

There are a number of us Australians on here who have purchased diamonds from overseas and returned them. I have not yet had to return a diamond but it is definitely possible to get your duty/GST refunded. I believe ArjunaJane has been through this previously, so I'll try to dig up some links for you. The biggest thread on Australian Customs is here:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/custom-ring-ausfta.130164/?hilit=AUSFTA

In my experience, Australian Customs has NO idea how to deal with anything but when the paperwork is submitted, everything gets processed (eventually) and money gets returned. This is likely why when you call they say they "don't do it", even if they do!

nelly81

Rough_Rock
ECHIDNA!!!!! thank you, thank you , thank you!! You are fantastic - i may try to do be in contact with those guys! (Lestat & ArjunaJane)

:o)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results