shape
carat
color
clarity

Help needed re: total depth

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AUAtty

Rough_Rock
I am considering a diamond from a "friend of a friend" out of state. I trust all involved, but have a concern about total depth.

Here are the stats.

Cut: round
1.4 carat
G color
SI2
6.38*6.29*4.09
Total depth 64.5
Table 58
crown 15%
pavillion depth 44%
girdle: slightly thick
no cutlet
slight blue floresence
Price $4500

This diamond rates a 4.2 on the cut advisor, which is not too bad for the price. Problem is I can't really compare prices because very few diamonds have that total depth. It doesn't fair well on the grading charts at that total depth, but the pavillon depth, crown height, and table seem ok. Should I be overly concerned about the total depth?

Thanks in advance.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
1. 1.4 carat round diamond should be about 7.27 mm in diameter (not 6.3!) If this is a typo and you meant 1.04 crt, it is still pretty small 'cause well cut 1.04 carat stone should have about 6.58 mm in diameter.

2. You have only rounded crown and pavilion depth % which are useless in evaluation of the cut and HCA in particular. :((

AUAtty

Rough_Rock
Nope, no typo. Those are the numbers I was given. No wonder the price is so "good." Thanks.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
then you better get more accurate grading data before making any decision. Or show it to an independent appraiser.

Does the diamond has any grading report?

AUAtty

Rough_Rock
Yes. Those numbers came from an EGL report on the stone. They were read to me over the phone, and the report is being faxed. I suppose a diamond with these deminsions would be "tall and skinny," for lack of better terms?

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
well, there is a mistake somewhere. These measurements are for 1.00 deep cut diamond.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results