shape
carat
color
clarity

Help needed in Choosing an Emerald Cut Diamond

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all

Based on the recommendation, my husband shortlisted the following diamonds. Which one is the best choice?

Choosing an emerald is so different from choosing a round diamond. Quite a daunting task.

9075941.jpeg

9310966.jpeg

10013572.jpeg

9957721.jpeg

9857123.jpeg

Last edited:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What are your plans for this stone?

E/VVS1 - Not too shabby 555 407
E/IF - somewhat dead in the center
D/VVS1 - not too bad either 534 394
D/VS1 - just ok...some flashing in the center but 556 382
E/VVS2 - about same as previous stone 575 374

I liked the E/VVS1 and the D/VVS1 the best. I would probably take the larger of the 2.

I would rank the D/VS1 and E/VVS2 below the above stones.

E/IF - not flashing enough in the center.

My choice would probably be the E/VVS1 because it is bigger than the D/VVS1.

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you tyty333! Will the E/VVS1 "surface graining" be an issue? Will it cause any clarity issue?

My husband is thinking of setting it in a simple 1.5mm ring, either in rose gold or white gold for me. Just an everyday wear ring for me.

Unlike rounds, I am unsure what else to look out for (except for clarity, windowing and "extinction" - though not sure what an extinction should look like...hahaha). All of them seem similar in a way and we do not know if our choice is good. :(2

Last edited:

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
hi diamondsR4eVR, me too! My love for emerald cut diamonds grew when my husband purchased one for me a few years back.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love emerald cut diamonds! I don’t know how to pick a winner but I liked @tyty333 expert opinion.

Hi @diamondsR4eVR

Its all about making sure the steps flash all the way into the center (rotate the stones to see what happens in the center).
Not too many steps turned off (dark) at the same time.
Steps should be of somewhat consistent shape.

Hope that helps if you're ever looking for an Emerald cut!

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
" making sure the steps flash all the way into the center (rotate the stones to see what happens in the center). "

@tyty333 , that is the best and the best insightful tip I have came across. =)2
Will the E/VVS1 "surface graining" be an issue? Will it cause any clarity issue? We are a bit worry about the remark in the GIA report.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you tyty333! Will the E/VVS1 "surface graining" be an issue? Will it cause any clarity issue?

My husband is thinking of setting it in a simple 1.5mm ring, either in rose gold or white gold for me. Just an everyday wear ring for me.

Unlike rounds, I am unsure what else to look out for (except for clarity, windowing and "extinction" - though not sure what an extinction should look like...hahaha). All of them seem similar in a way and we do not know if our choice is good. :(2

Pinpoints are the grade making inclusion (they are listed first). Can you find them on the magnified stone? If not, then you surely wont see
the surface graining. Anyway, VVS1 is such a high clarity that you wont be able to see anything!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi all

Based on the recommendation, my husband shortlisted the following diamonds. Which one is the best choice?

Choosing an emerald is so different from choosing a round diamond. Quite a daunting task.

9075941.jpeg

9310966.jpeg

10013572.jpeg

9957721.jpeg

9857123.jpeg

Top 2:
0.57EVVS1
0.53DVVS1
The minimal difference in size is not going to make an impact.
What you have to decide is which one speaks to you.
Both move well....one seems to have a bit more contrast than the other, but contrast is not a negative thing.
L x w ratio is similar between both stones. Surface graining should not be noticeable, and the clarity of both stones is very high, so inclusions will not be an issue.
For such high color grades, the one question I would pose to the gemologist would be: “How does the fluorescence impact these diamonds?” I would imagine not at all, but it’s best to confirm.
Then, make your choice based upon what you find speaking to your eye.
Step cuts are greatly about preference, and everyone’s preferences are different. You have to go with your heart.

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
Most posters on Pricescope do not recommend settings as thinner than 1.8mm - they are at risk for warping.

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
Top 2:
0.57EVVS1
0.53DVVS1
The minimal difference in size is not going to make an impact.
What you have to decide is which one speaks to you.
Both move well....one seems to have a bit more contrast than the other, but contrast is not a negative thing.
L x w ratio is similar between both stones. Surface graining should not be noticeable, and the clarity of both stones is very high, so inclusions will not be an issue.
For such high color grades, the one question I would pose to the gemologist would be: “How does the fluorescence impact these diamonds?” I would imagine not at all, but it’s best to confirm.
Then, make your choice based upon what you find speaking to your eye.
Step cuts are greatly about preference, and everyone’s preferences are different. You have to go with your heart.

Thank you @Matthews1127 , we have decided to go ahead with 0.57EVVS1, since it speaks to my heart more! Are you referring to the faint fluorescence present in these 2 diamonds? I get what you mean about the fluorescence .

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
Most posters on Pricescope do not recommend settings as thinner than 1.8mm - they are at risk for warping.

Oh dear, we went with 1.5mm since we want the stone to look bigger. Thanks for pointing this out.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @Matthews1127 , we have decided to go ahead with 0.57EVVS1, since it speaks to my heart more! Are you referring to the faint fluorescence present in these 2 diamonds? I get what you mean about the fluorescence .

Great choice!
I cannot wait to see the finished ring! :kiss2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results