shape
carat
color
clarity

Help needed: ideas for a flush mount 6 prong setting

silliex

Rough_Rock
Hi PSers,

I need some help finding inspiration for a 6 prong setting with hidden halo and microwave shank for a round cut engagement ring I can share with my local, preferred jeweler for a 2 carat diamond. I originally showed them this inspo I found online, however they are concerned with the way this ring is constructed (they referred to it as a die strike method) as it less structurally sound. I like how the setting in the inspo feels delicate, clean, modern, and simple. I like the profile of this and feel like something similar is important to me.

While I know cathedrals are much more secure, I would strongly prefer a design without. The samples they showed me without cathedrals would not allow a wedding band to sit flush. I'm hoping to find some solutions that would help minimize (or eliminate would be ideal) the gap. I have very short and small hands so any gap seems like a lot of wasted real estate; and while I am trying to make peace with it now, I am not sure it won't drive me crazy in the future.

Any ideas and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

IMG_5998_edit.jpg

Last edited:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi PSers,

I need some help finding inspiration for a 6 prong setting with hidden halo and microwave shank for a round cut engagement ring I can share with my local, preferred jeweler for a 2 carat diamond. I originally showed them this inspo I found online, however they are concerned with the way this ring is constructed (they referred to it as a die strike method) as it less structurally sound. I like how the setting in the inspo feels delicate, clean, modern, and simple. I like the profile of this and feel like something similar is important to me.

While I know cathedrals are much more secure, I would strongly prefer a design without. The samples they showed me without cathedrals would not allow a wedding band to sit flush. I'm hoping to find some solutions that would help minimize (or eliminate would be ideal) the gap. I have very short and small hands so any gap seems like a lot of wasted real estate; and while I am trying to make peace with it now, I am not sure it won't drive me crazy in the future.

Any ideas and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

IMG_5998_edit.jpg

The potential problem with this type of setting is that with a good whack, the entire head could come off and you could lose it and the diamond. A cathedral setting integrates the head into the shank making that scenario less likely. I will look around at some settings and I am sure others will too!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did your jeweler offer to custom make a ring for you? Six prong settings can be tricky to be flush fit with a band as one of the prongs is typically at the bottom of the diamond which can create a gap with the band. With a more cathedral like setting, there can be a bridge under the prong work that would allow a band to sit flush. Even though your jeweler advised against the setting in your picture, are you willing to get it anyway?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
That isn’t a die struck setting, die struck is an older technique for making rings that is actually far stronger than cast methods.

That setting is an accident waiting to happen. The head is held in place by such a tiny burn of metal. The already thin shank is further weakened by the pave. I realize this aesthetic is popular but it is not durable. You don’t need a cathedral for security. You do need more structural support for the head.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
IMG_2082.jpeg IMG_2081.jpeg IMG_2080.jpeg IMG_2079.jpeg IMG_2078.jpeg Here are some examples of solitaires without cathedrals or with very subtle cathedrals that are a little more structurally sound.

You can eliminate the gap in this style of ring with a wider shank, so the base of the head doesn’t protrude beyond the width of the shank. Or you can add cathedral. Or you can live with a mm gap. Or you can get the style you want and live with the fact it will likely not last. Can’t have it all!

silliex

Rough_Rock
Did your jeweler offer to custom make a ring for you? Six prong settings can be tricky to be flush fit with a band as one of the prongs is typically at the bottom of the diamond which can create a gap with the band. With a more cathedral like setting, there can be a bridge under the prong work that would allow a band to sit flush. Even though your jeweler advised against the setting in your picture, are you willing to get it anyway?

IMG_2082.jpeg IMG_2081.jpeg IMG_2080.jpeg IMG_2079.jpeg IMG_2078.jpeg

Here are some examples of solitaires without cathedrals or with very subtle cathedrals that are a little more structurally sound.

You can eliminate the gap in this style of ring with a wider shank, so the base of the head doesn’t protrude beyond the width of the shank. Or you can add cathedral. Or you can live with a mm gap. Or you can get the style you want and live with the fact it will likely not last. Can’t have it all!

Thanks for your responses!

The jeweler is willing to make a custom piece; part of the reason why I want to work with them is because they are knowledgable and won't compromise the safety of the piece.My preferred jeweler's craftsmanship on the hidden halo seems unmatched locally, another draw to working with them. I have spoken with other jewelers who frequently make pieces like the inspo, but do have some worry about the security as I have seen those freak accident/horror stories. I'm trying to understand what I'm willing to sacrifice at this time but was hoping experienced folks like yourselves could share some insight. I do feel it would be helpful to go in next time prepared to discuss ideas.

Thanks for sharing the CVB inspired designs @Dreamer_D. I'm curious about the experience with donuts. I particularly gravitate towards the last one and the third one. Would the gap be smaller with the donut than than this type of design below? The below photograph would be more close to what the jeweler is offering to create where the head prongs are more integrated in the band as one piece and stem from the base of the shank. I'm looking for the least gap possible, hoping to pair with a low profile emerald band.

lab-created-diamond-ring_1622686721940-95KX3LPLDPJB1TAZ91LO.jpeg

Secondly, I did find these more oblong shaped shank that I was wondering if these oblong tapered depth for the shank would work with a thiner band.

ME1560_2.jpg IMG_6668.jpg
oval-diamond-engagement-ring-pave-set-diamond-band-side-view-christopher-duquet.jpg IMG_7273.jpg

Thanks everyone in advance for your time, thoughts and opinions.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
@yssie is knowledgeable about these things and may have time to weigh in

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, a taller shank at the base of the ring helps. However, it would be helpful to know the width of the wedding band you might be considering. The head of the engagement ring could obscure the wedding band at that point depending on its thickness. Also, if you are considering a shared prong wedding band, just be aware that exposed girdle edges can eat into the prongs or shank of the ering. You mentioned an emerald wedding band and depending on the style, the emeralds could get damaged if any portion of their edges are exposed. Hopefully, your jeweler will be willing to do a CAD for you to see - and one of the wedding band if he is going to make it too.

silliex

Rough_Rock
@MissGotRocks We've been discussing a 1.8 mm shank for the engagement ring but unclear about the width for the wedding band at this time. I'm interested in a wide emerald or baguette band but also considering a thin delicate band as well, which I think would look better flush against the engagement ring. I would plan to get a thin, plain spacer band if needed.

The jeweler seemed open to showing me a CAD if needed, I would probably have to insist if we are doing something new but we both recognize it can be tricky for the average person to review CADs as they can look a bit different than the end product. I will probably ask the PS community to help me review if we get there. 8):bigsmile:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have seen videos on IG by a bench that makes similar settings from scratch, and the very intricate flower head is like a drawing pin that slots into a hole in the shank, soldered in place before the excess length of the pin is cut/filed away.

It looks a lot more secure than the inspo ring in the original post.

I tried to look for the videos and can't find them, DOH!

DK :))

silliex

Rough_Rock
@dk168 do you remember what their IG account is?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@dk168 do you remember what their IG account is?

Nope, sorry, as I am not following them as such, just popped up on my IG feed from time to time.

Hence I said I could not find their videos when I tried to look for them.

If I see them again, I shall add a link in this thread.

DK :))

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
@MissGotRocks We've been discussing a 1.8 mm shank for the engagement ring but unclear about the width for the wedding band at this time. I'm interested in a wide emerald or baguette band but also considering a thin delicate band as well, which I think would look better flush against the engagement ring. I would plan to get a thin, plain spacer band if needed.

The jeweler seemed open to showing me a CAD if needed, I would probably have to insist if we are doing something new but we both recognize it can be tricky for the average person to review CADs as they can look a bit different than the end product. I will probably ask the PS community to help me review if we get there. 8):bigsmile:

Please consider not only the width of the band, but the height. If the band is higher than the base of the prongs, it will not sit flush.
1708615422493.png
This one that you posted above seems the most promising to me.

In light of all of these considerations, proposing with a temporary mount may be easiest.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have this setting
Screenshot 2024-02-22 103220.png

It has the built-up sides like the pictures you posted. It is very subtle and the donut on it is extremely small. So the way it works
with wedding bands is that low wedding bands (plain metal bands) sit flush with my ering. Wedding bands that have pave (which
tend to be taller), are pushed off by the prong so there is a small gap. BTW, I love this setting!

I'll see if I can get some pictures to post.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here it is with a solid band on each side (the bands do not "match" the ering height and wide-wise).
IMG_20240222_103809330.jpg
Here it is with a gap. It doesnt bother me...I wear it like this.
IMG_20240222_103907271.jpg
Another band with a gap.
IMG_20240222_104022133_HDR.jpg

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
@tyty333 , if you don’t mind sharing where the two diamond bands are from? I have the petite valoria as well, and I’ve been hunting for diamond bands with no luck! Yours look beautiful paired together!

silliex

Rough_Rock
Here it is with a solid band on each side (the bands do not "match" the ering height and wide-wise).
IMG_20240222_103809330.jpg
Here it is with a gap. It doesnt bother me...I wear it like this.
IMG_20240222_103907271.jpg
Another band with a gap.
IMG_20240222_104022133_HDR.jpg

WOW @tyty333 Gorgeous set! This is super helpful; you are exactly the person I am wanting to hear from. I am surprised about how small the gap ended up being. Does it seem like the donut and/or tapered shank help set the diamond sit up higher and allow the prongs to be more vertical than lower and angular? Also, does the shank taper slightly towards the donut?

Would you be able to send another photo straight on from the front and side with your diamond band so I can see how the band looks against the height of the engagement ring? I am curious how subtle the tapered shank will look as a set.

This is the setting I'm considering from the jeweler: 6 prong setting.

Thanks in advance!

silliex

Rough_Rock
Got this for my wife. Sorry, I don't have clearer shots, that's all I have on my phone at the moment. Width 1.85, thickness 1.8

20231017_172254.jpg VideoCapture_20231018-040643.jpg

Gorgeous! Thanks for sharing. May I ask how long she's had the ring and if there has been any issues with the durability of the setting?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@tyty333 , if you don’t mind sharing where the two diamond bands are from? I have the petite valoria as well, and I’ve been hunting for diamond bands with no luck! Yours look beautiful paired together!

Unfortunately, I bought them both used so can't tell you where they came from. Actually, the twisted one I bought pre-loved
from a lovely PSer. It is a Gaberial and Co. The other ring I got off of ebay.

Here is how I usually wear my set...the only thing I dont like is that the bands are only 1/2 and 2/3 around. Really would like it if they
were full eternity style.
IMG_20240222_152211169_HDR.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW @tyty333 Gorgeous set! This is super helpful; you are exactly the person I am wanting to hear from. I am surprised about how small the gap ended up being. Does it seem like the donut and/or tapered shank help set the diamond sit up higher and allow the prongs to be more vertical than lower and angular? Also, does the shank taper slightly towards the donut?

Would you be able to send another photo straight on from the front and side with your diamond band so I can see how the band looks against the height of the engagement ring? I am curious how subtle the tapered shank will look as a set.

This is the setting I'm considering from the jeweler: 6 prong setting.

Thanks in advance!

Hi @silliex,

The stone is only a 1.66...thanks to WF the proportions on height are perfect to me. I have a side view if that would help? I have to
dig it up. The taper of the shank is very subtle and hardly noticeable but it does taper towards the donut. Also, the donut almost
isnt visible without blown-up pictures.

Which diamond band do you want pictures with? The straight one or the twisted one?

silliex

Rough_Rock
Hi @silliex,

The stone is only a 1.66...thanks to WF the proportions on height are perfect to me. I have a side view if that would help? I have to
dig it up. The taper of the shank is very subtle and hardly noticeable but it does taper towards the donut. Also, the donut almost
isnt visible without blown-up pictures.

Which diamond band do you want pictures with? The straight one or the twisted one?

All photos are helpful if you have time! I haven't seen a setting like this in person before at the jewelers. It would be amazing if you can take a new one with the straight diamond band. Much appreciated!

Your ACA and ring set are so stunning :kiss2:. It is making me more excited about nearing the finish line!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That new setting you provided the link for will be safer but may push a pave wedding band off some.

Here are pics with the straight band. Because the band is a channel set with rails on the side I dont need
a separator ring (but they do need a bath :lol:).

IMG_20240222_154109189_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240222_154023393_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240222_154100972_HDR.jpg

Willinformed

Rough_Rock
Gorgeous! Thanks for sharing. May I ask how long she's had the ring and if there has been any issues with the durability of the setting?

She's had it now for about 5 months. So far so good. She wears it to sleep, shower and other daily activities. Takes it off occasionally for working out or whenever needed. Other than wear scratches to base, it's still in original shape. She doesn't baby it.

Not sure what will happen in several years but she nor I are worried.

silliex

Rough_Rock
That new setting you provided the link for will be safer but may push a pave wedding band off some.

Here are pics with the straight band. Because the band is a channel set with rails on the side I don't need a separator ring (but they do need a bath :lol:).

IMG_20240222_154109189_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240222_154023393_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240222_154100972_HDR.jpg

Thanks so much @tyty333 for sharing these! This is SUPER informative, I definitely have a lot more to noodle on. It also helps a ton to see this as a set on a fitted finger.

She's had it now for about 5 months. So far so good. She wears it to sleep, shower and other daily activities. Takes it off occasionally for working out or whenever needed. Other than wear scratches to base, it's still in original shape. She doesn't baby it.

Not sure what will happen in several years but she nor I are worried.

Wow, sounds quite durable. Forgot to ask - what type of metal is this set in?

nala123

Rough_Rock
I actually want the same 6 prong setting for my 3 carat diamond. After reading this post I’m having doubts. Would a cathedral help secure the setting a bit more? Now I’m considering this 4 prong cathedral setting instead. Please advise. Thanks in advance IMG_2960.jpeg IMG_2969.jpeg IMG_2960.jpeg

silliex

Rough_Rock
I actually want the same 6 prong setting for my 3 carat diamond. After reading this post I’m having doubts. Would a cathedral help secure the setting a bit more? Now I’m considering this 4 prong cathedral setting instead. Please advise. Thanks in advance

@nala123 I am no expert but I'd be happy to share what I've observed and understood based on my own, short and inexperienced journey.

I've learned that there's a rising trend for settings without cathedrals, and that cathedrals settings are structurally stronger than a solitaire type setting without. For a while I could not shake this fear that I was putting my stone at risk. The jewelers I spoke to who are willing to make the style like our inspo (flush fit with the prongs sitting above the band) have assured me that they don't see a regular occurrence with people having issues with their settings, like the freak accidents you hear about.

What I've also come to realize is there is little context surrounding those freak accident stories; like how people are caring for their rings, do they bring them in for regular check ups, level of skill and craftsmanship of their jewelers, do their jewelers specialize in this type of setting, etc.

I did have the opportunity to speak directly with another jeweler who frequently makes the flush fit style that explained there have been advances to creating the flush fit style a little more secure now in comparison to older methods by use of laser soldering (I am no expert but it made sense to me and made me feel a lot better). But I think some folks would still say that the physics/engineering aren't there.

My preferred and chosen jeweler is making something similar but it will not be flush fit since the prongs will start from the base of the band instead. I've been told that because the prongs are more integrated with the band, it will be structurally stronger than if it were sitting on top.

After polling friends and speaking with people, it seemed like these "freak accidents" stories may be the "exception" and not the "rule". Something I heard that stuck with me from a friend is that "When these freak accidents happen, everyone hears about it but we may not much hear from the people who haven't had any issues with these settings." I have a friend who got a similar setting to the one you and I both like but her jeweler recommended having at least a 2mm for a plain band to set her 3 carat oval, she has had no issues in the last two years of wearing her ring. I also have friend that loves the cathedral style and is nervous about wearing solitaire styles.

As with any setting, you should be cautious and careful about what you are doing while wearing your ring. I've also learned that it can be important to make sure your choice in setting fits your lifestyle. For example, if you work with your hands a lot, a lower set diamond may be better suited. If you don't want to baby your ring, you may want to avoid a more delicate setting. The size of your stone could play a factor in certain details for your setting.

I think there are a lot of strong opinions and it can be hard to figure out which to listen to. These are the times to listen to experts (except pushy sales people, they do not qualify). I ended up feeling more comfortable with the flush fit style and feel I would be a very careful, mindful person but ultimately decided I wanted to work with my preferred jeweler instead. It felt like for me I had to go with my gut and feelings; I just gravitated more to them for a number of reasons.

I think the advice I would pass on is to just have conversations with a few jewelers if you can, and see how you feel after. I realized I was in my head a lot and my one regret was not having these conversations earlier.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
There have been several posters who have come here over time because their similar ring heads popped off after a ding against a table, doorway, or while doing laundry. One lost her head in the ice tray of her fridge, and that's where she eventually found her stone. Another bent her ring putting on her coat. There have also been stories of these whisper thin ring shanks being bent out of shape just by using your hands in a normal manner like grabbing a doorknob, or politely clapping.
Then, people want to put holes in these tiny bands of metal for more stones and it doesn't always end well.

It's like tying a boulder with string.

I usually caution against shanks under 2mm for any ring regardless of style, and pave can greatly weaken metal integrity which will eventually require repair if not done well. Metal should actually be a little thicker to accommodate boring holes into it.
These delicate design rings are for occasional, careful wear. If that is something you can be diligent with, then there is no issue. For an everyday engagement ring to endure you need good design that takes mitigating circumstances into account.

The more classic style mounts without cathedrals have stood the test of time.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results