shape
carat
color
clarity

Help needed... earring purchase

kjessop

Rough_Rock
Hi there- long time lurker (second time poster :lol:). I’m looking to buy a pair of diamond stud earrings. I live in Canada so while I normally go to NYC for purchases, I don’t think that is going to happen any time soon. I found this pair online, but I am not sure if it’s the deal they claim it to be. Prices are in CAD- so by my math it’s roughly 12,500 usd. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

3.68 earrings

5DDF4667-1385-43CB-94D4-3F92C5E2FB1A.png 5DDF4667-1385-43CB-94D4-3F92C5E2FB1A.png

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Same cert X 2. This one is a bit deep, too (will look smaller). I don't know if this is a good thing, but I'm kind of a diamond snob and like even my studs to have as little by way of inclusions as possible. IMO, there's too many inclusions and it would be a diamond that I'd want to see in person in different lighting conditions to see performance. I'd also want to see ASET pics and Idealscope. They're sizeable nonetheless, and I'm jealous.

kjessop

Rough_Rock
1F8627D1-9FC0-4A00-A038-508F7C67C7D7.png

whoops. Here is the second.

kjessop

Rough_Rock
Same cert X 2. This one is a bit deep, too (will look smaller). I don't know if this is a good thing, but I'm kind of a diamond snob and like even my studs to have as little by way of inclusions as possible. IMO, there's too many inclusions and it would be a diamond that I'd want to see in person in different lighting conditions to see performance. I'd also want to see ASET pics and Idealscope. They're sizeable nonetheless, and I'm jealous.

Thanks- I posted the second. And I appreciate what your concerns are, and I’m trying to figure out if it’s even worth it to go see them!

Mekp

Shiny_Rock
The proportions of the diamonds are very different between the two. A 55% table and a 63% table will look quite different, I think.
I also agree that the inclusions would be too much for me.
Could you go lower in colour, to maybe an I or J or even K, to maybe get better clarity?

kjessop

Rough_Rock
I am looking at much smaller ( 2.4) I colored stones. Which I always assumed was what I wanted. Then saw the size of these and got stone envy before even making a purchase. And I don’t know enough about stones to know if they are even worth seeing in person. Thanks for your input!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are not very pretty stones, I'm sorry. I think you can find something much nicer. There are not very attractive to my eye.

Agreed, these are very poorly cut

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I personally would not consider I2 clarity for any jewelry purchase. And while I love cooler/whiter stones, I wouldn't pair high color (F) with super low clarity (I2). Like other folks have already said, how about you meet in the middle somewhere, like H SI1 or so?

Last edited:

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
What @RunningwithScissors said. No point and in fact a waste to get F color if they are going to be an included mess, no light return, not transparent at all. In fact, just generally speaking, even if you like high color H is plenty nice for earrings and in fact you could even go to at least I/J. But you should hit SI2 clarity, only take a great I1 from a highly recommended vendor. Ask people here to suggest pairs for you. Look if you go down minimally in weight, face up may remain around the same with well cut stones.

Most defo worth compromising a bit on weight and for sure on color to get great cut and decent clarity. What would be the point of getting diamonds if they are not going to have the fire and brilliance which are the main benefits of actually owning a diamond?

AV_

Ideal_Rock
ctd.

I do not have to imagine GIA colourless I1 diamonds up to one carat with acceptable clarity characteritics, especially for earrings; between I1 and I2 a line is crossed. These diamonds are much larger. It is not impossible that the clarity still works well enough.

I find it harder to forgive cut in this material.

_

caveat: I must have mentioned too many tims that I am fond of the 'stone' side of diamond & included & unusual ones, so I can easily imagine a diamond with a swarm of included crystal - as it appears oon the first plot, making me very happy, perhaps cut as a prism, to play with; it would be an object very different from a classical brilliant & I am not hearing you wishing for such a thing.

kjessop

Rough_Rock
thanks everyone for helping out... I didn’t think they made sense, but didn‘t want to pass up some crazy great opportunity :lol: Back to my original plan and sticking with 2-2.5 I-J with SI1 as my stopping point!

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
thanks everyone for helping out... I didn’t think they made sense, but didn‘t want to pass up some crazy great opportunity :lol: Back to my original plan and sticking with 2-2.5 I-J with SI1 as my stopping point!

perhaps provide your budget and the good ppl here will help find a pair for you to see?
when considering that carat size, a millimeter measurement of the spread of stone is critical. What are you current studs like? And what size are they?
Would you consider ideals/ super ideals??!

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OP
Contact Lesley at BGD and she would put together pairs for you.
Good luck.

kjessop

Rough_Rock
perhaps provide your budget and the good ppl here will help find a pair for you to see?
when considering that carat size, a millimeter measurement of the spread of stone is critical. What are you current studs like? And what size are they?

I have reached out to Yuketiel at ID. I have an eternity from them that I love, and I hope to get a pair of studs from them. I was hoping to get something here in Canada due to no travel Covid stuff- but US prices can’t be beat... even with the crappy Canadian dollar right now :shock:

kjessop

Rough_Rock

And I am a total newb. I don’t know much about ideals/super ideals... I have been reading up and I think I have a general idea of what I am looking for in terms of cut, clarity and color. Thanks for the suggestions- if I can’t find something at ID I will ask for help yet again LOL.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
if you are with IDJ, yukitel is the person to work with, and he will look after you... as most ppl say- you want PS quality.:)
super ideals are from whiteflash, brian gavin, High performance diamonds to name a few. they have their own cut restrictions to have the blingiest modern rounds that you can find. WF and HPD have great upgrade policies.

some say- close enough is good enough for my earrings. and that is ok. the more info on your requirements for earrings, the easier it is for posters to help.

When you get the stones from IDJ post them here for comment, if you wish.

kjessop

Rough_Rock
So these are what IDJ has sent... I’m not crazy about them- the budget was 8000... hoping I can get some opinions please and thanks!
4561AA4C-99DF-4A57-9140-77265E817400.jpeg 5585E958-3FE9-48E8-AC49-AF1F465AB33C.jpeg 42D0802A-D0EC-4AD2-A2C4-CD2D737B189A.jpeg 7A903EAC-2895-40DB-8738-5F87114A5CD2.jpeg

Mekp

Shiny_Rock
So these are what IDJ has sent... I’m not crazy about them- the budget was 8000... hoping I can get some opinions please and thanks!
4561AA4C-99DF-4A57-9140-77265E817400.jpeg 5585E958-3FE9-48E8-AC49-AF1F465AB33C.jpeg 42D0802A-D0EC-4AD2-A2C4-CD2D737B189A.jpeg 7A903EAC-2895-40DB-8738-5F87114A5CD2.jpeg

I think this is the same GIA certificate twice.

I much prefer this stone to the others you were considering. The proportions are very nice. What are you not crazy about?

kjessop

Rough_Rock
I guess because they are so big in the pictures they don’t seem close to eye clean? Or is that just the newb in me? :lol:

kjessop

Rough_Rock
F8DB97FA-0565-4A01-B26A-45FB7F50AF5A.jpeg
not sure why I keep posting the same thing twice... lol

Mekp

Shiny_Rock
I guess because they are so big in the pictures they don’t seem close to eye clean? Or is that just the newb in me? :lol:

Keep in mind they will be in your ears so people won't be super close to them. I think finding eye clean SI2 is difficult. Others will be better able to give feedback on how eye clean these will be.

kjessop

Rough_Rock
Thanks! I know there are so many experts here to help out... I don’t want to make the wrong choice based on my lack of knowledge.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results