shape
carat
color
clarity

Help, Need Vegetarian Holiday Recipes, Please!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kit

Brilliant_Rock
Cozze e Fagioli
(Mussels and Beans)

I pretty much made this recipe up after eating something like it in a restaurant. Buy a good baguette or some nice bread to sop up the tasty liquid after you''re done with the mussels and beans. You can adjust the proportions to more of what you like, less of what you don''t.

1 lb live mussels, scrubbed (and toss out any mussels that don''t close after you tap them or run them under cold water!)
1 med yellow onion, diced
1-2 carrots, sliced
1 large celery stalk, sliced
3-5 cloves garlic, minced (depending on taste, you could even add more)
crushed red pepper flakes to taste
1 14 oz can diced tomatoes, drained
1 14 oz can white beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup chicken broth or clam juice or vegetable broth, or combination
1 cup dry white wine
juice of one lemon
2-3 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley

Basically, heat a few tablespoons of olive oil in a deep stock pot. Saute onion for a few minutes until turning soft, then add carrot and celery and saute for a few minutes more. Add garlic and crushed red pepper, saute 1 minute. Add tomatoes, beans, liquids, salt & black pepper to taste and bring just to a boil. Add mussels and cover pot, cook for about 5-10 minutes, stirring or shaking pot periodically to cook evenly. When mussels open they are done--don''t overcook! Dump into a large bowl and toss in parsley. Serve hot with slices of bread.

Makes a great meal with a salad
3.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks for posting that recipe kit!! we LOVE mussels and make them at home quite often and are always looking for more yummy, bread-sopping recipes to try!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
what about a really decadent upscale macaroni and cheese? With a couple kinds of great cheeses?

I also have a very old recipe from a cookbook my mom had...it is called mushrooms florentine. It has chopped spinach, sauteed onions, seasonings, mushroom caps and shredded cheddar, and you bake it. I can dig up the recipe if it sounds good. I think you could even prep it ahead, put it in a pyrex and finish it whereever you are going...

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/6/2006 12:51:51 AM
Author: diamondfan
what about a really decadent upscale macaroni and cheese? With a couple kinds of great cheeses?

I also have a very old recipe from a cookbook my mom had...it is called mushrooms florentine. It has chopped spinach, sauteed onions, seasonings, mushroom caps and shredded cheddar, and you bake it. I can dig up the recipe if it sounds good. I think you could even prep it ahead, put it in a pyrex and finish it whereever you are going...
I also have a fabulous mac and cheese from Martha Stewart that I make for us sometimes...Greg LOVES it. It has emmenthaler, gruyere and extra sharp cheddar with cayenne pepper and it's very yummy! I love variations of mac and cheese! DF if you do find it, please post!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am wracking my brain where I saw it...there was even one with a bit of shaved truffle on top...they all sounded incredible. I am a meat eater but I love most veggies (Mara, laughing about the brussles things, I used to "hide" mine or flip them to the dog, who would not touch them!) and I love coming up with new delights. I LOVED Mara''s cauliflower recipe and want to try it...

I will bet if you go to a culinary website and put in some form of mac and cheese, there will be one...a lot of famous restaurants make a version, since it is such a wonderful comfort food and winter dish...

Also, what about an au gratin potato type thing? if you do it right, it could replace hash browns for breakfast...

Kit

Brilliant_Rock
Mara, my pleasure. We are also borderline addicted to mussels...thank goodness they are so cheap.
9.gif

Mac & cheese, great idea! I saw a Top Chef episode last season where one of the guys made a gourmet version with truffles, I have eaten that style of M&C and it is freakin delicious!!! And, tis the season for those earthy, pricey nuggets of goodness.
2.gif
The Top Chef guy put a giant slice in the bottom of each individual ramekin...I think they had and endless supply though.

Maybe you could just use truffle oil???

rfath

Shiny_Rock
Kit - Thanks for the recipe! Mussels are divine AND cheap.

Mmm.. mac ''n cheese... my husband swore up and down that he HATED macaroni and cheese. Despised! Ick! Bad! Then I found a recipe for noodles baked with port and stilton (and shallots and allllll kinds of yumminess) and suddenly it''s just not so bad anymore.

Someday I''ll find the killer recipe for peanut butter, too, and then he won''t make disgusted noises every time he sees me eating it.
face1.gif

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
If you''re doing mac and cheese, the most decadent version I''ve ever had had black truffles in it. Ohmigod. I almost died. Of course, truffles may be on the pricey side if you''re making enough for three families.

Here''s Brussels Sprouts Cockaigne from ''The Joy of Cooking'' (p.353), 2-4 servings (adjust accordingly!)

"Rinse, pat dry, and slice in half legnthwise:

12 brussels sprouts

WArm in a medium skillet over medium-low heat:

3 tbl butter

Add and cook stirring, until beginning to brown:
1 to 2 cloves of garlic, crushed [ed. use 2! use 2!]

Remove garlic from teh skillet with a slotted spoon and discard. Place the sprouts cut side down in the garlic butter. Cover and cook over low heat until tender (15-20 mins). arrange on a warm platter and drizzle with any remaining butter on top. Serve with

Grated Parmesan cheese (optional)"

Voila! Heart attack, masquerading as vegetables.
18.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOL, I have discovered if I cover it with enough cheese my family would eat braised cardboard or grilled linoleum...I happen to love cheese too but it don''t love my waistline!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
ok i am now going to hunt for black truffle mac and cheese....i will report back. i love truffles and since we only make stuff for us two really, i can make small portions of things so it won''t break the bank!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
you just shave a bit on usually. And black truffles are less expensive than white I think...sounds so yummy!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yummo Mara I''m looking for a flight out to Cali right now...hehee. You SAID you''d feed this veggie! LOL!

Seriously, those truffle recipe sound primo and I will have to try them! DH & fam may not be so excited, but I''m guessing after a taste they will be hounding me for these dishes for years to come!
36.gif

cutes814

Brilliant_Rock
hey indie,

i saw a mention for pasta salad. i have a delicious pasta salad recipe.

one sliced red onion (you can slice the pieces to whatever size you prefer)
2 stalks of green onion chopped
2 ripe avocados, cut up into little square pieces
a handful of cilantro, roughly chopped (you can add more if you like, i LOVE cilantro, so i always add a ton!)
4 roma tomatoes diced up in little square pieces
2 handfuls of roasted pine nuts
a bag of spiral pasta boiled to your taste (some people like it a little harder, some like it softer, i'm the softer type)
a bottle of your favorite vinagrette salad dressing

toss everything together except the avocados and pine nuts. add the dressing slowly, coat with however much you want. when you're done tossing everything together add the avocados and pine nuts and gently fold it a bit. voila, a delicious pasta salad that everyone will love! i make it everytime i have some sort of gathering and it gets gobbled up everytime!

if your peeps don't like raw red onions, you can always roast it with some olive oil and salt/pepper, but red onions are so sweet, they go perfectly in this recipe. if you like one ingredient more, you can always pump up the quantity. this recipe is basically foul proof. plus, it taste so good when cold too, so it can last the whole night without spoiling. the only thing you have to be careful with is the dressing, don't go overboard...

have fun, if you decide to use it let me know how it went!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
okay i found two truffled recipes that look promising. i am intrigued by this first one, the smith & wollensky because it's supposed to be the one they make in their restaurants, so it should be really yummy!!!

Smith and Wollensky
Truffled Macaroni & Cheese

Yields 12 – 8oz. portions
Although at Smith & Wollensky we always use black truffles in this recipe, if desired, a variety of different types of domestic and wild mushrooms can be substituted.

2 cups shallots, chopped
½ cup garlic chopped
1 qt. white wine
1 qt. heavy cream
3 ½ cups half and half
2 tsp. black pepper
3 small cubes chicken bouillon
1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
1 cup jalapeno jack cheese, grated
1 ½ cheddar cheese, grated
1 ½ lbs. ditalini or other small pasta (cooked al dente)
¼ cup flour
3/4 cup butter
½ cup truffles, chopped
½ cup truffle oil

Topping:
1 cup Japanese bread crumbs (panko)
½ cup truffle oil
¼ cup chopped truffles
Salt & Pepper (to taste)

Method:
Sweat garlic and shallots in ½ cup butter until translucent. Add white wine and reduce by half. Add in heavy cream, black pepper, chicken bouillon, and half & half. Bring to simmer. In a small saucepan, create a roux by melting the remaining ¼ cup of the butter then mixing in flour. Whisk continually until light blond. Add roux to simmering mixture to thicken. Simmer an additional 10 minutes. Add in all cheeses, truffles, truffle oil. When all cheeses are melted, blend mixture in covered blender, then return to saucepan and bring back to a simmer. Add in pasta, adjust seasonings with salt and pepper, and allow to cool.

For the topping, combine all ingredients and mix well. The resulting bread crumb mixture should have a moist appearance and texture.

Place macaroni and cheese into casserole 8-ounce dishes and evenly spread the topping over each dish and bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until the topping is golden brown. Serve immediately.

and then from TopChef which I think is a TV Show or something?

Dave's Black Truffle Mac and Cheese

1 Tbsp. EVO
1 small shallot, brunoise
6 cloves of roasted garlic
3 oz of black truffles, sliced with truffle shaver
one quart of heavy mfg. cream
one cup of cognac, reduced to demi sec
2 tsp. fresh oregano, finely chopped
2 tsp. fresh thyme stems removed
1 Tbsp. sherry
2 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. white pepper
8 oz. Fontina, finely grated
6 oz Parmiggiano reggiano,finely grated
2 tsp. chipotle Tabasco
2 cups seasoned sourdough croutons, run thru food processor to turn into crumbs
1 lb Fresh pasta noodles (rigatoni or other noodle that will hold sauce), cooked in salt water to al dente

Method:
Heat oil on stove top in stock pot and then add shallots and garlic and heavily sweat until aromatic. Deglaze with sherry and then add fresh herbs, truffles and cream and reduced cognac. Cook over low heat until reduced by half and truffle flavor is infused. Season and add parmesan and Tabasco. To this hot mixture add the cooked and drained noodles and the fontina and mix cheeses are melted. Taste noodles for seasoning and adjust as needed., Set aside.
Other ingredients:
8 oz unsalted butter
3 oz sliced black truffles

Assembly:
Take small 4 -6 oz. baking dish and butter the bottom and sides. Set one slice of truffle on bottom of each dish. Then add noodles and sauce to the dish and top with the crumbled croutons, finely grated truffles and a pinch of the finely grated parmesan and back in the oven at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until mixture is bubbly and toasted on the top.

and then here is the recipe that we use at home, the Martha Stewart Signature Mac n Cheese....though my recipe at home uses a third type of cheese as well, Emmenthaler so the cheddar is less...it's more like 1.5c of each kinda thing. I also use extra sharp cheddar, extra cayenne (the amount called for below you can hardly taste anything so its like it's not there) and extra nutmeg.

Martha’s Signature Mac and Cheese

8 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for dish (1 stick)
6 slices white bread, crusts removed, torn into 1/4 to 1/2 inch pieces ((good quality))
5 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, to taste
4 1/2 cups grated sharp white cheddar cheese (about 18 oz.)
2 cups grated gruyere (about 8 oz.)
grated pecorino romano cheese (about 5 oz.)
1 lb elbow macaroni

1. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Butter a 3-quart casserole dish; set aside. Place the bread in a medium bowl.
3. In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt 2 Tbsp butter.
4. Pour butter into bowl with bread, and toss; set the bread crumbs aside.
5. In a medium saucepan set over medium heat, heat the milk.
6. Melt remaining 6 Tbsp. butter in a high-sided skillet over medium heat. When butter bubbles, add flour.
7. Cook, stirring, 1 minute. While whisking, slowly our in hot milk.
8. Continue cooking, whisking constantly, until the mixture bubbles and becomes thick.
9. Remove pan from heat. Stir in salt, nutmeg, black pepper, cayenne pepper, 3 cup cheddar cheese, and 1 1/2 cup Gruyere or 1 cup Pecorino Romano; set cheese sauce aside. Fill a large saucepan with water; bring to a boil.
10. Add macaroni; cook 2 to 3 min. less than manufacturer's directions, until the outside of the pasta is cooked and the inside is underdone. (Different brands of macaroni cook at different rates; be sure to read the instructions.) Transfer the macaroni to a colander, rinse under cold running water, and drain well.
11. Stir macaroni into the reserved cheese sauce. Pour mixture into prepared dish.
12. Sprinkle remaining 1 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, 1/2 cup Gruyere or 1/4 cup Pecorino Romano, and bread crumbs over top.Bake until browned on top, 30-60 minutes.
13. Transfer dish to a wire rack to cool 5 min.; serve.

I'm so going to try the Smith & Wollensky truffled one next week!!!! Monarch, when are you coming over?!?!!?
3.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
My 13 year old step daughter is a vegetarian. I have to make something she can eat whenever she''s with us. I normally just make a regular meal and then substitute her "meat" with a veggie dog or veggie burger. Morningstar farms also makes some great veggie items so you could do appetizers with the little veggie corn dogs or some of the other things they make. I have a friend that''s a vegetarian and she never expects someone to make something separate or special for her when she goes to dinner parties. she said she normally can get filled up on veggie trays, salads, or whatever other non meat foods are there. Oh and I have a great recipe for a veggie pizza which is great at dinner time as a appetizer or can be served at a breakfast or brunch..

Cold Veggie Pizza:

16 ounces cream cheese -- Softened
1 cup mayonnaise
1 Envelope Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing
1 package Refrigerated Crescent Rolls
1/2 cup chpped broccoli
1/2 cup chopped cauliflower
1/2 cup chopped carrots
1 pkg. shredded mild cheader cheese

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Press out crescent rolls in a jelly roll pan and bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Mix together the cream cheese, mayonnaise and Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing. Pour on top of cooled crescents. Spread the chopped vegetables over pan and top with shredded cheese. Chill several hours or overnight.

nejarb

Shiny_Rock
monarch64: do you like other veggie dogs also, or just the yves? i''ve never tried a veggie dog that i liked. i do like the black bean burgers though (mmm w/ jalapeno jack cheese and avacado!). i didn''t ever eat hotdogs or hamburgers, so it''s not like a meat sub for me. it''s just that in certain situations, like at a TX style BBQ or cookout type situation, it''s convenient b/c the grill is going and if that''s wwhat everyone is eating it''s not exactly cool to whip out fish and veggies for the grill! so just looking for a good veggie dog. maybe i''ll try yves next time.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Veggie here too!
35.gif
Here''s something that most people like and it''s pretty easy to make (when I make it as my main meal at my in-laws'', everyone eats it all up and there''s nothing left for me
29.gif
).

Eggplant Tart

1 medium-ish eggplant
5 or so roma tomatoes
garlic
pine nuts
thyme
cheese- I always use smoked gouda but you can also use goat cheese
pie crust
2 tb olive oil

Basically you sautee the cubed eggplant with the olive oil and garlic- salt and pepper to taste. You then dice the tomatoes and put them in the pie crust. Then add the eggplant, diced cheese, pine nuts, and thyme (to taste). Bake in oven for approx 20-30 mins on 425. So good!!!!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/7/2006 6:31:18 PM
Author: nejarb
monarch64: do you like other veggie dogs also, or just the yves? i''ve never tried a veggie dog that i liked. i do like the black bean burgers though (mmm w/ jalapeno jack cheese and avacado!). i didn''t ever eat hotdogs or hamburgers, so it''s not like a meat sub for me. it''s just that in certain situations, like at a TX style BBQ or cookout type situation, it''s convenient b/c the grill is going and if that''s wwhat everyone is eating it''s not exactly cool to whip out fish and veggies for the grill! so just looking for a good veggie dog. maybe i''ll try yves next time.
I discovered the Yves brand after I had a veggie dog at the ballpark this past spring...it tasted so much like the real thing that I almost spat out the first bite--I thought they made a mistake and had given me a real hot dog! DH reassured me that a real hot dog did not come wrapped in tin foil the way mine was, though, and I ate the rest of it...it was fantastic. I did some research on the internet when I got home that day and found out that the Yves brand is what they use at Wrigley Field, and then I found them in our local Jewel (Albertson''s) by the other fake meats and tofu. My only complaint is that they come in a package of 8 like regular dogs, and I maybe eat 2-3 of those before they expire. DH doesn''t eat them and it''s just the two of us...and I don''t have any veggie friends I could invite over to eat the rest, lol!

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Oh WOW! So many great recipes!
Martha''s mac ''n cheese sounds amazing! I''m going to have to definitely make that one! It''s fancy and comfort food. Mac ''n cheese can''t possibly be foo -foo (whatever the heck that is!), so I can sneak in something fancy. Although it does sounds a bit like a heart-attack waiting to happen. I have to make sure my inlaws don''t suspect me of trying to kill of my future fil!
And the eggplant tart sounds perfect! We love Mediterranean dishes, and it''ll at least appear to be healthy! Anything with goat cheese, pine nuts, and tomatoes gets my vote! Plus I can show off my pie-crust making skills!
5.gif

Thanks everyone!
35.gif
35.gif
I now have some great dishes to submit to the veggie cooking general.
20.gif
9.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh I wanted to check in on this and update!...we were in Vegas this last weekend and we went to Smith & Wollensky for some lobster and steak....and ordered of course the truffled mac and cheese. DIVINE. It was Greg, me and his sister and all three of us were like 'omg this is amazing'. So definitely trying to make that at home. However it's SUPER rich. You probably can't have it as a main dish, it's definitely best as a side where you can just take a little bit. I had about three full spoonfulls probably with the entire dinner because it was just so rich. But SUPER yummy.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/5/2006 8:37:04 PM
Author: Kit

Okay, let me jump in here since my mother's family is Italian. You will (hopefully) impress them if you cook some fish dishes, the 7 fishes Christmas Eve dinner is a tradition in Italy and many Italian American families practice it. It is wonderful and you can do so many dishes! Tradition dictates that you make 7 dishes with fish, but really you can just make whatever you want.
As a non-Itallian with an italian FI... who has gotten stuck doing the 7 fishes Christmas Eve hosting I'd like to say... that it's a difficult tradition IMO for non-italians to adapt to. With Fish... most things have to be cooked RIGHT before serving. The kitchen gets to be a mess, there is never enough burners.. and the oven is WAY overloaded. Plus there are always the non-fish eating BIL and SIL's who aren't italian either. I hate it.
I do:
Salmon Picatta
Coconut Prawns
Drunken Mussells
Calamari Marinara
Scallops wrapped in bacon
Deep fried whitefish
Plus either Clam Chowder or Lobster Bisque.
Then a Prime Rib roast for the non-fish eaters.

The person stuck hosting... even with the best time management skills NEVER enjoys Christmas Eve with a meal like this.

ETA: I've done it for 4 years running.

AceP

Shiny_Rock
Premium
If you''re still looking, i have a few for ya. I''m at my office and don''t have the recipes on me but will get them later if you''re interested in any of these. One is an extremely yummy grilled salmon salad from the Barefoot Contessa. It''s salmon filet, capers, red onion, celery, dill, raspberry vinegar and a few other things i''m forgetting. a really great make-ahead. I also have a recipe for wild mushroom crostini that always gets rave reviews. you can make the mushroom topping and the bread part separately and combine when you''re ready to serve. it''s a nice side or an appetizer. a more nibbly type appetizer that i love are goat cheese and pistachio apricots. that probably doesn''t qualify as "comfort food," however. stuffed mushrooms come in all types of variations and are generally crowd pleasers...

AmantdeChat

Brilliant_Rock
I just had this today at our office potluck holiday lunch and it was great!
18.gif

Calico Salad

1 can French-style green beans
1 can baby peas
1 can shoepeg corn
1 sm. jar pimento

Drain and combine.

3 stalks celery
1 carrot
1 green pepper
1 med. onion

Dice into 3/8 chunks and add to mix.

3/4 cup cider vinegar
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup vegetable or olive oil

Add to mixture. Set in fridge for 24 hours.

AceP

Shiny_Rock
Premium
just thought of another, for breakfast/lunch - smoked salmon tea sandwiches with herb butter. another Barefoot Contessa recipe that i''ve hauled to both brunches and cocktail parties, and people love them. they''re great to make ahead and so so good - the homemade herb butter is to die for.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results