shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP: Need to pick between GOG AVC and ERD "Custom" Cushion

smokey99

Shiny_Rock
Re: HELP: Need to pick between GOG AVC and ERD "Custom" Cush

Thats the point of a vintage cushion look though, no? Big bold chunkiness and bigger flashes of light as opposed to smaller, faster scintillation...
I think the AVC line pulls this off extremely well. I think this is especially useful on a smaller ct weight stone where because of the size, you're talking about even smaller facets and reflections on different cuts. I feel like those bigger facets and flashes would give a smaller stone a bigger 'presence'.
That said, both stones look very, very nice! I think that AVC you chose is going to be stunning. PLease post pics when you get the ring!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Rhino|1317145145|3026990 said:
CharmyPoo|1316980042|3025264 said:
ecf8503|1316956539|3024969 said:
As the owner of a beautiful AVC, I can actually agree with you! The maltese cross does overpower the stone and IMO makes it look smaller sometimes.

I don't think it makes it look smaller but I am not a fan of the large maltese cross either. This is one of the reasons why I still want a true antique stone.

If I may ask Charmy, and if you had your choice ... in diamonds cut in the vintage facet design you have one of 4 different options.

1. Primarily head/body obstruction under the table.
2. Primarily light leakage under the table, resulting in more of a crushed ice look under the table.
3. A mixture of one or both of the above with some light return resulting in smaller broken up reflections.
4. Each of the primary mains under the table reflecting light (AVC).

If you could change anything about the optics of your diamond what would it be?

In genuine antiques you generally don't have that choice. You got what you got as they were not cut for optics whatsoever. But if you could take away the bold reflections of light you experience in natural lighting what would you suggest replacing those reflections with? Curious.

Kind regards,

Hi Jon!
I'm a little late to this discussion, but I do have a question.
What does "cut for optics" mean?

slg47

Ideal_Rock

Rockdiamond|1317233955|3028008 said:
As the owner of a beautiful AVC, I can actually agree with you! The maltese cross does overpower the stone and IMO makes it look smaller sometimes.

I don't think it makes it look smaller but I am not a fan of the large maltese cross either. This is one of the reasons why I still want a true antique stone.

If I may ask Charmy, and if you had your choice ... in diamonds cut in the vintage facet design you have one of 4 different options.

2. Primarily light leakage under the table, resulting in more of a crushed ice look under the table.
3. A mixture of one or both of the above with some light return resulting in smaller broken up reflections.

In genuine antiques you generally don't have that choice. You got what you got as they were not cut for optics whatsoever. But if you could take away the bold reflections of light you experience in natural lighting what would you suggest replacing those reflections with? Curious.

Kind regards,

Hi Jon!

really? again?

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

slg47|1317239340|3028089 said:
Rockdiamond|1317233955|3028008 said:

Kind regards,

Hi Jon!

really? again?

Seriously. David, we've been down this path many times.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Interesting- you guys don't feel Jon can answer on his own?
I have a lot of confidence that he can.
If there are other discussions where Jon explains his usage of the term "cut for optics", please link to them, and I'll be happy to take a look at them.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

Anyways, let's ignore and proceed.

Thoughts on Jon's question? I know a few of us talked about not liking the large Maltese cross ... but seriously... take that away and what would you put there? His question turned on a light bulb for me ... it truly never occured to me.

chamois

Brilliant_Rock

I have a 1.82 AVC and I can see that some people wouldn't be too keen on the Maltese Cross. However, to achieve the chunky nature (which I adore) of the AVC and the light performance what else could go in it's place for a better overall look for the people that don't favour the cross ? Any ideas ?

aweiss2k

Rough_Rock

Hey all,

I just wanted to let everyone know that I went with the AVC, but am having Mark at ERD do the setting. He just sent me the CAD renderings, which I wanted to share. The only difference between the renderings and the final product will be the removal of the prongs - the final will be exclusively bezel set. I have to admit, the idea for the split shank was "inspired" by a Leon Mege design, and I think it worked out really well here. Can't wait to see the final product!

ring4_8.jpg
ring3_8.jpg
ring2_11.jpg
ring5_6.jpg
ring1_17.jpg

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock

aweiss--That ring is going to be a STUNNER! I cannot wait to see the finished product.

As for the discussion re: AVCs, I love them. The Maltese cross bothered me in the beginning as well, but now I'm wondering if they're really that noticeable in person. They do distract me in photos, and the cross is all I see, but I'm guessing that in person it just looks like a mesmerizing fireball.

I hope to find out for myself one day!

(edited)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh, that setting will be gorgeous! I actually prefer it with the prongs, though!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006|1319133024|3044277 said:
Oh, that setting will be gorgeous! I actually prefer it with the prongs, though!

I do, too! It looks AMAZING though! Do you know if it will be able to sit flush with a wedding band?

Also, do you know what size the melee are?

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock

I think Jon's going to knock this answer out of the park for reasons I'll wait for him to explain. I love you both to bits but I do agree with David that his question was addressed to Jon. I feel that some of us are quite aggressive with David and I don't understand. Let's be friendly with each other. We're all part of the same community. David is a reputable vendor, has a lot of experience in the industry, and has an interesting site full of wonderful eye candy. BTW, I like David's vintage style cushions in addition to Jon's and others I've seen. Group hug!

natascha

Brilliant_Rock

If I could design my own AVC :D I would want the center of my OMC from 1866 ( or at least the original setting is from 1866, the OMC could be older but not to much).

I suck at taking photos so I don't have any that shows the pattern, and with it's current setting I hate taking photos of it. But basically while my stone is an elongated cushion/ oval the table is pretty small and nearly round. When you look into it it looks like 8 petals surrounding the culet and they are nearly the same size. So you don't get the dominating Maltese cross effect but you still get broad and chunky flashes. Like if you took an AVC, made the table a tad smaller, the culet a tad bigger and the each of the mains the same size.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

The ring is going to be gorgeous-really looking forward to the final result!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock

I like AVC's with large culets (the larger the better). I like them rectangular with the culet oriented in the same way as the rectangular stones. I'd buy one in a high clarity and low color (I like warmer colors) in a heartbeat if I could right now. So the AVC in the OP isn't my favorite one but I'd definitely choose it over the ERD stone in this thread as the cut pattern of this one seems busy to me personally. Any AVC is going to be stunning though, IMHO. Congrats, OP! I like the setting you chose too. This is going to be a beautiful ring!

aweiss2k

Rough_Rock

Laila619 said:
...Do you know if it will be able to sit flush with a wedding band? Also, do you know what size the melee are?

The final version was modified to allow for a flush fit. If you look at the second photo down, you can see a small "bump" that extends out from the top of the ring. That was actually removed so that a band can sit flush - this is reflected in the fourth photo which was actually an update.

I'm not sure about the size of the melee.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Imdanny said:
I think Jon's going to knock this answer out of the park for reasons I'll wait for him to explain. I love you both to bits but I do agree with David that his question was addressed to Jon. I feel that some of us are quite aggressive with David and I don't understand. Let's be friendly with each other. We're all part of the same community. David is a reputable vendor, has a lot of experience in the industry, and has an interesting site full of wonderful eye candy. BTW, I like David's vintage style cushions in addition to Jon's and others I've seen. Group hug!

Thank you Danny.

If I may, awqeiss- wow! that's going to be an amazing ring!

I am very interested in Jon's answer- but I'd be just as happy if we start a new thread as clearly, the semantics of optics are important, but this ring project is exciting, and I don't want to threadjack

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium

That is going to be a beautiful ring! Please remember to post pics. :)

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

That is one awesome design .. I love it. I am not sure if you knew but that shank isn't a LM original - it actually is modelled after the cartier ballerine design :)

aweiss2k

Rough_Rock

I just wanted to post some pics of the final product. It took longer than expected because when ERD first built the ring, the included prongs - something I had specifically requested they not do. When I first saw them, I was really worried about how to proceed, but Mark was incredible. He IMMEDIATELY offered to re-do the ring from scratch, and paid to overnight FedEx the first edition to me and back to New York just so I could see it in person and be sure I wanted a re-do. I cannot say enough about his professionalism and commitment to customer service.

Below are pics of the initial setting (with prongs) as we as the final version. Mark told me he would likely have to set it slightly lower without the prongs, but I can't tell at all (and I measured both versions pretty carefully). I also attached a few quick pics I took with my camera phone...I'll take a few more with the Nikon SLR shortly.

Overall, I am completely thrilled with how the piece turned out and with ERD.

Original (with prongs):

Split%20Sjank%20V1-2.jpg
Split%20Shank%20V1-1.jpg

Final Version (without prongs):

Split%20Shank%20V2-2.jpg
Split%20Shank%20V2-1.jpg
IMG_20111203_194943.jpg
IMG_20111203_194641.jpg

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Wow! Beautiful! Looking forward to the SLR pics!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh my, that is a gorgeous, stunning, ring!!! :love: :love: :love: :appl: Very, very well done!

When are you proposing?

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gorgeous!!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock

It's perfect! Congratulations - you did a fantastic job. :appl:

aweiss2k

Rough_Rock

I took some photos this afternoon with my Nikon D50. I don't have a macro lens, so getting in tight while maintaining a good focus was challenging, but you can definitely get a better sense of the ring. The white balance was also an issue, so please excuse the varying warmth/coolness on these. As you know, both the metal and the stones are crispy white in reality:

DSC_4880.NEF.jpg
DSC_4874.NEF.jpg
DSC_4907.NEF.jpg
DSC_4840.NEF.jpg
DSC_4855.NEF.jpg
DSC_4861.NEF.jpg
DSC_4843.NEF.jpg
DSC_4831.NEF.jpg
DSC_4821.jpg
DSC_4905.NEF.jpg
DSC_4848.NEF.jpg
DSC_4892.NEF.jpg
DSC_4906.NEF.jpg
DSC_4846.NEF.jpg

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I added your beauty to the Cushions thread. :naughty:

StoopidMonkey

Shiny_Rock

Very nice! Your AVC looks so much nicer than that crushed ice looking stone in the original sample picture!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results