shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Need opinions about this cushion cut diamond *PICS*

urasia

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone! I was hoping I could get some opinions in regards to purchasing a cushion cut diamond online. This one has really caught my eye and I am very close to taking the plunge, however, since it is such a huge purchase for me I wanted to get some advice from the experts on here.

I've seen some cushions online with a 'crushed ice' appearance which does not appeal to me as they can look dull/lackluster. Also, I had read somewhere a large portion of cushions are cut this way to save the carat weight and therefore more margin friendly.

What are your opinions on this one? From an untrained eye I really like the cut as I think it looks very unique but is this considered to be great cut aesthetically in general?

I am happy with the color/clarity/ratio (I'm not really interested in a square) but would still love your thoughts on this!

I really am very new to this so any input would be really appreciated :)

capture5.png

capture3.png

_455.png

MikeBotha

Rough_Rock
Trade
Re: Help! Need opinions about this cushion cut diamond *PICS

Do you have a copy of the grading report to check the proportions? I totally agree with you to avoid flat cushions with the crushed ice look. Another style of cushion to avoid are those with round stone characteristics and extremely thin to thick girdles.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You need to ask for an aset image. *I* think there may be quite a bit of mush under the table but hard to tell from still photos.

Can you also put the diamond on hold then provide us with a link?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MikeBotha|1412596499|3762848 said:
Do you have a copy of the grading report to check the proportions? I totally agree with you to avoid flat cushions with the crushed ice look. Another style of cushion to avoid are those with round stone characteristics and extremely thin to thick girdles.

Can you explain specifics about this? I'm not sure what you mean. Avoid more rounded corners or something else?

urasia

Rough_Rock

Hi, thanks so much for your reply! Stats are below, I'm appreciating the input!

Depth %:68.40
Table %:62.00
L/W Ratio: 1.14

Polish:Excellent Crown : Symmetry:Excellent Crown

Girdle: Medium - Very Thick
Culet:None
Fluorescence:None

_22986.jpg

_22987.jpg

urasia

Rough_Rock

Bump. Anyone?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

It's not likely to ASET out well, that one. I see a lot of mush and a lot of leakage. Pass. Unless you can get an ASET that proves me wrong (unlikely).

urasia

Rough_Rock

Thanks Gypsy, I've requested an ASET image which should come in a few days.

I've also queried about 'mush' under the table and was assured there wasn't any at all. I was also told, when you turn the diamond you can see the pavilion mains extending the whole way

Below is a link to the stone and video so you can see how the facets perform under what is described as a 'real life viewing experience'

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.91-carat-f-color-vvs1-clarity-sku-188192

What has drawn me to this one is the unique geometric pattern, unlike any other cushion I've seen so far. The shape is incredible and one of a kind and the polished/faceted girdle etc... show real attention to detail in my opinion.

The light play, although not 'dancing' or 'lighting up like a fireball' as some other stones are sometimes described, reminds me of music or a piano being played. But maybe this is just me looking at it from an amateurs point of view, I would love to hear some thoughts on this.

I have only started looking at stones this week though, so I don't want to rush into anything or make a bad decision. But this is the only one that really caught my eye and will cost more than 20K, which is a lot of money for me.

This will be my ering and will be set from under the girdle in a way that most of the stone will be visible. Almost as if it is floating on air.
I really do appreciate any further input I could get so that I can make a wise decision.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Oh there is mush. Trust me. Lots of it too. Plus a bowtie.

The sales people at JA aren't good with fancies. In general, it's best just to ignore their advice. They keep calling stones that don't have crushed ice faceting crushed ice, the pick poor stones and in general cause confusion. I wish someone would pay me to educate them!

That stone is going to be seriously underwhelming I'm afraid. Still... get the ASET.

DO you want me to search for some better ones? You get 3 ASETs might as well use them. And please, allow us to chose them... we have experience with this that will help.

What is your budget and what do you want?

Also please remember that spread not weight is what matters with cushions.

urasia

Rough_Rock

Thanks Gypsy, if you could describe to me where the mush is I would really appreciate it as I'm having trouble seeing it.

If you could do a search for me I would be so grateful. As I said previously, I'm very new to this.

I'm looking for ideally a stone in a more rectangular shape (no squares), 1.6-2 carats, at least a H and VS2, although I'm open to any advice you may have in regards to this. Budget would like to keep below 20k.

Thanks so much! I really appreciate the help here as this is a huge investment for me as well as sentimental.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gypsy, what's 'mush'?

urasia

Rough_Rock

Hi Gypsy, do you mean we are supposed to get 3 ASET images from JA?

I was told that I could only have 1 so I needed to be really sure about which one I chose to do the ASET. What should I be asking the gemologist to look for/comment on?

"ASET images are a one time complimentary service that we offer on your final selection"

"What would you like the gemologist to comment on specifically while we are getting the ASET taken?"

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Yes. You get 3 per purchase at JA. Whoever told you get one is giving you wrong information.

You haven't gotten any ASETs up until now right?

And if you do only get one, THAT cushion is a poor choice.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

kenny|1412644231|3763376 said:
Gypsy, what's 'mush'?

An entire thread on mush:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/mush-in-cushions-and-aset.177647/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/mush-in-cushions-and-aset.177647/[/URL]

2_156.jpg See that white around the edges of the table? That's leakage from mushy facets. They don't reflect light they leak it. This is what it looks like with a white background

Another mushy ASET this one with black background:

1_114.jpg

It's all that indistinct grey under the table.

See how distinct all the facets on this cushion are under the table: http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.00-carat-g-color-vs2-clarity-sku-288154 This is what you want. Contrast, sharp facets that flash on and off, very DISTINCT facets.

Here is your cushion and red red shows all the mush. And below is the cushion I posted above. See the contrast? No mush.

cushion_mush.png

index.png

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

This is what you want to see on an ASET:

50456897.jpg

This what the still looks like on that:
http://www.pricescope.com/files/images/3_117.jpg[img]

This is from Victor Canera, it shows mush in antique faceted stones very well. And you can translate that to modern cushions.

This cushion ASET is on a black background. And those facets at the edge of the table where the green is lighter? That's mush too. Black background ASETs unfornunately make ASETs look better than they are and can be a bit misleading, so you have to know how to read them. This cushion here:
[ATTACH=full]562499[/ATTACH]

One a white background would ASET out more like this one:
[ATTACH=full]562500[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]412574[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• aset-cac-vs-generic.jpg
    aset-cac-vs-generic.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 1,789
  • _17721.jpg
    _17721.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 2_156.jpg
    2_156.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 20

urasia

Rough_Rock

Thanks! That makes it much clearer.

The diamond you posted does look amazing though, however I was having difficulty finding anything like that in the size I was looking for.

I really appreciate all your help with this as I really want to find the perfect cushion for myself.

I have emailed JA asking about how many ASET images I can have. If you could help me to choose some better candidates, I would be forever grateful. The one I have chosen is already being sent to their office so I may not have a lot of time to pick out 2 others.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

This is how I predict that cushion of yours will ASET out like (though your facet arrangement is a different pattern).

_794.jpg

In contrast this is what you want to see:
1465429.jpg

What are you looking for?
Budget? Size? Color? Clarity???

Let me look for you. There are a number of vendors that have nice cushions. And if none of them have anything, then you can always have GOG or ERD source one for you.

Don't buy an inferior stone because you can't find something at one particular vendor. There are a lot of cushions out there due to their popularity. So you can find something amazing I'm sure.

Have them cancel the one ASET. Don't let their policies and their sales people's bad advice push you around. Cancel that one, and we'll see what we can find for you.

urasia

Rough_Rock

Thanks Gypsy, you have been amazing and I'm so grateful you are taking the time to help me out. This is really important to me and since I'm quite particular (and sentimental) I really don't want to make a decision i'll regret later.

JA said they will allow an additional 2 stones for the ASET.

My budget is around 20K max. Size 1.6 - 2 carats give or take.
I did really like the colour and clarity of this one I chose. So anything G colour, VS1 clarity or above I'll be happy to consider.
No visible inclusions.
I have my heart set on more rectangular (not too rectangular though), so no squares.

Since I'm a newbie to this, I'm also open to any and all suggestions so feel free to let me know if I'm not on the right path.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

SO many VS2's are eyeclean (SI1's too actually). If your goal is eyeclean and safe the large majority of VS2's will be fine. SO do you mind if I expand your clarity requirements to VS2?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

OK. So you are right, the pickings are slim on JA. Especially if you want a rectangle. And I had to relax clarity.

Here's what I found and they are both square:
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.70-carat-f-color-vs2-clarity-sku-189551 Possibly eyeclean, and may ASET out well.
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.71-carat-d-color-si1-clarity-sku-349647 Antique faceted and gorgeous. And it's going to be eyeclean. But it's not a modern cushion.

So neither of them are exactly what you are looking for. And I didn't see anything else worth your time.

That said, at GOG there is this stone: http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/CU799G/ Ask for images and an ASET. But it's square too.

SO, that's the bad new.
What's the good news.

First, here are some B2C finds:
http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-6330451-1.71-carat-Cushion-diamond-F-color-VS2-clarity.aspx A small bit of mush, but an acceptable amount. Extremely budget friendly and rectangular. So I am posting it for you.

And second, you have a very healthy and realistic budget. I personally would call GOG and tell them you want an eyeclean G VS2 or better RECTANGULAR cushion (ratio of 1.1 to 1.2 preferred) 1.7 carats or larger with exceptional performance (as good as their signature modern line) and a budget of 20K and have them source one for you.

Personally, I would just get on the phone now with GOG.

urasia

Rough_Rock

Thanks so much Gypsy, you are a true lifesaver and have been a truly invaluable source of information in my search for the perfect cushion, and for that I can't thank you enough!

You may also have just saved me from spending 22k on a stone that may be lifeless/inferior to other options out there as initially I was feeling a little anxious/pressured to commit to the sale.

I have emailed GOG and a gentleman named David has responded to my request. He seems lovely, do I need to ask for anyone in particular or will I be in good hands with anyone there?

Also, calling them is quite expensive from Australia, do you think email is fine or should I speak to them in person?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Email is fine as long as they respond. If they stop responding, ask them to call you. :) Or call them.

I've heard good things about David. If anything hinky happens (unlikely) escalate to Jon or Sarah.

Also make sure they do a video of the top contenders for you. A long one. :wavey:

kappy

Rough_Rock

urasia,
I wanted to chime in to endorse David. He assisted my boyfriend and I in purchasing our cushion (it is off to be set at the moment). He was very attentive and patient. You are in good hands!

urasia

Rough_Rock

Gypsy|1412739852|3764071 said:
Email is fine as long as they respond. If they stop responding, ask them to call you. :) Or call them.

I've heard good things about David. If anything hinky happens (unlikely) escalate to Jon or Sarah.

Also make sure they do a video of the top contenders for you. A long one. :wavey:

Thanks Gypsy, I will be sure to ask them to do that once they find a few contenders to battle it out haha! I love their online videos, they have been so informative as well!!

urasia

Rough_Rock

kappy|1412740545|3764074 said:
urasia,
I wanted to chime in to endorse David. He assisted my boyfriend and I in purchasing our cushion (it is off to be set at the moment). He was very attentive and patient. You are in good hands!

Hi Kappy, thanks for the endorsement advice, it's very reassuring! I'm sure I am in excellent hands with David and will be just as happy as you and your BF with my final selection :)

urasia

Rough_Rock

Gypsy|1412652600|3763440 said:
This is what you want to see on an ASET:

50456897.jpg

This what the still looks like on that:
http://www.pricescope.com/files/images/3_117.jpg[img]

This is from Victor Canera, it shows mush in antique faceted stones very well. And you can translate that to modern cushions.

This cushion ASET is on a black background. And those facets at the edge of the table where the green is lighter? That's mush too. Black background ASETs unfornunately make ASETs look better than they are and can be a bit misleading, so you have to know how to read them. This cushion here:
[ATTACH=full]562646[/ATTACH]

One a white background would ASET out more like this one:
[ATTACH=full]562647[/ATTACH][/quote]

Just wanted to provide an update. I received the ASET images from JA for the 2 cushions you suggested as well as the one I was initially looking at. I think your prediction was pretty close! I'd still love to hear your thoughts on these though.

The one I picked:
[url=http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.91-carat-f-color-vvs1-clarity-sku-188192]http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.91-carat-f-color-vvs1-clarity-sku-188192[/url]

The one you thought might ASET well.
[url=http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.70-carat-f-color-vs2-clarity-sku-189551]http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.70-carat-f-color-vs2-clarity-sku-189551[/url] P

[ATTACH=full]412975[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]412976[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]412977[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]412978[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• _23160.jpg
    _23160.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 1,548
  • _460.png
    _460.png
    143.1 KB · Views: 1,591
  • _23161.jpg
    _23161.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 1,549
  • 189551cushion.jpg
    189551cushion.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 1,560
  • 2_156.jpg
    2_156.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 19
  • _17721.jpg
    _17721.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 18

urasia

Rough_Rock

And the second one you suggested:
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.71-carat-d-color-si1-clarity-sku-349647

Just FYI, below is the Gemologist's review of all 3:

188192, the 1.91ct F/VVS1, this diamond has a very unique faceting style closer to a radiant cut. The gemologist said that the faceting is very busy, glassy and like a kaleidoscope but not quite true "crushed ice." The body color is very nice and this diamond faces up white. It is also a very clean diamond due to the high clarity grade. After viewing the diamond in fluorescent, diffused and natural lighting there are areas that have some light leakage but it does not detract from the overall beauty and unique sparkle of the diamond.

The gemologists top recommendation is diamond 189551, the 1.70ct F/VS2. This diamond is their personal favorite with its overall sparkle/outline appeal and wonderful balance of brightness. This diamond also has the best fire and scintillation out of the three. It has a wonderful crown that helps to capture the light and deliver great fire. In various types of lighting there is minor light leakage but the diamond is definitely bright and lively. The VS crystal is not eye visible and the diamond has interesting activity throughout.

The third diamond we evaluated is 349647, the 1.71ct D/SI1. This diamond is most reminiscent of traditional antique cushion cuts. It is the whitest diamond of the three, true to a D color. The cut of this diamond involves large chunky facets that offer broad areas of white light complimented by areas of opposing patterns. The faceting pattern is consistent with movement through all lighting conditions. This diamond is eye clean but the inclusions and fluorescence seem to be causing a slight cloudiness that is detectable by a trained eye.

_23162.jpg

349647cushion.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Forgot you wanted a rectangle. If you want a rectangle. Don't settle. There is enough selection out there in cushions that BE or GOG will be able to find you a gorgeous rectangular stone.

urasia

Rough_Rock

Hi Gypsy, thanks for your input.

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to to pass on these JA ones, the one I liked did not ASET out very well and I can see there is quite a bit of mush and light leakage going on there.

I really do have my heart set on a rectangular cushion and have been in contact with GOG who are currently sourcing some diamonds for me so fingers crossed I will find a winner soon!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results