shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP! My dog might be dying?! =(

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

wishinpink

Brilliant_Rock
I have a pembroke welsh corgi- he''s been my dog ever since I was 10 years old (I''m 23 now).

I''m currently in NY for my piano auditions, and I got a text message from my brother this morning that my dog might be dying!

He can''t move, can''t get up, and is really thirsty ( drank 2 bowls of water). My dog usually loves food but now putting food in front of this face doesn''t even make him raise his head. He doesn''t even pick up or move his head when asked to come he doesn''t even move or pick up his head, he just rolled his eyes up for a second and looked straight ahead.

This is all told by my brother.

I''m absolutely frantic right now- I''m in NY and I can''t do anything- no one is home, my brother had to go to class and my dad had to go to work, and I''m so afraid my dog is dying and I have no idea what is wrong with him.

Does anyone by any chance know what is going on with him? Or what I should do? I''m totally distraught and panicking, I''ve had my dog for more than half my life, and I cannot imagine not having my dog.I don''t want my dog to suffer... what is wrong with him?

tlh

Ideal_Rock
This is terribly sad. I do not know what could be going on with him. I know any change in behavior can be a cause for concern. I would ask your brother to take him to the vet to determine what is going on. Do you not travel much? Some dogs can be quite attached to their owners, and get sad when they leave.

***DUST*** that he will be alright.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, Rosebud, I''m so sorry. I hope he''s OK!
7.gif

I have three dogs of my own, one of whom is an eight-year-old Great Dane who I''ve had since he was ten weeks old. His health has been going downhill lately, and we know that it''s just a matter of time until we lose him, so I kinda know how you''re feeling. (((HUGS)))
emrose.gif

luvmyhalo

Brilliant_Rock
Oh gosh, I''m so sorry! Definitely have your brother take him to the vet to check him out. I''m sending good doggie thoughts your way!!! Hugs!

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Our family dog that I got when I was 13 passed 2 years ago this month. I was devastated. I''m so sorry you are going through this. You are never ready when the time comes to let them go. Just remember he is well loved, no matter where he is.

wishinpink

Brilliant_Rock
My brother cannot take him to the vet because he's stuck in class, and I keep calling my dad to take him to the vet, but he can't get away from work but says he'll try to when he can.

AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! I'm going crazy!

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can your father leave work to take him to the vet? If not, your brother needs to take him as soon as he gets out of class. If there's chance your regular vet will see him today, then I'd call there now to talk to them about what is going on and to pre-arrange an appointment time for your brother. If they won't, I would call an e-vet (does your brother have one near him) and tell them what is going on and that your brother will be taking him in at such and such time.

ETA: Just saw your update. Like I suggested, I'd get on the phone with your vet and let them know what is going on. Then, you can tell your brother or father where and when to take him and the vet will have an idea of what is going on before he gets there.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Get someone to get him to a vet ASAP, there might be a lot that can be done if he is given professional help quickly.

wishinpink

Brilliant_Rock
I called the local vet and told them about the situation, and they''ll try to fit my dog in. Meanwhile, my dad''s still at work-- he''s kind of the only option of who can take my dog to the vet.... I already called him twice and sent him an email to go take my dog to the vet, but he keeps saying he can''t get away from work!!!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Its no wonder you are so frantic if nobody will take the poor dog to the vets! If I was you I would get your brother to cut class and get him there... or tell your dad to suddenly develop an upset stomach or something so he can leave work!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/2/2009 1:16:44 PM
Author: Maisie
Its no wonder you are so frantic if nobody will take the poor dog to the vets! If I was you I would get your brother to cut class and get him there... or tell your dad to suddenly develop an upset stomach or something so he can leave work!
Ditto!

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When my oldest dog exhibited the same symptoms, it was a very bad urinary tract infection. Your pup has to be seen as soon as possible so the Vet can do bloodwork, take his temp and give him a full once over.

luvmyhalo

Brilliant_Rock
Is there a friend of someone else available to take him? Oh gosh, I''m so sorry you''re having to deal with this while out of town.

wishinpink

Brilliant_Rock
I AM very frantic!

1. That my dad won''t just leave work and take my dog to the vet
2. That there''s something seriously wrong with my dog!!

My brother isn''t really an option because he doesn''t know how to handle my dog really. The only people in my family who know how to handle my dog are me and my dad. We''re the ones that usually take him to the vet or grooming or feed him medicine, etc. I need my dad to stop working and bring my dog to the vet!!! But then my dad keeps saying, he doesn''t think it''s that serious yet..... Granted I"m not there, but my dog is very old, and none of these symptoms seem to me as "not very serious!"

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
7.gif
If your dog can''t even move there is definitely something wrong with him. I am so sad for you and your pet.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/2/2009 1:21:12 PM
Author: rosebud10
I AM very frantic!

1. That my dad won''t just leave work and take my dog to the vet
2. That there''s something seriously wrong with my dog!!

My brother isn''t really an option because he doesn''t know how to handle my dog really. The only people in my family who know how to handle my dog are me and my dad. We''re the ones that usually take him to the vet or grooming or feed him medicine, etc. I need my dad to stop working and bring my dog to the vet!!! But then my dad keeps saying, he doesn''t think it''s that serious yet..... Granted I''m not there, but my dog is very old, and none of these symptoms seem to me as ''not very serious!''
Oh, I''m so sorry. I don''t know what to tell you other than you have to convince your dad that it is that serious. Sometimes, men just don''t get it. I don''t know why. But, I''ve noticed this myself lately, and it can be so frustrating!

When does your brother get out of class? Maybe you can talk him through it over the phone. I''m sure he can pick your dog up, put him in the car and drive, right?

I''m really so sorry you have to go through this.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
start looking for on call or mobile vets. is there a way for a vet to get in the house for an emergency?

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Oh my God, I am so sorry...

I hope someone can get him to the vet ASAP...but don''t let him drink to much water...he can develope bloat, and thats a bad thing. If he''s thristy, ask your brother or dad to give him ice cubes instead until your vet can better guide you.

**dusting**

wishinpink

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/2/2009 1:46:43 PM
Author: Italiahaircolor
Oh my God, I am so sorry...

I hope someone can get him to the vet ASAP...but don''t let him drink to much water...he can develope bloat, and thats a bad thing. If he''s thristy, ask your brother or dad to give him ice cubes instead until your vet can better guide you.

**dusting**

Yes, I told my brother to stop giving him water.. i know he was trying to help, but it can''t be normal for my dog to drink that much water!

tradergirl

Brilliant_Rock
Could be acute kidney or liver failure. Either one can be stabilized with subcutaneous fluids. Just get him to a vet somehow.

"Handling" the dog should not be an issue. He can be carried into the vet.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
How infuriating that your dog is so sick he cannot move, yet your father and brother can''t see the urgency of this situation and just take him to the vet! I pray for you that your dog is okay, I''m so sorry you''re going through this! I''m just...befuddled that your family members are not being more responsible. Ugh, I''m just sorry.

wishinpink

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/2/2009 1:55:07 PM
Author: NewEnglandLady
How infuriating that your dog is so sick he cannot move, yet your father and brother can''t see the urgency of this situation and just take him to the vet! I pray for you that your dog is okay, I''m so sorry you''re going through this! I''m just...befuddled that your family members are not being more responsible. Ugh, I''m just sorry.

I have no idea why my dad is acting like this. I''m very upset. I wish I was home. If I were home, I would''ve taken him to the vet first thing...

Erin

Ideal_Rock
I''m going to bet my money that he is diabetic. These are the signs with my dog. Yes, keep letting him drink water right now and of course take him out often. The quicker a vet can diagnose this and give him insulin the quicker he will recover. Take him to a vet immediately.

Symptoms: Symptoms include but are not limited to: Drinking more, urinating more, weight loss, increased appetite, dehydration, and sudden cataract formation. If diabetes remains uncontrolled the animal may become ketotic - cells begin to use fat as fuel for energy production, ketone bodies then begin to accumulate in the blood. If your dog is ketotic it may have these additional symptoms: depression, weakness, vomiting, rapid breathing, and the breath may have an odor of acetone to it. If your dog has any of these symptoms see your veterinarian immediately.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2009 2:14:49 PM

I have no idea why my dad is acting like this. I''m very upset. I wish I was home. If I were home, I would''ve taken him to the vet first thing...

I don''t know what state you are in, but please contact a mobile vet...

http://www.housecallvets.org/html/housecall_veterinarian_-_ameri3.html

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
I am so sorry, my heart breaks for you!

*prayers*

lovegem

Shiny_Rock
Sorry to hear about your dog''s problem.

do you have a friend who maybe live nearby to take your dog to the vet?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2009 3:12:00 PM
Author: lovegem
Sorry to hear about your dog''s problem.

do you have a friend who maybe live nearby to take your dog to the vet?
A neighbor a friend, someone must be willing to help . I am so sorry, I hope he gets to the vet soon.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
prayers outgoing that you dog will be okay and hugs.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2009 2:14:49 PM

I completely understand and I''m sorry you''re so far away right now! I almost wish that your brother would have refrained from saying something until he went to the vet because telling you and dong nothing would naturally stress you out. I''m keeping him in my thoughts and hope he feels better very soon!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, big ditto.

Prayers outgoing. I really hope someone sees that the action they take right now could make or break the situation. I am so sorry for you and for your furbaby.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results