shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP! My dog might be dying?! =(

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2009 1:22:37 PM
Author: Maisie
7.gif
If your dog can''t even move there is definitely something wrong with him. I am so sad for you and your pet.
This is could be serious. With respect; get somebody to get the dog to a vet.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will say a prayer for your dog...hopefully he will get to the vet soon!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2009 4:06:13 PM
Author: Steel
Date: 3/2/2009 1:22:37 PM

Author: Maisie

7.gif
If your dog can''t even move there is definitely something wrong with him. I am so sad for you and your pet.

This is could be serious. With respect; get somebody to get the dog to a vet.[/QUOTE

ditto. There could be a number of things that it could be but if your dog can''t stand by himself, he really needs to be taken in asap. Is there any taxi service that could get the dog to a vet or a neighbour? Just give water little and often for now.

wishinpink

Brilliant_Rock
okay- a weird update!!

So this afternoon I hear from my mother that my dog is suddenly fine now. He''s running around, he ate his food....

I don''t know what to make of this! I keep telling them to take him to a vet, but as far as they can tell, there''s nothing wrong with him, so they don''t want to- (and there''s a bit of a financial situation involved too).

What on earth could have happened to my poor dog? He sounded so sick and now he''s suddenly fine?!

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
What a relief! I''m so glad your pup is OK.

This reminds me of an "incident" that happened with one of my cats. I had this real character of a Maine Coon cat back in the early 1970''s and I lived in an apartment in Brookline, MA [for you locals]. For some reason I had to be gone for a few days and I got my father to come and feed this cat. Well, one day my father got there and found the cat on the rug, apparently paralyzed in the hindquarters. This cat dragged himself across the rug with his front paws, his hind legs dragging behind him. My father, of course [worried about what would happen if this animal up and died on his watch], grabbed the cat and drove to Angell Memorial. I guess he spent most of the day there with this "paralyzed" cat and when the vet looked at him he couldn''t find anything wrong. The paralysis had cleared up on its own. The conclusion was that the cat was just a little nuts! I still have not heard the end of that one! LOL! The cat went on to live until he was almost 17. He never had that problem again. Go figure.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Umm....wow...I don't think I have words for what happened.

Maybe he threw up something that was making him sick?

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would still send him to the vet for bloodwork and a thorough evaluation. Can you call your vet and give them your credit card over the phone?

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I''m so glad he''s feeling better now. I wonder if he just had a terrible stomach ache or something like that.
33.gif
I still hope you can convince someone to get him to the vet though. Keep us updated please!

Feralpenchant

Shiny_Rock
It is always a good idea to have annual labwork done on dogs and cats at that age. Once dogs and cats get to the age of 9, they are considered "seniors" to most veterinarians, and once animals have reached these phases of life, they can go downhill very quickly. Well, so can young animals, but you get my drift.

I have seen similar variations of what happened to your dog. More often than not, it is renal (kidney) failure, and it''s pretty common in older animals. Assuming he was actually incapacitated, like your brother said, he probably just seems fine now. It may be nothing, but I strongly reccomend that you at least get a full panel of bloodwork done on him. Even if the tests show that he IS in fact in renal failure, sometimes just changing the diet to a renal diet (such as KD, or Kidney Diet, manufactured by Hill''s Science Diet) can do wonders, and help him to feel better without spending a lot of money.

Diabetes can also manifest in this way. But the bloodwork can show that as well.

Try to encourage your father to keep an eye on him! I hope it was just that he was very tired and all he needed was some rest. I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in just as a suggestion from a vet tech.
1.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/2/2009 9:02:21 PM
Author: rosebud10
okay- a weird update!!

So this afternoon I hear from my mother that my dog is suddenly fine now. He''s running around, he ate his food....

I don''t know what to make of this! I keep telling them to take him to a vet, but as far as they can tell, there''s nothing wrong with him, so they don''t want to- (and there''s a bit of a financial situation involved too).

What on earth could have happened to my poor dog? He sounded so sick and now he''s suddenly fine?!
I am so glad he is ok but definitely get him checked out.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Maybe he just missed you?

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
I think they should get him to the vet anyway. I am sorry if there are finances involved because when/if they take him to the vet they will probably do a full workup. But you can always start with a simple blood test which shouldn''t cost too much. Is there any way you can send them money?

I do have to agree with others that it does sound like Kidney Failure.

If that is the case, I would urge to also mention Addison''s Disease to the vet. I only say this because my dog has Addison''s disease and he got kidney failure as a result. He had the same symptoms as your dog. Drinking water, not eating, not wanting to move (although these symptoms can be a bunch of different things, and he also didn''t poop or pee for 24 hours). We took him to the emergency vet and they said he had Kidney Failure and did not have a good prognosis. Thankfully, they were in contact with our amazing vet who urged us to test for Addison''s and she was right. Addison''s is very manageable and doesn''t really affect the dog''s lifespan/quality of life at all. It''s probably not Addison''s disease, but wanted to put it out there because it is often confused with Kidney Failure.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Oh dear, I''m so glad he''s ok. I''d get him checked out.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2009 10:09:03 PM
Author: Loves Vintage
I would still send him to the vet for bloodwork and a thorough evaluation. Can you call your vet and give them your credit card over the phone?

ditto. Definitely get bloods done as they will show if his internal organs are good.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results