shape
carat
color
clarity

help! my bf is planning to buy an engagement ring from

stephaniess

Rough_Rock
cartier. The stone is 1.08ct, H color, VVS1, 3ex. Is H color too low? we haven't see the diamond yet, any comments welcome!

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
First off, congratulations, of course. Give your bf the benefit of the doubt in all of this.

But, if you'll stick your nose in, I'm more concerned about the VVS1, for which he'll pay a premium, that you will not experience. From that point of view, sure, if you wish to meddle, go for a G (though H is fine) and up the clarity to VS1, possibly saving some $ in the process.

But, regardless of the choice, you'll love what your bf gets, I'm sure....

Best of wishes,

Ira Z.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ditto. I'd trade some of that clarity for a G and eithe save some money or get a larger stone for the same price as a VVS.....as for color, go out and look at some GIA graded stones and see what your preference is....

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I beleive Cartier uses GIA and I found their diamonds to range greatly in quality. You have to take a look to see if H is too low for you - personally, I am very color sensitive and won't go below G but others love H. You have to figure out what works for you. I do know T&CO is strict on color ... my friend's H looks like an F to me.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I would also see about getting the numbers from the GIA report to plug into the HCA. or at least get several stones for him to compare with his eyes so he has some to choose from.

also please post pics of the ring when you get it :)

stephaniess

Rough_Rock
CharmyPoo|1316571115|3021826 said:
I beleive Cartier uses GIA and I found their diamonds to range greatly in quality. You have to take a look to see if H is too low for you - personally, I am very color sensitive and won't go below G but others love H. You have to figure out what works for you. I do know T&CO is strict on color ... my friend's H looks like an F to me.

I went to tiffany too and I like their diamonds, the sales gave me two diamonds to compare, I totally can't see the difference between D and I, even I color is very beautiful. I would like to lower the clarity and make the color better, but cartier doesn't have lots of selection and my bf only want to get the ring from cartier. The other one that we looked is G but it's not 3 ex, we want 3 excellent for sure. It is really hard to find an ideal stone.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
stephaniess|1316574262|3021872 said:

I went to tiffany too and I like their diamonds, the sales gave me two diamonds to compare, I totally can't see the difference between D and I, even I color is very beautiful. I would like to lower the clarity and make the color better, but cartier doesn't have lots of selection and my bf only want to get the ring from cartier. The other one that we looked is G but it's not 3 ex, we want 3 excellent for sure. It is really hard to find an ideal stone.

definitely see if they can bring in some stones for you to compare...they should be able to.

what setting are you getting?

stephaniess

Rough_Rock
slg47|1316574674|3021875 said:

definitely see if they can bring in some stones for you to compare...they should be able to.

what setting are you getting?

it is four prong setting, the simple one.

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
kind weird he only wants to get the ring from there.. I mean why? isn't it for you to wear so he should get what you want?

LittleRiver

Shiny_Rock
Ditto Charmy that Tiffany is stricter on color than GIA. Make sure you compare some GIA-graded stones (at Cartier or elsewhere) to see if a GIA H is white enough for your eyes.

Venice

Brilliant_Rock
Regular Guy|1316563951|3021752 said:
First off, congratulations, of course. Give your bf the benefit of the doubt in all of this.

But, if you'll stick your nose in, I'm more concerned about the VVS1, for which he'll pay a premium, that you will not experience. From that point of view, sure, if you wish to meddle, go for a G (though H is fine) and up the clarity to VS1, possibly saving some $ in the process.

But, regardless of the choice, you'll love what your bf gets, I'm sure....

Best of wishes,

Ira Z.

Ditto this. Also, Cartier makes beautiful rings.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi,

I would for sure shop around outside of just Cartier and look for a larger stone with a clarity in the VS1 or VS2. I don't think H is too low. The only issue is that store lighting can be deceiving so it's difficult to judge what an H will look like outside of the store. If you are looking for a branded stone of a higher-end store, then as others mentioned Tiffany & Co., is another to check out.

Best of luck and post us some photos!

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

!! Insist they bring in a diamond with the color and clarity you prefer!! Utter nonsense that a jewelry store would dictate you you what you will walk out with. Someone else on the board was complaining that the Cartier they visited in an area highly trafficked by tourists had sub-par customer service. I would think about calling another location and letting them know what you're looking for.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
yes, please take a step back and consider what you really want... and then let cartier try and call it in for you. there is no reason you should happily accept whatever they will give you simply because they are cartier, rather, because they are cartier they should happily work with you to get you what you want!

personally an H is too low for me, especially if i had the wiggle room with clarity as you do. i'd go up in color (or size) and down in clarity to VS1 or VS2. i can appreciate higher color with my eyes and that matters more to me than the mind-clean appreciation for clarity.

also, make sure you compare color in different lighting as it's not always so apparent in the jewelry stores. take them to a window, go outside if the jeweler will let you, etc.

what an exciting time, congratulations and enjoy!!

Frenchcut

Shiny_Rock
I had the same problem back in June when my fiance and I went to Cartier to choose my ering...not much choice available.

At the time we went there they had nothing available that would meet our criteria and we had to ask them to look in their stone inventory but they still didn't have much to chose from. They only had two available, a G VVS and a H VS. Since I'm slightly color sensitive I opted for the G stone.

Also, they wouldn't show me the stone before it was set and I only had the GIA report # to check its certificate. it bothered me a bit but my fiance did want a Cartier ring for me...

Unfortunately I think this is the way they work and I reckon it made me feel slightly uneasy until I opened the box to reveal a wonderful ring!

I just posted a few pictures today in "Show me the bling" in case you're interested https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/here-it-is-cartier-1895.165967/

stephaniess

Rough_Rock
Frenchcut|1316636126|3022376 said:
I had the same problem back in June when my fiance and I went to Cartier to choose my ering...not much choice available.

At the time we went there they had nothing available that would meet our criteria and we had to ask them to look in their stone inventory but they still didn't have much to chose from. They only had two available, a G VVS and a H VS. Since I'm slightly color sensitive I opted for the G stone.

Also, they wouldn't show me the stone before it was set and I only had the GIA report # to check its certificate. it bothered me a bit but my fiance did want a Cartier ring for me...

Unfortunately I think this is the way they work and I reckon it made me feel slightly uneasy until I opened the box to reveal a wonderful ring!

I just posted a few pictures today in "Show me the bling" in case you're interested https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/here-it-is-cartier-1895.165967/

You are exactly right! I have same experience as you. I feel the customer services at Cartier is not that nice compare with Tiffany. The selection is very limited, that sales checked their north american inventory for me at our first visit, we didn't make decision at that time and we came back to store two weeks later then most stone around our budget are gone. I would love to have G color but If the color goes up to G (no matter what's the clarity it is), the price will increase around 3k, that too much for us and it is definitely out of my bf's budget. The stone we ordered is not in Canada it has to be shipped from US,the wired thing i feel is if I want to see the stone I have to put deposit first. They only show you the GIA report in store and I can only choose the stone by comparing the report. I am not sure if they treat you same.
I also like tiffany, I am ok with both tiffany six prong and cartier four prong, the reason that I finally choose Cartier is because my best friend has her e-ring from Tiffany( the one I like), I don't want to have exactly same ring with her because that's weird. The other reason is since Tiffany has upgrade policy so the diamond I receive might not be new one, but at Cartier the sales told me they don't have upgrade policy so they gurantee the diamond is NEW. I just don't feel comfortable that I spend so much money and buy a diamond which was belonged to someone else before. I am not sure other people's feeling, that's just my personal preference.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I am not trying to sway you away from Cartier because I think they do have beautiful pieces. I just want you to really examine the ring and diamond you get from there. I swear ... my friend has a Cartier e-ring and the setting is not done well and is crooked. I was shocked when I saw it and thought it was a knock off but it is not. The quality was not what I expected. On the other hand, I have seen cartier e-rings that are just pure perfection. So .. make sure you compare and get the best one.

I know my e-ring isn't a name brand but the workmanship is exceptionmal and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love Cartier and I think it's lovely to get a diamond from there. Our Cartier is fabulous and will bend over backward to get you what you want so I would just tell them that you would appreciate it if they'd call around and see what they can find.

If you aren't happy with the branch you are working with call the one in San Francisco

I would personally prefer a G or higher if I were spending that much on a ring too.
There's nothing wrong with Cartier and I also prefer them A LOT over Tiffany personally.

DO make sure you check the ring before accepting it from them though. It is much easier to refuse to accept something straight out and asking them to fix a flaw that it is to return something.

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
I would go take a look at the diamond he picked out for you, and compare it to a few other diamonds with higher color (F or G). If you can tell the color difference, then it might be worth considering G or even F.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results