shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me with setting ideas

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
I am putting this here since I have no idea what this stone actually is. It was sold as a Topaz and it may well be but the price was so stupid low I suspect maybe not. It was too cheap to bother having it tested and my local jeweler really doesn't know CS. I am having a terrible time photographing it, in every light it is pink with a peachy glow from the sides but as you can see it looks...orangey with my cruddy phone camera.

Either way, I wanted a Pad-like colored stone after I bought one for my cousin, and this fits the bill color wise. It is 8mm and round cut. If there is a window I can't see it-I really need to up my game.

Who sets mystery stones? I don't want to spend a fortune and was looking at the silver options, but I think this stone needs a warmer gold tone, maybe rose. Ideally, something low profile to be worn on my middle finger. I LOVE the flower ring that @elle_71125 got from Mrs_B but without the diamond petals perhaps.

20191029_073903.jpg
I also just saw there is an IG auction to support gemcuttermatt and they have a pink Congo Tourmaline, at least I know that is a real untreated stone. hmm. (at this point take away my paypal log in)

20191029_073529.jpg 20191029_074017.jpg 20191029_073742.jpg
I swear it is pink!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel you on trying to get accurate color representation - sometimes it’s maddening!
I haven’t dealt with them myself, but plenty of people have used jewelryhoo2 on eBay. @2Neezers has a wonderful looking floral trillion from them ( the under 1250 CS thread) ! Maybe worth checking them out?

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
@elle_71125 thank you for looking, I like that last one quite a bit.

I also like a few Yvonne has but none of her catalog rings are 8mm and I am not sure she casts in the platinum sliver for the ones I like.

Heading over to ebay and moosecry on etsy.

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
Just a follow up. I am so glad I didn't go with even a somewhat decent setting. I purchased a gold plated setting off etsy and took it and the stone to my friendly jeweler.

it just so happened that when they spoke to the bench the colored stone guy was there (I think but am not certain that Andrew from gemfix is the CS guy, but like a dummy forgot to ask). Turns out the stone is a diffused Topaz and the color will disappear if heated. Likewise the setting won't survive an peg replacement. Luckily all said an done I didn't spend over $30.

So there goes that. I will start a new thread but I am tossing that stone in the "nice to look at" drawer and moving on.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results