carat
color
clarity

Help me to choose an oval diamond please

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @annastasiia

You really need to cut down the number of ovals if you want help. This is too many to evaluate at once.

What you need to look for...
- distinct, well-defined facets flashing on/off (particularly outside of the center area)
-minimal gray mushy areas

These videos (with the stone standing North/South) are the hardest to evaluate. The videos where the stones are at an angle
tell us more.

What are your budget/color requirements? Does it have to be purchased from with clarity?

annastasiia

Rough_Rock
Hi @annastasiia

You really need to cut down the number of ovals if you want help. This is too many to evaluate at once.

What you need to look for...
- distinct, well-defined facets flashing on/off (particularly outside of the center area)
-minimal gray mushy areas

These videos (with the stone standing North/South) are the hardest to evaluate. The videos where the stones are at an angle
tell us more.

What are your budget/color requirements? Does it have to be purchased from with clarity?

Thank you so much for your response. I'll try to change it

annastasiia

Rough_Rock
I tried to do my own research and I found these 2 diamonds I like the most. Any thoughts?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are typical 8 main offset faceting patterns. These 2 are not well cut (or lets say, they are typically cut). They will have a lot
mush (gray area that does not return light well) outside the middle area.

I suggest you look for a 6 main or an 8 main where the arrows go through the center of the stone (you can see this by looking at
the clarity diagram, pavilion view). There are 4 main, 6 mains, 8 mains, 8 main offset, and other branded ovals with 10 mains.
Make sure you look at enough to figure out what "look" you like the best. You can find good and bad of each type but in my
research 6 mains and 8 mains tend to have better light return (they are just harder to find :- ( ).

If you give your desired specs and budget I may be able to look around for you later today.

annastasiia

Rough_Rock
These are typical 8 main offset faceting patterns. These 2 are not well cut (or lets say, they are typically cut). They will have a lot
mush (gray area that does not return light well) outside the middle area.

I suggest you look for a 6 main or an 8 main where the arrows go through the center of the stone (you can see this by looking at
the clarity diagram, pavilion view). There are 4 main, 6 mains, 8 mains, 8 main offset, and other branded ovals with 10 mains.
Make sure you look at enough to figure out what "look" you like the best. You can find good and bad of each type but in my
research 6 mains and 8 mains tend to have better light return (they are just harder to find :- ( ).

If you give your desired specs and budget I may be able to look around for you later today.

Thank you so much for your response. I'm looking for a diamond specifically from With Clarity. On their website I searched for 2.5-3ct oval around $4000 (and then I would ask for a price adjustment). I was looking for GIA diamond, because somehow I thought that GIA is better than IGI.
It's really hard for me to find that grey much areas in the diamonds you are talking about.
Thank you for your help and have a nice day!
P.S. Sorry for my English, I'm still learning ☺️

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
GIA isn’t necessarily better in the lab grown world. IGI has a solid reputation now, as they were one of the first to recognize labs as diamonds. In fact, there have been instances here on PS when IGI has been stricter on color than GIA.

Opening up your search to include IGI will likely help a lot.

annastasiia

Rough_Rock
Sure. I'm looking for any diamond that looks beautiful. Thank you!

annastasiia

Rough_Rock
GIA isn’t necessarily better in the lab grown world. IGI has a solid reputation now, as they were one of the first to recognize labs as diamonds. In fact, there have been instances here on PS when IGI has been stricter on color than GIA.

Also I'm trying to minimize bow tie

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are the gray mushy areas...the brown area (under the table) will be mushy in most 8 main offset faceting patterns. The green
area will be well-defined distinct facets that return light nicely.
marked up.png

What you want to see as the stone turns is more "nice" facets light up. The videos where the stones stand North/South are very
hard to evaluate. The ones with the stones on their side are easier.

Look for nice facets in the green area marked below.
1 oval.png

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I literally can not deal with "with clarity"! The images are so small that you have to bring each one up to see if the stones are
any good. Is there is anywhere else you're willing to buy from? Maybe another PSer can help you with withclarity.

annastasiia

Rough_Rock
Here are the gray mushy areas...the brown area (under the table) will be mushy in most 8 main offset faceting patterns. The green
area will be well-defined distinct facets that return light nicely.
marked up.png

What you want to see as the stone turns is more "nice" facets light up. The videos where the stones stand North/South are very
hard to evaluate. The ones with the stones on their side are easier.

Look for nice facets in the green area marked below.
1 oval.png

Thank you! Now I know a little bit more about what to look for.

annastasiia

Rough_Rock
I literally can not deal with "with clarity"! The images are so small that you have to bring each one up to see if the stones are
any good. Is there is anywhere else you're willing to buy from? Maybe another PSer can help you with withclarity.

I don't like ther website either. I'll try to find another retailer

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Have you tried Loose Grown Diamond? They tend to have great prices. I thought you needed With Clarity for a particular reason.

annastasiia

Rough_Rock
I just liked the setting from WithClarity (I did home preview). Do you know anything about LooseGrownDiamond setting quality?

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
What sort of setting are you considering? Simple? Complicated? You can always get set somewhere else. I don’t have personal experience with the settings, so I can’t say. In general, it seems that the places with really great craftsmanship will cost a bit more.

annastasiia

Rough_Rock
I'm looking for just regular low set with pave. But I already had some problems with The Art of Jewels. They send me a crooked ring and also replaced a center stone without notifying me :(
I will probably go to my local jeweler for setting.
LooseGrownDiamond doesn't have preview pictures. It makes my searching process complicated. Is there any other retailers you can recommend?

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
They’re always Ritani, Brian Gavin, Brilliance, Blue Nile, James Allen, Adiamor off the top of my head. Good luck!

annastasiia

Rough_Rock
Any thoughts on this diamond?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Pretty sure this has blue nuance.

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
I’m not really a fan of ovals but I really like the powdery blue color on this one. Odd that the blue nuance is not noted on the report.

annastasiia

Rough_Rock
I’m not really a fan of ovals but I really like the powdery blue color on this one. Odd that the blue nuance is not noted on the report.

Is blue nuance bad for the diamond?

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
It just gives it a blue tint instead of the more typical yellow/brown. Some like it some don’t. If it’s next to diamonds without blue nuance the blue tint stands out more.

annastasiia

Rough_Rock
There are so many things I have to know. It feels like by the time I find my diamond I become a diamond expert

annastasiia

Rough_Rock
It just gives it a blue tint instead of the more typical yellow/brown. Some like it some don’t. If it’s next to diamonds without blue nuance the blue tint stands out more.

Thank you!

annastasiia

Rough_Rock

I tried to do my research on a diamond, and it seams like that "blue nuance" diamond is the best choice for the price. I like the brilliance and characteristics. Do you like this diamond? Is blue nuance going to be noticeable once its set?

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
In my experience blue nuance is more noticeable in fancy shapes than rounds. I would only buy an oval with blue nuance if I want to see the blue tint. Blue nuance is going to be more noticeable if it’s set in a setting with melee without blue nuance.

annastasiia

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for your advice!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results