shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me set my 1.1ct ruby!

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
I purchased an unheated 1.1 ct ruby from OTL (thank you!!). Here is her description from LT:

"1.1ct no heat 100% natural ruby. With the best fluorescence under sunlight I've seen. The color of this ruby is intense red with slightly purplish undertone. Super strong saturation and it fluos under natural sunlight. Color wise definitely the best ruby I've own.

It has 2 or 3 tiny tiny black dots that can be seen under 10x loupe or if you watch very closely that is not distracting at all. Very sparkly ruby not hazy or sleepy at all. Crystal glassy.

6.98*4.63*3.56mm. AIGS certified no heat. Real stone much more pretty than photo."

Her description is accurate and I really love this stone. I like my reds to tend purple/pink as opposed to orange so it's a perfect fit for me.

I almost had it set in a bezel pendant but then realized I really wanted to look at it all day.

I'm really loving the idea of setting it in a Jewels by Grace two stone bangle with a diamond. I have two sons and their birthstones are diamond and ruby so I find the symbolism very meaningful. I also love wearing bangles and think I would wear this a few times a week at least. I have a 1.5ct diamond bangle by Whiteflash that I love to wear that I think it would work well with (the WF bangle hasn't scratched my watch at all so I think it would be fine). I also love that it would be a substantial piece. I have finally learned that I'm definitely one for having a few really high quality items that I wear daily as opposed to lots of more fun stuff. This feels like it would be a piece I would treasure for a long time.

The cons for this are that I would have to purchase a pretty sizable diamond so I'd need to save for a bit. And I wonder if the design will look outdated in a few years. I really love the look, so I think I'd continue to enjoy it in the future. And of course I could always reset if needed. The cost of the setting looks to be around $600 so not too bad. The final con is that the ruby would be bezeled. I adore bezels (definitely my preference over prongs most of the time) but do you think it would negatively impact the color of the ruby?

I would want the piece to be in white gold since all my other pieces are platinum. If I go this route, should I bezel the ruby in yellow gold and have the rest of the piece WG? Maybe do a double bezel on the ruby with YG on the inside? Or just stick with all white gold?

And what size and shape diamond would look best on the other side? My engagement ring is a sapphire three stone with all round stones. I really love MRB so it's tempting to go this way. But would an oval of the same dimensions be prettier? Grace does these bangles with both matching stones and different shapes. I love them both but since I'd be using different kinds of stones should I keep the shapes constant?

I welcome input!!

ruby_16.jpg

_36282.jpg

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
A few more pictures:

_1695.jpeg

_1697.jpeg

_1698.jpeg

_1699.jpeg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd love to see it paired with some other shape. Maybe square? I know that doesn't help as an asscher would be more expensive go get the size you need lol

Would you consider a rose cut?

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP - do you like the assymmetry in shapes shown in the JbG bangle (the 2nd photo in this thread), the bangle with a (smaller) round and a (larger) marquise? Some of JbG's bangles have fairly matched stones, and others have the assymmetry... I like both myself, but for your (gorgeous!) ruby, I think I'd go with a smaller diamond with a different shape from your ruby - maybe like this high-color trap (http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/loose-diamonds/under-1-ct/51ct-trapezoid-shape-diamond-gia-e-vs1), or this very round OEC? (http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/loose-diamonds/under-1-ct/52ct-old-european-cut-diamond-gia-i-vs1)?

To me, the ruby calls out for high-karat yellow gold, and I'd probably do the whole bangle in yellow gold... but if you prefer white metal, you could easily go two-tone metal.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Niel|1454194692|3984336 said:
I'd love to see it paired with some other shape. Maybe square? I know that doesn't help as an asscher would be more expensive go get the size you need lol

In my ideal world, I would probably do an emerald cut diamond of the same size and do each in an octagonal bezel, but it just makes it way too expensive (~$3k). A rose cut is very intriguing. I've tried them on before but never owned one. I think I'd have to buy it and play with it for a few days to make sure I'd like the way it performs. But it would be much more cost friendly with the bonus size. Hmmmmm....

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rosebloom|1454204509|3984394 said:
Niel|1454194692|3984336 said:

In my ideal world, I would probably do an emerald cut diamond of the same size and do each in an octagonal bezel, but it just makes it way too expensive (~$3k). A rose cut is very intriguing. I've tried them on before but never owned one. I think I'd have to buy it and play with it for a few days to make sure I'd like the way it performs. But it would be much more cost friendly with the bonus size. Hmmmmm....

Yeah it's definitely not going to perform, but then again, does it need to? If you're wearing it with your bangle, you'll get sparkle from that. This could bring a different light play to the party

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
marymm|1454195678|3984342 said:
OP - do you like the assymmetry in shapes shown in the JbG bangle (the 2nd photo in this thread), the bangle with a (smaller) round and a (larger) marquise? Some of JbG's bangles have fairly matched stones, and others have the assymmetry... I like both myself, but for your (gorgeous!) ruby, I think I'd go with a smaller diamond with a different shape from your ruby - maybe like this high-color trap (http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/loose-diamonds/under-1-ct/51ct-trapezoid-shape-diamond-gia-e-vs1), or this very round OEC? (http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/loose-diamonds/under-1-ct/52ct-old-european-cut-diamond-gia-i-vs1)?

To me, the ruby calls out for high-karat yellow gold, and I'd probably do the whole bangle in yellow gold... but if you prefer white metal, you could easily go two-tone metal.

I do like the different shapes. And my son with the ruby birthstone is older so it's fitting to have the diamond side a little smaller. I love the idea of a trap - that could be really cool! And that OEC is gorgeous. Unfortunately turns out I'm kind of a nut about stuff coordinating (see note below on gold colors). My ering and bangle are modern round brilliants so I think I'd probably want to stay with modern cuts. But is that silly? I could be convinced out of that I think.

I completely agree that this really would ideally be in high carat yellow gold. It would be amazing. As a stand alone piece, that's what I'd do. But I wear my ering, studs and watch daily and they're all white metals. And of all my pieces (really not that many!), I only have non-white metal necklaces. Somehow around my neck it doesn't bother me to have a different metal tone. Probably because I don't see it! In my fantasy, I would have a suite of white metal jewelry and high carat yellow gold jewelry (heck as long as I'm dreaming, rose gold too!). But that's a lotto win away. So since I'll be wearing it with my watch I think I need to coordinate metal tones for my slight ocd. :) but what would you do? Would you be ok with a white metal watch and ring and a YG bangle? I guess I could get a plain high carat YG band and wear the band and bangle some days and the ering and watch others... (Here I go with my suites of jewelry dream again!)

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Such a beautiful,beautiful stone. IMHO, I would not go the bangle route with this ruby. If you want something unusual for a mother/son bauble, why not an interesting pendant design.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This design could work as a ring or pendant. Beautiful ruby!

_36283.jpg

antiqueovalsapph2.jpg

antiqueovalsapph3.jpg

antiqueovalsapph4.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whoa, sorry those are so huge!!!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lambskin|1454210199|3984426 said:
Such a beautiful,beautiful stone. IMHO, I would not go the bangle route with this ruby. If you want something unusual for a mother/son bauble, why not an interesting pendant design.

She wants something where she can see the stone.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I had a thought last night. I'm not sure it will work for you as I know you have two children, but what if you bought two rounds and bezeled them next to each other, like a figure 8, so the shape on one side is your cushion, the other is an 8

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Niel|1454247454|3984584 said:
So I had a thought last night. I'm not sure it will work for you as I know you have two children, but what if you bought two rounds and bezeled them next to each other, like a figure 8, so the shape on one side is your cushion, the other is an 8

Kind of love this idea!

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
DS - gorgeous ring setting.

Here are some of the other rings I loved (many of these are from the awesome Niel who has been brainstorming this with me offline for weeks!!). These are the band options. Very tempting from a budget and wearability sake.

_1711.jpeg

_1712.jpeg

_1713.jpeg

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Or these fancy dress up rings:

_1714.jpeg

_1715.jpeg

_1716.jpeg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't mind mixing and matching but you can do a 2 tone - white bangle but the bezel around the ruby can be yellow gold. If you set it E/W, then you might not need such a large diamond on the opposite side. It also does not necessary have to be the same shape to balance the look.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What an amazing stone. I like!!!!!

I love this suggestion from Niel. Wearable, elegant and chique.

_1752.jpeg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I don't think a bangle will look dated. It's a pretty classic design, even though it is on trend right now.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results