shape
carat
color
clarity

help me roughly appraise this paraiba pendant?

chappy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
paraiba_tourmaline.png

I only know the carat weight, which is 7.27. I received it as a wedding gift recently, I was immediately drawn to it by the beautiful tear-drop shape and strange glowing color, but had no idea it was worth anything. I was told it's a paraiba tourmaline, which I'd never heard of until now! I thought the knowledgeable gem-lovers here might be able to shed some light on this piece. :)

I know the price can vary a lot depending on if it's been treated, where the origin is, etc; but a couple rough guesses (ie, your estimate if it were treated, your estimate if it weren't, etc) would really help! also, do these things scratch easily? I'd love to wear it all the time but would be sooo sad if I scuffed it up!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on the lovely gift. The first thing I would do is either have a gemmologist take a look at it or send it to AGL for verification. You'll need this anyway if you plan to insure it because this is potentially a very high value item.
1. Is it a tourmaline or apatite or something else?
2. Has it been clarity enhanced in any form or fashion?
3. Is the saturation so great as to deserve the term paraiba or just a cuprian?

As a pendant, it is very safe to wear even though it can be prone to chipping in a ring. Without knowing exactly what it is and if it has been treated, I would treat it very gently and only wipe it down.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tourmalines are a 7.5 on the Mohs scale - similar to emerald. I would be more concerned about scratching in a ring as opposed to a pendant.

The price for these stones varies widely, depending on color, saturation and inclusions. Your best bet is to take it to a gem appraiser who can see it in person. It seems that the highest prices go to those paraibas of a "swimming pool" green-blue type of color. Yours looks a bit included to me, but photos can be very misleading at times.

Look around at paraibas online to get an idea of cost variations. Paraiba Int'l and Africa Gems are two places that sell the stone. There are others, I am sure, but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

Enjoy your lovely pendant!

chappy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@Chrono; thanks for your insight! I know for a fact that it is a certified paraiba tourmaline set in platinum, but I don't have the certificate with me so I don't know anything beyond that. I don't even have the gem with me, so I can't take more photos! :( I work and live in different countries, and left most of my jewelry back home. I'll be back next month though, and I will seek out some more info about it! and perhaps take it with me, even, if I dare.

it was a gift (along with several other pieces, but this was by far my favorite because of the shape and strange glow) from my FIL, and he's a jewelry enthusiast so I'm sure he could tell me exactly how much it cost and everything, but I don't want to be rude and ask!! I don't plan on insuring or reselling so an exact price is unnecessary. would just like to know a (very!) rough estimate so I can wear it with according care. right now I am guessing it costs anywhere between $500 and $50000?

@jadie; I looked on ebay but I guess most of those are quite marked up! I will have a look at those sites you mentioned, thank you! unfortunately this is the only photo I have of it, and it's not a very good photo either. I'll take some better ones when I fly back next month, though I wouldn't be surprised if it was included! actually I would feel much better about wearing it if it was included; at least then I'm not gonna be ruining a perfectly good stone if I accidentally scratch it. ;)) and that's great, if pendants are generally safe! I didn't know. I wear some gold pendants, and I see they're fairly dinged up, but I guess gold is quite soft!

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most of these stones have some inclusions; it doesn't mean they aren't beautiful, like your pendant. I would stay far, far away from ebay however. Many of the "paraibas" being marketed on there are not paraiba at all. Color me wary.

And yes, gold is way softer than stone and will scratch pretty easily. Platinum scratches, but the material is actually displaced rather than lost, I believe. I really think that beautiful jewelry should be worn. Don't let your fear of scratching it keep you from enjoying it!

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Personally, I would spend the money on a good appraiser if I were you, that way you will get an idea of it's actual value. (I don't mean one that marks it up, I mean actual value which a good appaiser can give you).

You may discover that it's worth insuring so you can wear it without worry. I have a large paraiba pear tourmaline in a pendant, but it's more green and probably more included than yours. I didn't pay an arm and a leg for the stone, so I have chosen not to insure it, but if your FIL is an enthusiast and knows his gemstones, yours could be very very valuable.

chappy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@jadie; thank you for that advice. especially the last bit! I will keep that in mind and steel myself for the inevitable scratches. :)

@colorluvr; I guess I just don't get the point of insuring, since it'll never be the same stone anyway. well, I guess it'd be nice to have the money back, but I've never dealt with insuring stuff and it seems like a lot of hassle! do you mind giving me a ballpark figure for a pendant such as yours? or even, what is the absolute cheapest possible price for a similar-looking paraiba tourmaline. looking at the sites, I'm even more confused, as some "small" ones of 1ct cost far more than a bigger one, though both are treated! hm. and I don't see any in the $100s range, even though google said...

I just can't really believe that it would be worth that much, since it was given as a set with a bunch of other jewelry. he didn't make much fanfare about this particular piece. the "star piece" was a jade & diamond necklace, so I assume this would be worth much less than that... but then again I have no idea how much that necklace costs! it's confusing, this sudden new world of colored gems pricier than diamonds, ha! I'm still getting my bearings.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty!!!

Considering the very high potential value I'd remove it from the setting and send it to AGL for their "prestige report".

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally whether its a paraiba or a nice cuprian, I would insure it. But I insure almost everything worth over $1k.

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
kenny|1356108569|3337374 said:
Very pretty!!!

Considering the very high potential value I'd remove it from the setting and send it to AGL for their "prestige report".

A tourmaline shouldn't need to be removed from the setting for AGL to do a report. Only sapphires and stones that require additional lab information need to be removed (I think). They charge an additional 15% for a set stone if I remember correctly.

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
The value of mine really won't help because like you have discovered, until you know what you have the price can vary a lot.

I know you are looking for a "number" but until a proper lab verifies what you have and a good appraiser gives you a market value, it would be impossible to even guess. A lousy copper bearing tourmaline isn't worth hardly anything (and yours looks to be a nice one). A nice Paraiba that size can be worth 10's of thousands.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As you probably know, true Paraiba tourmalines are from Brazil and very rarely exceed 1 carat in size for stones of the perfect, outstanding glowing color and decent clarity. There are copper bearing tourmalines from other areas of the world (Mozambique and Nigeria), but the highest quality, unparalleled stones are from Paraiba, Brazil. Due to rarity, the Brazilian stones are the ones which can command tens of thousands/carat. Copper bearing tourmalines from the other locations - which some refer to as "Paraiba" as well - cost much less (although the really clear, highly saturated and "glowey" stones are still expensive). So yours could be hugely valuable or not. How's that for helpful? :wacko:

If your FIL has been collecting for years and purchased the pendant years ago, it could possibly be a real Paraiba and have tremendous value. If it is a good quality cuprian from another location, it will probably still be worth insuring. If its an apatite or something else, not so much...I agree that you may want to give serious consideration to sending it to AGL, or perhaps GRS if more convenient.

Please let us know!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Certified by who? Labs do not certify anything but provide verification. Sounds like it is more of an appraisal paperwork? Many paraibas are now clarity enhanced and undisclosed, which is something I would check for as well. Pricing is based on colour, clarity, size, enhancement (heat is normal and fine), and in certain cases, origin if the colour is very fine. The first hurdle to jump over is whether this one has enough glow to be a paraiba or is "merely" a cuprian because once it is considered a paraiba, pricing goes up exponentially. From there, other factors come into play. This is why nobody can give you any estimate.

chappy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I really appreciate everyone's input! so it looks like the consensus is to send it in for a "real" appraisal. but if it really is worth that much, wouldn't it be scary mailing it out? can't I take it to any local jeweler for a quick estimate, in that case? I guess I will ask to see the certificate and start from there. I actually hope it's worth less than 20k so I can wear it without too much worry!! I will ask FIL if I should insure this.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most jewellers don't know enough to tell you anything. :blackeye:

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
chappy|1356130773|3337653 said:
I really appreciate everyone's input! so it looks like the consensus is to send it in for a "real" appraisal. but if it really is worth that much, wouldn't it be scary mailing it out? can't I take it to any local jeweler for a quick estimate, in that case? I guess I will ask to see the certificate and start from there. I actually hope it's worth less than 20k so I can wear it without too much worry!! I will ask FIL if I should insure this.

Paraiba tourmalines initially cost much less than they do now so unless he has kept up with the market he may not know the current value or whether it is worth insuring. I would not take it to a local jeweler for an estimate as most local jewelers know little if anything about colored stones, especially less common varieties, and have a conflict of interest. You need to find an independent appraiser who is good with colored gems. There is a list of appraisers under the "resources" tab on the PS menu bar. I'm not sure about how shipping to AGL works, it could be that the appraiser uses a service and could ship it for you or you could use registered mail.

chappy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I see... I have lost so many packages in the mail I'd be sooo scared of shipping it out! and it'd require me shipping it out BEFORE it was insured, to get it insured... which sounds a little risky and counter-intuitive. I think I'd really rather just wear it uninsured, and if I happen to come across an appraiser in person, then I'll get it appraised under my watch! there must be some local paraiba dealers...

FIL must have kept up with the market, as he deals in jewelry, though it's true he mainly deals with diamonds and jade so perhaps this escaped his notice. but he's really good with details so I doubt that. I think he'd have a good idea of how much it'd cost, it just feels rude to ask him about a gift.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Mine turned out to be an apatite... and strangely enough, mine was 7ct+ mark.
Came from a guy in Btazil if I recall.

fake_paraiba.jpg

chappy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
hopefully you weren't tricked!!

maybe it's just the photo, but yours doesn't really look like what I remember of mine. it's beautiful but it lacks an inner glow. however, again it could just be the photo, but also yes, a 7ct+ paraiba tourmaline sounds too good to be true. I don't know who certified it so it could definitely be a mistaken cert! I will really have to ask more about it when I get back. perhaps there's an easy way to check if it's a tourmaline or a apatite once I have it in my hands?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chappy - that looks very similar to one of my Paraiba Tourmalines (the one in my avatar actually). I suspect yours is a Mozambique tourmaline. Now then, the value depends on the intensity "neon-ness" of the stone. This is the most important factor in assessing Paraiba/Cuprian Tourmalines. IF it has the glow and intensity (even in low light) then the carat weight means that this is a good one and should you choose to sell it you MUST get a reputable dealer to sell it for you. Having an AGL lab report will ensure you'll get a high price.

Good material is scare, outstanding material is now very rare (most of it being snapped up in recent years by the Chinese market). Looking at your photo, I doubt yours is an Apatite - to me (and I collect Paraiba Tourmaline) it has a very different "look" and "feel" and all my senses are telling me it's the real deal. However, lately there have been treatments to Tourmaline that would potentially de-value the stone. The only way to be sure is to get it off to AGL. You're potentially sitting on a very valuable stone :D

Good luck and I can't wait to hear the outcome!

Barratt - you know you should have asked me :loopy: ;-) :love: I'd have told you in a heartbeat that that was an apatite. Sorry babe but it's an obvious one to me. Now you know where am I if you feel the need to touch a Paraiba. :oops:

chappy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
thank you! that's very helpful. I am just so nervous about shipping anything off, much less something of value, and then waiting for it to be shipped back! I've heard of expensive, sentimental rings lost in transit. I won't know anything more until the middle of next month, when I can go get it! I think I'll start wearing it as my daily necklace. :love: I would never sell it, as it was part of a set of gifts.

do you have any tips, as an avid collector, on caring for paraiba? someone advised that I should always take it off when I shower, do sports etc, and I'll try to keep that in mind.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DO NOT WEAR AS AN EVERYDAY PENDANT (please)!

Whilst a pendant is far safer than a ring, tourmalines can abrade and chip. They're certainly not as durable as a sapphire for example. If this was mine, it would only be worn for "best".

If it is a very good Paraiba, the price will make your eyes water so do you really want to run the risk of damaging or losing it?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, Chappy, that is indeed good news, because you have just heard it from our ultimate Paraiba authority...here's to rooting that everything LD said is true and that you're sitting on a great stone! :appl: :appl:

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Can we see more pics? Hnad shots, shots in sun..low light...

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Barrett|1356207083|3338169 said:

+1

chappy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
sure, I will update with more pics next month!
nooo that news makes me so sad, it can't be an everyday pendant? awwww but it was so pretty and just my taste! :(sad I thought a hardness of 7.5 was ok for daily usage. rats!

well ok, then how else would you take care of it? store it wrapped up? let it breathe? clean it with warm water and soap? any tips from you? I don't really have many ball parties to go to or anything, so if I only wore it for my best it'd hardly see the light of day. but I'm glad I discovered this BEFORE I started wearing it! I almost chose that one to start wearing right away (in which case I'd have worn it non-stop for two weeks, probably inflicting permanent damage). instead, I chose a ruby pendant to take out of the collection for everyday wear. the ruby was DH's favorite so I humored him and wore it first. whew!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can store it in cotton padding, then inside your case, preferably without the chain. This pendant can be worn everyday but not to bed, not doing sports, nothing too active. It's more like something you can wear to work, go shopping, around the house...very light duty.
Cleaning only with warm soapy water, rinse and pat dry. You can use a soft baby toothbrush for more persistent dirt.

chappy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Barrett said:
I just got it in my hands! here's some crappy indoor cellphone photos until I fly back to my nice camera. I'll have better photos by the weekend.

it's beautiful but very very included, so I really doubt it's worth enough to appraise! this makes me happy because now I can wear it without fear of damaging it. I mean, there's already enough "scratches" on the inside, what's a few on the outside? ;-)

does it still look like paraiba tourmaline? or some other sort of cuprian? what else could it be? either way I love it, so glowy!! n__n I'm very happy to own whatever it is!

para1.png

para2.png

parahand1.png

parahand2.png

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's very difficult to capture the neon and glow from a Paraiba Tourmaline. My gut feeling (after seeing these new photos) is that it's not a top Paraiba because it's just a little lacking in SCREAMING NEONICITY (if you know what I mean). However, it would probably be worthy of the title if the chemical composition matches up and at 7ct it's a great specimen. So it's either a really lovely cuprian or a borderline lower level Paraiba. Either way, it's a lovely stone to own and probably a nice value ;-)

I need to caveat what I've said by saying that this is based on photos and photos can be deceptive (unintentionally of course)!

I still suspect that this is a "Paraiba" from Mozambique but don't worry too much about the clarity because many of these gemstones were highly included. Of course, the less inclusions, the more money they cost!!! From your photos I'd say that it probably doesn't have as much "neonicity" as the one in my avatar BUT it resembles much more my 18ct one (that's also very included). Here's a photo for you to compare.

Lastly, please please please send this to AGL (nobody else). They will dismount it to assess the stone (which costs a bit more but safer they do it than anybody else). Also ask them the safest way to ship stones to them as they will have many years of expertise in this field!

Good luck - I really can't wait to hear the result.

paraiba_tourmaline_0.jpg

paraiba_tourmaline_1.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is still worth something today because it isn't easy to get such material. Stones that are highly included actually require more care in wearing it as it takes less force to make an existing internal inclusion "grow". To follow up with LD's post, your tourmaline does not need to be unset for AGL to run their tests.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results