shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me re-set my 2-carat ACA RB diamond pendant!

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
I have a beautiful 2-carat ACA RB diamond and I want to upgrade the setting. It is currently in a fixed martini basket with two 17" chains.

I just don't get the compliments this diamond deserves! As I wear the pendant, the chains get twisted. The diamond doesn't slide and often travels partially around my neck and flips over.

So here are a few pictures of the current necklace.

diamond_botanical_1.jpg

diamond_botanical6.jpg

neckshot5.jpg

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
I will have a few 7-point diamond melee left over from the reset of my pear (I know, another thread...) so I'm thinking about using them in this project.

I don't like bezels, miligrain (sp?), or anything too ornate. I prefer simple and sophisticated. I want something I can wear with jeans or a dress.

Here is a necklace I like, but with a heart-shaped stone. I could also do a DBTY chain with the diamond on a simple thin bale, but no rabbit ears!

diamond_pendant_heart.jpg

diamond_pendant_plain.jpg

I'm open to side stones, but probably not halos. I really need help with ideas! Thanks!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, Starry!!! :wavey:

Gosh, how could a 2 ct ACA not get attention??? Send it to me and I'll give it LOTS!!!! :bigsmile:

I think it will be hard to change the look a lot with halos and bezels ruled out. But I love a DBTY chain with small diamonds to hang a pendant on. I have an 18" one now that I use for pendants.

I will say that I have a much smaller diamond pendant in a milgrain bezel but I never wear it because it is too small. I am thinking of a new design for it, too!

I wouldn't overdo since you want to continue wearing it casually, but I think you definitely could put 7 pointers in bezels on a chain and wear the solitaire on that. You just use an even number of bezels so the pendant hangs in the center (which I am sure is obvious). You could also make the bale prettier if you wanted.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi DS! :wavey:

I know, it's hard to believe, but the diamond travels and twists and flips and just doesn't look special.

Maybe the whole bale, prongs and basket should be diamond-encrusted on a DBTY chain? Too much?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
starryeyed|1400643977|3677221 said:
Hi DS! :wavey:

I know, it's hard to believe, but the diamond travels and twists and flips and just doesn't look special.

Maybe the whole bale, prongs and basket should be diamond-encrusted on a DBTY chain? Too much?

I wouldn't put diamonds on the basket and prongs, but maybe something on the bale. I don't think you can go too fancy on the bale with a solitaire and putting diamonds everywhere will make it not a daily piece.

Ignore the bottom of this one....

_18433.jpg

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What about a super thin bezel, with or without milgrain? It'll add protection and diameter, but not be as noticeable as a bale. Also, if the bezel is "threaded" in the right places, it will never flip over.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
She said she didn't like bezels above. I do like them on smaller stones to add diameter, though.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
starryeyed|1400642200|3677204 said:
I have a beautiful 2-carat ACA RB diamond and I want to upgrade the setting. It is currently in a fixed martini basket with two 17" chains.

I just don't get the compliments this diamond deserves! As I wear the pendant, the chains get twisted. The diamond doesn't slide and often travels partially around my neck and flips over.

Wearing more than one chain is going to make them twist, so you'd need to stick with one.
Diamond's gonna travel if it's not set such that the pendant can move on the chain.
Anything set top-heavy will have a greater chance of flipping.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
that is true she did, but a really thin one would make the diamond look great :) but it is up to her.. I think her chain is too long.. I had my pendant made with a longer chain and it flips.. I plan on shortening it,or buying another chain.. it's a gorgeous stone!

diamondseeker2006|1400685375|3677479 said:
She said she didn't like bezels above. I do like them on smaller stones to add diameter, though.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just popping in to say hello to Starry, how lovely to see you! :wavey:

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
msop04|1400688009|3677506 said:
starryeyed|1400642200|3677204 said:

Wearing more than one chain is going to make them twist, so you'd need to stick with one.
Diamond's gonna travel if it's not set such that the pendant can move on the chain.
Anything set top-heavy will have a greater chance of flipping.
Hi msop04! :wavey:

Yes, I'm with you on all of those points! When I had the diamond set originally, I did the basic WF martini setting for a solitaire. I didn't really know what I wanted, so I went simple. My toddler daughter started to hang from it, so that made me nervous and I had WF add a second chain, just to make sure I didn't lose it.

It was a good enough solution at the time, but now I'm ready for a re-do. My daughter doesn't hang off my necklaces anymore!

I'm in total agreement that a diamond this size must be able to slide! I do like some of the BGD (non-bezel) sliding designs and have thought about perhaps doing my own design, but I want to use the melee too.

This is not easy!

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Tekate|1400693780|3677556 said:
that is true she did, but a really thin one would make the diamond look great :) but it is up to her.. I think her chain is too long.. I had my pendant made with a longer chain and it flips.. I plan on shortening it,or buying another chain.. it's a gorgeous stone!

diamondseeker2006|1400685375|3677479 said:
Thank you Tekate! I know it's hard to understand that I don't like bezels. If I could change my taste, this would probably be much easier. Haha!

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Lorelei|1400694059|3677559 said:
Hi Lorelei! :wavey: Wonderful to see a familiar face (well, you know what I mean...) I've been so busy with motherhood, my daughter's school, and so many other things! I know I can always count on my friends here to help with diamonds! Thanks for popping in. :D

Tell me what you think?

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1400682319|3677444 said:
Joe Escobar has a solitaire pendant with simple diamond bale on the first page of pendants. You might find other ideas there, too.

http://www.escobardiamonds.com/showcase.aspx?showcaseid=4
Thanks DS! I think you are right about the "encrusted" idea - probably too much for daily wear. I checked out some of Joe Escobar's pendants, and then my computer screen started to scroll furiously through the pages. Will try again with another browser.....

I appreciate the link!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found this ring with interchangeable gemstone centre when I was researching for another project, and thought I could use this design for the 17mm approx. round Danburite that Jeff White is going to cut for me which is going to be set as a pendant.

stnrg00028.jpg

I particularly like the polished metal between the diamond halo and centre stone, as it adds bulk and shininess without incurring too much cost.

Instead of interchangeable centre stones, I I would have different gemstone halos made instead, such as ruby, pink sapphire, emerald, blue zircon/topaz etc., to go with the Danburite.

I would not have a fixed chain, and would probably wear the pendant on a chain at least 2mm wide, as shiny as possible, otherwise it will disappear on my chunky neck!

DK :))

FancyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Let me first list the requirements.

1. Simple setting. No bezel, no milgraine, and etc..
2. Diamnd pendant will not ride up/down neck.
3. Damond pendant will not flip.
4. No twisted chains.
5. Overall necklace design has to be simple enough for everyday wear.
6. Make use of spare 7-pt melees.
7. Keep cost minimal.

I suggest to start with your current necklace design and modify slightly. I think (based on my own experience) by addng weights to your diamond pendant part will help minimize problem of diamond riding up/down your neck. See attached picture for my suggested design. If adding three melees is not enough, you can increase the number of melees to make a diamond shape (four melees) or flower shape (5-melees). Just make sure that the melee configuration is smaller than your 2-ct diamond, for sake of proportion.

I do not mind twisted chains (not much twisting anyway), so I would keep the original double chain (especially to save cost). If the twisted chains bother you, you can change to a thicker single chain.

To show how the design looks on you, I have modified your photo.

diamond_pendant_heart.jpg

neckshot5.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oops, I did not read the bit about no bezel, sorry!

DK :oops:

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
starryeyed|1400695182|3677574 said:
Lorelei|1400694059|3677559 said:
Hi Lorelei! :wavey: Wonderful to see a familiar face (well, you know what I mean...) I've been so busy with motherhood, my daughter's school, and so many other things! I know I can always count on my friends here to help with diamonds! Thanks for popping in. :D

Tell me what you think?

I know exactly what you mean Starry, it's wonderful to see you and to hear things are going well!

Funny thing was, I was doing some jobs outside and I was thinking about your pendant while I was working. I had in mind a design with some coloured stones or pink diamonds, then FancyDiamond posted a design very similar to the one I had in mind. My variation of that idea was to have the diamond set at a tad more of a dangly drop but otherwise, mine and FD's thoughts are very similar.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1400643159|3677211 said:
Hi, Starry!!! :wavey:

Gosh, how could a 2 ct ACA not get attention??? Send it to me and I'll give it LOTS!!!! :bigsmile:

lol.gif

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the sheer weight of a 2 ct. stone would lend itself to flipping. My guess is that you will have to 'weigh' it down with either a setting that is weighted or a bale to anchor it. Call WF or BGD to see what they would recommend in the way of a setting. I'm sure they both have experience with pendants of this size.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My view is that it is the back side of the pendant that will make a stone sit right or flip when there is no bale. There needs to be a wide flat base on the back of the pendant. For example, wider halo pendants will have a large flat area in back and the pendant will sit flat. Even solitaires can have a circle in back. Here is a pendant back that shows what I mean (not for Starry, though).

A bale is going to almost eliminate that problem.

_18450.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FancyDiamond|1400700044|3677613 said:

4. No twisted chains.
7. Keep cost minimal.

I suggest to start with your current necklace design and modify slightly. I think (based on my own experience) by addng weights to your diamond pendant part will help minimize problem of diamond riding up/down your neck. See attached picture for my suggested design. If adding three melees is not enough, you can increase the number of melees to make a diamond shape (four melees) or flower shape (5-melees). Just make sure that the melee configuration is smaller than your 2-ct diamond, for sake of proportion.

I do not mind twisted chains (not much twisting anyway), so I would keep the original double chain (especially to save cost). If the twisted chains bother you, you can change to a thicker single chain.

This is great, Fancy Diamond!!! There also could be a 4th melee stone to make it a diamond shape bale if she wanted. But I really like it how you made it!

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
dk168|1400696752|3677585 said:
I found this ring with interchangeable gemstone centre when I was researching for another project, and thought I could use this design for the 17mm approx. round Danburite that Jeff White is going to cut for me which is going to be set as a pendant.
DK :))
Hi DK! :wavey: You are so fashion-forward with the whole interchangeable gemstone theme! I saw some Pomellato rings with interchangeable stone and I'm almost obsessed!

I know what you mean about the chunky metal. I always liked omega chains for that reason. I guess they are kinda passe (sp?) at this point, but they really add bling.

I'm inclined to add a bale or another diamond or two to add weight. :naughty:

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
FancyDiamond|1400700044|3677613 said:

4. No twisted chains.
7. Keep cost minimal.

Wow, fantastic FD! Thank you! I'm flattered that you would put in so much effort for me! :D

I'm inclined to switch the chain and your drawing is very helpful for scale.

I'm not totally sure, but it looks like I will have 2 or 3 7-pointers and one 10-pointer from my pear re-do.

What do you think about a bigger chain, getting a few more melee, maybe 8-16 total on the chain, like the DBTY that DS referred to, and then hanging the RB from another diamond entirely? It could be a an upside-down pear (like the heart necklace I posted) or a tapered brilliant-cut baguette or some other small fancy shape? maybe the 10-pointer can be incorporated in the new clasp or something....

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
MissGotRocks|1400714253|3677783 said:
I think the sheer weight of a 2 ct. stone would lend itself to flipping. My guess is that you will have to 'weigh' it down with either a setting that is weighted or a bale to anchor it. Call WF or BGD to see what they would recommend in the way of a setting. I'm sure they both have experience with pendants of this size.
For sure I'm not the only one with this problem! Good suggestion.

It's funny, when the diamonds are a little smaller and more integral to the necklace, they don't look bad when the diamond travels to the side. I am so ready to fix this problem!

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1400717029|3677812 said:
My view is that it is the back side of the pendant that will make a stone sit right or flip when there is no bale. There needs to be a wide flat base on the back of the pendant. For example, wider halo pendants will have a large flat area in back and the pendant will sit flat. Even solitaires can have a circle in back. Here is a pendant back that shows what I mean (not for Starry, though).

A bale is going to almost eliminate that problem.
I LOVE that pendant back! :love: When backs are that beautiful, it's ok if the piece flips over!

I agree though that a wide stable flat basket or back keeps the stone more stable. That's something to think about if I go with another stone rather than a bale. Not sure though.....

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A stone above your diamond (or three like FD drew) will effectively be a bale assuming the 2 ct diamond setting hangs from it. I think diamonds are much more likely to flip when the chain is attached to the diamond setting and not a bale.

That is a beautiful pendant back. I believe it is Steven Kirsch.

FancyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
starryeyed|1400718737|3677833 said:
5. Overall necklace design has to be simple enough for daily wear.

I'm inclined to switch the chain and your drawing is very helpful for scale.

I'm not totally sure, but it looks like I will have 2 or 3 7-pointers and one 10-pointer from my pear re-do.

What do you think about a bigger chain, getting a few more melee, maybe 8-16 total on the chain, like the DBTY that DS referred to, and then hanging the RB from another diamond entirely? It could be a an upside-down pear (like the heart necklace I posted) or a tapered brilliant-cut baguette or some other small fancy shape? maybe the 10-pointer can be incorporated in the new clasp or something....

Two problems with adding more diamond melees in the chain and too many diamonds in the pendant part:
1. The necklace will become too fancy for everyday wear.
2. The 2-ct diamond will get distracted. We want the focus on the big diamond.

However, if you do not mind having a fancy necklace, please go ALL THE WAY. I love your idea about getting a pear diamond positioned upside down above the 2-ct round diamond.

I also want to add that I prefer not to have a bale (actual one). I just do not like the look of it. Like DS said, the 3-melee configuration above the dangling 2-ct will effectively serve as the bale, in terms of its function for preventing flipping and sliding.

lastly, please put the 10-pt on the bottom of the 3-melee configuration (I.e., with two 7-pt melees on top).

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
What do you think about a colored stone or a colored diamond atop the RB? Too formal?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results