shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me pick WSS from takahashi

GeliL

Shiny_Rock
More pics of the bottom pair...very tiny flaw on one but otherwise it looks pretty good I think, seems like the one on the right is slighly bigger, but that doesn't really bother me Screenshot_20210817_231129_com.instagram.android.jpg Screenshot_20210817_231125_com.instagram.android.jpg Screenshot_20210817_231118_com.instagram.android.jpg Screenshot_20210817_231113_com.instagram.android.jpg Screenshot_20210817_231103_com.instagram.android.jpg

Last edited:

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Between the two round pairs, the top pair has more of a teal overtone while the bottom pair is more pink. The top pair is slightly better matched to my eyes.

One of the bottom pair has lower lustre than the other and there is a size discrepancy, but it is of course going to depend on how much that bothers you!

Glad Yy found some options for you :)

GeliL

Shiny_Rock
Between the two round pairs, the top pair has more of a teal overtone while the bottom pair is more pink. The top pair is slightly better matched to my eyes.

One of the bottom pair has lower lustre than the other and there is a size discrepancy, but it is of course going to depend on how much that bothers you!

Glad Yy found some options for you :)

My thoughts as well. :) I am leaning towards more pink, how would you say the lustre of the bottom pair is? I think it is quite good. Size doesn't bother me that much, according to the exact measurements, one is 12.2 and one is 12.5, which is ok with me. Also not too bothered by lustre difference, if the difference is not big!

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Are the 13mm that they just posted also options sourced for you? Just curious as I saw their post on IG! If they are, I would go for pair 3!

To my eyes, the pearl on the right of the pinker pair is of lower lustre which I can pick consistently though if this pair works with the budget you have in mind for the size range you want and those differences don’t bother you, then it’s not a major issue! IMO it’s really more whether you think there’s a significant difference and how much they will be an issue for you :)

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I would ditto this exactly!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are the 13mm that they just posted also options sourced for you? Just curious as I saw their post on IG! If they are, I would go for pair 3!

To my eyes, the pearl on the right of the pinker pair is of lower lustre which I can pick consistently though if this pair works with the budget you have in mind for the size range you want and those differences don’t bother you, then it’s not a major issue! IMO it’s really more whether you think there’s a significant difference and how much they will be an issue for you :)
And ditto this too.

It’s really hard to say what a big difference might be, or how visible it might be, because everyone has different preferences and priorities, yknow? I personally would see everything Crystal describes as well, but we’re not you!

One of the downsides of buying from Takahashi is that there no returns. So once you buy you’re stuck with them! And larger pearls are more difficult to resell. One thing I’ve done in the past is buy a few pairs of X from a domestic vendor specifically just to look at them - in these cases I’ll figure out some shipping comp agreement with the vendor since I know up front I’m not buying. Nice way to learn what I do and don’t like to see without having to be permanently out of pocket. I’m not sure if you’re based in the US - is that an option for you?

GeliL

Shiny_Rock

Not an issue for me as long as you all think the lustre is good for both of them, a little difference is fine. I can tell the difference between the 2 as well, but once they are on the ear I don't think they'd be that noticeable. :D

Yes, those are the ones matched for me! Pair 3 has a pretty big blemish which bothers me though.

GeliL

Shiny_Rock
And ditto this too.

It’s really hard to say what a big difference might be, or how visible it might be, because everyone has different preferences and priorities, yknow? I personally would see everything Crystal describes as well, but we’re not you!

One of the downsides of buying from Takahashi is that there no returns. So once you buy you’re stuck with them! And larger pearls are more difficult to resell. One thing I’ve done in the past is buy a few pairs of X from a domestic vendor specifically just to look at them - in these cases I’ll figure out some shipping comp agreement with the vendor since I know up front I’m not buying. Nice way to learn what I do and don’t like to see without having to be permanently out of pocket. I’m not sure if you’re based in the US - is that an option for you?

I am based in the US, but I get overly anxious with shipping things back even domestically, and given how much money is involved with WSS, it makes me very nervous! I understand Takahashi has no returns, which is why I am requesting tons of photos and videos from them to make sure that I at least am buying what I am expecting, yknow?

Takahashi is also very nice about matching pearls for me. After having communicated to them about my intention to do dangles, they are trying to match more options for me. They really are very nice and try to help me all the way through.

They have also mentioned that they can provide a $35 shipping with no insurance, on more affordable items that are a couple hundred dollars, so if you have confidence in your carrier that's a choice for cheaper shipping. I most likely won't do that, but just mentioning it for the sake of spreading information :)

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I also really like the baroques too and think that they’d make lovely dangles. I’m also guessing they are less expensive. I have a pair of very imperfect baroque dangles and I really enjoy wearing them.

I personally like the top pair in the second set, to me just a pleasing shape and I like the color.

Of the rounds I like the first pair personally for all of the reasons cited

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am based in the US, but I get overly anxious with shipping things back even domestically, and given how much money is involved with WSS, it makes me very nervous! I understand Takahashi has no returns, which is why I am requesting tons of photos and videos from them to make sure that I at least am buying what I am expecting, yknow?

Takahashi is also very nice about matching pearls for me. After having communicated to them about my intention to do dangles, they are trying to match more options for me. They really are very nice and try to help me all the way through.

They have also mentioned that they can provide a $35 shipping with no insurance, on more affordable items that are a couple hundred dollars, so if you have confidence in your carrier that's a choice for cheaper shipping. I most likely won't do that, but just mentioning it for the sake of spreading information :)

Good to know re. $35 shipping! Didn’t occur to me to ask, but that really takes the sting off smaller purchases.

So I mostly play in the pearls and diamonds spaces. With diamonds - speaking in generalities - a small diamond can sparkle just as much as a large diamond. An SI2 can sparkle just as much as an IF. A J can be just as beautiful as a D. There are all these quality factors that discuss minute incremental differences that don’t impact what the eyes actually appreciate until the disparity become large.

With pearls, though, lower luster is eye-visible, less overtone is eye-visible, non-matching bodies and overtones are eye-visible - changes in quality factors become eye-visible very quickly compared to grading of diamonds. Not actually having any consistent grading scheme is culprit number one. Rant for another day.
The colour difference in the bottom pair of rounds, I personally would kind of mentally equate the “amount of real world difference one could see” to pairing a D diamond with a J diamond - if you’ve got good colour sensitivity (which I suspect most of us do) you’ll see the difference in-person, but it won’t jump out at you, it won’t jump out at the person admiring your earrings from three feet away. Of course in the case of these pearls the word “colour” encompasses both body and overtone, which different lighting environments treat differently.

The luster difference - I don’t have any analogies for, diamond clarity doesn’t work outside of maybe clouds! But it’s the same as colour in that the change isn’t micro, difference will be eye-visible to someone whose eyes are somewhat discerning.

I do like some of those baroque pairs a lot!! But - see how most of the left pearls are more blue than the right? That could be real, or it could be the lighting and angle - maybe have them turn the card upside down and take a couple of photos to switch right and left columns.

Last edited:

GeliL

Shiny_Rock
All this to say that I’ve learnt that for me, buying a compromise-quality pearl (or pair or strand) doesn’t give me an idea of whether I actually like that type of pearl! I need to see examples of the best, or nearly best, that a type of pearl can be to decide whether it’s something that I appreciate.

I most likely is the same in a way that I don't think buying while compromising on quality is a good reference. I think the quality at least has to be "very good" in order for me to judge, but I think the term "quality" means differently for everyone. For me, on a pair of pearls, I judge each of them individually so perfectly matched is never much of a concern, as long as it's not so blatantly obvious that they are different (heck I am probably also very lenient on color of Tahitians so that even different colours would work for me). It's mostly about the pearl, individually, by themselves. As long as it doesn't distract the beauty(mostly lustre) of the pearl, I am happy!

I am more a color gemstone person, and as you can see I am a big fan of emeralds, and those are almost never exactly matched! :D You always need to compromise if you don't want to stretch your wallet real thin, so generally everyone picks one quality they care about the most. For some, it's the colour. For me, it's the clarity. Even if the color isn't ideal, as long as the clarity is good, it looks amazing to me. I have the same stance towards pearls that lustre is the most important! Of course blemishes, nicks and lines would jump out at me, but if the price is right I can still fully appreciate their beauty.

Edit because I was typing the original text on my phone

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
YOU are the ideal candidate for pearl pairs!! someone who can enjoy each individually and isn’t super fussed about them being exactly the same.

Since lustre is most important (it is to me too) I’m leaning toward some of those yummy baroques…

GeliL

Shiny_Rock
I also really like the baroques too and think that they’d make lovely dangles. I’m also guessing they are less expensive. I have a pair of very imperfect baroque dangles and I really enjoy wearing them.

I personally like the top pair in the second set, to me just a pleasing shape and I like the color.

Of the rounds I like the first pair personally for all of the reasons cited

Ooh, may I request to see a picture of our dangles? Is it already posted somewhere?

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
hmm if lustre is most important, then to be fair, none of the pairs posted would be what I would consider as ‘top lustre’. Having said that, within a certain budget and while aiming for a certain size, what takahashi has listed is probably what is achievable.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock

GeliL

Shiny_Rock
hmm if lustre is most important, then to be fair, none of the pairs posted would be what I would consider as ‘top lustre’. Having said that, within a certain budget and while aiming for a certain size, what takahashi has listed is probably what is achievable.

Well top top lustre is definitely what I am expecting to find with my budget. But if it has what you consider very good lustre, it's a win. I imagine i really need to prepare myself (and my wallet) if I wanted top tier lustre round and flawless WSS.

GeliL

Shiny_Rock

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m not sure if these photos will load or how helpful they will be, but the big rounds are my WSS from takahashi. The big white baroques are Edisons (as are the oddly coloured pinky brown ones in the top row) and the bottom whites are akoya (tennyo and gem grade).

These WSS were the best that Takahashi could find me at that time within my desired size range (my requirements were gem grade lustre). I did not give them a budget at the time of the search as I wanted to see the best they could find.

I am well pleased with mine for the price that I paid as I believe they are capable of sourcing some beautiful pearls. Having said that, I HAVE directly compared my takahashi to some high end pearl vendors. While the takahashi hold their own in most situations, they are not the best of the best. I love the pearls they sourced for me at the price that I paid because I honestly believe I could not find better at that price. They’re really nice pearls. But being objective, I know they are not THE best (I so wish they were!!)

Hopefully these photos give you an idea of what can be sourced, what Edisons would look like in comparison (my Edisons were cheap and I’m sure you can get nicer ones) and how they compare to akoya which I understand is what you already have, as their lustre is quite different! Even within the limitations of my crappy phone camera!

8B94F91E-82A0-4F09-B677-766BACB7E96C.jpeg 5B3B438F-8416-4E43-83F4-28841A95DDF9.jpeg

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I’m not sure if these photos will load or how helpful they will be, but the big rounds are my WSS from takahashi. The big white baroques are Edisons (as are the oddly coloured pinky brown ones in the top row) and the bottom whites are akoya (tennyo and gem grade).

These WSS were the best that Takahashi could find me at that time within my desired size range (my requirements were gem grade lustre). I did not give them a budget at the time of the search as I wanted to see the best they could find.

I am well pleased with mine for the price that I paid as I believe they are capable of sourcing some beautiful pearls. Having said that, I HAVE directly compared my takahashi to some high end pearl vendors. While the takahashi hold their own in most situations, they are not the best of the best. I love the pearls they sourced for me at the price that I paid because I honestly believe I could not find better at that price. They’re really nice pearls. But being objective, I know they are not THE best (I so wish they were!!)

Hopefully these photos give you an idea of what can be sourced, what Edisons would look like in comparison (my Edisons were cheap and I’m sure you can get nicer ones) and how they compare to akoya which I understand is what you already have, as their lustre is quite different! Even within the limitations of my crappy phone camera!

8B94F91E-82A0-4F09-B677-766BACB7E96C.jpeg 5B3B438F-8416-4E43-83F4-28841A95DDF9.jpeg

Not to utterly derail—but I love that jewelry case! If you care to share details..I’m on the hunt for one!

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Not to utterly derail—but I love that jewelry case! If you care to share details..I’m on the hunt for one!
I’m actually located in Australia and the case was super cheap from Kmart :lol:
It scratched my itch for a place to put everything together

I believe @yssie and @ForteKitty have a good recommendation for one from Amazon which is much higher quality though!

GeliL

Shiny_Rock

You have a beautiful collection, they all look so yummy!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m actually located in Australia and the case was super cheap from Kmart :lol:
It scratched my itch for a place to put everything together

I believe @yssie and @ForteKitty have a good recommendation for one from Amazon which is much higher quality though!

I actually got the box that @ForteKitty recommended!!

@Cerulean it's fantastic. Seems very well made. The colour is a beige-ish grey, really flattering to ALL pearl types and colours. The divider in the middle means you can't lay strands out unless they're vertical (sadly they don't have a ring tray without that central divider) but... No biggie. The glass lid is cheap and really nice too.

Here are some of her pics of her AMAZING pearls in that box!
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-pearls.108856/page-59#post-4986692

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the pearls they sourced for me at the price that I paid because I honestly believe I could not find better at that price.
This is where I am on Takahashi too. Their stuff might not be the very best, objectively, but you're never going to find better quality for the price you pay anywhere else!!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well top top lustre is definitely what I am expecting to find with my budget. But if it has what you consider very good lustre, it's a win. I imagine i really need to prepare myself (and my wallet) if I wanted top tier lustre round and flawless WSS.

I don't think the two pairs of rounds are even of "very good" luster. I'll be honest. I'm confident they're the best anyone outside trade can get for the price, but objectively I think they're still rather "meh" pearls. But with the WSS market being what it is right now - that's a reflection of availability, not of your budget. Two years ago your budget would have been sufficient for gem luster 10mm rounds. Really close to being enough for 11mm rounds. I know because I bought exactly that! In 2021 we end-consumers won't get anywhere close I'm afraid.

I do think several of those baroques look very promising. Definitely worth getting more photos!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I actually got the box that @ForteKitty recommended!!

@Cerulean it's fantastic. Seems very well made. The colour is a beige-ish grey, really flattering to ALL pearl types and colours. The divider in the middle means you can't lay strands out unless they're vertical (sadly they don't have a ring tray without that central divider) but... No biggie. The glass lid is cheap and really nice too.

Here are some of her pics of her AMAZING pearls in that box!
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-pearls.108856/page-59#post-4986692

Thank you so much! (You too @Crystal_Dreams)
Luckily my pearl collection is teeny by comparison but I’d love for them to have a safe and lovely home!

GeliL

Shiny_Rock
I don't think the two pairs of rounds are even of "very good" luster. I'll be honest. I'm confident they're the best anyone outside trade can get for the price, but objectively I think they're still rather "meh" pearls. But with the WSS market being what it is right now - that's a reflection of availability, not of your budget. Two years ago your budget would have been sufficient for gem luster 10mm rounds. Really close to being enough for 11mm rounds. I know because I bought exactly that! In 2021 we end-consumers won't get anywhere close I'm afraid.

I do think several of those baroques look very promising. Definitely worth getting more photos!

I wouldn't have posted if I didn't want your honest opinion! :D

The baroques are 10mm on the second sets, and 11mm for the first. They are very very affordable, wayyy below the budget so I'd be happy to snap them up and save the rest for better WSS in the future. Which ones catch your eye?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For a style that involves some sort of setting detail on top of dangly pearls (a little trio of gemstones or pearls, an elaborate cup, briolette dangles, etc.) I like the last pair of 11mm baroques best! I think those flat tops lend themselves to adding detail right above. I think they’re also the most lustrous pearls in this set!

0BE95D86-0E41-4AB5-BFD3-8696FC08195D.jpeg

In the smaller size I like the two red circled pearls as a pair best, if they’re similar in dimensions. That blue sheen is really magical in WSS, I think. These are the most lustrous and contrasty and iridescent pearls - even more than the 11mm pairs. My favourite two baroques in the whole lot. They’ll look most “metallic” in person, but I think they might also be most blemished so if they’re a decent match I’d def ask for more photos and a verbal assessment of surface.

My next choice - if the two reds are overly blemished, or not the right shape for you - would be two of the three green circled pearls, whichever two match best in size, but preferring the bottom two (last row green circle and second-to-last row green circle). I think these shapes are just lovely, more traditional “drops”, and they’re no luster/iridescence slouches!

I also like the top pair circled blue, but I think those bumps on the right pearl might be visible from afar? They’re the classic “baroques” - those rock-like shapes. But luster is slightly inferior compared to the red circled pair.

55A75071-670F-4A54-AB14-0AFBB223FB43.jpeg

Edit - no worries about mixing the pairs up! Yy has done this for me numerous times.

Last edited:

GeliL

Shiny_Rock
Baroques is giving me ideas! I love the more elaborate looks of art deco and victorian styles for baroques, and this design from romanov russia really hits home for what I want for baroque pearls pearl_drop_earrings.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results