Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me pick studs and pendant

Which stud setting?

  • Bezels a la BGD

    Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Bezels a la WF

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bezels with martini underneath

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • 8 prong

    Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Other

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    9

natascha

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Aug 10, 2010
Messages
644
As always, I would everyone's opinion on settings and diamonds. My studs were lost/stolen so I need new ones AND I want a matching pendant.

Originally I was planning on going with new milgrained bezels from ID jewelry, however they raised their prices and at the same time I found a matched pair of OEC at a good price so I will be going custom. I can't send insured to the US ( live in Sweden) so I will try to recreate the design I decide on with a jeweler over here.

I love milgrained bezels that are pretty open in the back however since the diamonds are OEC I am worried that they will need more light (bad experience with my OMC e-ring) so maybe I should go with eight prongs?

The stones are a matched pair of good cut OEC 0.35ct each I color and eye clean SI.

Which setting should I go with? And if anyone has any pros and cons?
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/home/ring-details/?product_id=5566
http://www.whiteflash.com/diamond-earrings/handmade-full-bezel-diamond-earrings-1537.htm
http://www.whiteflash.com/diamond-earrings/8-prong-martini-diamond-earrings-1548.htm

The pendant will be the same as the studs. I can not wear the culet on my skin because I get a rash but I want the back as open as possible. A dream would be some type of mechanism so that I can attach a dangle to the pendant, any idea how this would be possible?

I have been looking at something like this http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/home/ring-details/?product_id=5352 . Oh yes and the chain should be removable too. Lots of demands, I know :oops: .

I did buy a diamond for the pendant but I am kind of regretting it. It is a very lively transitional cut diamond at 0.43ct, H color and I1 clarity. The clarity is kind of why I regret the purchase. It has a visible black inclusion. I thought it would be fine since its for a pendant and no one will be looking closely at it but now I don't know what to do. What would you do? Keep it or find a new one and suck up the loss?
 

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 17, 2008
Messages
11,288
I would keep it all together. Either get the Barbara pendant and the BG bezel earrings or get the WF earrings and find a matching pendant on their site. I like the bezels better than the 8 prong.
 

natascha

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Aug 10, 2010
Messages
644
AprilBaby|1316023076|3017508 said:
I would keep it all together. Either get the Barbara pendant and the BG bezel earrings or get the WF earrings and find a matching pendant on their site. I like the bezels better than the 8 prong.
Thanks for your response! I will probably get the settings done by a local jeweler since it is practically impossible to ship insured from Sweden. Wish I could just send them over to either WF or BCG, cheaper and safer that I would get exactly what I want.

I am a bit confused over which type of design fits best to the ear, my lobes have a tendency to go backwards and I want the least amount of tilt. Also I was reading that the martini style can make your holes bigger so maybe the BCG style is best?
 

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
56,149
I adore Brian Gavin's milgrain bezel earrings and pendant. I have the pendant and love it!!! I think the milgrain bezels would be gorgeous for your earrings. Light is reflected through the top of a diamond, so the bezel will not hurt anything. I think 8 prongs would overwhelm small stones. I would get a new pendant stone because the inclusion would definitely bother me.
 

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Apr 4, 2010
Messages
9,667
I find the style of bezel earrings that BGD does to be very comfortable. that gets my vote!
 

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Feb 27, 2007
Messages
24,123
I voted for brawled a la BGD.
 

natascha

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Aug 10, 2010
Messages
644
Diamondseeker- Wow I love your set. Your special pendant design is just amazing :love: ! I too am looking for something very pen on the back but not cinch since that gives me a rash. Can you take out the chain from yours? I keep waffling back and forth regarding the pendant stone.It is a beautiful cut and at normal pendant viewing distance you can't see the inclusion, still I am worried that it is going to bug me. I think I am going to wait and check out some other stones to see how I feel.

I know that in well cut modern stones then the light goes through the top but I have encountered the problem with my e-ring that is an OMC that it apparently gets in light from the pavilion too. I am really sad that my setting has hidden a lot of the fireworks that my diamond used to do. But I am hoping that my earring stones wont do that.

Slg47- Your studs look huge on you! It's great to see bezels in a size closer to the ones I am getting. Thank you!

marcy- Thanks for the help and the unintended laugh.

Oh, I think that I will go with the BCG style bezels. Votes are divided between bezels and 8 prongs but no one has spoken up for he 8 prongs, Anybody? :wavey:

I am officially awful at taking pics but these are my pretties.

konring1.JPG
 

MdF

Rough_Rock
Joined
Sep 16, 2011
Messages
7
What are the differences between the BGD and WF bezels, if I could ask? Thickness in the bezel?
 

natascha

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Aug 10, 2010
Messages
644
MdF|1316527969|3021298 said:
What are the differences between the BGD and WF bezels, if I could ask? Thickness in the bezel?
The difference is underneath the bezel, the BCG one is like an U underneath and the WF one is like a V . Trying to figure out which one is better.
 

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Apr 26, 2007
Messages
8,087
I cheated and voted twice, for bezels a la BGD OR bezels with martinis underneath - I think it's more a comfort issue than a style issue between these two (I'd suggest buying a pair of fakes in each style just to see what sits more comfortably on your ear - it does seem to depend on the individual ear as much as anything else! some people say the martini-style hurts and/or widens their holes; some people say the broad u-shaped base makes the stone sit a little funny, so, you decide). But I WOULD go for the bezels over 8-prongs: I find that unless they're really delicately done, 8 prong-settings can kinda look like they're swallowing the stone. I'd feel comfortable with the bezel for earrings - just make sure the bezels don't cover up too much of the crown facets, and you'll be fine.

For the pendant stone ... I have to say, I think I'd try to sell it on, and keep looking. I love looking at my pendants, and an eye-visible inclusion would bug me. For making it dangle-adjustable, there's an easy way to do this: they just take a bit of wire, solder it to the base of the bezel at the back, and curve it up so you can loop other pendants over it. I have a brooch like this, will see if I can hunt it down and take a pic ....
 

natascha

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Aug 10, 2010
Messages
644
Circe|1316533933|3021379 said:
I cheated and voted twice, for bezels a la BGD OR bezels with martinis underneath - I think it's more a comfort issue than a style issue between these two (I'd suggest buying a pair of fakes in each style just to see what sits more comfortably on your ear - it does seem to depend on the individual ear as much as anything else! some people say the martini-style hurts and/or widens their holes; some people say the broad u-shaped base makes the stone sit a little funny, so, you decide). But I WOULD go for the bezels over 8-prongs: I find that unless they're really delicately done, 8 prong-settings can kinda look like they're swallowing the stone. I'd feel comfortable with the bezel for earrings - just make sure the bezels don't cover up too much of the crown facets, and you'll be fine.

For the pendant stone ... I have to say, I think I'd try to sell it on, and keep looking. I love looking at my pendants, and an eye-visible inclusion would bug me. For making it dangle-adjustable, there's an easy way to do this: they just take a bit of wire, solder it to the base of the bezel at the back, and curve it up so you can loop other pendants over it. I have a brooch like this, will see if I can hunt it down and take a pic ....
Thank you for the great response! I am starting to react again to my silver earrings so it's back to 18kt gold for me. So buying cheapies is no longer a good idea. Since my taste has changed a bit the last years (used to wear either gold dangles e.g leaves or hearts or I would wear tiny tiny studs e.g. 2.5mm nearly black sapphire studs) I want my new earrings ASAP.

Regarding the pendant I think I am going to look around and see what I can find. With old cuts I want to see them in person before buying which really diminishes the quantity of stones in my reach. I paid $315 for the 0.43ct H I1 so I don't think I will be able to get even close to that. The inclusion is such a shame since it is such a lively stone.Your solution to the dangle sounds exactly like what I was thinking, great to now that it works. I would really appreciate it if you have the possibility to take a pic.

So I ended up ordering earrings close to the BCG ones. Handmade 18kt palladium white gold for $400 so I am really happy with that price. For the same setting I was quoted at one place $2550. Crazy :errrr: . Now 2-3weeks wait.
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Scorpio Style
    Scorpio Style
    Good Customer Service Goes a Long Way
    Good Customer Service Goes a Long Way
    5.5 Carat Diamond Upgrade
    5.5 Carat Diamond Upgrade

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top