shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me pick between these round diamonds

Balki Bartokomous

Rough_Rock
Hi all. I’ve been doing a lot of research and finally THINK I know a little bit about what I’m doing at this point. I’m looking for a round stone smaller than 3 and at least 2.25. I probably could have dropped down the color to H and clarity to VS2 and still had a clean diamond right? I just wanted to be sure and the price difference wasn’t terrible so I just set the filter higher. Without considering size, which of these diamonds do you think would have the most sparkle? Do any of them have any issues I should be concerned with and therefore avoid? I only really care about things the naked eye can see. I’d appreciate any insight you have for me.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Hello @Balki Bartokomous! We need videos to help you out.

Sometimes there are stones with good angles that still don't work. We need to look for obstruction, pavilion twist, tinges, graining, and all sorts of other things.

Balki Bartokomous

Rough_Rock
I'll try to post the videos shortly.... based on the straight numbers though, does it look like I'm on the right track?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Without pics or videos we can't help. None of the numbers are horrible, but that's all I can say until I get more info

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's another option for you to take a look at, 2.55 G for around $2K.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
A lot of your choices have graining. Are they all CVD? Of yours, I like the 2.62 FVS1, but wait until you hear from the experts. I’m still a newbie.

@kim N’s choice is lovely. The HPHT material is crisp and bright, too.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A lot of your choices have graining. Are they all CVD? Of yours, I like the 2.62 FVS1, but wait until you hear from the experts. I’m still a newbie.

@kim N’s choice is lovely. The HPHT material is crisp and bright, too.

I agree, the cut on the ones Balki Bartokomous posted are mostly good, but the material isn't great on all of them.

Balki Bartokomous

Rough_Rock
I agree, the cut on the ones Balki Bartokomous posted are mostly good, but the material isn't great on all of them.

I think they are all CVD. Is the graining visible to the naked eye? How much of a difference does it make in finished product? Maybe I'm just not seeing what is different between them all. Any hints on what I'm not seeing?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think they are all CVD. Is the graining visible to the naked eye? How much of a difference does it make in finished product? Maybe I'm just not seeing what is different between them all. Any hints on what I'm not seeing?

The graining itself may not be visible to the naked eye, but it may result in haziness, especially in direct sunlight.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Here are some examples. It isn’t seen by the naked eye, but it will obscure light.

I’m not an expert on this, so some of the areas might not meet strict criteria. But you get the general idea.

You’ll see how clean the HPHT material is in @kim N’s pick.

IMG_7480.jpeg IMG_7482.jpeg IMG_7484.jpeg IMG_7485.jpeg

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are some examples. It isn’t seen by the naked eye, but it will obscure light.

I’m not an expert on this, so some of the areas might not meet strict criteria. But you get the general idea.

I agree completely!

Balki Bartokomous

Rough_Rock

So what I'm looking at are the little lines in the circles? Are all CVD like that? So I have the cut down well but the material of the diamond would be an issue? Should I go HPHT then? I'm lucky my SO is even agreeing to lab grown so I was concerned about it testing as moissanite and was trying to avoid that.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
What’s making you hesitate on @kim N’s choice? Is it the price? HPHT is a diamond, just like CVD. Both methods have their pitfalls. You just need to check the material when you’re looking at the videos. Avoiding a false reading on a cheap diamond tester shouldn’t be a main concern.

If you tell us your size, criteria and budget, PSers will be able to find you something wonderful.

Balki Bartokomous

Rough_Rock
What’s making you hesitate on @kim N’s choice? Is it the price? HPHT is a diamond, just like CVD. Both methods have their pitfalls. You just need to check the material when you’re looking at the videos. Avoiding a false reading on a cheap diamond tester shouldn’t be a main concern.

If you tell us your size, criteria and budget, PSers will be able to find you something wonderful.

Yeah, the operative word is "shouldn't" be a concern :) I'm dealing with a woman here (no offense to any others here). Logic isn't completely factoring in but I'm at least a step ahead of all the "must have natural diamond" ladies! I just rather not have her have it tested at some point and pop as moissanite and have to have that discussion (because she specifically said she doesn't want moiss) but if I'm going to get a much better stone with HPHT I guess I can roll the dice. I'm not necessarily hesitating on kim's suggestion, I'm just trying to learn for myself exactly what I'm doing as it seems foreign to my untrained eye. In terms of budget, I'm flexible (rather be around $1200 - $1400 but can go higher if needed), but I'm not looking to overspend for things which don't matter / can't be seen. As long as she looks at the stone (and others look) and are like yup, that looks nice, that is all I really care about. In terms of size, I'm looking at around 2.5ish +/- a little. I think 3 is too big for her. Have any other stone recommendations I can look at? Much appreciated!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, the operative word is "shouldn't" be a concern :) I'm dealing with a woman here (no offense to any others here). Logic isn't completely factoring in but I'm at least a step ahead of all the "must have natural diamond" ladies! I just rather not have her have it tested at some point and pop as moissanite and have to have that discussion (because she specifically said she doesn't want moiss) but if I'm going to get a much better stone with HPHT I guess I can roll the dice. I'm not necessarily hesitating on kim's suggestion, I'm just trying to learn for myself exactly what I'm doing as it seems foreign to my untrained eye. In terms of budget, I'm flexible (rather be around $1200 - $1400 but can go higher if needed), but I'm not looking to overspend for things which don't matter / can't be seen. As long as she looks at the stone (and others look) and are like yup, that looks nice, that is all I really care about. In terms of size, I'm looking at around 2.5ish +/- a little. I think 3 is too big for her. Have any other stone recommendations I can look at? Much appreciated!

There's no blue nuance that I can see in the diamond Kim N suggested, meaning that it is devoid of boron making it a Type IIa diamond which should test just fine.
HPHT diamonds that are Type IIb are just as much a diamond as Type IIa, but cheap testers can throw a false negative.
The same could/would happen with a Type IIb earth grown diamond.
It's the difference in conductivity that screws up the cheap testers.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I have two possibilities that need to be checked by @Kim N and @DejaWiz.

2.70 GVS2 $1258 with a question of blue nuance. HPHT
https://www.loosegrowndiamond.com/inventory/?sku=618455415&skuu=618455415

2.60 EVS1 $1196 with questionable angles at 35.9/40.4 which give a 16. HPHT
https://www.loosegrowndiamond.com/inventory/?sku=607337008

Now by posting them, they may get swiped, but they're questionable anyway so fingers crossed! :pray:

First one - some pavilion twist around the 2-3 o'clock position.

Second one - pavilion angle too shallow for a ring (my opinion).

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
First one - some pavilion twist around the 2-3 o'clock position.

Second one - pavilion angle too shallow for a ring (my opinion).

Yeah, there weren’t great pickings, as far as I could see. I still like @kim N’s 2.55.

Thanks for checking them, @DejaWiz!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
@Balki Bartokomous, if you increase your budget, there will be more options. But I realize it’s always a balance.

Balki Bartokomous

Rough_Rock
@Balki Bartokomous, if you increase your budget, there will be more options. But I realize it’s always a balance.

Definitely willing to increase if there is a perceptible benefit to it in the quality. Just wondering if something in the $1500 price range is "good enough." Will a $2k stone look that much better than a $1500 etc....

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Could the experts check these two? Tagging @DejaWiz @Kim N @0-0-0 @lovedogs

2.70 GVVS2 $1715 34.4/40.8/15
https://www.loosegrowndiamond.com/inventory/?sku=LGD-603342836&skuu=LGD-603342836

This is a little outside of normal range, but posted bc of the 15.5 crown height.
2.64 EVS2 $1975 35.1/40.7/15.5
https://www.loosegrowndiamond.com/inventory/?sku=LGD-621481661&skuu=LGD-621481661

First option: blue nuance.
Second option: looks like a winner!

The crown angle of 35.1 may appear to be outside of recommend range, but keep in mind that GIA would have rounded it to 35 flat. :)

It's a bit misaligned in the video which is slightly skewing the appearance, but all seems fine, otherwise.
Lowers are likely around 75-77%, stars appear to not exceed about 50% - all good to me.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

mghdi1120

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hi all. I’ve been doing a lot of research and finally THINK I know a little bit about what I’m doing at this point. I’m looking for a round stone smaller than 3 and at least 2.25. I probably could have dropped down the color to H and clarity to VS2 and still had a clean diamond right? I just wanted to be sure and the price difference wasn’t terrible so I just set the filter higher. Without considering size, which of these diamonds do you think would have the most sparkle? Do any of them have any issues I should be concerned with and therefore avoid? I only really care about things the naked eye can see. I’d appreciate any insight you have for me.

They all look pretty similar, no red flags. 2 or 3 of them have blank graphics with no numerical values on the cert??
Add the cost to help call the shot!

Balki Bartokomous

Rough_Rock
Oh I missed that blue nuance! That darker grey background tricked me.

@Balki Bartokomous, for your desired size, you’re looking at the $2k range for a good quality diamond.
Thanks. That is only $500 more than what I had been looking at anyway so if I'll truly get a much better looking stone for a little more, that isn't out of the question. Also, how does purchasing work. If I want a setting from somewhere else, would they have access to that stone?

They all look pretty similar, no red flags. 2 or 3 of them have blank graphics with no numerical values on the cert??
Add the cost to help call the shot!
These were all in the $1400-$1500 range I believe.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
You can ask the place with the setting if they have access to the stone and if they’ll price match. What’s the setting you’re looking at?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results