shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me pick a stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

michgirl16

Rough_Rock
Hello All-
I cannot thank everyone enough for all the helpful information, this place is really a lifesaver for diamond seekers! With the help of Ellen, I have found a few stones I am interested, any feedback on what you guys think would be appreciated. My budget for the stone is around $15,000 and I wanted to get as close to 2 carats as possible without sparing the quality , it is important for it to sparkle as much as possible(excellent cut & symmetry) and face up white...I though I had to stay within G-H in color but after reading it seems that some I color stones face up white. Here are my options so far:

http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-1181460.htm#

http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/4495/

http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-1204644.htm#

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/2372/

http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-1181448.htm

Any reason why you think one is superior to the other, or a reason for me to spend more money on one versus another? Any opnions would be helpful...Thank You!!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Skip!

The second, third and fourth diamonds look to be the best ones, check with the third WF diamond that the very thin part of the girdle is ok ( I would imagine it is). They are all lovely stones, it depends on your budget and colour/ carat preferences.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/4/2008 4:48:23 AM
Author: Lorelei
Thanks Skip!

The second, third and fourth diamonds look to be the best ones, check with the third WF diamond that the very thin part of the girdle is ok ( I would imagine it is). They are all lovely stones, it depends on your budget and colour/ carat preferences.
Lorelei, that's that H I found for the other poster, where the Sarin stated it was actually med to sl thick. However, it's also the one with the strong flourescence.
28.gif

michgirl, are you familiar with fluorescence? Another poster had apparently enquired about that same stone, and Brian said it definitely shows a violet/blue hue in the sun. Some people love this and actually look fo it, some don't. You'd need to decide if that's something you want/don't mind. If you don't mind, I'd get this one.

If you didn't want that one, and want the best cut you can get at the best price, then I'd pick this one.

Skippy, thanks for the links!!

BKDJ

Rough_Rock
I''ve bought some great stones for around that price from www.bonicci.net

-Anthony

:)

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/4/2008 8:41:21 AM
Author: BKDJ

-Anthony
Anthony if you are in the trade you need to disclose that. Your prior posts on the EGL Israel thread indicate that you sell stones to customers.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/4/2008 10:17:53 AM
Author: :)

Date: 9/4/2008 8:41:21 AM

-Anthony
Anthony if you are in the trade you need to disclose that. Your prior posts on the EGL Israel thread indicate that you sell stones to customers.
Indeed.

https://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/faq.asp?mode=policy

Members of the diamond and jewelry trade must identify themselves by specifying their personal and business names in their profiles.

michgirl16

Rough_Rock
Thanks again everybody... I guess I have never thought about or seen a stone with strong fluorescence. I read somewhere in this forum that if you have strong fluorescence and the color grading is not too high, that it actually makes the stone face up whiter? Does anyone have any pictures that shows a violet/blue hue in the sun? I have never payed attention to it or I have never seen it? Thanks again for your help... Also one more question regarding buying from an online vendor, once I receive the stone in the mail, should I take it to an appraiser to make sure it is the exact stone I purchased, or what do you suggest to do as the protocol after buying online (I have never done it before and people I mention it to think it is risky, especially my mom!)? I am going to take it to get a setting made at 23rd street jewelers...Thanks again for your help and guidance, can''t wait to put my bling up here soon!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/4/2008 8:38:11 AM
Author: Ellen

Date: 9/4/2008 4:48:23 AM
Author: Lorelei
Thanks Skip!

Lorelei, that's that H I found for the other poster, where the Sarin stated it was actually med to sl thick. However, it's also the one with the strong flourescence.
28.gif

michgirl, are you familiar with fluorescence? Another poster had apparently enquired about that same stone, and Brian said it definitely shows a violet/blue hue in the sun. Some people love this and actually look fo it, some don't. You'd need to decide if that's something you want/don't mind. If you don't mind, I'd get this one.

If you didn't want that one, and want the best cut you can get at the best price, then I'd pick this one.

Skippy, thanks for the links!!
So ' tis!
9.gif

Here is a link with a pic of a diamond with strong blue fluorescence, there are more around if you use the search tool.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/thoughts-on-this-stone-with-very-strong-blue-fluorescence.90655/

As to having the diamond verified by a third party, that is fine if it gives you peace of mind, but you can be assured that the vendors you are considering working with are completely trustworthy.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/4/2008 12:27:11 PM
Author: michgirl16
Thanks again everybody... I guess I have never thought about or seen a stone with strong fluorescence. I read somewhere in this forum that if you have strong fluorescence and the color grading is not too high, that it actually makes the stone face up whiter? Does anyone have any pictures that shows a violet/blue hue in the sun? I have never payed attention to it or I have never seen it? Thanks again for your help... Also one more question regarding buying from an online vendor, once I receive the stone in the mail, should I take it to an appraiser to make sure it is the exact stone I purchased, or what do you suggest to do as the protocol after buying online (I have never done it before and people I mention it to think it is risky, especially my mom!)? I am going to take it to get a setting made at 23rd street jewelers...Thanks again for your help and guidance, can''t wait to put my bling up here soon!
Actually, I have a pic right here. However, how much color the WF stone would have, I can''t say. You could show them this pic and ask how it compares, if interested. As for helping the stone face up brighter, I have heard varying views. J and down are what I hear it helps the most, but I think it may be a case by case basis, who knows?

If you are buying from WF, you need not worry. But taking it to an independant appraiser (one who does not sell jewelry) just to verify the stone and grading report match after purchase would be prudent. That''s what I did on my first big purchase.

And a setting from 23rd St??? Be still my heart! I LOVE their settings. I can''t wait to see what you end up with.
30.gif

Strong flo in a K.

firefire.jpg

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty flouresence. Gorgeous.

BKDJ

Rough_Rock
I cant really say that I am "in the trade" I like to buy, and when I want to upgrade, I sell! Its a hobby gone wild! but my full-time job is... music! does that make me "in the trade"?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/5/2008 9:41:58 AM
I cant really say that I am ''in the trade'' I like to buy, and when I want to upgrade, I sell! Its a hobby gone wild! but my full-time job is... music! does that make me ''in the trade''?
Nope! Sorry for the misunderstanding.

BKDJ

Rough_Rock
still not sure why there was a misunderstanding!

it''s all good :)
Anthony

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/5/2008 10:20:14 AM
still not sure why there was a misunderstanding!

it's all good :)
Anthony
Anthony, I also got the impression from reading your posts, especially on the EGL thread, that you were in the trade, for example -

But from personal experiance, I have bought several stones at the Israeli Boursa with EGL's. When I resold them, the customers requested GIA or AGS certs which I then had to send in the stones to get certified, in all cases they matched my israeli EGLs and in a case or two, the % distribution (cut) was a higher grade when marked by GIA...

Again sorry for any misunderstanding, but it did come across as if you were a professional or in the trade in some way. But anyway as you say it is all good - welcome to Pricescope
35.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yep, what Lorelei said.

michgirl16

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone -
It is me again, So here is my scenario. My BF bought a stone from a family friend/jeweler that helped him pick a stone because he had no idea what he was doing and is not an internet/researcher guy. He thought that was the best thing to do, this is what he bought:

http://www.gia.edu/reportcheck/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.showReportVerification&reportno=17262141&weight=1.40

(Sorry I don''t know how to make it a link?)

I ran the HCA on it and it is 4.7, I have found many stones that are bigger for the same price and a much better score(With the help of Ellen)!

He payed $12,000 for it. I ran the numbers on some of the tools found on this website and it seems like an okay stone, not that great for the money. His budget was $15K for the stone and I wanted something bigger closer to 1.75. And I really want it to sparkle and have lots of fire. He says that the jeweler said he could bring it back and they would buy it back from him. Do you think it is worth the hassle to take it back to get something better such as this stones mentioned in this thread. I think my boyfriend was hurt that I wanted to take it back, but I think it is such a big investment that we should get what I really want and our moneys worth. What do you guys think? He says he doesnt really care about it anymore and but at the same time he knows nothing about diamonds...

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/8/2008 4:58:08 PM
Author: michgirl16
Hi everyone -
It is me again, So here is my scenario. My BF bought a stone from a family friend/jeweler that helped him pick a stone because he had no idea what he was doing and is not an internet/researcher guy. He thought that was the best thing to do, this is what he bought:

http://www.gia.edu/reportcheck/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.showReportVerification&reportno=17262141&weight=1.40

(Sorry I don't know how to make it a link?)

I ran the HCA on it and it is 4.7, I have found many stones that are bigger for the same price and a much better score(With the help of Ellen)!

He payed $12,000 for it. I ran the numbers on some of the tools found on this website and it seems like an okay stone, not that great for the money. His budget was $15K for the stone and I wanted something bigger closer to 1.75. And I really want it to sparkle and have lots of fire. He says that the jeweler said he could bring it back and they would buy it back from him. Do you think it is worth the hassle to take it back to get something better such as this stones mentioned in this thread. I think my boyfriend was hurt that I wanted to take it back, but I think it is such a big investment that we should get what I really want and our moneys worth. What do you guys think? He says he doesnt really care about it anymore and but at the same time he knows nothing about diamonds...
Yes, I do. With a score like that, it's not even iffy....

I understand that your boyfriend doesn't know much (none of us did in the beginning!), and that he's apprehensive (we were that too). But by going with a "family friend/jeweler", whom he trusted, he ended up with way worse than he would have on here, and paid more for it. I cannot tell you how many times this happens, actually, about 99.9% of the time.
40.gif

Have him read the tutorial section here, let him be a part of this process, unless he doesn't want to. If he starts to learn about cut, he will understand why it's so important to how well a stone looks/performs. And if he doesn't want to learn, (some don't) then you pick the stone out, we'll help. And we'll help him too if he likes!

This is a big amount of money, let's spend it wisely.
2.gif

Tutorial.

http://diamonds.pricescope.com/

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results