shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me pick a diamond! Would you sacrifice color for size?

Beachyblondewaves

Rough_Rock
Hi!
I'm new to pricescope and currently have a diamond on hold and have been looking at some other options as they come along. I honestly wanted some opinions and insight into what everyone thinks as I'm having trouble deciding. Originally I went in with the specs of and oval diamond that is 2 carats with at least and H or higher in color. Then he put a K colored 2.5 on my ring that measures like a 3 carat, and. o m g I didn't want to take it off! I just know that yellow tinted diamonds have a bad rep....the color doesn't bother me and the bling the cut gives off is amazing. I don't want anyone judging it tbh, I know I shouldn't care what others think but I'm really sensitive. My boyfriend love love loves the ring and so do the 2 sales associates that I was working with. They said they would even choose the K one over another H I was looking at which was 5,000 more! So I definitely don't think they would be lying lol! Anyways I'll post some pics and see what you all think! Thanks in advance :)

Also, I'm worried about the lighter halo around the K, does that look bad? Would you put in darker colored diamonds to match?

The other diamond is a 1.7 G SI eye clean, the one I have on hold is 2.5 K vs2

_2747.jpeg

_2748.jpeg

_2749.jpeg

_2750.jpeg

absolutme77

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Re: Help me pick a diamond! Would you sacrifice color for si

If it helps, I did too - I got a 1.57ct K VS1 cushion that faces up like a 2 ct. Personally, I love the K now. It's a chameleon so sometimes it's more white, other times more yellow.
I think your larger oval is beautiful. And I don't think the halo looks bad. I have f/g melee in mine. Even if you put darker melee, they will still look whiter than the center stone. The way it looks in your picture shows a very nice contrast.

My halo for reference - K center, F/G melee:

_2756.jpeg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I absolutely would leave the halo with white stones. A K center is a very light yellow, so the white halo will accentuate the color. You may as well embrace it rather than try to disguise it, because that will not work. If anyone says anything, you can say you chose a champagne color diamond because you love it. :))

There will be people who have negative thoughts about a visibly tinted stone. If that bothers you, then I would stick with I color or higher. I think you need to get that diamond in different lighting that jewelry store lighting to see how you feel about it in natural lighting, though.

I think absolutme77's ring is lovely, and I have another PS friend who has a K asscher in a halo and it is lovely, too. You just have to decide if you want a champagne/light yellow diamond for your e-ring.

2016-02-05_0.jpg

Beachyblondewaves

Rough_Rock

Thanks for the response! The jewelry store people were great and let me walk outside with the diamonds in the natural light so the 1st and last picture are outdoor natural sunlight and the middle 2 pics are the indoor lighting. It definitely makes the difference on the ring color. When I see it in person I absolutely love it and want to take her home right away, but then I always second guess the color when I leave and look back at the pictures. It doesn't help that my mom and aunt say they light the white bright stones. I guess it's all personal choice!

Beachyblondewaves

Rough_Rock

Absolutme77 your ring is so pretty! Thank you for sharing it really helps me get an idea of what I'm looking at! So I'll probably stick with the lighter diamonds in the halo and just rock it out lol. I love the color and personality of the diamond I picked out and I honestly don't think I can part with it. I've looked at quite a few and I just haven't seen any others that I'm crazy about. I guess I'll just have to get used to the idea that it will be a different color then the surrounding stones and other people might motice the yellow tint.

victorian10

Rough_Rock

I agree with diamondseeker. If I were in love with a tinted stone, I would do a rose gold french basket which would add to it's beauty with no contrasting diamonds. A friend of mine got engaged last year with a 2 carat low color diamond in a halo. She went low in color to get a bigger stone and she is very paranoid about it. If you want a halo, I would stick with an I or above in color. A 2 carat diamond (even in a low color) is too expensive to not be thrilled with it. Don't make any decisions until you are absolutely sure. There will always be more diamonds.

dollyanjuli

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

there is absolutely nothing wrong with chosing size over color- as long as you love it ALL the time. If there are moments when you look down and say "darn...i love it but i wish it was whiter" then don't do it. It will bother you.

That said, having a very white colored melee halo will absolutely increase the contrast. There are lots of things you can do to make it less noticeable, if you want too. But if you are happy with the whiter halo- go for it! It just sounds like you may be bothered by it later on...so just in case, here are a few things that could help:

1) A rose or yellow gold band (with or without melee) with a white gold head (no halo) will help decrease the contrast
2) Using lower color single cut melee will not have as much contrast
3) a halo that is colored stones (like sapphires, for example) will be provide a color break
4) a halo ring in rose gold or yellow gold can also "soften" the contrast
5) no halo, color side stones can also make it look whiter when side by side

Again, even with these tips it is never going to look like an H stone. I am telling you from experience that if it bothers you even a little now it always will.

Here are some pics for inspiration:

Maytal Hannah rose gold oval (this would be what i would do, personally. not sure if its your taste)
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-maytal-hannah-engangement-ring-oval-in-rose-gold.200616/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-maytal-hannah-engangement-ring-oval-in-rose-gold.200616/[/URL]

M color AVC in rose gold halo:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-gorgeous-dainty-erd-rose-gold-halo-omb.191094/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-gorgeous-dainty-erd-rose-gold-halo-omb.191094/[/URL]

not a K, but a J with sapphire side stones:
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/loose-colorless-diamond-198ct-j-si1-cushion-cut-diamond-r6284

_36913.jpg

_36914.jpg

img_11293.jpg

r6284-cushion-diamond-ring-sapphire-a.jpg

dollyanjuli

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

victorian10|1459573996|4014457 said:
I agree with diamondseeker. If I were in love with a tinted stone, I would do a rose gold french basket which would add to it's beauty with no contrasting diamonds. A friend of mine got engaged last year with a 2 carat low color diamond in a halo. She went low in color to get a bigger stone and she is very paranoid about it. If you want a halo, I would stick with an I or above in color. A 2 carat diamond (even in a low color) is too expensive to not be thrilled with it. Don't make any decisions until you are absolutely sure. There will always be more diamonds.

this is just like the Maytal ring i just posted. i LOVE this ring and think it would look beyond beautiful with a K color diamond!

aftereffects15

Rough_Rock

Ooh that's a pretty K colored diamond, love dollyanjuli's suggestions or just rose gold and no halo

Beachyblondewaves

Rough_Rock

aftereffects15|1459625170|4014674 said:
Ooh that's a pretty K colored diamond, love dollyanjuli's suggestions or just rose gold and no halo

Thank you thank you! I'm in love! Just wanting some opinions on what you all thins :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I just have a different view. I think the white halo flatters the lower color stone and allows them to show their true color in a positive way. I actually have an antique K stone right now and am in a huge dilemma because I do prefer them in a halo, but I am afraid that a halo will make it too big for me. So I am not sure what I will do. When I look at your oval just sitting on your hand, I didn't love it. But once it was in the halo, I did.

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I like the contrast of a whiter halo. I would never pick color over size, but that's just me.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006|1459630560|4014710 said:
I just have a different view. I think the white halo flatters the lower color stone and allows them to show their true color in a positive way. I actually have an antique K stone right now and am in a huge dilemma because I do prefer them in a halo, but I am afraid that a halo will make it too big for me. So I am not sure what I will do. When I look at your oval just sitting on your hand, I didn't love it. But once it was in the halo, I did.

DS has a k?! I thought I'd never see the day! ;-)

Op, I have a k and its worn with other Ks. I would do something besides white metal halo. If that's a three stone, or a rose gold or yellow gold halo, or a white metal French cut sapphire or ruby halo...something that doesn't contrast the color of your diamond of you're wanting the world to know you have a white diamond

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have a K EC which Leo,e say shows more color. Zero regrets. Love it and the K side stones.

_2769.jpeg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Niel|1459632331|4014722 said:
DS has a k?! I thought I'd never see the day! ;-)

:lol: Me neither! It kind of fell into my hands. I do love it, but I just have to figure out what to do with it, or else sell it.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh my gosh a K oval in a rose gold halo!! :love: :love: :appl: You've been given some great advice and opinions here. You mentioned that this stone really speaks to you, listen to your heart! Go with the stone that knocks your socks off, not someone else's. Good luck and let us see what you decide.

Beachyblondewaves

Rough_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1459630560|4014710 said:

I agree the halo makes it pop! I'm a huge fan of halos and I wouldn't get a ring without it, did you try your setting in a halo. I always think that rings can never look too big lol so I'm sure your diamond would be stunning in a halo

Beachyblondewaves

Rough_Rock

Mayk|1459632932|4014728 said:
I have a K EC which Leo,e say shows more color. Zero regrets. Love it and the K side stones.

Soo pretty! Thank you for sharing! I would never even know it's a K, I wish they didn't have such a bad rep because diamonds are beautiful in all colors. My jeweler is looking for more ovals with the specs I want and I've gone in twice already and keep going back to the K stone. She shines so nicely I wish I could post a video

Beachyblondewaves

Rough_Rock

Bonfire|1459644845|4014771 said:
Oh my gosh a K oval in a rose gold halo!! :love: :love: :appl: You've been given some great advice and opinions here. You mentioned that this stone really speaks to you, listen to your heart! Go with the stone that knocks your socks off, not someone else's. Good luck and let us see what you decide.

That rose gold oval is beautiful! I wish I wore rose gold jewelry because the combination really looks lovely together. The diamond really does seem special to me for some reason and has so much personality, I have yet to look at a diamond that I liked better. I know if my bf proposed today with her I would not be disappointed. I guess I just need some thicker skin if people say anything to me about it lol. I looked at a fancy yellow diamond also that I loved, maybe I'm partial to warmer colors after all :)

Beachyblondewaves

Rough_Rock

2 carat fancy diamond next to 2.5 K

_2788.jpeg

hearts-arrows_girl

Brilliant_Rock

I think you will love your K stone. I have seen a K stone in person and it looks plenty white. Of course if you put it next to a "D" it will show the tint, so don't put it next to a "D". Make your halo with H/I stones. I have pictures of my "I" color stone that brought out yellow, I didn't even notice before. :( Sometimes you take a bad photo, that's all, it doesn't mean your stone is bad. Take it outside with trees and greenery. I bet it will explode with sparkle and whiteness. I love it with the setting you showed. I am partial to white gold or platinum. I think it makes the color step up and look great. And you will be getting a 2.5 carat stunner! I can't wait to see your finished product.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock

I would go lower than my I in a heartbeat for a bigger stone.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think the OMB in the rose gold halo is beyond gorgeous! That's EXACTLY what I'd do if I wanted to halo your K oval! I also like the idea of a matched three stone, but the RG halo makes me swoon! :love: :love:

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I did choose size over whiteness. I love warm diamonds. To be honest, though, I did not love the look of my (GIA) L diamond in white metal. My first setting was platinum and had white melee diamonds and I didn't like the contrast in most lighting. My second setting was a platinum solitaire without melee and I like it, but I started to dream about supporting the color rather than trying to hide it. I reset it in rose gold, and I wear it with a band of AVC diamonds that are even warmer than my solitaire diamond. I do sometimes think of a rose gold halo, but I love my set now.

image_590.jpg

Beachyblondewaves

Rough_Rock

hearts-arrows_girl|1459708255|4014944 said:
I think you will love your K stone. I have seen a K stone in person and it looks plenty white. Of course if you put it next to a "D" it will show the tint, so don't put it next to a "D". Make your halo with H/I stones. I have pictures of my "I" color stone that brought out yellow, I didn't even notice before. :( Sometimes you take a bad photo, that's all, it doesn't mean your stone is bad. Take it outside with trees and greenery. I bet it will explode with sparkle and whiteness. I love it with the setting you showed. I am partial to white gold or platinum. I think it makes the color step up and look great. And you will be getting a 2.5 carat stunner! I can't wait to see your finished product.

Thank you you're comment has been so helpful! I feel like in person the K looks amazing and brilliant but these pictures she looks more yellow and they don't show the true beauty. I was wondering if diamond photograph differently. The jeweler said he would put h/I halo stones when I talked to him but in the picture I think they're D/E. I'm partial to white gold and platinum also so I couldn't wear rose gold as an ERing. I wish I could wear it and see it finished in person because I'm sure I'll love it

Beachyblondewaves

Rough_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1459731550|4015098 said:

You're the best! That's a great example I love the way it looks! =)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

That was amazing timing for you to ask at the same time someone posted the very thing you were asking about! I think it looks great, too!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results