shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me identify this 1.75tcw three stone OEC ring: an antique? A gift for my mom, the selfless lady who's never had a diamond ring

reirei

Shiny_Rock
Background:
30 years ago, my mom left everything she knew in her war-ridden homeland to move to the United States with my dad and me to pursue the American dream. I've always understood their sacrifice but it's not until that I was older that I realized how hard it was for them. My mom was always very frugal and I remember as a little kid, when I asked her where her ring was, she would say that my dad never bought her one. They worked labor intensive jobs all their lives and even until this day, my mom wakes up at 5am everyday to go her factory job as a seamstress. Her selfless ways has always propelled me to become the independent and motivated adult I am today! I remember that when I was a teenager, I vowed that I would grow up to buy her a diamond ring that she would love. My mom currently wears a modest jade ring. Her style is simple but elegant and she sometimes mixes and matches gold and silver. She's in her late 60s - truly a superwoman and my hero!

Since I found this forum, I've been fascinated by all the old cuts: European cuts, old mine cuts, and french cuts! (Thank you PSers, I would have never known about them without you!)

I've been browsing and looking at a lot of different styles but none of them seemed to scream my mom's style! (Note: she's a short person about 5 feet tall so I didn't want to get her anything overwhelming)
Recently, I stumbled upon a ring that seemed to match my mom - a lovely three stone european diamond ring in 14k gold (and platinum?). It was an ebay auction and at the very last second, I got outbidded! Crestfallen, I searched everywhere on the internet to find a similar ring, but could not find one. I messaged the seller asking if there's any way the ring is still available as I really wanted to buy the ring for my mom. The sweet seller apologized and said the ring has already been shipped out and that there will be others.

A week or so went by. Out of nowhere, the seller messaged me saying the original buyer has backed out and is returning the ring! Somehow the one that got away came back! (The seller, Les, and his wife Marybeth are really sweet and their shop is a family owned business of about 12 years. They have many nice antique and vintage items up for auction all the time!).

I'm really excited to gift this to my mom when I see her in 2-3 months! It will be so meaningful and her first diamond ring!
What do you think? How did I do?

Specs for the Three Stone Diamond Ring:
  • 14K gold (and platinum?)
  • 1.75ct Total Carat Weight (approximately)
  • European Diamond Three Stone with 4 Sides
  • Center Stone: ~6MM
  • 2 stones: ~4.5MM
  • 4 side stones: ~1.5MM
  • All diamonds in Old European Cut Style
  • Size 6.75
  • 2.8 Grams Total
  • If I had to guess it would be an I or J color with very good clarity (I'm not a gemologist but it's a shade less white than my H and G colored stones - it's very white though!). I louped it and there were no inclusions and it's very clear!
  • Paid $2000 + tax

Help!
  • What year do you think this ring is from?
  • Is it an antique ring?
  • What style would you say this ring is?

I don't have access to a jeweler/gemologist right now due to COVID19 so your help would be much appreciated!

The 3 stone OEC ring is so beautiful in person, with so much fire and sparkle and chunkiness! The flower center for the 6mm center diamond and the 2 others are so pretty! The 2 4.5mm diamonds have a kozibe effect. The very small 1.5mm diamonds (2 on each of the sides) are also sweet with rougher european cuts.

Original ebay item: https://www.ebay.com/itm/14K-SOLID-...069660?hash=item594f181cdc:g:tPIAAOSwF8lexsYi

P.S.
Thank you PSers for this wonderful community and all your knowledge. You've been amazing and so vital while in this journey to learn more about old cuts such as European cuts, old mine cuts, and french cuts and colored gemstones in general!
DSC03615.JPG DSC03620.JPG DSC03635.JPG DSC03636.JPG DSC03637.JPG DSC03638.JPG DSC03639.JPG DSC03641.JPG DSC03642.JPG DSC03649.JPG DSC03658.JPG DSC03673.JPG DSC03674.JPG DSC03709.JPG s-l1600 (9).JPG

Last edited:

maita13

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, @reirei! I’m no expert but I love the facet pattern of the center stone!
More importantly is the sweet and loving gesture you’re making for your mom.
Your acknowledgement of her sacrifices is every parent’s dream. Although as a parent, you want nothing in return for raising your children (because that’s what parents do), still, there’s nothing quite heartwarming than a child appreciating and reciprocating a mother’s love for her. She must be very proud of you. And you’re both lucky to have each other.

Congrats in finding such a pretty ring! I’m sure your mom will love it not for its blingy-ness, but because YOU gave it to her. The ring is just icing on the cake.

reirei

Shiny_Rock
Hi, @reirei! I’m no expert but I love the facet pattern of the center stone!
More importantly is the sweet and loving gesture you’re making for your mom.
Your acknowledgement of her sacrifices is every parent’s dream. Although as a parent, you want nothing in return for raising your children (because that’s what parents do), still, there’s nothing quite heartwarming than a child appreciating and reciprocating a mother’s love for her. She must be very proud of you. And you’re both lucky to have each other.

Congrats in finding such a pretty ring! I’m sure your mom will love it not for its blingy-ness, but because YOU gave it to her. The ring is just icing on the cake.

Thank you @maitai13 - your response made me tear up a little bit :cry:
I'm happy you love the facet pattern too!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@reirei I think it’s a gorgeous ring but the meaning behind it is even lovelier. And it becoming available again for you just makes it more special. It’s clearly meant to be. You’re very kind and thoughtful for noticing her sacrifices and appreciating them.
The faceting looks like it will be a bright and lively ring.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring, even more beautiful sentiment.
Your mother is indeed a fine lady having raised you up to a caring, loving, thoughtful and generous daughter.
Believe me, the feelings behind your gift will mean so much more to your mother than the beautiful ring itself.
Tell her how it came back to you after it was sold to another, it truly is the ring meant for your mother.
She will wear it with much love and pride.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a sweet sentiment and a stunning ring! The price seems legit to me, and the ring is meant to be <3! It came back to you! Let us know how your mom reacts? When will you bequeath it?

Ladygrey

Shiny_Rock
That's a really lovely ring. Not overwhelming, but classic, with an elegant presence. I think it's beautiful, but (as everyone else has said) the thoughtfulness of the gift is even more beautiful. I can't imagine how much it will mean to your mother to receive it!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I'm no expert, but it looks like a possible original 1920-40's fishtail illusion setting.
It's beautiful with great stones. It's a lovely example.
I think my heart would just burst if one of my babies gave me something like this. :kiss2:
Please ask for your mom to model for us when she can, I would love to see it.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Reirei! I love the ring you bought for your mother. Yes I believe your ring is authentic vintage. I’m guessing the date range of the setting is late 1930s-early1940s. The center stone looks like it was cut in the 1930s and it is an American Cut OEC style. The two side stones look a tiny bit older, I think cut earlier than the 1930s. They have a high crown and small table, which is why you see koizibe. The center stone looks like it has really broad flashes of light, this shows the skill of the cutter, who made it look chunky in spite of the larger table. I love your diamonds, they are each well cut, IMO, and they look bright and lively and white. The tiny side stones I believe are single cuts, which would be typical of settings from late 1930s/1940s. I believe it is called an “illusion setting” with a fishtail prong look. “Illusion”means the diamonds are set into a metal frame that extends a tiny bit beyond the diamond so they look slightly bigger. I believe the prongs and illusion head are white gold because of the 14K mark. The ring is really lovely and each part of it is special. This is a really special gift and I hope your mom loves it!

reirei

Shiny_Rock
Hi Reirei! I love the ring you bought for your mother. Yes I believe your ring is authentic vintage. I’m guessing the date range of the setting is late 1930s-early1940s. The center stone looks like it was cut in the 1930s and it is an American Cut OEC style. The two side stones look a tiny bit older, I think cut earlier than the 1930s. They have a high crown and small table, which is why you see koizibe. The center stone looks like it has really broad flashes of light, this shows the skill of the cutter, who made it look chunky in spite of the larger table. I love your diamonds, they are each well cut, IMO, and they look bright and lively and white. The tiny side stones I believe are single cuts, which would be typical of settings from late 1930s/1940s. I believe it is called an “illusion setting” with a fishtail prong look. “Illusion”means the diamonds are set into a metal frame that extends a tiny bit beyond the diamond so they look slightly bigger. I believe the prongs and illusion head are white gold because of the 14K mark. The ring is really lovely and each part of it is special. This is a really special gift and I hope your mom loves it!

@LightBright - this is much more than I hoped for - thank you so much for your expertise on this ring!!! I learned so much from your post! <3 <3 <3

I was inspired by you to clean and take better photos of the ring in different lighting conditions outside so that I could match the pictures w/ the commentary you posted.

The center stone looks like it was cut in the 1930s and it is an American Cut OEC style.

The center stone looks like it has really broad flashes of light, this shows the skill of the cutter, who made it look chunky in spite of the larger table.
DSC03727.JPG
DSC03780.JPG
DSC03734.JPG
DSC03757.JPG

The two side stones look a tiny bit older, I think cut earlier than the 1930s. They have a high crown and small table, which is why you see koizibe.
DSC03785.JPG
DSC03789.JPG
DSC03814.JPG
DSC03731.JPG
DSC03752.JPG

The tiny side stones I believe are single cuts, which would be typical of settings from late 1930s/1940s.

DSC03738.JPG
DSC03753.JPG
DSC03783.JPG
DSC03796.JPG

I believe it is called an “illusion setting” with a fishtail prong look. “Illusion”means the diamonds are set into a metal frame that extends a tiny bit beyond the diamond so they look slightly bigger. I believe the prongs and illusion head are white gold because of the 14K mark.
DSC03806.JPG

@pearaffair I will see my mom in 2 or so months so I will keep it safe and give it to her then

Thank you everyone for the kind response!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is gorgeous, the diamonds are so bright and lively and clear. What a wonderful gift for your mom, I'm sure she will treasure it.

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
@reirei Yours is the first post I've ever followed. I CAN'T WAIT till you give it to your Mom!!! She's going to ADORE it! That is a GREAT eBay find (which I love). I can only imagine how much you're going to enjoy explaining different cuts of diamonds to her since she's never had one. Your intent is so sweet and sincere, I LOVE it! I hope she enjoys it in the best of health for many years to come.

reirei

Shiny_Rock
@reirei Yours is the first post I've ever followed. I CAN'T WAIT till you give it to your Mom!!! She's going to ADORE it! That is a GREAT eBay find (which I love). I can only imagine how much you're going to enjoy explaining different cuts of diamonds to her since she's never had one. Your intent is so sweet and sincere, I LOVE it! I hope she enjoys it in the best of health for many years to come.

Hi @SandyinAnaheim! This is such a sweet message - I will see her in 3 weeks and she is flying in - I can't wait!!! The 14 day quarantine post flight makes it tricky but I am definitely excited to see her reaction! Will update the thread as soon as I give it to her

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
I'm SOOOO excited for you and her! I CAN'T WAIT to see pictures!!!! :appl:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A lovely ring and an even lovelier gift, and I am certain your mum will be delighted with it.

DK :kiss2:

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
The ring looks Art Deco period 30-40. The center stone leans more towards transitional without a culet. Very nice stone, lovely facet pattern. The sides do look a bit older and OEC. Very beautiful but I love old cuts and this period and older. On top of it all you paid a great price and got great service. I think you did do excellent and the sentiment made me smile. Please do keep us posted!

reirei

Shiny_Rock
@LightBright - this is much more than I hoped for - thank you so much for your expertise on this ring!!! I learned so much from your post! <3 <3 <3

I was inspired by you to clean and take better photos of the ring in different lighting conditions outside so that I could match the pictures w/ the commentary you posted.

DSC03727.JPG
DSC03780.JPG
DSC03734.JPG
DSC03757.JPG

DSC03785.JPG
DSC03789.JPG
DSC03814.JPG
DSC03731.JPG
DSC03752.JPG

DSC03738.JPG
DSC03753.JPG
DSC03783.JPG
DSC03796.JPG

DSC03806.JPG

@pearaffair I will see my mom in 2 or so months so I will keep it safe and give it to her then

Thank you everyone for the kind response!

@SandyinAnaheim
She flew in very late Saturday night so I didn't get a chance to give it to her on Saturday since she needed to rest from the long trip.

For the next 14 days, she is quarantining herself. I decided that I didn't want to wait to gift her the present, so I called her on the phone and said that there was a special present for her in one of the coat pockets in the closet but she can't open it immediately. She has to go outside in the backyard to open it so I could see her from a distance!

So she was in the backyard and I was on the deck on the second floor.

I was giddy with excitement as she opened the wooden box and saw the ring. She said "Oh my gosh - I love it" she exclaimed :) I could see her and the sparkling of the ring even from the distance. I explained to her all the old cuts and the history of the ring.

I could tell she really loved it! She said she loved that it was three stones, and I told her about the meaning of "Past, Present, Future" in 3-stone rings.

I told her how I always wanted to get her a ring even as a kid.
She said she remembers when I was a little kid and how I said "Don't worry mom, when I grow up I'm going to buy us a big house and take care of you."
She said "I'm very proud to have raised two kids, both with so much filial piety, considerating and thinking of the parents."
I think I teared up a little bit after she said this - I can't believe she remembered my young self vows! :D

I couldn't take close up pictures of her with my camera due to the COVID-19 distancing safety measures, so I asked her to take a few on her hand.

Here's a shot from me from far away (this is the best pic I could do since it was from such a far distance)
DSC05028.JPG

Here's a few hands shots from her phone - they're blurry as she wasn't able to get to photos but I think it the ring fits her perfectly! I'm so happy she likes it!
mom ring.jpg
IMG-0593.jpeg

@SandyinAnaheim I hope you and everyone else is having a wonderful Sunday. Thank you again for the kind comments and following my story!

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results