shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me help him pick the perfect diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

colorkitty

Shiny_Rock
I finally worked up the nerve to ask my husband for a diamond ring. It''ll be our first diamond purchase. It''ll replace a colored e-ring, which will be converted into a pendant. That stone is too large for every day wear. At the time a large colored stone seemed like an ideal alternative to the diamonds we could not afford. Now that $ is no object, I''ve decided I want a .5 carat diamond set like this:

http://www.bluenile.com/product_details.asp?oid=3480&page=1&filter_id=1&col=1&row=5&pos=13&set_shape=

Or any bezel platinum setting, although I haven''t seen them other places. I know it''s not a very popular style right now, but I like it. What I like is that it almost looks like a wedding ring with a diamond set in it. I don''t want to attract too much attention because I had bad experiences with people thinking my colored ring cost as much as a car because it was big. I''m now a firm believer in small, but high quality.

My questions: I was told that no one can tell the difference between a D and a F. Is this true? I want it to look colorless to the untrained eye, but, at the same time, get the best value possible.

What are the chances a vs2 would have visible inclusions? Would it make a difference to go to a vs1? I know a lot of people have objections to bluenile''s drop-ship operations, but my husband is comfortable with their site and the B&M stores around us charge tiffany-esque prices.

A jeweler once told me that prices fluctuate by season. They are most expensive in winter through valentine''s, go down in the spring, and pick up again by September. Is there any truth to this?

Has anyone bought a diamond from bluenile? Should I be worried that I won''t get a good product because we''re buying sight unseen?

colorkitty

Shiny_Rock
I guess I should have read the FAQs first. It seems as if a VS2 is more or less garanteed not to have visible inclusions with the naked eye and that there''s no difference to the layperson between a D and a F. So it seems like a F VS2 would provide top quality without a premium.

However, I''d still be interested in personal experiences with bluenile and if there''s a best time to purchase a diamond.

Thanks.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
My e-ring diamond is from Blue Nile and I love it! Mine is also an F (but the appraiser said it was closer to an E), VS2. For me, that''s a good "sweet spot", low end of the colorless and inclusive side. However, everyone has a different opinion on what''s the best clarity/color balance for them.

Ladyoflovers

Shiny_Rock
colorkitty, i''m sort of in the same position as you are. since my bf is too busy to search for e-rings, i''ve decided to take over the quest. i''m thinking about going with a blue nile stone, too. although many people are against the idea of purchasing such an expensive item online without actually seeing it, blue nile has good reviews. the most important thing is, it is just a click away! let me know please if you purchase it before i do!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/13/2006 3:11:36 PM
Author: colorkitty
I guess I should have read the FAQs first. It seems as if a VS2 is more or less garanteed not to have visible inclusions with the naked eye and that there''s no difference to the layperson between a D and a F. So it seems like a F VS2 would provide top quality without a premium.

However, I''d still be interested in personal experiences with bluenile and if there''s a best time to purchase a diamond.

Thanks.
i''d actually bump that to g/vs2 graded by gia or ags.

the best time to buy is when you find exactly what you want and you have the funds available. other than that, appropriately priced diamonds don''t go ''on sale''.

lonebrave

Rough_Rock
Welcome to the site from a fellow site-noob. I''d highly recommend reading the Tutorial, if you haven''t already, as a first step. There is a ton of information in there!

diamondpug

Rough_Rock
use pricescope for a price comparison.
also, a diamond costs alot, so don''t be shy about asking the potential seller all your questions!

sometimes, they can even look at the diamond for you and let you know if anything is visible to the naked eye.
Pugsy

4themrs

Rough_Rock
I have Blue nile on my radar to by a ring for the mrs b-day. If I could ask, what was it that made you buy from them vs some of the other vendors that are out there?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results