shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me find the perfect "raspberry"...

L

lucky_in_love

I am looking to propose to my girlfriend. We have both been married before so she wants something different. My last name means "raspberry" and we've discussed a red stone engagement ring and she loves the idea and meaning behind it. Setting isn't important right now, but she's thinking about a 3-stone flanked by two diamonds. She's a tall woman, 5'10" and her ring size is 8. Ideally looking for a stone in the 2-3ct size range, maximum budget of 7-8K. I know NOTHING about coloured stones or diamond so I'm looking for major help here. Open to different types of red stones as long as they'd be strong enough for an engagement ring. HELP!

P.S. She prefers stones that are cushion cut.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you would be looking at pink sapphire for the color, durability and cost you want. Go through the recommended vendors listed with your fiance and look at the gems to see what "raspberry" means to her. Some people might recommend spinel but IMHO I find them a little too prone to chips for everyday wear.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think you would be looking at pink sapphire for the color, durability and cost you want. Go through the recommended vendors listed with your fiance and look at the gems to see what "raspberry" means to her. Some people might recommend spinel but IMHO I find them a little too prone to chips for everyday wear.

I agree with Lisa on spinels being too prone to chips for daily wear.

Not that sapphires will escape unscathed but would be hardier. Reddish pinks will cost more than pinks and check if you have a preference for heated/unheated which will command a premium.

Goodluck!

L

lucky_in_love

She definately doesn't want anything pink. She wants red. She also doesn't care if it's been heated/non-heated.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
She definately doesn't want anything pink. She wants red. She also doesn't care if it's been heated/non-heated.

Eh, hmmm, raspberry has pink/blue in it last time I looked.

DK :confused:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with Lisa on spinels being too prone to chips for daily wear.

Not that sapphires will escape unscathed but would be hardier. Reddish pinks will cost more than pinks and check if you have a preference for heated/unheated which will command a premium.

Goodluck!

Red stones in ware expensive, especially above 2 carats. Is she open to some red garnets?

Both spinels and corundum are prone to chips. If you can’t handle chips. then a colored stone is out of the question. I think spinel is durable enough if you’re careful with your ring, and you take it off to sleep, shower, or do any heavy work with your hands like housework or gardening. It will chip, but it won’t be noticeable without a loupe, if you’re careful.

I’ve practically worn my violet spinel every day for years. You cannot see any chips on it with the naked eye.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The color red she wants is going to be very expensive. I think Garnet might be the only option in budget, but it's softer than spinel or sapphire, and more prone to chipping.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The color red she wants is going to be very expensive. I think Garnet might be the only option in budget, but it's softer than spinel or sapphire, and more prone to chipping.
To be honest, I think garnet is very durable, despite its 7 on the mohs scale. Again, if one is careful, it shouldn’t be a big deal. Garnets tend to be very dark though, so that’s something to be aware of.

IMHO, if she’s hard on her jewelry, one should avoid colored stones altogether. However, even diamonds chip, they’re also prone to chipping. My mother chipped two huge chunks out of her diamond. The good thing about diamond is that it doesn’t scratch. Hardness and durability are not always related.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To be honest, I think garnet is very durable, despite its 7 on the mohs scale. Again, if one is careful, it shouldn’t be a big deal. Garnets tend to be very dark though, so that’s something to be aware of.

IMHO, if she’s hard on her jewelry, one should avoid colored stones altogether. However, even diamonds chip, they’re also prone to chipping. My mother chipped two huge hunks out of her diamond. The good thing about diamond is that it doesn’t scratch. Hardness and durability are not always related.
Totally fair point! But the other issue is that red Garnet won't look like a red Ruby or red spinel. It will be darker.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good thing is that you’ve already perused a reputable source like gemfix - so you know somewhat what the going retail rate is for the ideal ruby you wish.
So - for your budget.
Conservatively assuming 2k off the top for sidestones /setting-
What are you willing to compromise?
Size
Color (lighter, pinker/purple-er, dark ‘brickish’)
Cut (how much of a window /wonky pavilion can you handle)
Treatment ( moderate + residues? Not ‘glass filled/composite’ ruby)

voce

Ideal_Rock
This is a raspberry ruby. Any redder, and you would lose the raspberry connection. Maybe she just wants a ruby regardless of whether it's actually raspberry color or not.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Totally fair point! But the other issue is that red Garnet won't look like a red Ruby or red spinel. It will be darker.
True, but that Gemfix ruby she liked was like a Garnet to me, which is why I recommended Garnet. Some spinels and rubies look like garnets, in which case I rather spend the money on a garnet.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
https://jupitergem.com/gemstones/ruby/

Here’s another site for you to peruse for more on what’s out there. They have report stones and no report stones. Pictures are relatively accurate from what I experienced, but also ask for hand shots. They run periodical sales - so definitely are willing to negotiate off asking price.
I’m not sure if Gemfix negotiates, but I’ve only had inexpensive stones from them.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The red the OP likes colourwise is rubies and spinels, otherwise garnets as suggested but they often tend to be darker reds, the problem with the red the OP likes is that I doubt you will find a heat only ruby or a bright red spinel much over 2 carats that is clean in that price range and a nice cushion shape... if you are happy with a ruby that has minor flux you might find something in that price range in a nice bright red.

L

lucky_in_love

This is a raspberry ruby. Any redder, and you would lose the raspberry connection. Maybe she just wants a ruby regardless of whether it's actually raspberry color or not.

Way too pink. She said this reminds her of a Mahenge. She wants red, like the fruit (raspberry).

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oops. That’s mine. I don’t think it’s the look what the OP wants.
Not to derail the thread, but the setting for it is complete - got to de-list the stone!

It was a really well priced ruby, can't wait to see your ring!!!

voce

Ideal_Rock
Screenshot_20190714-084815.png
Way too pink. She said this reminds her of a Mahenge. She wants red, like the fruit (raspberry).
Wow, then she must see colours way different from most people. The fruit raspberry has a lot of pink in it; can she not see it? See the pictures that I posted that came up when googling for raspberry. Those are 60% tone red, which borders on pink, whereas what she likes is 80% tone red.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results