carat
color
clarity

Help me find the perfect "raspberry"...

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
13 spinel.jpg

Pic of my 12.8 ct spinel I rediscovered after years missing after moving. The pic was taken in my car in indirect light.

voce

Ideal_Rock
@lovedogs @Rfisher I think even the best vendors won't be able to supply real-performer-in-regular-lighting red garnets. I've bought red garnets from Finewater Gems and Litnon and was disappointed with both, as they were darker, more extinct-looking under sunlight than what was photographed in the studio shots, in which they looked absolutely perfect to me. I had to return the one from Finewater, and decided to keep the one from Litnon because it was 8mm and only $50. I set the Litnon red garnet, which was an Umba garnet and not the crap pyrite, but I still don't end up wearing it that much. I just don't think I am a fan of red garnet in general, even if they photograph well, because they just don't perform in person. I'd rather have a smaller, even orangey, red spinel over a large pure red garnet just so I don't have a stone that blacks out under the sun. Same thing with purple garnets. The only garnets I like/love are the pastel colored ones like green grossular (aka tsav) or spessartite.

Edit: I should remember that some spinels are overdark and look garnet-like, too. But, overall I'd sacrifice the color purity for not blacking out under the sun.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Digressing,

Never knew why are they called rasp-berry of all things; nothing 'rasp' about them.

@MJO You are holding a very large, very red, very dark berry!

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I know I used to buy the largest good color stones of almost anything I could find. I have sold off most of my collection but still have a few. Campbell Bridges bought all my 3+ ct tsavorites that were not dark. I sold them way to cheap 10 years ago at $800/ct and some were 6 to 11 cts

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is true!
But there’s many out there just like his listings.
This was more so of what I experienced as a large red family garnet, as it was mentioned as a possibility upthread.
The real-performer-in-regular-lighting -really-red-garnet is more scarce then hens teeth.
oh yeah I totally agree. Red garnet tends to go dark indoors, which is why I don't think I'd recommend it for OP, especially if he wants "true red" rather than red/orange (which can be found in spess).

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lovedogs @Rfisher I think even the best vendors won't be able to supply real-performer-in-regular-lighting red garnets. I've bought red garnets from Finewater Gems and Litnon and was disappointed with both, as they were darker, more extinct-looking under sunlight than what was photographed in the studio shots, in which they looked absolutely perfect to me. I had to return the one from Finewater, and decided to keep the one from Litnon because it was 8mm and only $50. I set the Litnon red garnet, which was an Umba garnet and not the crap pyrite, but I still don't end up wearing it that much. I just don't think I am a fan of red garnet in general, even if they photograph well, because they just don't perform in person. I'd rather have a smaller, even orangey, red spinel over a large pure red garnet just so I don't have a stone that blacks out under the sun. Same thing with purple garnets. The only garnets I like/love are the pastel colored ones like green grossular (aka tsav) or spessartite.

Edit: I should remember that some spinels are overdark and look garnet-like, too. But, overall I'd sacrifice the color purity for not blacking out under the sun.
yeah I agree. But like I said above I think OP should get a spinel rather than a garnet (though red/orange spess garnets like the ones that Mastercut has right now can be amazing and keep color in lower light, but they aren't "pure red", which is likely why they don't go as dark.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The questions is: what is the OP willing to sacrifice?

He wants it under $8K, that much is very clear.
Is mm size negotiable?
Is colour negotiable?
Is treatment negotiable?

As of this point, I don't think he has given us any idea what he is willing to compromise on. Until then, I have no idea what to look for.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@AV_ Thanks for the article! Glad to know I have some "female rubies." =)2

Reactions: AV_

voce

Ideal_Rock

AV_

Ideal_Rock

Nb. at the same address, there exists a Flame Spinel of more substantial mass - there do exist some mesmerizing tokens of the type & they are overlooked IMHO

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Darn! It didn’t show up as reserved on mobile.
Sorry!

L

lucky_in_love

The questions is: what is the OP willing to sacrifice?

He wants it under $8K, that much is very clear.
Is mm size negotiable?
Is colour negotiable?
Is treatment negotiable?

As of this point, I don't think he has given us any idea what he is willing to compromise on. Until then, I have no idea what to look for.

Size is negotiable but remember she's very tall and has a size 8 finger.
Colour is not really negotiable.
Treatment, heated is fine.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Assuming we are sticking with ruby-
I’m going to assume that you’ve already nixed the three 2+carat rubies from the gemfix site that are under 8k?

deorwine

Shiny_Rock
When you say "color is not negotiable," realize that PSers see in very very fine gradations of color, finer than you probably do.

For example, is a tiny bit of orange in the red all right? That alone will open you up to a lot more (and larger) stones than you can get by only looking at "pure" reds.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
How about a lab created gem? Maybe have a look at the coloured gem beauties thread under Fabulous Fashion Jewelry section. Lab created gems seem to be more popular these days. Not sure how hard it it is find one in the shade you’re looking for though.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Buying such things is like joining a club in a foreign country (did not work well) - or a pursuit not to be rushed.

Is there a deadline?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results