shape
carat
color
clarity

help me find some sunshine

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
Hi, All :wavey:

I have been looking at my small collection and you know what is sorely missing? Some sunshine! Each one of my gems has its own luminosity, don't get me wrong.., but there's a rather large gap where yellow should be. I could reallly use some help figuring out how to fill that spot. (insert a bit of hopeful pleading here)

I've been going over CS with yellow tones and I'm all :confused:. I would really like to find a gem that is a pretty pure yellow, (not greenish-yellow or orangish-yellow/gold or definitely not brownish-yellow! ick) Does anything come to mind that might just fit that description?

I appreciate any guidance you have to offer.

TIA ~
faegrace

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
faegrace|1307242922|2938139 said:
Hi, All :wavey:

I have been looking at my small collection and you know what is sorely missing? Some sunshine! Each one of my gems has its own luminosity, don't get me wrong.., but there's a rather large gap where yellow should be. I could reallly use some help figuring out how to fill that spot. (insert a bit of hopeful pleading here)

I've been going over CS with yellow tones and I'm all :confused:. I would really like to find a gem that is a pretty pure yellow, (not greenish-yellow or orangish-yellow/gold or definitely not brownish-yellow! ick) Does anything come to mind that might just fit that description?

I appreciate any guidance you have to offer.

TIA ~
faegrace

Pure yellow gems are almost impossible to come by. They almost always have a secondary color (orange or green), or a modifier like brown, unless you find one heavily treated (diffused yellow sapphire comes to mind).

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the words of wisdom, TL.
I guess there goes that then. :(sad

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, there's nothing wrong with greenish yellow or golden yellow, unless you don't like them. Even the sun is a golden yellow, so if you want sunshine, literally, you should look for golden yellow (an orangy yellow).

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
TL ~

I guess I was thinking canary yellow. Even daffodil would be okay. I just didn't want the orange one typically finds in citrines, for example. I have seen a couple of chrysoberyls listed that look close, but both are from vendors with whom I am not at all familiar. Each is described as having no green or brown (an impossibility, it sounds like....)

~ faegrace

Thank you again, BTW. :)

K9

Brilliant_Rock
fae - you may want to have a look at yellow beryls. Barry has some nice ones, but they are a bit on the golden side. I have had both of the rounds in hand and they were too golden for me (I was looking for a pale yellow much like a yellow diamond, or easter yellow).

Anyway, I suck at describing color, but from what you are describing, these might be worth a look!

http://www.acstones.com/productcart/pc/viewCat_h.asp?idCategory=29

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
faegrace|1307246555|2938183 said:
TL ~

I guess I was thinking canary yellow. Even daffodil would be okay. I just didn't want the orange one typically finds in citrines, for example. I have seen a couple of chrysoberyls listed that look close, but both are from vendors with whom I am not at all familiar. Each is described as having no green or brown (an impossibility, it sounds like....)

~ faegrace

Thank you again, BTW. :)

Even canary yellow is a slight orangy yellow. How about a small intense or vivid fancy yellow FCD, or a larger one if your budget can afford it?

I think it's impossible for a chrysoberyl to not have either brown or some green, at least from what I have seen. I was at a gem show recently, and one vendor had many Tanzanian neon chrysoberyls. He had a prize one that was not for sale, and he put it next to a very large, top quality yellow sapphire, cut by a very famous lapidary. The native cut chrysoberyl blew the sapphire away as far as color was concerned. I love chrysoberyls if you can find a saturated one. Most are really too brown, grey or meh, unless you're talking the new deposit in Tanzania which has shown some very neon color. Anyway, I think fine chrysoberyls can compete with the sun on any day. ;))

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
K9 ~

I am loving looking at your avatar! :cheeky:

Thank you for the lead but I'm pretty sure they're too golden for me as well. (I am returning the small purple spinel cushion to Barry this week so I definitely don't want to chance any further returns so soon. :oops: )

I am going to try to find a pic or two of the color I am hoping for (monitors be damned...!)

~ faegrace

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
k9muttlover|1307246950|2938187 said:
fae - you may want to have a look at yellow beryls. Barry has some nice ones, but they are a bit on the golden side. I have had both of the rounds in hand and they were too golden for me (I was looking for a pale yellow much like a yellow diamond, or easter yellow).

Anyway, I suck at describing color, but from what you are describing, these might be worth a look!

http://www.acstones.com/productcart/pc/viewCat_h.asp?idCategory=29

Yellow beryl tends to have a strong brown component, and some are irradiated, which is a non-detectable treatment.

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
TL ~

Where would you suggest I begin looking for a fine, saturated chrysoberyl, on the yellow side? Looking for one is very new to me.

~ faegrace

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
faegrace|1307247442|2938194 said:
TL ~

Where would you suggest I begin looking for a fine, saturated chrysoberyl, on the yellow side? Looking for one is very new to me.

~ faegrace

AJSgems has some pretty ones at reasonable pricing.

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
Thank you, TL. I'll start there, see what I come up with. :D

I'm thinking yellow diamonds are way outta my price range. And pink diamonds. And blue....

~ faegrace

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
faegrace|1307247983|2938201 said:
Thank you, TL. I'll start there, see what I come up with. :D

I'm thinking yellow diamonds are way outta my price range. And pink diamonds. And blue....

~ faegrace

I don't know what your budget is, but I think this is a good value for an FCD that really is the color of the sun.

http://www.fancydiamonds.net/view_diamonds/5044.htm

Note the "vivid" designation, and then the price, and it's almost a half carat. Not bad.

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
God, those diamonds.....
What about some Zircon ?
This one sold, but the vendor might have some more rough...?

(says the stone was heated to burn off the brown, so prob
the photo shows a bit of brown where none exists, ? )

pl_4_detail_1.png

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
Hey, I know !!!!
Maybe ask MB where THIS one came from *(I thought her picture
was so pretty that I saved it...)

Easter Gem Pics - 1.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd ask Barry anyway. If you have pictures of the yellows you like, he can tell you what he has or can get. My round yellow chryso came from him and it has the barest barely there hint of green, I know it's there, but can tell once in a blue moon, maybe. It's just yellow to me. My supernova chryso is from Michael E-I sent him pictures of the yellows I liked and he found the rough and cut it for me. It's more lemony, a bit more green than the round but, it's a bright and gorgeous stone-I see the green more often than in the round but it's not a lot, and I mostly see yellow. You could also contact Westview Gems-I got a yellow garnet from them a couple months ago that is super pale like a yellow diamond-maybe they have more rough. I've seen some pretty crayon yellow sapphires at The Natural Sapphire Company but I'm a bit unsure about them from things I've read here so I dunno. Peter Torraca has yellows and I've talked to him different times about chryso, I thought I remember him saying he had some rough but it's been a while..and I'd sent him pics of the yellows I like. They're all really super nice and I enjoy working/talking w/them..never hurts to ask you know?

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
TL ~

Those diamonds are to-die-for! :love: Out of my budget, for now.... ;))

Shiney ~

Pretty pictures too! :love: I can put some feelers out. I looked at my sparklies in their respective boxes last
night and I thought of your post on the other thread (I'm B but I wish I was A). It made me smile 'cause I am in
good company then.

Packrat ~

Thank you for the suggestions too! Barry is still looking for a "Barbie" pink for me. I think that
amuses him. I will check with all the vendors though. It can't hurt. I know Michael is cutting this week.

Thanks again, Everyone! I really appreciate it.
~ faegrace

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
May I ask why you're sending back the purple cushion?

Yellow is lacking in my collection to...I feel your pain!

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
Hi, Freke ~

I wish I had a good answer about the purple spinel. :oops: As you know, Barry's cushions are impeccable. It's a little nugget of sweetness. (It really reminded me of my daughter when I saw it on-screen.) I am just not in love with it. I know it'll get snatched right up, as it should. I am a firm believer that every gem deserves the right home. :)

~ faegrace

BTW, how are you feeling?

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
I snapped a few pictures of the little Chrysoberyl I bought from Dan Stair.
It definitely has a tinge of green, but is otherwise brightandsparkly yellow.
I like it. If this is what you might be looking for, you might get in touch with Dan....

Anyway, in my bathroom under incandescent lighting, and the last is at my windowsill.
Pardon the half-mani :sun:

I also have some other pictures of it with other stones, in another thread....

6-5-11-2 046 (Large).JPG

6-5-11-2 061 (Large).JPG

6-5-11-2 068 (Large).JPG

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Shiney-is that the one that's listed on his site that's been sold for a while? It looks very similar to my one from Barry-love it!

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
Let me check.....

WOW look at that Malaya Garnet !!!
Darn my computer is soooo slooow ... zzzzzzzzzzz

YES ! That is it !
It looks MUCH yellower in real life, I'd say...
I LOVE yours, and your setting packie :love: :love: :love:

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for the pics, Shiney. :bigsmile:

I am liking chrysoberyl more now.

~ faegrace

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
Argh, it's all about timing. :mad: I just contacted Barry about my purple cushion spinel return today and someone had already inquired about it, thus alerting him to my intent to return it before I had a chance! I always like to include tracking numbers and I couldn't get to the post until today. Double-argh!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm ok. Thanks for asking!

I'm keeping an eye on this thread...I think I could do a touch of orange, but I do love me some pure yellow!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I call shotgun on Shiney's chryso! And BN's chryso!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I think you'll be able to find something sunshine yellow. I don't think secondary colors will always take away from that. I think they can make it prettier.

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
The beryl from Barry has been on my short list for quite some time. Have to finish another project first though.

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
InnerKitten ~

Thanks for the sunshine support! :) I think it is going to be a matter of seeing yellow gems in-hand. I live in a small town, so no chance of a gem show unless I travel somewhere (insert Faegrace wistfully dreaming of escaping the unglamorous role of Domestic Goddess to attend a gem show....)

Lavatea ~

I spoke with Barry yesterday and he recommended yellow beryl as well. I'm just afraid it's too gold for me. :confused:

Talamasca ~

Jeff's chrysoberyl looks lovely. It would blow my budget sky-high though. Michael E. teasingly
asked me when was I going to get a second on my house to support my taste in gems.... Apparently,
I like museum quality peridot. :oops:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results