carat
color
clarity

Help me find/design a setting for this emerald cut please

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi all

I have this beautiful 1.14ct JVS1 emerald cut diamond with med blue fluorescence.

Other specs:

Polish Excellent
Symmetry Excellent
Fluorescence Medium blue
Table % 62%
Depth % 65.9%
Culet None
Girdle Thin to Medium
LxW Ratio 1.18
Measurements 6.52mm x 5.51mm x 3.63mm

It has lovely clipped corners and a great step pattern. I had originally planned to put it in a white gold halo which would accentuate the clipped corners and the octagonal shape like this kind of thing:

I really like the idea of playing up the outline shape and the size of the diamond with the addition of a halo.

BUT........

I don't want to set the diamond into a setting which will highlight its slight J color tint. :wall:

Considering I am used to F/G color diamonds I dont notice too much difference with this J diamond in most lights. Its a very bright stone and returns loads of white and colored light, plus the blue fluoro makes it face up nice and white in daylight but in some lights I can notice a slight off-white tint. Obviously if I set it as a solitaire this avoids the problem of other more colorless accent diamonds in the setting making it look tinted in comparison. But I want something with more presence than a solitaire. So I'm in a dilemma - to halo or not to halo?

Is there a way of haloing the diamond without playing up the creamy color of the centre diamond? Would lower color melee help? Or an airline? Or a halo without any melee (not sure what this would look like)?? I even wondered whether a dainty halo of black diamonds in black rhodium would work?

To make it even more challenging I am trying to keep the budget as possible down on the setting. :doh:

I like clean lines (no engraving and preferably no miligrain). And I'm thinking of double claws rather than bezel setting to maximise light play. Although I wouldnt rule out a bezel if it would solve the other issues :???:

Can anyone give me some setting suggestions?

_35020.jpg

17270_w_ash_tab_0.png

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Help me find/design a setting for this emerald cut pleas

Matching side stones solve your problem?

Three stone, maybe 5 stone.

Or, not matching at all with colored side stones like sapphire or ruby.

How about a yellow or rose gold halo?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I know you said ideally no bezels, but as I do think they would be g out those lovely corners, I suggest this

vramjewelry_979054231100158097_1429986115.png

vramjewelry_997896353836266374_1429986115.png

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

That's pretty although if I went for a 3 stone look I think i'd prefer bullets or tapered baguettes. But I'm not sure if that design will "big up" my centre stone the way I am hoping for.

I did wonder about a rose gold halo. But I'm worried that the rose gold will pull out more color in my J stone rather than minimise color. Im not sure if the girdle thickness and light return makes much difference with the rose gold reflecting in the stone? Or the fact that its emerald cut rather than round?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamondhoarder|1445807716|3942055 said:
That's pretty although if I went for a 3 stone look I think i'd prefer bullets or tapered baguettes. But I'm not sure if that design will "big up" my centre stone the way I am hoping for.

I did wonder about a rose gold halo. But I'm worried that the rose gold will pull out more color in my J stone rather than minimise color. Im not sure if the girdle thickness and light return makes much difference with the rose gold reflecting in the stone? Or the fact that its emerald cut rather than round?

You're stone is the size it is. I wouldn't design trying to make it look larger or smaller. I would get the design you like. if that's a halo, great, if it isn't, then try not to worry about it being to small. .

J isnt going to be yellow. And you don't have the type of cut that concentrates color. it will look different than the melee because the light return of melee looks different than a larger stone. It just does. Even if your stone wasn't a J. If you're concerned about metal color and mixing melee with a J, I would do side stones. But before making any decision can you take your stone to see what it looks like against pave?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results