shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me find a natural sapphire under 2k!

ean

Brilliant_Rock
Help me find a sapphire under 2k usd. I’m thinking of having a 3 stone made with a blue sapphire as a center stone. Hoping to atleast be 9mm long. Heat treated is fine as long as it is natural. Preferably a blue that doesn’t go dark or almost black on certain lights. Doesn’t need to be perfect, as my budget is limited. Here is an inspiration photo. This sapphire in the photo is way too dark, imo. Thank you!

ECA2DE05-5633-4C49-B3A7-1676F30F0B32.jpeg

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
With a limited budget, you will probably have better luck looking at second hand pieces. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but a 9mm sapphire, even in an oval shape, is quite substantial and probably around 3cts. Even an imperfect, low heat-treated 3+ct blue sapphire is going to cost over $2k unless A) there is high heat/beryllium treatment/fracture filling or B) you sacrifice so much on clarity and quality that the stone is no longer in a range of what most people on this forum would consider to be attractive.

silkystarlight

Rough_Rock
Just out of curiosity, is your 2k budget JUST for the sapphire you are looking for, or for your ring budget as a whole? Because if it's the former, then that miight be doable? I've been doing quite a bit of sapphire searching for myself, so I can keep an eye out for a 9mm blue stone for you!

Reactions: ean

ean

Brilliant_Rock
Just out of curiosity, is your 2k budget JUST for the sapphire you are looking for, or for your ring budget as a whole? Because if it's the former, then that miight be doable? I've been doing quite a bit of sapphire searching for myself, so I can keep an eye out for a 9mm blue stone for you!

Just for the sapphire! Thank you!

silkystarlight

Rough_Rock
Just for the sapphire! Thank you!

I should've also asked, I know you say you don't want a dark stone, but how light are you willing to go? If you could provide a photo example of the lightest color sapphire you'd tolerate, that would help me greatly. :)) also, I imagine you just want a true-to-blue as possible? (not say, blue-green or blue-purple)

ean

Brilliant_Rock
I should've also asked, I know you say you don't want a dark stone, but how light are you willing to go? If you could provide a photo example of the lightest color sapphire you'd tolerate, that would help me greatly. :)) also, I imagine you just want a true-to-blue as possible? (not say, blue-green or blue-purple)

I know this has a hint of purple, but I don’t really mind, as long as it’s a beautiful stone.

E701DCE8-C247-406D-84AF-7E6DA0A211E5.jpeg

silkystarlight

Rough_Rock
I know this has a hint of purple, but I don’t really mind, as long as it’s a beautiful stone.

E701DCE8-C247-406D-84AF-7E6DA0A211E5.jpeg

That is one pretty stone! I also quite like the hint of purple!

Okay, just with a cursory glance I've compiled a few options:

I found this lovely rectangular sapphire on Earth's Treasury. It's only 8mm but I figured it most fit the shape in your original photo that I thought it was worth sharing.

On GemFix I found a few as well!

This one would be at the tippy top of your budget, but it is 9mm!

This one is 8.7mm, so just shy of 9mm but it does kind of remind me of the blueish-purple stone pic you posted!

This one is only 8.4 but it is a nice vibrant mid-blue.

Off of Etsy, here is a batch:

These two are lighter ovals, and also 9mm

Also Etsy. These two are a smidge darker, the first is 9.2mm and the latter is 8.97

Figured this is a decent variety to start with, but there are lots of other places I can look!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t have any experience with them, but other PS’ers have been happy with stuff from Pristine Gemstones

And I want to add
your inspiration ring is right up my alley - so whomever owns that gorgeousness is one lucky lady :love:

ean

Brilliant_Rock
That is one pretty stone! I also quite like the hint of purple!

Okay, just with a cursory glance I've compiled a few options:

I found this lovely rectangular sapphire on Earth's Treasury. It's only 8mm but I figured it most fit the shape in your original photo that I thought it was worth sharing.

On GemFix I found a few as well!

This one would be at the tippy top of your budget, but it is 9mm!

This one is 8.7mm, so just shy of 9mm but it does kind of remind me of the blueish-purple stone pic you posted!

This one is only 8.4 but it is a nice vibrant mid-blue.

Off of Etsy, here is a batch:

These two are lighter ovals, and also 9mm

Also Etsy. These two are a smidge darker, the first is 9.2mm and the latter is 8.97

Figured this is a decent variety to start with, but there are lots of other places I can look!

I will check them all out. You are AMAZING!!!!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
For your budget IG is also a good bet.
The risk comes in with difficulty of returns and sometimes they only except wire transfers.
@Cerulean bought an amazing sapphire for a great price in your general ballpark (that I'm still jealous about;))) from this vendor!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
For your budget IG is also a good bet.
The risk comes in with difficulty of returns and sometimes they only except wire transfers.
@Cerulean bought an amazing sapphire for a great price in your general ballpark (that I'm still jealous about;))) from this vendor!

I suuuuure did! You flatter me @ItsMainelyYou! It was Gemoceanltd on IG - it was 2.8k, so a bit over, but fit your specs. It’s a chubby oval, 2.56carats... so just shy of 9mm at 8.5mm, and 7mm wide.

he is based in Sri Lanka so it comes with risks as @ItsMainelyYou you states...returns would be a real challenge and you should ask him about payment options. But a stone like mine would have easily been double (or more) with many stateside vendors...it’s because he sells wholesale, not direct to consumers usually. He’s also very nice! I’d see what he has...

here she is: https://www.instagram.com/p/B-mP1FLFWY_/?igshid=1k8baz4d0jk58

Last edited:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
OHHHH yum!! Thank you! You all are amazing!!!

I’ll see if he has anything else too. I’ll let you know! You prefer cushions, right?

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Okay so the one I shared was sold and was over budget - but he’s looking for others! He says he knows he has a nice royal blue stone w/ heat treatment

Last edited:

ean

Brilliant_Rock
I’ll see if he has anything else too. I’ll let you know! You prefer cushions, right?

Cushions or ovals will work. Thank you for taking your time to help me! I really appreciate it.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s just under $2k

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can point you to a windowed AF 2.5* ct pad sapphire if you’re interested.

Tbis is all I have to contribute atm lol

Oooh I would like to see it

ean

Brilliant_Rock
I know it has a window but I am weirdly attracted to this stone. But why is it so cheap??

silkystarlight

Rough_Rock
I found two more, in a cushion style on Etsy. Both are unfortunately only 8.75mm but figured they were still worth sharing.

This one is a lovely light shade, and looks pretty clear and sparkly!

This guy is a bit darker and seems almost a bit silvery in color, and is scattered with some little inclusions but I doubt they'd be visible from a distance.

This is probably all the researching I'll do for tonight... it's getting late and I have an early start tomorrow!

ean

Brilliant_Rock
I found two more, in a cushion style on Etsy. Both are unfortunately only 8.75mm but figured they were still worth sharing.

This one is a lovely light shade, and looks pretty clear and sparkly!

This guy is a bit darker and seems almost a bit silvery in color, and is scattered with some little inclusions but I doubt they'd be visible from a distance.

This is probably all the researching I'll do for tonight... it's getting late and I have an early start tomorrow!

You are an angel and a great help!I hope you have a wonderful rest of your day!

silkystarlight

Rough_Rock
I know it has a window but I am weirdly attracted to this stone. But why is it so cheap??

I'm by no means an expert, but I imagine the price reduction comes from the clear striping visible towards the middle of the stone. That and, it may just be me, but the pavilion/culet looks like it's cut a bit uneven/off-center? So if that's the case, I imagine that lends to a less-than-perfect overall cut, which would reduce the overall price.

All that being said, face-up it's a real beauty! And I'm sure once it was all set up in a ring, the stripes and unevenness of the bottom would probably be mitigated.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results