shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me find a chunky setting for my sapphire!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Are you setting the sapphire east west or north south?

I've debated that a bit, but I am thinking N/S to allow more space for the floral / leaf motif on the sides because I just adore it...it is also such a chubby oval (8.56 x 7.05mm)

I am also contemplating adding a black patina....jury is out on that too! Nothing too dramatic...

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've debated that a bit, but I am thinking N/S to allow more space for the floral / leaf motif on the sides because I just adore it...it is also such a chubby oval (8.56 x 7.05mm)

I am also contemplating adding a black patina....jury is out on that too! Nothing too dramatic...

1.5mm isn’t a huge different in change to the floral design. I’d see if he could mock up both directions for you when you do it as I have a feeling it would be quite stricking and more fluid sideways.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
1.5mm isn’t a huge different in change to the floral design. I’d see if he could mock up both directions for you when you do it as I have a feeling it would be quite stricking and more fluid sideways.

That is a great idea to see if he can do both! I do love EW styles!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful choice! It's going to be fantastic.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gah thank you! I’m so excited - even though I’m not ready to purchase immediately, David graciously offered to start CADs - so might be soliciting feedback sooner rather than later!

Yes share right away!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Eyebaaaalls ready! :shock:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Squeeeee!!!!

First CADs - it will have a lot of engraving / milgrain - so will be more delicate. I will also ask for an E/W version....it will be platinum with G color VS OEC melee

I am not terribly experienced with reading CADs - so would welcome any feedback! My first reaction is OMG I CAN'T WAIT TO HAVE IT!!!! :kiss2:

Things I asked for:
  • Low set
  • 2.5-2.8mm shank
  • Floral cutouts on the N/S sides instead of pave

DK 64608-QUAD-3.jpg

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
You know how much I love it? I want to steal this CAD!8-)
It looks beautiful to me and I'm glad that you're going at least 2.5 on the width. I'm curious to see the E/W version(partial, duh!). What engraving pattern did you choose? Are you engraving the tab prongs and cutouts?
*edit: I meant are you milgraining the tab/cutouts!

Last edited:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
You know how much I love it? I want to steal this CAD!8-)
It looks beautiful to me and I'm glad that you're going at least 2.5 on the width. I'm curious to see the E/W version(partial, duh!). What engraving pattern did you choose? Are you engraving the tab prongs and cutouts?

OMG thank you - you are welcome to steal it any ole time!!!! I am not terribly trendy and do not find thin shanks very comfortable or flattering on my hand, although I think they look positively lovely and ethereal on other hands!

I think the tab prongs themselves will be "nekkid"...I do not know any of the proper terms and all that...I will try to stay true to the original

REVISION: This is the cutout inspiration image which is a deviation from the original, and will ask him to mimic the engraving...

Screen Shot 2021-01-04 at 10.16.43 PM.png

ORIGINAL: And this is what the sides of the shank will be...a sort of wheat pattern?

Screen Shot 2021-01-04 at 10.11.33 PM (2).png

Leaves and engraving coming down the shank...

Screen Shot 2021-01-04 at 10.11.27 PM (1).png

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
OMG thank you - you are welcome to steal it any ole time!!!! I am not terribly trendy and do not find thin shanks very comfortable or flattering on my hand, although I think they look positively lovely and ethereal on other hands!

I think the tab prongs themselves will be "nekkid"...I do not know any of the proper terms and all that...I will try to stay true to the original

REVISION: This is the cutout inspiration image which is a deviation from the original, and will ask him to mimic the engraving...

ORIGINAL: And this is what the sides of the shank will be...a sort of wheat pattern?

I love it, I want it, I AM stealing it someday. I can't wait! :lol:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Squeeeee!!!!

First CADs - it will have a lot of engraving / milgrain - so will be more delicate. I will also ask for an E/W version....it will be platinum with G color VS OEC melee

I am not terribly experienced with reading CADs - so would welcome any feedback! My first reaction is OMG I CAN'T WAIT TO HAVE IT!!!! :kiss2:

Things I asked for:
  • Low set
  • 2.5-2.8mm shank
  • Floral cutouts on the N/S sides instead of pave

DK 64608-QUAD-3.jpg
My first reaction was that I wish it was east west - so I’ll put a pin in that til we get that version.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

I just find this to be timeless beauty
Im not at all into those teeny tinny skinny pave bands some have nowdays
this just looks so beautifully proportioned to me
To me this will never date and would suit a coloured stone as much as a tradional diamond

(I am influenced by my great Aunt's and grandma's ERs)

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I just find this to be timeless beauty
Im not at all into those teeny tinny skinny pave bands some have nowdays
this just looks so beautifully proportioned to me
To me this will never date and would suit a coloured stone as much as a tradional diamond

(I am influenced by my great Aunt's and grandma's ERs)

Thank you - I tend to agree! I like things that are considered "hefty" nowadays - I also want my jewelry to last and be passed down to my own grandchildren! I am very hard on jewelry and have bent thin bands badly

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you - I tend to agree! I like things that are considered "hefty" nowadays - I also want my jewelry to last and be passed down to my own grandchildren! I am very hard on jewelry and have bent thin bands badly

To be honest thin bands give me the s#its !!!

I reacon a few years from now everyone is going to be shopping for new bands/ settings

They just look out of proportion to me
My grandma's ring, that she wore every day (carefully - i mean house work was much more hard work back then) after her depression era wedding and then my mum wore it a lot after she died
When i had it checked, sized and valued the jewler said the band only showed 30% wear
That's 50 years of non stop wear by grandma, then on and off by mum for another 30
Show me one of these tenny tinny trendy sparking ring bands that can live up to that ! (Looking at you Dutchess of Sussex)

Something ive personally found is as ive got older (im not that old !) but ive found im preferring thicker bands and more finger coverage
i remember when those thick '70's bands (now they were hefty !) looked so old fashoned but now i look at them and i think - I'd wear that !

Your ring is going to be just so lovelly
I see the design as something much more than just classic

Bluemuse

Shiny_Rock
I love your inspiration setting @Cerulean and I love how the CAD design is coming along! I’m happy you’re going with what spoke to you! I think your stone is going to shine beautifully in this setting!! Can’t wait to see it all together!

rcjtraveler

Brilliant_Rock
This is going to be gorgeous. I love the engraving you are planning. The detail will be fabulous. DK’s engraving is amazing.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I turned the sapphire sideways because I couldn’t wait for the cad lol
1230A9CA-3078-416F-821F-269AF63DFF1F.jpeg

Edit for typos - Omg haha you are awesome - I do see what you mean - in my mind I envisioned N/S and find it flattering on my hand, my e ring feels so “horizontal” with the 3 stone, and I imagined I wanted something different - but I think with this design, I do appreciate the recommendation...hrmmmmm, I need to mull on it! I will also absolutely come back with the E/W version! DK said he will get back to me soon!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I love your inspiration setting @Cerulean and I love how the CAD design is coming along! I’m happy you’re going with what spoke to you! I think your stone is going to shine beautifully in this setting!! Can’t wait to see it all together!

Thank you so much! There are just so many gorgeous designs out there - it was so hard to pick! But I will have to save them for another project :)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Edit for typos - Omg haha you are awesome - I do see what you mean - in my mind I envisioned N/S and find it flattering on my hand, my e ring feels so “horizontal” with the 3 stone, and I imagined I wanted something different - but I think with this design, I do appreciate the recommendation...hrmmmmm, I need to mull on it! I will also absolutely come back with the E/W version! DK said he will get back to me soon!

Few things I will say about the e/w version - and obvi my shitty shoop is no excuse for the real thing - is by turning it sideways I think it makes the stone looks exact Goldilocks size for the setting where turning it n/s makes me feel like the stone could be bigger.
And then also I drew a picture that I think illustrates what I mean by fluidity
321AC815-70B5-459B-A5C7-746881908441.jpeg

Bluemuse

Shiny_Rock
Thank you so much! There are just so many gorgeous designs out there - it was so hard to pick! But I will have to save them for another project :)

For sure! Just wanted to add that I think I prefer the NS orientation for your stone. I chose the EW orientation for one of my sapphires (1.76 ct if I recall correctly) and sometimes wonder if a NS would have been a better choice for that particular stone. I think NS can give a bigger presence on the hand and as you said probably allow the pretty leaf details to be better seen. I’m sure it’ll become more clear what will work best for you.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Few things I will say about the e/w version - and obvi my shitty shoop is no excuse for the real thing - is by turning it sideways I think it makes the stone looks exact Goldilocks size for the setting where turning it n/s makes me feel like the stone could be bigger.
And then also I drew a picture that I think illustrates what I mean by fluidity
321AC815-70B5-459B-A5C7-746881908441.jpeg

I totally think you are right. My artist eyes see that compositionally, the EW orientation feels “right” and is balanced extremely well. I do think both are pretty, but understand what you mean about the size of the stone.

The conflict is an image in my head I became attached to (NS as I think it’s more flattering on my hand??) I also plan to eventually stack the ring, but it will be standalone for a while as this is my big project for 2021!

I did these horrendous tin foil things to mimic how it would looks months ago to orient both ways on my hand...(it was obnoxiously awkward to do) - wonder what y’all think?

1610158297624.jpeg
(This is an EW stone that isn’t far off in size)

07E83AA6-C00C-47D3-B410-6DFE4750BF08.jpeg

And then the stone set NS currently...something about it feels more “elegant” to me with this particular stone or gives more oomph / finger coverage as @Bluemuse suggested (for me, this is also large CS, but I have large hands!)
8F4E613D-0C03-4E35-A105-E4B3ED5C1D8B.jpeg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I might argue it would be easier to stack e/w than n/s because it would cause less of a gap between the bands.

I think any orientation would be pretty in your hands but I can completely understand if you’re mind is set on one.

To be clear - either will be beautiful !! I’m pointing out what I think will be most aesthetically pleasing, generally. I’m not taking into account the emotional component of it and I would completely understand if you wanted n/s.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have said this before but I think it’s useful.
I have in the past come to this forum and asked an opinion and when someone gives me an opinion and when I am given it I don’t want to hear it! Basically- I get defensive of one opinion and that brings clarity.

Bluemuse

Shiny_Rock
That’s a tough one @Cerulean !
Both orientations work well with your stone, it’s hard to decide. I think I know what you mean about NS feeling more elegant, EW feeling a little more “casual” for lack of a better word. Both can be elegant of course, they just have a distinctly different feel.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
@Niel i do really appreciate your input, youve been very gracious and I think it’s been very helpful - also love the little mock-up you did - I do think EW would definitely be easier to stack and it even looks more like a band. I am still undecided so honestly it’s not a bad thing I still need a little more time to save to mull over it!

And you are exactly right with your second comment. it’s funny sometimes you don’t know how you feel about something until you solicit input, and you realize - wow - I cared more about “x” than I thought I did!

and yes @Bluemuse exactly the way I’d describe it - I do like both for different reasons - I guess it’s a fun dilemma to have

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I might argue it would be easier to stack e/w than n/s because it would cause less of a gap between the bands.

I think any orientation would be pretty in your hands but I can completely understand if you’re mind is set on one.

To be clear - either will be beautiful !! I’m pointing out what I think will be most aesthetically pleasing, generally. I’m not taking into account the emotional component of it and I would completely understand if you wanted n/s.
Your *face palm*

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results