Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me find a chunky setting for my sapphire!

ItsMainelyYou

Brilliant_Rock
Well sh*t, I'm torn now!
I love both iterations. Which orientation is singing to you?
I think, I think, I may actually favor N/S?!
I can't wait for it to be done, so I can see what my future ring will look like...:Up_to_something:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I seem to like the flow of the cutout gallery area merging in to the lines of the shank from the narrower tab prong on the n/s version better than how it looks on the e/w version, coming from that wider tab prong. (Or is it that the cutouts themselves may need to be bigger, in the bigger area that was created by rotating the sapphire?)
But I seem to like the top down look of the e/w setting better.
Do you think the partial bezel is enough different from the full bezel to let more light in the way you wish?

Bluemuse

Shiny_Rock
Wow! Not an easy choice! I like things about both and either will be beautiful.
The NS wins out by a narrow margin for me. Can’t wait to see the finished ring!

Cerulean

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you @ItsMainelyYou, @Rfisher and @Bluemuse for your feedback!

I love both - I also think NS is winning by a small margin for me.

@Rfisher now that I am seeing it - I wonder if it’s letting in enough light...I think it will be better than the current setting (which lets in none) and I love the cutout detail...but I wonder if the original design would let in a bit more? I just don’t want pave on the sides because I thought it might scrape against bands...I’m not sure how else to let more light in - I only find bezels / semi bezels all that comfortable to wear

64EFFB94-9061-470B-A08B-4E81443092C5.png

Edit -maybe I could ask him to cut a little more out?

EBEC2EA6-1CDD-4235-B81E-4E103AC1CC49.jpeg

Last edited:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree cut down the prongs on the east west and it will look markedly better. I’d say the same for the north south.

I prefer east west. Stone looks bigger setting looks more fluid and the floral design is not changed by the extra mm if size.

But this ain’t my ring! ;-)

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Ohh, it looks gorgeous. My initial reaction is that EW looks chunkier and NS looks more refined. Obviously I'm biased...but I would defo explore removing more of the bezel but with the disclaimer that you need to be more careful when placing the ring on a hard surface.

I hope these are helpful. The zircon is 10x8ish (a bit wonky). The band is 2mm off the finger and 4mm wide.

IMG_20210112_091103991.jpg

Attachments

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t have anything to add design wise, but this ring is going to be stunning! That blue! Holy cow!

Cerulean

Brilliant_Rock
Ohh, it looks gorgeous. My initial reaction is that EW looks chunkier and NS looks more refined. Obviously I'm biased...but I would defo explore removing more of the bezel but with the disclaimer that you need to be more careful when placing the ring on a hard surface.

I hope these are helpful. The zircon is 10x8ish (a bit wonky). The band is 2mm off the finger and 4mm wide.

IMG_20210112_091103991.jpg

Beautiful ring - I just adore it!!! I have a semi bezel 3 stone ring so was looking at slightly different versions of “semi bezels” so they didn’t seem too similar - thanks for sharing yours

Cerulean

Brilliant_Rock
I think I am sticking to the N/S version - but David made the cutouts bigger on the E/W version and I think that will make a big difference letting more light in

DK 64608-QUAD-5.jpg

Cerulean

Brilliant_Rock
Ok so - I knew that if I didn't get to see two orientations in person, that it would always gnaw at me - woulda coulda shoulda...

So, DK, in his infinite grace - made a wax of each.

Now that I have seen them in person, I know that my heart is with the N/S orientation and I think it flatters my hand more as I suspected it would.

For those who are curious....here they are (forgive my dry as a bone, ruddy hands....cold weather does a number on my skin)

IMG-5105.jpg

IMG-5111.jpg

IMG-5114.jpg

IMG-5115.jpg

IMG-5116.jpg

Cerulean

Brilliant_Rock
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Our Favorite Jewels from the 2021 Golden Globes
    Our Favorite Jewels from the 2021 Golden Globes
    Paris Hilton is Engaged
    Paris Hilton is Engaged
    Diamonds and Jewelry - Recommended Reads, Part 2
    Diamonds and Jewelry - Recommended Reads, Part 2

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.