shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me find a baby Jedi Spinel

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are totally amazing thank you so much and I 100% agree on waiting for one you love. I am just a little hopeless with wanting everything now now now.

They said they can do a deal if I set it there. I am waiting to hear back. They are a 20 min drive from me too. They asked me to pop in but I am scared what I will do in there

Omg I would love to visit them, you are so lucky!!! But I would be unable to stop myself if I saw these beauties in person :)

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
Will take lots of video and pics

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
Ok so I am back with some other options kindly sent to me by another vendor just to make it even harder Lol but would love thoughts I am going to take a look today side by side on my big screen but any thoughts on comparison to the one I love above and these would be great these are a little more affordable but I am no longer letting that rule my decision as @lovedogs reminded me better to wait and get the one I love

It’s hard for me to tell because the one from yesterday I think is taken in different lighting to these below. It still looks better to me but it could just be the lighting? Maybe someone could shed some light? (Pun intended)

Stone 1 is .8

Stone 2 is .75

Stone 3 is .9

Stone 4 is .72

Apparently they all have awesome fluorescence seen here

Last edited:

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
My untrained eye they look more pink and the one @lovedogs has that red hue I love. The first one seems perhaps the closest to a red shade

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My untrained eye they look more pink and the one @lovedogs has that red hue I love. The first one seems perhaps the closest to a red shade

I agree. They are really nice, but more of an electric pink vs a jedi red/pink

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
Ah sadly as is my way I am going to buy the most expensive :lol::lol:

I hope it looks as lovely in person.

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
That stone from Mays is a keeper color-wise. The only thing left is to see how extensive the inclusions are.
If you can make a deal with them, I would. Offer 850-900 ish for the stone alone and have it set by them for a couple hundred in a simple setting. Go from there. It's a good place to start negotiating. You won't know until you try. The worst they can say is no.
*Remember the smaller stones are more readily available. So, if this one gets away or is too much for right now, don't sweat it, there will be others.

Thank you @ItsMainelyYou I only just saw your message at the bottom of the last page. Appreciate the advice I am a useless negotiator!

I am trying to work out how to set it as well although I think it needs to come home for awhile for me to save up to set it.

AndrewAWoody

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone.

Thought it best to start my own thread after so rudely hijacking @GossamerAngel thread.

I have been reading all the threads on these neon red/pink "Jedi" spinels and reading Yavorskyys description of them and now I must have one for my own.

I seem to fall in love with the pinkish and reddish ones in turn but ideally

- .5-1 CT (I really can't afford the larger ones happier with closer to .5 as long as the colour is top notch
- Quality of cut is more important than shape. Just no pears. I love cushions and ovals and @voce mentioned that she sees mostly cushions in that red colour I so love so that is a bonus

I don't really have a budget exactly. I was hoping to keep to $400-$500 USD but my heart may over rule by bank account.

I have a few contenders here. Still don't seem to have that really gorgeous super intense red I have seen. I do love the pink ones but seem to be holding off pulling the trigger as that really intense red has me in its clutches.

Below are the ones I am considering. I will try to find an image of one I just love but can't afford for comparison.

Thanks so much for everyones input I really appreciate it.

IMG_9258.jpg IMG_9254.jpg IMG_9255.jpg IMG_9256.jpg IMG_9257.jpg IMG_9253.PNG

I have been looking at Spinels on Ebay. I search GIA Spinel and have found 2 well priced ones I believe to be legit. Most of his "spinels are to cheap and don't have GIA papers but he has 2 in the price range of around $600 to $00 that are both over 1 carat with papers. I think he likely bought these from someone who had them tested so they are real but as for the rest of is stones I doubt it.

AndrewAWoody

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone.

Thought it best to start my own thread after so rudely hijacking @GossamerAngel thread.

I have been reading all the threads on these neon red/pink "Jedi" spinels and reading Yavorskyys description of them and now I must have one for my own.

I seem to fall in love with the pinkish and reddish ones in turn but ideally

- .5-1 CT (I really can't afford the larger ones happier with closer to .5 as long as the colour is top notch
- Quality of cut is more important than shape. Just no pears. I love cushions and ovals and @voce mentioned that she sees mostly cushions in that red colour I so love so that is a bonus

I don't really have a budget exactly. I was hoping to keep to $400-$500 USD but my heart may over rule by bank account.

I have a few contenders here. Still don't seem to have that really gorgeous super intense red I have seen. I do love the pink ones but seem to be holding off pulling the trigger as that really intense red has me in its clutches.

Below are the ones I am considering. I will try to find an image of one I just love but can't afford for comparison.

Thanks so much for everyones input I really appreciate it.

IMG_9258.jpg IMG_9254.jpg IMG_9255.jpg IMG_9256.jpg IMG_9257.jpg IMG_9253.PNG

Here is the one that is left and it looks like a great deal with the papaers. https://www.ebay.com/itm/GIA-Certif...923466?hash=item3fdf28a8ca:g:~EYAAOSwt95d2TTd

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Thank you @ItsMainelyYou I only just saw your message at the bottom of the last page. Appreciate the advice I am a useless negotiator!

I am trying to work out how to set it as well although I think it needs to come home for awhile for me to save up to set it.

I would still offer 850.00 for the Mays stone. The really crazy expensive pricing should begin after you hit the carat mark- which are more scarce. Finding what you want on a budget means being willing to walk away, as hard as that is. Or, make your peace and pay what they ask with a light heart if it sings to you- it's truly up to you and there's no wrong way to go about this. Do what brings you happiness. But it's important to remember to keep in the back of your mind-there will be others.
Finding a relative deal is an exercise in patience.
*as an aside the .8 from your second batch is also a nice border pink that may go more red in the sun. The fluorescence in varying natural light conditions of any of these spinels is what you want to see. If they want to call it jedi instead of neon- it has to perform like a jedi.
You will find the one that makes you squee, and soon.;))

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
@ItsMainelyYou you are absolutely right of course. I have been saving for a couple
Of projects this is one but I would hate to regret the size/colour of the stone or feeling like I spent too much. I am not expecting a bargain or anything just a fair price.

I am planning to head there on Wednesday not entirely sure if it’s a great idea as I have zero will power. It might be best to let it go and keep saving but it is a gorgeous colour

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Bah! It's a fine idea.
You most certainly should go in there expecting a bargain if you can get it! Make it fun, don't be nervous about asking. It is a gorgeous color and if they let it go for a good price, then great. They're in the business of making money and you're offering. Roll a bunch of rocks around in your hands in the light and get eyeballs on them. Best education there is. If they hardball and won't budge, well, bow out gracefully ;)) Listen to your gut, filter out any outside influence. It will tell you to jump, or no. No harm, no foul, no pressure.
This should be a positive experience and you'll learn about what negotiating styles work for you. Who knows? You may just come home with a glowy little nugget or more knowledge about glowy little nuggets/possible future source for when the time is right.
Have fun with it.
Tell us all about your adventures when you get back:))

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
Hi @ItsMainelyYou thanks again so much I will be sure to pop back in with an update

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
I did a little naughty. I bought a stone from an OS vendor. I am still going to see the one at Mays tomorrow but I also loved the colour of this one and it was an excellent price. It is 0.76 it is native cut and does a few visible inclusions and tiny cavity but I loved it anyway. It takes the pressure off the visit tomorrow as well. This one I may love enough to set in a ring or save and make a pendant and lay-by the one at Mays.

DauphineMucha

Shiny_Rock
I did a little naughty. I bought a stone from an OS vendor. I am still going to see the one at Mays tomorrow but I also loved the colour of this one and it was an excellent price. It is 0.76 it is native cut and does a few visible inclusions and tiny cavity but I loved it anyway. It takes the pressure off the visit tomorrow as well. This one I may love enough to set in a ring or save and make a pendant and lay-by the one at Mays.

Can’t wait! Have fun tomorrow and looking forward to seeing your pictures!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Its bright and lovely!!! Who was the vendor if I can ask?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of course it was Gilyuda he has an etsy store https://www.etsy.com/au/shop/ancientkingdom?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=746312491

The price was so good I couldn't go past it but I am still going to look at the one that captured my heart tomorrow they are open to lay-by as well.

Ooooh yes I often see his stuff and like it a lot. His prices are amazing, and even though the stones are often flawed (e.g. inclusions), thsy never bother me bc I am all about color. Great find!

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
Me tooooo I don't mind an inclusion actually its one of the things I love about Emeralds. They bother me in diamonds but not coloured stones to me its just proof that they are genuine and have their own little story.

He was super lovely and helpful I could have bought more of his things but I am still eyeing off that one tomorrow which I think will be a class above this one but the colour was divine. He had another one whose colour I loved even more but he said it had a fracture and was fragile so I passed on it.

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
So exciting heading off to the store soon I watched a youtube by Cor gems on what defines a “Jedi” spinel.

They apparently have a lab in Switzerland that will identify the stone as Jedi on a report not sure how genuine it is (GFCO is the lab)

I looked at some of their “Jedi” stones on Etsy but none seem to hold a candle to the one I have fallen in love with.

What do people think of their video is that what I should be looking for?

The Yavorskyy video seems closer to the colour to me

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So exciting heading off to the store soon I watched a youtube by Cor gems on what defines a “Jedi” spinel.

They apparently have a lab in Switzerland that will identify the stone as Jedi on a report not sure how genuine it is (GFCO is the lab)

I looked at some of their “Jedi” stones on Etsy but none seem to hold a candle to the one I have fallen in love with.

What do people think of their video is that what I should be looking for?

The Yavorskyy video seems closer to the colour to me

No reputable lab that I know of uses the term "jedi ". Yvvorskyy is trustworthy so I would go with what they say about jedi spinel over almost anyone else

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
Ok I bought it. Along with another spinel took heaps of video and pics of their stones will share when I am home. Is it best to keep in this thread or start a new one ?

Thanks @lovedogs 100% I just couldn’t believe that video was the first one that comes up on you tube I just needed reassurance I was looking for the right things

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock

It's not a naughty if you get a good deal. (I think that's an old New England proverb- or, it is now :lol: )
I beg you to take pictures, I can't get to any stones in person as I'm still quarantining where I am and I BEG YOU TO TAKE PICTURES!
Great I miss a day, and you bought the stone from May's! Can't wait for pics.

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
Hi there

So at the risk of spamming everyone. This will be pic heavy.

I went to Mays Exotic Gems and Jewellery in Melbourne. They honestly could not have been nicer they were extremely helpful and although my budget was small I was made to feel like my purchase was important and to take all the time in the world.

I did look at some smaller and less amazing gems but the stone had captured my heart. I was given a more than fair price and I actually ended up getting a grey spinel as well.

Please ask me any questions at all about Mays. I know the USD is tracking nicely against the AUD which is great for most of you not so great for me

Here is a short video I put together of my stones plus some others. I have more pics but dont want to overload it.

https://youtu.be/dkq8xTyrbIk

Ok so these are the instagram pics of my stone

A4F293D5-493F-4B11-8C07-0C0AA3EEBCCD.jpeg
18357EA1-A520-491C-B97B-6CEAA597F210_1_201_a.jpeg

In store

80C79914-9D93-4466-A0D1-781DC7C68D61_1_201_a.jpeg

Under UV Light

62A7B0AF-A9CD-4EAA-A892-C6D6EC17E220_1_201_a.jpeg
DC7275AC-D61E-4EA4-94CE-BE9DFDD0AAAC_1_201_a.jpeg

In a temp setting (way too big)

D3306D1E-66F3-4B90-B9AF-577BDE8C733A_1_201_a.jpeg
66162C02-011F-4172-B0C0-C58BDE0536B1_1_201_a.jpeg
11B8719B-57C3-41E2-9F1D-E993C288120F_1_201_a.jpeg
BF9FF68D-F7BF-4082-9246-2D177420D0DD_1_201_a.jpeg

On a tray next to a couple of other examples

18031D23-158D-42A1-B8D1-7BE38427508E_1_201_a.jpeg
480916E6-47D7-4A94-B0D7-C655F6C50BA6_1_201_a.jpeg
5582FC26-2FFD-4A39-BA95-0E7A5D1A60C3_1_201_a.jpeg

At home on my bench

7780ED51-35F1-45BC-B0FE-D823656BA5C9.jpeg

Also some metallic grey spinels I had to have it as well

EE3372CD-8BF6-48D0-BD3A-4145D310365D_1_201_a.jpeg
04918095-5039-4851-AFC9-ACA8306F0508_1_201_a.jpeg

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
Oh a couple more for some reason didn’t show up on my photo roll on my computer

Someone else's stone being set into an engagement ring

A0F2E96B-0AC4-4824-9B48-6C9EFA4705ED.jpeg

The grey spinel I also just had to have

7822D87F-FF10-43BA-A611-81CBDFCD2D3C.jpeg

My babies side by side

F4AFE11C-3801-4D13-90A9-C5BA9E8A3957.jpeg

Examples of Jedi Crystal

1FC246B7-BF86-4440-91E3-89470E44A689.jpeg
E2214D92-118A-42D9-8067-23D11A9A8FFF.jpeg
On my hand

11A98C6C-A62B-4C04-81E2-64A492BE414A.jpeg
355A6B2B-6EF0-4C80-BE24-E40C0848CC15.jpeg 642B5E82-2EF9-4C12-84F1-AF6E91C3C935.jpeg

At home in semi-cloudy light through a window

6F795C1B-AED4-4562-900C-E1EC7E8F4116.jpeg 56AC51A8-C3B1-415B-9326-C097FEA2B8FA.jpeg 975348B8-5E8C-4E40-87EB-3B9651DED4C6.jpeg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Pennyc those pics are SO AMAZING! Hooray! The .7 is incredible on you--love it!

And those jedi crystals are incredible as well. yum yum!

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks @lovedogs could not have done it without your help.

My hands are pretty iso dry and awful at the moment. Now how to set (and save for the setting lol)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results