carat
color
clarity

Help me find a 8mm colored stone

oodlesofpoodles

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi all,
I am looking for a natural (heat treated ok) stone to go into a semi mount I already own that I plan to list for the upcoming Christmas holidays. I have a nice vintage mount that just sits too high for me. The setting is circa 1960s or so and resembles a sunflower. It is really pretty with high quality diamonds. The dream would be a yellow sapphire but I'm having a hard time finding one. I also think blue sapphire would be a good seller as well as a ruby but thought maybe a moonstone or opal cabochon would also look good and be popular. I don't want to sink too much in since I plan to sell it and I will have to get the shank redone at the same time since it was a expandable kind that had a piece break off. I ideally want to be all in with the rehab at 750 or less. I am going blurry eyed trying to find what I am looking for - please let me know if you run across anything you think might work well. I will upload a picture so you can see what the mount looks like. Previous stone was 8.2x7.8 and was used for another project.
Thanks!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty setting! :kiss2:

Have you tried Multicolour and use their calibrated size filter and see what comes up?

DK :))

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also bear in mind that some gemstones can be cut very deep, e.g. Zircons, therefore, it is advisable to check the depth of the setting first before buying a CS to fit into it.

DK :))

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

oodlesofpoodles

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thanks so much DK - I had not heard of this site before - I will check it out today. The depth of the previous stone was shy of 5mm and the total weight was 1.80 carat.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know why but that screams Peridot to me

Attachments

• peridot.jpg
    peridot.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 27

oodlesofpoodles

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I think it would look good with anything in there really - I’m just trying to figure out what would be most popular to the most people so I was leaning towards sapphire (blue or yellow) or ruby and I would prefer natural with heat. I have a 8 OECmm moissanite I am hoarding that I want to keep for myself but it fits so perfectly in the setting that if I don’t find something soon this is probably what will go in there. I dropped a pearl earring in the center just for fun and that looked great too. Here are pics of the moissanite and the pearl dropped in. I have a inquiry in for a ruby right now that fits the budget but it’s just a hair larger than the ideal at 8.5mm. Also found a moonstone Cabochon that would work. Maybe I need to start a poll. EC7BE3D8-7CEC-4DE0-942E-719B16104988.jpeg 99B6980B-9AE0-46B4-A0CF-304614C67B60.jpeg

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why not just sell the mounting and let whomever wants it choose the stone?

oodlesofpoodles

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Why not just sell the mounting and let whomever wants it choose the stone?

I could maybe get a few hundred for the semi mount esp with the shank needing redone, and it might sit around not selling far after the holidays are over. I think it would go for a lot more as a completed ring with a gemstone on ebay with a no reserve auction. Most people prefer to buy completed rings rather than a project, not PS folks of course but the general public. More bling money for me if I can make a little - or I might lose money but I have fun with a project either way. It really is a pretty ring so I don't want to scrap it, I think someone would love it.

oodlesofpoodles

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I think I found it! In budget too! My daughter helped me cut and paste the sapphire into the ring. What do you guys think? The danger now of course is that I like it so much I keep it! :evil2:I’m going to not size it to my finger to keep myself from hoarding:D 77CDDEB2-4E5E-4F65-910F-27B3218F3058.png

oodlesofpoodles

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I think I found it! In budget too! My daughter helped me cut and paste the sapphire into the ring. What do you guys think? The angle is slightly off but I think this gives a good idea for the color. The danger now of course is that I like it so much I keep it! :evil2:I’m going to not size it to my finger to keep myself from hoarding:D 77CDDEB2-4E5E-4F65-910F-27B3218F3058.png

Beautiful-disaster

Shiny_Rock
I came across a beautiful yellow sapphire today - cut straight from a mine here in Australia. Not sure if it’s the right dimensions but was a fantastic price.
I will see if I can link it here for you.
Ugh. - can’t work it out I think you have to be in the group on FB
But it’s $300 Australian dollars which is super cheap.
This is a great group of people selling straight from the sapphire mines over here.
FD44F34F-0420-470C-9B6D-9859C2FAA865.png 6725BEBD-401A-432C-9F90-634C79560E11.png

oodlesofpoodles

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I came across a beautiful yellow sapphire today - cut straight from a mine here in Australia. Not sure if it’s the right dimensions but was a fantastic price.
I will see if I can link it here for you.
Ugh. - can’t work it out I think you have to be in the group on FB
But it’s $300 Australian dollars which is super cheap.
This is a great group of people selling straight from the sapphire mines over here.
FD44F34F-0420-470C-9B6D-9859C2FAA865.png 6725BEBD-401A-432C-9F90-634C79560E11.png

The listing came thru with the photo and that is a stunning yellow sapphire at a fab price and no heat! I would have needed a 1.8 - 2 carat 8mm to fit my existing setting. Thank you so much for thinking of me. If this was the right size I would be trying to make this happen.

oodlesofpoodles

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I think I found one that will work above - its looks strange because the angle was off on my photoshop job but I think the color is nice.

DauphineMucha

Shiny_Rock
Late to your party but this...:love:

1601338109696.jpeg

Good contrast to highlight the diamonds and pearl! IMO. Good luck and happy selling.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really love the pearl. The yellow sapphire is pretty too and it looks like the Sun.

oodlesofpoodles

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I really love the pearl. The yellow sapphire is pretty too and it looks like the Sun.

Meee too! But I also love it with the yellow - it was my first thought for a center stone :dance:and I need something yellow in my personal collection - but I have learned from my emerald that if I'm afraid of knocking a ring I just won't wear it so I am better off finding a low set ring for myself. Going to look fabulous. I'm excited - I'll share pictures when she's done

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
What about a spessartite garnet? I nice yellowy orange or fanta.

oodlesofpoodles

Shiny_Rock
Trade
What about a spessartite garnet? I nice yellowy orange or fanta.
That would look great -
I have seen a few of those and they are well priced and they do look nice but I don’t know how many people know about those. So I don’t know if it would be highly searched for on eBay. I could be wrong but I think after a diamond most people would look for emerald, sapphire, and ruby, and their birthstone for right hand rings. Although I like to look at everything it’s just so vast I don’t want the ring to be overlooked. I would never have thought I would be so indecisive about picking a stone - I normally have no trouble. But I really think everything looks great in this setting.

Beautiful-disaster

Shiny_Rock
Thanks @Beautiful-disaster heading there now

Good luck!
I’m hopeless - I looked at your photos and went oohhh the yellow sapphire definitely.... then wait oh no the Ruby for sure.... oh wait look at the blue sapphire!!!! Thankgoodness it’s not my decision!

johnbaldwin

Rough_Rock
Trade
It is difficult but not impossible. I think at the moment there is a global shortage. Good luck with your journey.

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
That would look great -
I have seen a few of those and they are well priced and they do look nice but I don’t know how many people know about those. So I don’t know if it would be highly searched for on eBay. I could be wrong but I think after a diamond most people would look for emerald, sapphire, and ruby, and their birthstone for right hand rings. Although I like to look at everything it’s just so vast I don’t want the ring to be overlooked. I would never have thought I would be so indecisive about picking a stone - I normally have no trouble. But I really think everything looks great in this setting.

Mandarin Garnets were very big about 10 years ago after there were 2 large deposits of large clean stones were found. The best colors are absolutely gorgeous. They glow in the dark. I had a 13 carat round that you could see across the room in dim lighting.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results