shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me figure out what type of pearls these are?

ittypea

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone! I've been a silent follower on PS for some time now. I've never been hugely into pearls until now, recently my husband surprised me with a visit to Mikimoto for our first anniversary. I own a pearl necklace from my college days so now that I know that the sky is the limit for pearls $_$.... I'm really curious to see what my old ones are? If you can tell me the ball park type (freshwater or not)/quality or even how much they may be valued at, I'd love to know. My house was robbed in 2020, so I'm thinking about insuring some of the jewelry, but if these studs and the necklace aren't worth the $$ I don't want to send it in for an appraisal/insurance, if that makes sense. Thanks in advance and I'm excited to become a "pearl girl"!

The studs are supposed to be akoya with pink tone, I think they are around 5mm but I could be wrong. I bought them on a whim to match a necklace i had but lost the necklace form the robbery. I think I paid around $110 for the studs. The rest of the pictures are the necklace. In case it's not obvious, in person these pearls are obviously not perfectly round, I can see a lot of growth marks and pitting, as well as some scratches (I wore them pretty hard some years ago). The clasp says 14KP, I believe it's just 14k gold plated.

IMG_7260.jpg IMG_7261.jpg IMG_7262.jpg

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The necklace is freshwater and not worth appraising or insuring. The pearls are solid nacre. Value under $100, I'd say.
The studs look like akoyas-- nice but not worth insuring.
Both are worth enjoying!

ittypea

Rough_Rock
The necklace is freshwater and not worth appraising or insuring. The pearls are solid nacre. Value under $100, I'd say.
The studs look like akoyas-- nice but not worth insuring.
Both are worth enjoying!

Thanks so much! I guessed that the necklace would be freshwater, thanks for confirming.
It'll be nice when I gift it to my future children to know what they are too :razz:

Yes, absolutely, I enjoy both very much! I wore the necklace my wedding day, it'll always be super special to me regardless of the value. :)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Enjoy them!!

BTW the P in that KP mark means plumb, not plated. It should be solid 14k gold :))

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
im sorry you lost the first strand in a robbery
the new ones look nice wearable enjoyable pearls

you can buy really nice pearls for much less than good diamonds

when you come to buy another necklace (everyone needs multible pearl necklases) you will get excellent guidance here, no matter what price point

just remember for their health and longevity pearls like to be worn, as opposed to being hidden away in a dry safe

ittypea

Rough_Rock
Enjoy them!!

BTW the P in that KP mark means plumb, not plated. It should be solid 14k gold :))

Oh what?! Never knew that. That's a pleasant surprise :bigsmile:Either way I'll keep loving that necklace!

im sorry you lost the first strand in a robbery
the new ones look nice wearable enjoyable pearls

you can buy really nice pearls for much less than good diamonds

when you come to buy another necklace (everyone needs multible pearl necklases) you will get excellent guidance here, no matter what price point

just remember for their health and longevity pearls like to be worn, as opposed to being hidden away in a dry safe

My husband just bought me a new strand last week! Anxiously waiting for them to arrive since we had to get them shortened. Can't wait to receive them!! He surprised me the day of our anniversary, so I had zero preparation or knowledge when we went shopping 8) but I've been looking through posts here the last few days and learning a ton and getting inspired [tempted] :bigsmile:

That's really good to know. I've always thought pearls are kind of fragile and tend to steer away because I thought wearing them often would "wear them out". is there a pearl care guide on PS?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh what?! Never knew that. That's a pleasant surprise :bigsmile:Either way I'll keep loving that necklace!

My husband just bought me a new strand last week! Anxiously waiting for them to arrive since we had to get them shortened. Can't wait to receive them!! He surprised me the day of our anniversary, so I had zero preparation or knowledge when we went shopping 8) but I've been looking through posts here the last few days and learning a ton and getting inspired [tempted] :bigsmile:

That's really good to know. I've always thought pearls are kind of fragile and tend to steer away because I thought wearing them often would "wear them out". is there a pearl care guide on PS?

That's so excitting i can't wait for you to get them ...and show us !
We have really knowledgeable pearl people here on PS
Not sure about a pearl users quide as such as there is just so much knowledge sheared in almost every thread so just ask away

If its raining i wear my pearls - it makes something nice out of a rainy day
pearls will need to be strung maybe once a year depending on how often you wear them and yes wet can stretch the cord but i get so inspired by @MakingTheGrade reconfiguring her pearl creations i just expect restringing is a part of pearl ownership
but yes the actual pearl is delicate compaired to other gemstones which is why a necklase is knotted so the pearls dont damage each other
but don't be afraid of wearing your pearls (unless its a ring ;)2 ) and just wear them and enjoy them and love them and get your money's worth out of them
As for looking after them and being able to pass them down - well again The Queen has some really historic pearls passed down from generations and she wears them ! Now sure how many generations back are Queen Ann and Queen Caroline but its some seroise family history around her neck some days

Its all how you look after them
just remember last on, first off

I just wish i had a lady in waiting (or a husband who could see better) to do the bl**dy clasp up !

ittypea

Rough_Rock
If its raining i wear my pearls - it makes something nice out of a rainy day
what a wonderful idea, I'll keep that one to heart!
Its all how you look after them
just remember last on, first off
Good to know! Any special way to keep them clean? Wipe with warm water and cloth seems to be what I've been told.

I'm so excited to learn more about pearls though it seems to be an expensive hobby to be getting into :rolleyes: I aspire to have some items to pass down to my future children, starting the collection now slowly.

It's funny, my husband received a little tutorial from the SA on how to close the clasp, but I did it faster with my hands behind my head lol something about men and delicate clasps....:tongue:

Oh lastly I'll really want to learn how to restring, the freshwater necklace above I bought in 2009, it's definitely stretched out.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
what a wonderful idea, I'll keep that one to heart!

Good to know! Any special way to keep them clean? Wipe with warm water and cloth seems to be what I've been told.

I'm so excited to learn more about pearls though it seems to be an expensive hobby to be getting into :rolleyes: I aspire to have some items to pass down to my future children, starting the collection now slowly.

It's funny, my husband received a little tutorial from the SA on how to close the clasp, but I did it faster with my hands behind my head lol something about men and delicate clasps....:tongue:

Oh lastly I'll really want to learn how to restring, the freshwater necklace above I bought in 2009, it's definitely stretched out.

You're so fortunate your dexterous with the clasp
I struggle a lot
Gleaming seems to be just a gentle wipe with a soft damp cloth when you take them off, i actually washed mum's ones as they need restrung anyway (ok i also wore them in the shower - but not when i was washing my hair and i don't have particularly hot showers)
Mum had been a bit naughty and had obviously ignored the last on first off rule because when i open the case stale white diamonds woffs out - which is actually a nice kind of memory of my mum

Now there are many many people around these parts much much much more knowledgeable than me by far but as i understand it wearing them helps keep them in good condition because of the oil on our skin (although i did read about some people have acidic skin that doesn't sound at all pearl freindly)

Anyway pearls don't need to be exspensive to still be pretty and wearable - we know someone around here who has so many pearls she has designated pajama pearls !

they come for all budgets and more importantly all occasions
i think a cheaper pearl can still be really pretty where as a cheap diamond ......

I mean one day im going to buy a high end strand from Andrew Molane (excusee spelling if that's incorrect) and check out some of those our @yssie is selling right now -major swoon ! I think i would faint if i saw luster like that in real life
Oh and all the amazing Mikimoto threads are amazing

But there is still a place for cheaper fun pearls
Its like imangine if all we ever ate was eye fillet steak and lobster tails but we had never tried a cheap as chips every day banana or an apple (or a bag of potato chips)

And you need a going to the beach fun strand !

But being here on PS has really opened my eyes to the affordability of nice pearls and of course my desire to also have Wilma Flintstones

And checks out pearl paradise - they often have awsome sales

Excuse the long ramble but im really feeling the pearl love right now

ittypea

Rough_Rock
But there is still a place for cheaper fun pearls
Its like imangine if all we ever ate was eye fillet steak and lobster tails but we had never tried a cheap as chips every day banana or an apple (or a bag of potato chips)

And you need a going to the beach fun strand !

But being here on PS has really opened my eyes to the affordability of nice pearls and of course my desire to also have Wilma Flintstones

You have fully convinced me and now I'm on the hunt for a bracelet and some earrings! And obvious a beach strand :D

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
You have fully convinced me and now I'm on the hunt for a bracelet and some earrings! And obvious a beach strand :D

As they say around these parts welcome to the nacre side :appl:

Now i must put my pearls on and bring the empty wheelie bin in from the street !

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results