shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me figure out if this is an OEC dude or a gem!

OECsareforLovers

Shiny_Rock
Hello! :wavey:

I came across this OEC today at a local estate/antique jewelry store. I'm only interested in the center stone (seller is okay with this). It doesn't have a certificate, but the info below is from a independent appraisal by a GIA appraiser. It was eye clean to me and faced up quite white. He originally asked 6k for just the center stone, but came down to 5k. Fair price? Not worth it?

1.25 ct
I color
VS2 clarity
7mm x 6.50 x 4.25
63% depth
Symmetry: fair
Fluorescence: faint
Additional description: chips, cavity on crown

I would greatly appreciate your thoughts on cut, price, and if the cavity on the crown is of concern. Thank you!!!

photo_mar_08__3_11_11_pm.jpg

photo_mar_08__3_12_12_pm.jpg

photo_mar_08__3_12_35_pm.jpg

photo_mar_08__11_24_09_pm.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cut looks great, and if you have seen it in person and loved it, that's awesome. I think that price is great. Less than retail for sure. Even if those stats are in the EGL range, the retail price on a stone like that is in the $8k range.

I only suggest buying it if you can get an at-least 7 day return/inspection period. If not, then you should ask that the same be contingent on the independent appraiser of your choice verifying that the color and clarity are in an acceptable range of the appriasal accompanying the stone. What is acceptance is up to you.

And you should negotiate more on price, try to get closer to $4500. If he came down to $5k before you were in hard negotiations then you can get more off.

OECsareforLovers

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Dreamer! The cavity on the crown doesn't concern you? I could see it with a 10x loupe, but not with my naked eye at any distance. Does a cavity like that effect the integrity of the stone at all?

hippi_pixi

Brilliant_Rock
just wanted to chime in that it looks like a lovely OEC and a good deal :)

Have a good look at the outline of the stone as you will find that its not very round at 7.00mm by 6.50mm, its a decent difference. obviously OEC's are rarely perfectly round but just make sure the look won't bother you.

OECsareforLovers

Shiny_Rock
Hi Hippi_pixi, thanks for the input. The overall shape didn't bother me when I saw it in person, but I'll take a closer look if I pull the trigger. I noticed the report mentions "poor polish". Would this make you consider a re-polish?

hippi_pixi

Brilliant_Rock
a repolish would be up to you. you could live with the stone for a bit and repolish if needed. i'd probably repolish first if i was going to spend money on a nice setting

but my oec is still in the $500 temp antique setting i put it in when i bought it a year ago :D so i may not be the best to ask

OECsareforLovers

Shiny_Rock
hippi_pixi|1394371415|3630452 said:
a repolish would be up to you. you could live with the stone for a bit and repolish if needed. i'd probably repolish first if i was going to spend money on a nice setting

Do you think a repolish would take care of the cavity?

OECsareforLovers

Shiny_Rock
Re: Help me figure out if this is an OEC dud or a gem!

OECsareforLovers|1394339444|3630332 said:
Hello! :wavey:

I came across this OEC today at a local estate/antique jewelry store. I'm only interested in the center stone (seller is okay with this). It doesn't have a certificate, but the info below is from a independent appraisal by a GIA appraiser. It was eye clean to me and faced up quite white. He originally asked 6k for just the center stone, but came down to 5k. Fair price? Not worth it?

1.25 ct
I color
VS2 clarity
7mm x 6.50 x 4.25
63% depth
Symmetry: fair
Fluorescence: faint
Additional description: chips, cavity on crown

I would greatly appreciate your thoughts on cut, price, and if the cavity on the crown is of concern. Thank you!!!

Anyone else want to chime in? It would be much appreciated! ForteKitty? diamondseeker2006? others?

p.s. please forgive the typo in my subject. I meant dud, not dude :roll:

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
The pattern looks nice, and from what I can see in the pics, the girdle looks pretty clean. Were you able to see the cavity on the crown? Small chips and cavities don't bother me, but I would definitely want to have it checked out to make sure there won't be durability issues.

I'm interested in the setting. If you decide to buy the diamond, would you put me in touch with the vendor? I'd love to buy the setting!

OECsareforLovers

Shiny_Rock
ForteKitty|1394466757|3631052 said:
Were you able to see the cavity on the crown? Small chips and cavities don't bother me, but I would definitely want to have it checked out to make sure there won't be durability issues.

I'm interested in the setting. If you decide to buy the diamond, would you put me in touch with the vendor? I'd love to buy the setting!

Hi Fortekitty, thank you for responding to my post! I could see the cavity on the crown after he pointed it out with a 10x loupe (I saw the remark on the appraisal and inquired). When I asked him if he would recommend having it recut/repolished to remove the cavity he gasped and enthusiastically said no!

Really, the cavity is the thing holding me back at this point since I just don't know enough about these things to know if its a bad thing, or not a big deal. Urgh!

The setting is in fact gorgeous and I would be happy to put you in touch with the seller if I decide to buy.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
You wouldn't happen to be around Souther California? Single Stone does recuts and they can give you an idea of whether the cavity will be an issue. For something so tiny you can only see it under a 10x loupe, I would think it'd be okay. Of course, freak accidents happen. If you do buy it, make sure you insure it and then wear the heck out of it!

OECsareforLovers

Shiny_Rock
I live in North Carolina, but my SO spends half his time in NYC so I'm there every couple of months. Any suggestions for a NYC based jeweler?

OECsareforLovers

Shiny_Rock

Hi ForteKitty. I put an offer in on the stone today but now the seller countered with a price for the stone and setting together. Urgh! Are you still interested? Is there any way to private message people????

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OECsareforLovers|1394811447|3634059 said:

Hi ForteKitty. I put an offer in on the stone today but now the seller countered with a price for the stone and setting together. Urgh! Are you still interested? Is there any way to private message people????

I love the stone and I'm glad that FK is getting the setting. I cant wait to see what you have planned for it FK!

Here is a DB listing to contact her on
http://diamondbistro.com/category/197/Necklaces-and-Pendants/listings/37731/060ct-E-VS2-Pear-in-Halo-Pendant-14k-wg.html

And a LT listing
http://loupetroop.com/listings/necklaces-and-pendants/0-dot-60ct-e-vs2-pear-in-halo-pendant-14k-wg

OECsareforLovers

Shiny_Rock
vintagelover229|1394814494|3634099 said:
OECsareforLovers|1394811447|3634059 said:

I love the stone and I'm glad that FK is getting the setting. I cant wait to see what you have planned for it FK!

Here is a DB listing to contact her on
http://diamondbistro.com/category/197/Necklaces-and-Pendants/listings/37731/060ct-E-VS2-Pear-in-Halo-Pendant-14k-wg.html

And a LT listing
http://loupetroop.com/listings/necklaces-and-pendants/0-dot-60ct-e-vs2-pear-in-halo-pendant-14k-wg

Thank you! I messaged Fortekitty on DB. All my fingers and toes are crossed that this works out....

HeartingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Goodness - I actually think the cut is gorgeous!!! :love: :love:

And the price is fair for what it is. Please make sure the stone is unmounted and weighed first before you fully commit - just to be on the safe side.

And I do love that mounting as well!

Good luck!

OECsareforLovers

Shiny_Rock
Okay, so I got him to agree to 5k out the door for just the center stone :love: :love: :love: . He can ship it to me in a couple weeks when I'm home and I'll have a couple weeks to get it appraised with the option to return if its junk. When we discussed payment he asked me to mail him a check (he was quick to get off the phone because there were customers in the store). All of this has happened on the phone so there is no record of our agreement.

Is this strange? I feel like I need the agreement in an email before I send a check, but is it a bad idea to send a check at all??? Should I push for a credit card or wire transfer?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
You should have the agreement in writing, including the specs of the stone as he has represented it, and he should issue a detailed receipt outlining exactly what you bought -- the purported specs -- and also spelling out the details of the return policy. Ask him to e-mail or fax you an invoice with all the necessary information, you can even send him a "draft" with the information as you currently understand it -- carat, color, clarity, details of return policy -- to make it easier. but he needs to issue the invoice to you directly so it is linked to him, on his stationary and with his signature or similar. Then you can pay how you like, but you do have protection with a Credit Card. He may want you to pay the fees in that case, but its worth it. ETA: a bank wire is like sending cash, so its the least secure method of payment.

OECsareforLovers

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Dreamer. He seemed a little frustrated with me so I started second guessing myself. I'll get an invoice before I send payment and I guess he'll give me one if he wants to sell the stone.

OECsareforLovers

Shiny_Rock
Oh my, oh my. I bought the stone today! They unset it and it weighed in at 1.33 ct!!! :love: :love: :love: :love:

They will ship it in a couple of weeks and I'll post pictures of it loose. Please, oh please let it be the stunner I think it is!

Thank you everyone for guiding me through this process

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have bought more OECs than I care to admit based only on photos, and based on the photos you posted, I am confident that the stone you bought will be a very nice slightly older-style European Cut! Whether it will be the flavour you like is another issue ;)) But that cannot be judged in photos. You made a good choice and I really can't wait to see the pics!

One thing I do notice is that most of the photos are taken at a slight tilt, not looking directly into the face of the stone. That can obscure the appearance of obstruction in photos. When you get it, make sure it doesn't go over dark in the center -- like, it should not be dark in the center from most viewing angles. These makes will almost always go a little dark when viewed up close and face on because of obstruction, but from normal viewing and at different angles, it should look nice and lively under the table if it's a keeper.

OECsareforLovers

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Dreamer! I didn't see darkness face on in the jewelry store, but will be sure to inspect it in different lighting when I get my hands on it.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
OECsareforLovers|1395330478|3637949 said:
Thanks Dreamer! I didn't see darkness face on in the jewelry store, but will be sure to inspect it in different lighting when I get my hands on it.

I forgot you had seen it already! Well that is good.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results