shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me design a yellow diamond RHR

flame2fire

Rough_Rock
My husband surprised me with a yellow diamond right hand ring and I don't love the setting. The stones are beautiful. The jeweler is willing to remake the setting at no cost and I'm trying to find a ring that doesn't look explicitly like an engagement ring but isn't so "cocktail"ish that its hard to wear "regularly." The current setting is a full bezel which I am just...meh on.

The stones are a 2.55ct cushion vivid yellow diamond and two .85ct cushion side stones. All the stones are cushion modified brilliants (or maybe hybrid cushions, but they're not strong step cuts.) The yellow is roughly square proportions and the two sides are both slightly elongated, but not super rectangular. I don't know the clarity on either bc he won't tell me and is insuring it on his own, but they seem quite nice (I worked in fine jewelry for 5 years and am a bit of a brat but have a good eye.)

Not sure if this is appropriate here, but I'd love inspiration on beautiful RHR that are not super duper modern (like crazy tension settings or halos) or very dated looking. I've been trolling Harry Winston but they have a very specific style, and Tiffany/similar are all engagement focused. Thoughts?

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What style do you gravitate towards?

There is a 3 stone thread here...

what color metal do you wear? Yellow diamonds are nice for mixing metals in the setting if that appeals to you

What a nice gift :)

flame2fire

Rough_Rock
So here's the current setting (sorry for the bad pic). I really like how low it is and how easy it is to wear but i think the amount of facing-up metal detracts from the stones? Again sorry for the terrible pics, i just took these and the setting is more symmetrical than these pics look. This is the same jeweler who made my engagement and wedding set and I 100% love the quality, just maybe not the style...

20201230_194106.jpg

20201230_194135.jpg

flame2fire

Rough_Rock
What style do you gravitate towards?

There is a 3 stone thread here...

what color metal do you wear? Yellow diamonds are nice for mixing metals in the setting if that appeals to you

What a nice gift :)

My wedding set is platinum but this will def have a yellow gold head and platinum band

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Maybe keeping the three stone but with a more delicate milgrain bezel (same colors). Or just go with prongs but in keeping with the three stone design? It's a lovely colored stone :)

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
The stones
Maybe keeping the three stone but with a more delicate milgrain bezel (same colors). Or just go with prongs but in keeping with the three stone design? It's a lovely colored stone :)

I like these ideas a lot. They are very pretty stones.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
is it the bezell you don't like or the way the setting was executed? The baskets don't let any light into your stones so I would think you'd want something that did.
You said not too modern. Or dated. Does that mean you don't like antique vibe either? I love this setting for a three stone, but of course, it's an antique ring. Image-1.jpg

Throwing another idea out there - would you perhaps want a halo/double halo for the centre stone, and then turn the side stones into earrings? 0.85ct each would make a really nice pair of earrings, and if you set the yellow stone with something like a ‘pink lemonade’ halo (a row of white melee and a row of pink melee) it would look lovely and not engagement-y.

If you do go that route I would recommend cupping the diamond in YG (which your jeweler has done already) and having a very thin bezel around your centre stone (or a thin milgrain bezel, but def in YG). Then have the pink diamond halo, ideally with RG around the top (surrounding the stones) and then a white diamond halo ideally with WG surrounding the stones (I’m not sure if the jeweler can make it a tri-gold setting without it being prohibitively expensive, but having your centre stone cupped and set with a thin bezel in YG with the rest of the head and basket in WG is definitely possible). I would also do a decorative basket (depending on your style, something like fleur de lis maybe) in WG and let the YG cup show underneath, then it looks intentional and like you have a two tone basket. You can then set it on a plain or pave shank, depending on your aesthetic.

Inspiration pics:
I think this ring is too busy and not delicate, and so I would lose the side stones and the yellow diamond halo and have it made more delicately but to show you the colours together -
53171758-9378-4C8D-9CF6-6AA09A8FD63B.jpeg

Here is a still from a video which shows how pretty vivid yellow and pink look together though I would ideally want it on a WG shank and with a WG/WD halo as well -
38D647A6-1450-4853-9C09-E3CF2A5D162A.jpeg

Enjoy! It’s a lovely gift!

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
How about a simple setting? This is a 3ct centre and c. 1 ct each side. You’d have to baby it more than your current bezels.
C4C9F84B-56DB-40A2-BB90-3A88A1EE1ED4.jpeg

(Are there ajour holes at the bottom of your current setting btw? I can’t see from the pictures. If the same jeweller is doing the new setting, they’re something I’d want to build in if you wind up going a closed back route, otherwise you’ll end up getting water and dirt trapped under the stone.)

I also like the idea raised above of earrings and a solitaire if that opens up options for you to think about.

flame2fire

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the thoughts, all! To answer a few questions- I don't have my ears pierced (weird, I know) so no earrings for me! Also, the bezels do have what I would consider to be "large" holes on the bottom of the basket so some light can get in but it's certainly a concern about it getting dirty.

I hadn't considered that maybe the bezels can be made slightly more subtle. From a distance, the ring actually looks amazing (the metal is barely visible) but up close it just feels...eh. It IS extremely comfortable, which I appreciate. I'm going to google other bezels to see if there's a style I like more, maybe with just a bit less metal facing up.

That pink halo is beautiful but I think it might be a lot given the size of this stone and my hand (I'm about a 5.5 ring size.) It already feels...sizable to me!

Some better pics- rainy here today so this is against my teal kitchen backsplash again:

20201231_090126.jpg

And with my wedding band it actually looks ok I think:

20201231_090206.jpg

20201231_090145.jpg

It won't ever replace my engagement ring which has a ton of sentimental value but I could def see wearing this instead for special occasions (whenever we're allowed to have those again!)

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure if this is appropriate here, but I'd love inspiration on beautiful RHR that are not super duper modern (like crazy tension settings or halos) or very dated looking. I've been trolling Harry Winston but they have a very specific style, and Tiffany/similar are all engagement focused.

OP said she doesn't want a halo. It seems like she still wants a 3 stone setting, just something different than what she has. I like the one posted by @lissyflo. Very classic.

flame2fire

Rough_Rock
FWIW the jeweler def knew they were taking a flyer on this with the design which is why he's offered to basically remake whatever we want. Husband said it grew on him but we're a week in and I'm still not 100%. It could also be that its a pretty large ring for me (my engagement ring is a 3-stone with a 1.65 center and .30 sides) so maybe I just need to get used to it?

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
FWIW the jeweler def knew they were taking a flyer on this with the design which is why he's offered to basically remake whatever we want. Husband said it grew on him but we're a week in and I'm still not 100%. It could also be that its a pretty large ring for me (my engagement ring is a 3-stone with a 1.65 center and .30 sides) so maybe I just need to get used to it?

I agree that the metal around the bezel is too heavy looking and looks slightly irregular. I think a miligrain would be great but it’s up to personal preference. Also you may want to see pics of his previous miligrain work if he’s done it. I’m posting a couple of pics of what I found online after just a quick search - the one with that yellow stone is a bit thicker too but still beautiful- the round stone one is the more delicate migraine.
BF7C3DE0-A9F9-4B4F-8D28-2E83C0878BF7.jpeg

Attachments

• 262F1303-2580-4875-9C25-06F85257D603.jpeg
    262F1303-2580-4875-9C25-06F85257D603.jpeg
    549.4 KB · Views: 8

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about a Gypsy setting for the middle right hand finger?

I appreciate the OP mentioned not too cocktail ring ish, however, how about something like this, another take on the Gypsy setting (this one has a stone on each side):

27-Compass-ring1.gif

DK :))

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
This looks more delicate as well C125A8CE-08F8-4803-84F6-8EC970C4BE96.png

This is nice and much softer than current ring.
I don’t know why but I like your current ring, OP. Even with its irregularity. But trust me - if it’s bothering you and jeweler is willing to reset for free go for that and don’t mind my silly comment. :)

flame2fire

Rough_Rock
This is nice and much softer than current ring.
I don’t know why but I like your current ring, OP. Even with its irregularity. But trust me - if it’s bothering you and jeweler is willing to reset for free go for that and don’t mind my silly comment. :)

I don't actively dislike it I don't think, I just don't love it and for beautiful stones of this size I want to love it! I've been wanting a yellow diamond for 5 years (we don't give each other gifts at all period, esp not expensive ones like this) and in my brain I just think I had something different in mind. The jeweler is semi-retired and I think he just wants to have fun now and this was somewhat of a passion project for him as the husband said they've been going over CADs since summer! I think maybe he can make it a bit softer but still have some of his own "flair" which I do think is important.

The jeweler is Stuart Moore, btw. I believe he was popular on here years back before the original stores closed. I don't think he has any stores anymore but he does do one-offs. I love my engagement ring and wedding band so much and def want to stay "loyal" to him!

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your jeweler sounds like a wonderful guy and you should get a setting that makes you happy!

I’m partial to swoop or flowery baskets ... the last two are half bezels I think if you want the added security of a bezel style

1609436229006.jpeg
1609436303984.jpeg

1609436373551.jpeg

Bling_of_Fire

Rough_Rock
Please let us know once you decide and also what the finished product looks like!

flame2fire

Rough_Rock
Please let us know once you decide and also what the finished product looks like!

I absolutely will! We're going to send him some ideas over the next few days. I've been wearing it to make sure I didn't turn on it but I still think something a bit more delicate is the way to go!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that this setting isn't particularly flattering to the diamonds. The one below is one of my favorites and much more delicate, open, and beautiful from all angles. It has delicate bezels with very fine milgrain which softens the edges. This ring was made by David Klass for @msop04 . You could certain have a plain shank if you wanted. Not all jewelers have the same design or skill level, so I'd just be sure you choose a style he can do well.

DK.7.5 x 7 mm Grey Spinel_3 Stone.msop.jpg

(I

Last edited:

MsShnooks

Shiny_Rock
Does it need to stay a 3-stone ring?
The yellow diamond could be used differently like in these rings from VCA, Boodles and Boucheron. 1D2011EC-F3EC-477F-A5B4-CA7C25BA29D3.png

Attachments

• F45A94F6-B04F-4E14-81CA-81CE33631AE5.jpeg
    F45A94F6-B04F-4E14-81CA-81CE33631AE5.jpeg
    151.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 3FBE7F5F-B72C-47CF-BF0C-57033737577E.png
    3FBE7F5F-B72C-47CF-BF0C-57033737577E.png
    60.4 KB · Views: 9

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I was thinking about this the other day is your ring not ready yet?

flame2fire

Rough_Rock
I was thinking about this the other day is your ring not ready yet?

It went back a few days later bc NYC weather, and they had to get more materials (I assume metal?) to remake. Hopefully within the next 2 weeks! I am so ready

Dizzie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
She's home! I love the new setting. Will get better pics but wanted to share- split prongs, still sits low, the stones are beautiful.

messages_0 (1).jpeg

Turned out so lovely. Light-years improvement from the original one. Enjoy it for years to come!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results