shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Me Design a Super Summer Ring!

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Enough of this year and this winter. Let's plan for summer 2021!

All input super appreciated! Here's what I'm thinking so far:

- Center stone about 5 carats, bright blue green or bright yellow. Round, cushion or oval.

- Yellow gold, with white gold around the diamonds, if there are any diamonds

- Casual, everyday summer ring to be worn with cut off shorts and such.

- Theme of summer/beach/nautical but in an understated way. So no tentacles, sand dollars, mermaid heads, etc.

- Maybe a fish scale design engraved on the band.

- Maybe some small pieces of inlaid mother of pearl included.

- Not too chunky

- Not amorphous, lumpy or asymmetrical (I found a lot of that when I googled things like "Caribbean ring" and "ocean ring")

- Maybe some kind of background of gold filigree that looks like a (fishing) net

- Thin band

Any ideas, drawings or photos for me? :)

Last edited:

FinleysMom

Shiny_Rock
Premium
5 carats on a thin band?

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I think I can narrow it down to this stone color. I want a blue-green stone that reminds me of the Caribbean and swimming pools.

The ring below is for sale on 1st Dibs but listed at nearly a quarter of a million USD, so proooobbably not that one. :)

paraiba stone.jpeg

ETA: Oops, sorry the pic is so big.

Last edited:

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
These are not it but they have the right vibe (I want a larger center stone and no colored sidestones except possibly white inlaid mother of pearl). I like the band detail on the second ring:

beach ring.jpg

beach ring2.jpg

Last edited:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The colour of my Asscher cut blue Zircon would suit the summer theme:

How about bezel setting the main stone in Yellow Gold, with a baguette of pink stone of some sort in NESW in the halo as accents, for the rest of the halo to be in a lighter pink stone?

DK :))

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about an oval jelly Welo Opal, in a chunky metal halo in Rose Gold?

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Maybe I'm getting closer to what I want or maybe I should just pick something tried and true before I spend a lot of money on something that turns out to be butt ugly.

Anyway, One idea for the ring top is MOP with an openwork gold design on top and the blue-green gem in the middle.

beachring1.jpg

Last edited:

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Or the top of the ring something like this but with the blue-green faceted gem in the middle and the MOP in the halo:

beachring2.jpg

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I think I'll give up on the mother of pearl side stone idea. I can't find many examples that look good and also, even though it would be inlaid, it could still probably crack pretty easily.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@dk168 - Do you have a Paraiba YAG?

I have 2, an EC and a bigger cushion.

Cushion from Gary:

774350 774351

The smaller EC rehomed from another PSer (pics taken using my Android phone which makes it look darker :():

733988 733995

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I probably won't get around to this until summertime but here's another inspo pic. Maybe a more narrow oval (possibly paraiba YAG) and the whole ring, top and band, slimmed down also, not too chunky. I want the center stone to remind me of swimming pools or the Caribbean.

My idea about including some mother of pearl might not work but at least some kind of fishnet or fish scale design on it somewhere, at least a couple of diamonds and maybe a tiny clamshells or something along those lines on each side where the band meets the top piece. I want it to be casual and beachy without being too "souvenir shop." I might also have an airline between the center stone and the surrounding gold so I could have two interchangeable stones, with the other stone being bright yellow. More ideas welcome. :)

idea paraiba.jpg

Last edited:

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Come to think of it, maybe I should have a bracelet made instead. It would have more space for everything I want to incorporate.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Off topic
but red is a summer colour down here :lol:

I feel a bit letdown the mother of pearl idea didn't / isnt working out
This looked gorgeous
Or the top of the ring something like this but with the blue-green faceted gem in the middle and the MOP in the halo:

beachring2.jpg

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I'm back lol. Now I have a stone.

With the other rings I had made, I found an inspiration ring to start with and just made tweaks to it. But I haven't found an inspiration ring for this one so far, only parts that I might want to incorporate. The stone is 10.1mm. Ideas are most welcome! :)

blue green.jpeg

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I feel a bit letdown the mother of pearl idea didn't / isnt working out
This looked gorgeous

Very late reply here lol but I feel let down about that too. My concern about mother of pearl is that it's soft and I want this to be an everyday ring that I don't have to worry about too much. But maybe there's a way to do it where the MOP could be replaced, if it ever needed to be, without destroying the whole ring...

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pearl accents can fit the beach vibe. Can use blue akoyas, golden south seas or white pearls. Can use small pearls in a halo rather than diamonds. Not so formal. Also inlay of black opal too. Love those paribas.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I'm making some progress. I like the shape of the top of the ring below, the wavy disc or coin shape. Yellow gold as shown, but without the pave diamonds. Also, without the "rim"' around the disc. So, just a round wavy gold disc, to start with.

With the blue-green lab sapphire in the middle and three diamonds at the top and bottom (all the same size rounds?), all stones bezel set or inset (no prongs). And a tiny clam shell or other oceanic touch embossed on each side of the band.

Now I just have to figure out the treatment of the gold on the top of the disk. If it will just be plain polished gold, a brushed finish, embossed with a pattern like mermaid/fish scales or fishing net, hammered finish or etc. My worry there is that I don't want to have so much going on that it looks confusing or cluttered. Thoughts?

ETA: Oops, I forgot. Another issue is that I worry that bezel set will cut out too much light from the stone and it will look too dark, as I've done with another stone. So maybe I have to re-think that. A faux bezel (if that's the name of it) maybe?

I also have to figure out the size of the disc. And the size of the diamonds. Also, maybe diamonds would look better placed like compass points, at N, S, E, W or ?

sappring1.jpg sappring2.jpg blue green.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm making some progress. I like the shape of the top of the ring below, the wavy disc or coin shape. Yellow gold as shown, but without the pave diamonds. Also, without the "rim"' around the disc.

With the blue-green lab sapphire in the middle and three diamonds at the top and bottom (all the same size rounds?), all stones bezel set or inset (no prongs). And a tiny clam shell or other oceanic touch embossed on each side of the band.

Now I just have to figure out the treatment of the gold on the top of the disk. If it will just be plain polished gold, a brushed finish, embossed with a pattern like mermaid/fish scales or fishing net, hammered finish or etc. My worry there is that I don't want to have so much going on that it looks confusing or cluttered. Thoughts?

sappring1.jpg sappring2.jpg blue green.jpeg

I don’t know if it becomes too expensive to do this, but here is what I’d love to see:

- wave shape to the top, love that
- perhaps a fish scale detail to the side of the rim of the wave shape
- the round stone in the centre, surrounded by a thick “bezel” with the same fish scale detail
- the rest of the wave circle covered in pave both white (to signify seashells and rocks) and light yellow (to signify sand) - this can be done with either diamonds or sapphires depending on cost. The stones don’t need to be evenly matched in terms of size or colour - they should be random shapes and sizes.
- plain (slightly thicker than inspo pic) band, with the clam/seashell motif if you like, but can be eliminated.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I don’t know if it becomes too expensive to do this, but here is what I’d love to see:

- wave shape to the top, love that
- perhaps a fish scale detail to the side of the rim of the wave shape
- the round stone in the centre, surrounded by a thick “bezel” with the same fish scale detail
- the rest of the wave circle covered in pave both white (to signify seashells and rocks) and light yellow (to signify sand) - this can be done with either diamonds or sapphires depending on cost. The stones don’t need to be evenly matched in terms of size or colour - they should be random shapes and sizes.
- plain (slightly thicker than inspo pic) band, with the clam/seashell motif if you like, but can be eliminated.

Great ideas. Thanks!

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Wondering how to do the center stone on the disc/coin shaped top. I want to bezel it but worry that will shut out too much light and make the stone appear too dark. But prongs might break up the whole overall look too much. I want it to look like a sort of wavy disc, not like a center stone with a "doughnut" around it.

And even if I went with prongs, if it's still set too low to the disc, it still might not get much light. Maybe a faux bezel, somewhat raised from the disc? I wish I knew if that would let in enough light so the stone is still light and bright. Thoughts?

Also, now I'm thinking of going with just brushed yellow gold, no fish scale pattern in the gold, scattered diamonds across the top or etc.

I still want to work in some diamonds and the embossed clamshell though, somehow. I was thinking about three diamonds across the top and three across the bottom, with a little clamshell at the top of each side of the band. But with the disc design, I don't think the band will really even be visible when it's worn. I guess I could put a little clamshell on each side of the disc, but sideways clamshells might look strange. And if I reverse it and put a clamshell at the top and one at the bottom with the diamonds on the sides, then I think the clamshells would be too prominent when I only want them as a little accent.

Also worried about getting "too creative" and just ending up with something weird and ugly lol. Wondering if I should just go back to the simple flower cluster. At least then I'd have a pretty good idea of what it would look like. Now I remember why I gave up last time. This is hard!

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results