shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me design a diamond pendant with a CS halo please!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For what it's worth, I like the idea of the halo angled down rather than being flat. Not as convinced about the back also having the UFO angle too.

Thank you! Yes, I am coming around to your and @Rfisher's perspective and I think an open back would do it. An issue is that with > 3.5 mm of girdle + pavilion depth below the bezel, i would need a fairly steeply raked halo to keep the culet from protruding -- that's a lot of drop over only < 4mm of baguette length...

I could make a larger diameter pendant -- but could never afford the sapphires.

emmy12

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you! Yes, I am coming around to your and @Rfisher's perspective and I think an open back would do it. An issue is that with > 3.5 mm of girdle + pavilion depth below the bezel, i would need a fairly steeply raked halo to keep the culet from protruding -- that's a lot of drop over only < 4mm of baguette length...

I could make a larger diameter pendant -- but could never afford the sapphires.

Or set the centre stone up a bit higher, or have a the halo end a bit higher and have an 1-2mm tall edge that wraps around perimeter to create the extra height you need to accommodate the depth of the centre.

voce

Ideal_Rock
My 2 cents on this is that perhaps symmetry of a UFO shape is a man's preference? I know my husband highly prefers symmetry in designs. The slope in the back may save some metal and be cool symmetry, but I think the pendant will tilt from side to side if your wife turns her body. This is nowhere as bad as the pendant flipping. Either way, the pendant will be beautiful. The way I see it, the design for the back of the pendant comes down to whether you want it to stay relatively stationary with no side-to-side movement or have a little bit of tilting (movement, glimmer) from side to side.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just wanted to follow up on this design.

Inken worked up a CAD for me. This was not essential and we may not use it, depending upon construction method, but I wanted to get a better sense of what this would look like. Diamond diameter is 7.5 mm and I was aiming for 15 mm pendant diameter.

Decided to go with octagonal shape.

This was the very first pass -- and I really like the result! The bale is just a placeholder for now -- not sure which way to go there. Inken designed the back, which I like a lot. The metal will be thinner than it appears here and there will be milgrain on the bezels and engraving around the outside edge.

Screen Shot 2023-05-21 at 10.14.42 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-05-21 at 10.14.52 AM.png Screen Shot 2023-05-21 at 10.15.09 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-05-21 at 10.15.35 AM.png

I wanted a little more sapphire coverage so I asked Inken to mock up an 18 mm version (below) -- but, although I love all the sapphire "square footage," I don't like the proportions at all. Plus, the sapphire "waste" would be insane to get these shapes with the longer dimensions cut down from baguettes.

Screen Shot 2023-05-21 at 10.16.58 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-05-21 at 10.17.14 AM.png

So I am sticking with the 15mm version.

Again, this was just the very first stab at this and I like it!

Looking for any feedback before I commit...

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Inken worked up a CAD for me. This was not essential and we may not use it, depending upon construction method, but I wanted to get a better sense of what this would look like. Diamond diameter is 7.5 mm and I was aiming for 15 mm pendant diameter.

This was the very first pass -- and I really like the result! The bale is just a placeholder for now -- not sure which way to go there. Inken designed the back, which I like a lot. The metal will be thinner than it appears here and there will be milgrain on the bezels and engraving around the outside edge.

Screen Shot 2023-05-21 at 10.14.52 AM.png Screen Shot 2023-05-21 at 10.15.09 AM.png

I wanted a little more sapphire coverage so I asked Inken to mock up an 18 mm version (below) -- but, although I love all the sapphire "square footage," I don't like the proportions at all. Plus, the sapphire "waste" would be insane to get these shapes with the longer dimensions cut down from baguettes.

I love it!! The first version is perfection!

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
I agree the 15mm looks better. I like it a lot, and yeah, that back is just *chef's kiss*

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock

Looks great! Also prefer the first one - it makes the diamond the star. In the second, the diamond and sapphires look more equal, so they compete for attention.

emmy12

Brilliant_Rock
Adore the back! I think it will sway nicely, and it reminds me of a stained glass cathedral window!

Side note: I want renderings that look like this from every designer. *Beautiful*

voce

Ideal_Rock
Excited to see your pendant project progress! I, too, prefer the 15mm proportions, but I would prefer a hexagon gem in the bale instead of such a sharp triangle.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
but I would prefer a hexagon gem in the bale instead of such a sharp triangle.

Ooh that's too much geometry for me: hexagons, octagons, triangles, and circles! No, I see what you mean. The bale was just a placeholder; will probably just go with a bare-metal triangular one or maybe with a "V" of melee. We talked about a sapphire in the bale and even melee around it. I'd rather put the funds toward the nicest sapphires, I think...

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know it hasn’t been that long @LilAlex
But any updates? Found your sapphires?
:))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results