shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me decide which setting for which stone

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Those are pretty!!! I started looking at old threads about settings and @dk168 posted this pic in a thread from 2020 - I like the tab prongs which are the same prongs of the settings you just posted. So was thinking something like this for my dark green.
706FC0C7-BFA8-4376-8648-F7DCD2B2FF43.jpeg

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Those are pretty!!! I started looking at old threads about settings and @dk168 posted this pic in a thread from 2020 - I like the tab prongs which are the same prongs of the settings you just posted. So was thinking something like this for my dark green.
706FC0C7-BFA8-4376-8648-F7DCD2B2FF43.jpeg

And in fact @dk168 any idea where this ring is on the web so I can see the side?

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Rather than begin a new thread I thought I would update this one and also ask a question. Firstly I set the darker tourmaline and I’m grateful for the advice given. I went with a budget friendly option since I sunk more funds in two more projects so I chose a setting from Vijay’s Goldenbird jewelry with some moissy details. I like how it turned out and it allows for maximum light for the stone.

F77C7363-6AB3-46E4-A63A-AE0D498FF6EC.jpeg

The emerald I set as I had planned with the three stone bezeling (read above for inspo pics etc) . I should have it Monday but my worry gene is kicking in bc in the pic the diamonds look almost champagne when they were white. So my question- does a YG bezel make a white diamond look warm?? I’m hoping it’s just the photo. But it’s something I didn’t even think about. All
my prior diamonds are set in white gold. And I know people use yellow gold with a lot of older cuts that are warm to play up the warmth. But I just never thought what yellow gold would do to a stone that is F or G in color. Here’s the pic which is screen shot of video

7B3F3D21-D1BA-43D9-8A19-FC6CB621C58F.jpeg
5E8CC04D-5C3F-4398-A242-F78E90C2C7EC.jpeg

voce

Ideal_Rock
Oh, so sorry for the unexpected surprise. YG does indeed make diamonds look warmer. I didn't expect the effect to look so drastic, but I'm thinking it's because you chose step cuts, not MRB. Step cuts diamonds are like mirrors, and they're reflecting the yellow gold.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Oh, so sorry for the unexpected surprise. YG does indeed make diamonds look warmer. I didn't expect the effect to look so drastic, but I'm thinking it's because you chose step cuts, not MRB. Step cuts diamonds are like mirrors, and they're reflecting the yellow gold.

I'm having a facepalm moment and just hoping that in real life it is less warm looking.

voce

Ideal_Rock
I'm having a facepalm moment and just hoping that in real life it is less warm looking.

Yes, I'm hoping that as well, for your sake. I would let the vendor know ASAP about your concern, so any future communication, should any tweaks be requested, would be expected and not coming to the vendor out of the blue. I can't believe the vendor would not have warned you about how warm the diamonds would look. Sincerely hoping that the vendor just tweaked the filters on the photo to try and capture the emerald's trigger color, and that the diamonds don't really appear quite that yellow IRL. I've noticed that in trying to color correct my photos of emeralds, the photo itself, including my skin color, definitely appears warmer.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I'm hoping that as well, for your sake. I would let the vendor know ASAP about your concern, so any future communication, should any tweaks be requested, would be expected and not coming to the vendor out of the blue. I can't believe the vendor would not have warned you about how warm the diamonds would look. Sincerely hoping that the vendor just tweaked the filters on the photo to try and capture the emerald's trigger color, and that the diamonds don't really appear quite that yellow IRL. I've noticed that in trying to color correct my photos of emeralds, the photo itself, including my skin color, definitely appears warmer.
It’s DK. I did email him and asked if he thought the warmth was photos or irl. I’ll see what he says. But at this point if it is irl I don’t know what I could do about it without a big and costly re-do :/

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Mreader
They are lab, right?
I recently got some set in yellow gold and boy they really took a tint more than I expected. I assumed it was the really closed setting.
mine are G’s, H&A ideal from DK.
I’m not experienced to know if it’s the setting. Or really the lab stones themselves, phenomena.

voce

Ideal_Rock
It’s DK. I did email him and asked if he thought the warmth was photos or irl. I’ll see what he says. But at this point if it is irl I don’t know what I could do about it without a big and costly re-do :/

Yikes. I have never worked with DK, but I prefer to be warned about this kind of stuff, before the ring goes into casting or setting, which they should know from their extensive experience with diamonds and all colors of gold.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
@Mreader
They are lab, right?
I recently got some set in yellow gold and boy they really took a tint more than I expected. I assumed it was the really closed setting.
mine are G’s, H&A ideal from DK.
I’m not experienced to know if it’s the setting. Or really the lab stones themselves, phenomena.

Yep they are lab. Do you happen to have a photo of the stones that you are describing?

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Yikes. I have never worked with DK, but I prefer to be warned about this kind of stuff, before the ring goes into casting or setting, which they should know from their extensive experience with diamonds and all colors of gold.

I see what you mean but I really can’t fault the vendor. He had this ring made before (again in thread above stones are light pink idk what stones they are) and I basically asked for the exact ring with my stones. I’m just crossing my fingers that the tint is not that dramatic in real life. :blackeye:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep they are lab. Do you happen to have a photo of the stones that you are describing?

88B0D6D7-8761-4DFE-9F48-F0A6D5ADC18B.jpeg
F/G on top (WF aca)
G on bottom (DK lab ideal H&A)
I’m not that well rehearsed in MRB at all, so maybe someone else can chime in
Maybe it’s the setting differences
Maybe it’s the metal color
Maybe it’s the in-house grading of the two vendors.
maybe my expectation was unrealistic, and comparison of the two is not fair.
Maybe I can’t clean it effectively enough.....ew!
I guess too many variables

I still like it though.

Hopefully yours is easily resolved to your happiness

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
also
Isn’t there talk about lab diamond color nuance?
I haven’t looked into it to know more about it to speak knowledgeably.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Even though it wasn’t intentional, if the diamonds do look tinted in person I would have thought you planned it that way. I find the warm side stones very attractive with the yellow gold and green emerald. Hopefully you’ll love it when you see it person.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
On top of that, I noticed a pavé stone fell out of the setting I bought from Vijay. Whomp whomp. :rolleyes:

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
I’m also sorry to hear about the surprise in color. If the side stones truly appear warm due to the setting - could you ask DK about cupping the side stones in a white metal?

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
@bright&shiny @voce @Rfisher I should have the piece today. David wrote back saying if the color bothered me he can rhodium plate the inside where they are set. I don’t know how complicated a process that is - I’m assuming removing those stones and how does that affect the milgraining etc. But at least there seems to be a solution if I don’t like it.

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Both your rings came out beautiful! I hope you like your DK ring in real life. I am not a big fan of white gold, so I think diamonds look lovely against the warmer gold. It’s all so personal though. I love your designs and they suit the gemstones well.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@bright&shiny @voce @Rfisher I should have the piece today. David wrote back saying if the color bothered me he can rhodium plate the inside where they are set. I don’t know how complicated a process that is - I’m assuming removing those stones and how does that affect the milgraining etc. But at least there seems to be a solution if I don’t like it.

Did you get to see the sidestones with your emerald loose?
are we supposed to address leakage of stones when deciding to set f/g color diamonds in yellow gold? I don’t know?

I hope you love it when you see it. But I understand if it’s not.
As for reworking the metal - it can come out looking perfectly fine, of course. But I’ve seen where it just doesn’t. You then address it again, or accept it.

Last edited:

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Did you get to see the sidestones with your emerald loose?

I hope you love it when you see it. But I understand if it’s not.
As for reworking the metal - it can come out looking perfectly fine, of course. But I’ve seen where it just doesn’t. You then address it again, or accept it.

Yes they were loose you may remember my story of them sending it in that envelope that was not even padded. Because I always have bad luck whenever I try to do something with jewelry LOL.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes they were loose you may remember my story of them sending it in that envelope that was not even padded. Because I always have bad luck whenever I try to do something with jewelry LOL.

Did you post pictures? If so
What thread was that? Your post history is set to private, so I can’t go back to look

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Did you post pictures? If so
What thread was that? Your post history is set to private, so I can’t go back to look

I really need to fix that. I’m posting the link to the thread and there’s only a couple of pictures of the diamonds since I wasn’t specifically talking about their color or whatever. Because of the packaging I ended up returning them and they sent me new ones but the specs were the same.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Ring in hand. I do not think I’m going to send back though the warmth shows. I don’t think it shows as much in person as in that first photograph DK sent. I am posting more pictures. If anything ( and this is funny given all my bitching about milgrain with my tourmaline ring I just did) the milgrain lightens The color of the yellow gold so it doesn’t provide as much contrast with the white diamonds. So if I kept the bezel shiny then maybe the diamonds would show up whiter. Or if I had chosen a higher karat gold because in trying to be budget conscious I did 14 K instead of 18 K. That said it is a beautiful piece and I am really in all of how fine the milgrain is as well as how saturated the emerald looks. Emerald is greener in person they always pick up a blue tone in photos.

FCDBD753-C805-47A6-AD32-07FBE5F46894.jpeg

0B819859-DA0D-4624-9D0D-6BCED72C9AF4.jpeg

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Ring in hand. I do not think I’m going to send back though the warmth shows. I don’t think it shows as much in person as in that first photograph DK sent. I am posting more pictures. If anything ( and this is funny given all my bitching about milgrain with my tourmaline ring I just did) the milgrain lightens The color of the yellow gold so it doesn’t provide as much contrast with the white diamonds. So if I kept the bezel shiny then maybe the diamonds would show up whiter. Or if I had chosen a higher karat gold because in trying to be budget conscious I did 14 K instead of 18 K. That said it is a beautiful piece and I am really in all of how fine the milgrain is as well as how saturated the emerald looks. Emerald is greener in person they always pick up a blue tone in photos.

That should have said "really in awe"... also @Rfisher I changed my privacy settings :)

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it’s gorgeous!
I’m happy you are thrilled :)

fantapanda

Shiny_Rock

LOVE LOVE LOVE the emerald and the ring! first pic the diamonds don't look warm to me, second pic i see some warmth but just a teeeny tiny bit.

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
It’s beautiful - well done! Wear it in good health!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results