shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me decide pearl size for strand—small or big?

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all, really value the opinions of a few (or many!) sets of keen eyes. Honestly I’m torn between the two sizes for future projects (maybe slightly favoring the smaller strand if only out of habit?)

Here’s my go to 7.5 mm strand that I already have:
A25E99E0-E8D9-496E-B533-6897FD623084.jpeg

Here’s a 10-10.5 mm strand:

5BDCDF92-8B11-4E75-8DDA-61328DC32F80.jpeg

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
May I suggest that your hold each strand to your neck, allowing another 2 inches in length? IMHO my bigger strands always look better viewed at a 19 to 21 inch length.

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think the larger strand looks beautiful on you. A new strand always takes a wear or two to “relax,” in my experience, and the larger mm size just lies differently on the neck. I bet those feel heavy and luxurious when worn!

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@Daisys and Diamonds Yes, everything says it is so!

@ForteKitty Thank you! I wasn’t sure if it was too big!

@elizat & @pearlsngems Thank you both, I’ll try to check out in between sizes!

@Lisa Loves Shiny Thanks! Now that you pointed it out, I think a longer strand of larger pearls may look much better! The larger size do make the strand look much shorter than pearls of a smaller size!

@KristinTech Thanks and yes, they are heavy, but like you said in a good way! As hubby says, like wearing money haha!

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Daisys and Diamonds Yes, everything says it is so!

@ForteKitty Thank you! I wasn’t sure if it was too big!

@elizat & @pearlsngems Thank you both, I’ll try to check out in between sizes!

@Lisa Loves Shiny Thanks! Now that you pointed it out, I think a longer strand of larger pearls may look much better! The larger size do make the strand look much shorter than pearls of a smaller size!

@KristinTech Thanks and yes, they are heavy, but like you said in a good way! As hubby says, like wearing money haha!

@Pinkmartini87 these are 9.5-10mm — just FYI! I think they are a great size. I wore them to my daughter’s softball practice the day they arrived, lol. 54F83549-E44E-489A-8AE9-4C30B6A3156F.jpeg

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
What kind / color of pearls are you thinking of? Color can make a difference in appearance, to my eye. For example, on me, given a choice, I love 12-14mm best in Tahitians but prefer smaller (10-12mm) for white pearls.

Bluemuse

Shiny_Rock
I think they both look lovely on you.
The 7.5mm has a more delicate, but very pretty look. The 10-10.5mm is more of a statement. I think you can pull off either one perfectly well. Maybe a 9mm would be a happy medium for regular wear?

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@Pinkmartini87 these are 9.5-10mm — just FYI! I think they are a great size. I wore them to my daughter’s softball practice the day they arrived, lol. 54F83549-E44E-489A-8AE9-4C30B6A3156F.jpeg

They look really great on you! Especially the tone is really flattering with your coloring! Thanks for sharing, and for letting me see that big pearls are not just for fancy evening wear!

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
What kind / color of pearls are you thinking of? Color can make a difference in appearance, to my eye. For example, on me, given a choice, I love 12-14mm best in Tahitians but prefer smaller (10-12mm) for white pearls.

Thanks for chiming in! I tried Tahitians before but did not like the color shifting with different light conditions. I have a working Akoya set, now hoping to get something a big bigger for “evening” although maybe big pearls can be a great look for the day too (looking at you @KristinTech!)

Because of the pandemic it hasn’t been easy to go into a boutique to try on different sizes...

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
I think they both look lovely on you.
The 7.5mm has a more delicate, but very pretty look. The 10-10.5mm is more of a statement. I think you can pull off either one perfectly well. Maybe a 9mm would be a happy medium for regular wear?

Awww thanks for your kind compliments! I think I will explore the in between sizes as well! Maybe there is a Goldilocks sweet spot in between!

I’m hoping to go to Mikimoto’s when things are better and just trying on different sizes/types.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Hi Pink. I love the soft ivory Akoya on you. I ;like the overtone that matched the dress and the length of the necklace with the neckline.

The larger pearls were not my favorite of the two, and I wondered why. I think the white was too bright against the soft off-white dress. The necklace was slightly short for the neckline. @Lisalovesshiny called it. The length of these pearls would have been better matched with another outfit and neckline, but I think you look great in this size too. The large whites are pretty glamorous. I am vibing breakfast at Tiffanys. Those pearls would look great against a dark u line higher neckline.

Finally, you have a lovely neck for pearls!

Last edited:

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Pink. I love the soft ivory Akoya on you. I ;like the overtone that matched the dress and the length of the necklace with the neckline.

The larger pearls were not my favorite of the two, and I wondered why. I think the white was too bright against the soft off-white dress. The necklace was slightly short for the neckline. @Lisalovesshiny called it. The length of these pearls would have been better matched with another outfit and neckline, but I think you look great in this size too. The large whites are pretty glamorous. I am vibing breakfast at Tiffanies. Those pearls would look great against a dark u line higher neckline.

Thank you for your kind words! Yes, I think your assessment is spot on re coloring/length. More reason to get more pearls of different size/lengths to match different necklines/outfits! A collection to slowly build up and look forward to! I started in colored stones when I joined PS but am now completely hooked on pearls!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for your kind words! Yes, I think your assessment is spot on re coloring/length. More reason to get more pearls of different size/lengths to match different necklines/outfits! A collection to slowly build up and look forward to! I started in colored stones when I joined PS but am now completely hooked on pearls!

They are so feminine...and addictive. I love the luster on the Akoya. Wonderful strand!
Hard to stop!

Bluemuse

Shiny_Rock
Awww thanks for your kind compliments! I think I will explore the in between sizes as well! Maybe there is a Goldilocks sweet spot in between!

I’m hoping to go to Mikimoto’s when things are better and just trying on different sizes/types.

Ooh, that sounds fun! It’ll be good to get some expert feedback in person.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for chiming in! I tried Tahitians before but did not like the color shifting with different light conditions. I have a working Akoya set, now hoping to get something a big bigger for “evening” although maybe big pearls can be a great look for the day too (looking at you @KristinTech!)

Because of the pandemic it hasn’t been easy to go into a boutique to try on different sizes...

You are so right in your assessment and decision regarding the color shifting of Tahitians. I personally love them, but they do shift in ways that Akoya pearls do not. Akoyas can shift a bit but basically their shift is very subtle. They go from beautiful to more beautiful while Tahitians go from the most beautiful pearls in the world to grey pearls when the lighting does not suit them. If I want to wear a stand that will look gorgeous in every lighting situation, I choose to wear an Akoya or FW strand.

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
You are so right in your assessment and decision regarding the color shifting of Tahitians. I personally love them, but they do shift in ways that Akoya pearls do not. Akoyas can shift a bit but basically their shift is very subtle. They go from beautiful to more beautiful while Tahitians go from the most beautiful pearls in the world to grey pearls when the lighting does not suit them. If I want to wear a stand that will look gorgeous in every lighting situation, I choose to wear an Akoya or FW strand.

Right?!?! I want to love Tahitians so much but it’s like a Jekyll/Hyde thing they do depending on the light :wall:

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Right?!?! I want to love Tahitians so much but it’s like a Jekyll/Hyde thing they do depending on the light :wall:

Lol. I remember a year or two back- reading a post (not sure if it was this forum or the other pearl forum) in which a poster was trying to love her Tahitians but she thought they looked like rabbit turds when viewed in certain lighting.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Lol. I remember a year or two back- reading a post (not sure if it was this forum or the other pearl forum) in which a poster was trying to love her Tahitians but she thought they looked like rabbit turds when viewed in certain lighting.

HAHAHA, yeah, that would kill the Tahitian collection pretty quickly

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yes! I think that’s why I like my ombré strand. The Tahitians are chosen to look black and gray so there’s no annoying shift of being wonderfully colorful to blandly monochrome since monochrome is the goal.

If I could only wear one type of pearl I’d probably go akoya just got that beautiful glow. I still also love Tahitians though moody as they are. The colors are just too fun.

Re:sizes. I think for an evening look bigger pearls read more fancy and lux.

CMN

Brilliant_Rock

The larger pearls were not my favorite of the two, and I wondered why. I think the white was too bright against the soft off-white dress. The necklace was slightly short for the neckline. @Lisalovesshiny called it. The length of these pearls would have been better matched with another outfit and neckline, but I think you look great in this size too. The large whites are pretty glamorous. I am vibing breakfast at Tiffanys. Those pearls would look great against a dark u line higher neckline.

It agree. Prefer the colour of the first smaller set (with what you are wearing) but the size of the second larger set.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have not read all the posts, just wanted to comment that PSS exists, and one can carry bigger pearls as one gets older.

Going from a 7.5mm to a 10-10.5mm is a big jump if one is not used to wearing such big pearls. Therefore, I would suggest opting for a slightly smaller size of 9-9.5mm.

However, if the opportunity to get a bigger strand at a later date is out of the question, then go big now for certain.

Personal opinion and all that.

DK :))

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@CMN Thank you! I realize now the color can also accentuate the size as well and certainly the whiter pearls give the illusion of being bigger.

@dk168 Thanks! PSS is real and I think I’ll try out the middle sizes. But yes, prob will eventually own a Wilma Flinestone strand but my eyes may have to get used to it!

@Pearlescence Thank you for the suggestion! Yes, maybe for my larger strand I will go for a less “pop-out” white color.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Pinkmartini87 one's built, age and personal style would need to be taken into considerations too.

I am plus size with a chunky neck, in my mid 50s, and quite bold in terms of the colours that I like and wear.

Definitely not demure, and dainty jewellery and accessories just do not suit me.

These two are my biggest strands:

I seldom wear them as the opportunities to dress up is far and between nowadays. The largest SSP is about 14mm.

I would love a bigger, rounder and better strand of blue Tahitians - it is my pearl holy grail.

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@Pinkmartini87 one's built, age and personal style would need to be taken into considerations too.

I am plus size with a chunky neck, in my mid 50s, and quite bold in terms of the colours that I like and wear.

Definitely not demure, and dainty jewellery and accessories just do not suit me.

These two are my biggest strands:

20201107_175759.jpg

I seldom wear them as the opportunities to dress up is far and between nowadays. The largest SSP is about 14mm.

I would love a bigger, rounder and better strand of blue Tahitians - it is my pearl holy grail.

Thank for sharing your pieces—they are luscious!

I remember your wish for blue Tahitians! I was looking for a small blue strand of Tahitians but have kind of given up. Most I saw were either too inky/dark or more green or gray than true blue. Good luck in your search!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results