shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me decide on a Cushion Cut Diamond! Proposing in 2.5wks

Brent21

Rough_Rock
Hello,

After spending weeks browsing local jewelers searching for a quality, reasonably priced, Cushion Cut diamond, I have decided to go the online route. I am searching for a 0.90ct. - 1.15ct. loose cushion cut diamond between $3,500 - $4,500. My idea is to purchase the loose diamond online, and then buy the setting at a local jewler. I have narrowed it down to a few that I found on Blue Nile, however, I cannot decide on which one to go with.

Option 1:
Cut = "Good"
Carat Wt. = 1.11
Color = H
Clarity = VVS2
Depth % = 66.8
Table % = 65
L/W Ratio = 1.00 (She wants a more square cut diamond)
Price = $4,415

Option 2:
Cut = "Good"
Carat Wt. = 0.97
Color = G
Clarity = VVS2
Depth % = 69.5
Table % = 57
L/W Ratio = 1.04
Price = $4,244

Option 3:
Cut = "Good"
Carat Wt. = 1.14
Color = H
Clarity = SI1
Depth % = 69.6
Table % = 63
L/W Ratio = 1.02
Price = $4,213

Is there a real difference in BN's "Good" and "Very Good" cuts for Cushion Cut diamonds? Any advice you cuys may have would be greatly appreciated. I am planning on a surprise proposal in 2.5 weeks!

Thanks!

Brent

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Re: Help me decide on a Cushion Cut Diamond! Proposing in 2.

Welcome, Brent! I don't think you'll find too many people here who would buy a cushion cut from Blue Nile, since they don't offer photos. With cushions, you really need to see the facet pattern to know if you'll (or she'll) like it. I'd want the most excellent cut possible.

More info. on cushion cuts and the different facet patterns: https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/cushion-cut-diamond

If I had your budget and wanted a square modern cushion look, I'd probably get this one (it's a cushette): http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/4270/

ETA: Is there a particular reason you want to get the diamond set locally? We could help find a setting, too, if we know what you're looking for.

slg47

Ideal_Rock

hi and welcome! there are many different 'types' of cushion cuts so you really need images when searching.

this video takes you through the different kinds...if you let us know what you are looking for we can point you in the right direction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1O7H8E_MYRM

Brent21

Rough_Rock

The only reason I thought I would have it set locally is in case the ring would need to be resized or ever need to have any repairs/maintenance done. I would not be opposed to ordering the setting online I am just having trouble deciding on which one to go with. I know she wants a somewhat thicker band (not super thick) and she doesn't want the ring to be too bulky (she's going to be a nurse and doesn't want anything that would really get in the way). I think here style is more "simple" (not flashy), maybe even a little vintagey. I did notice one time when she was on her laptop she showed me a pop-up ad of a ring she liked from A. Jaffe (http://www.ajaffe.com/details.php?id=142&), however, the ring is a little out of my budget and after going to the local Jaffe dealer, they said it would take approx. 3 weeks to have set (I am hoping to propose the first week in October).

I really appreciate your guys help and thank you for the above advice!

Also, with regards to ring size... I secretly borrowed two of her existing rings to have sized at a local jeweler... one was a Size 6 and one was a size 7. I do know she wears them together on her ring finger. Would I be safe going with a Size 6.5??

Thanks

jewels2

Shiny_Rock

If (and when LOL) I were getting a Cushion cut I would without a doubt call Jon at GOG and tell him my budget and see what he had for me.
Also since you are unsure of the setting I would get just a simple solitaire band and let her pick something later on :D

Congrats!

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock

Brent21|1316452898|3020725 said:
I know she wants a somewhat thicker band (not super thick) and she doesn't want the ring to be too bulky (she's going to be a nurse and doesn't want anything that would really get in the way). I think here style is more "simple" (not flashy), maybe even a little vintagey. I did notice one time when she was on her laptop she showed me a pop-up ad of a ring she liked from A. Jaffe (http://www.ajaffe.com/details.php?id=142&), however, the ring is a little out of my budget and after going to the local Jaffe dealer, they said it would take approx. 3 weeks to have set (I am hoping to propose the first week in October).

I really appreciate your guys help and thank you for the above advice!

Also, with regards to ring size... I secretly borrowed two of her existing rings to have sized at a local jeweler... one was a Size 6 and one was a size 7. I do know she wears them together on her ring finger. Would I be safe going with a Size 6.5??

Thanks

I'd contact Good Old Gold and show them the setting she likes and see what they have. They are a Bricks & Mortar jewelry store and they have a huge selection of settings available, just not posted online (yet).

As for sizing, I think going with a 6.5 would be a safe bet if she can wear both a 6 and 7 together, but she might prefer just having a 6. She'll definitely be able to get it over her knuckle. However, as a nurse, she may leave her ring at home rather than wearing it to work, in which case a 6.5 might be easier to slip on and off regularly. If you need to get it sized later, that's usually included in the ring purchase (i.e. you can send it back later for sizing with no extra charge)--confirm this with the vendor to be sure, but Whiteflash did it for my ring.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results