Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Trade in the ECs for pears, and add a round sapphire

• Other suggestions??

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey everyone! So just before Christmas my hubby and I upgraded my original emerald cut sapphire e-ring solitaire by adding two lovely emerald cut diamond side-stones (pics etc here: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-setting-for-my-sapphire-and-diamond-ec-three-stone.77743/). After a little tweaking, I am loving the look of the setting, but I am still not totally loving the ring. I don''t think it is giving my enough sparkle, and although I love the sentiment of the sapphire my DH proposed with, it isn''t a very well cut sapphire and I find it a little dark in most lighting, and so I feel it kinds "lets down" the ring. Anyways, I have decided to have Jeff White custom cut me a new sapphire for my ring! Yah!
36.gif
He has access to great Sri Lankan (Ceylon) rough that is that great electric blue that I love in sapphires, so I''m gonna pull the trigger and start that process is a couple weeks!

Here''s where I need your help. I can''t decide whether to have him cut an emerald shape stone to match my current ECs, either with a flashier barion pavilion or with steps, OR whether I want to start all over and have him cut a round or oval shape cut for maximum sparkle etc and then trade in my current EC diamonds for another shape that will give me the sparkle that I crave! My jeweler has a 100% trade in policy so I wouldn''t lose any $$ with this second option, just the cost of alterning my setting.

So tell me, what do you think I should do??

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is what my ring looks like now.

dreamerscurrentring2.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is what the color will probably look like in the new stone, this picture has steps, but I''m not sure it will show off the color and life of the stone to its best potential...

dreamersdreamcolor.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is not a sapphire, but this is an example of an emerald shape with a barion cut pavilion. Would this look good with my EC sidestones?

barionemeraldtypecut.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Also not a sapphire, but this is a round that Jeff cut, just to show what he can do!

roundtypecutilike.jpg

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
I picked other, how about the new ec with the barion pavilion and radiant shields or radiant fat tapered side stones?

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
Cushion and halfmoons!!! Or oval and halfmoons!!!!

Halfmoons!!! Can you tell I
30.gif
halfmoons??!!?!

Seriously though, if you are going to get a sapphire custom cut to whatever shape/cut you want you should definitely consider all of your options (which you seem to be doing). Is there anywhere you can go to see the different shapes and cuts in person? Even if the sapphires are not the best quality it will still give you an idea of what you are looking for.
If I were in your shoes I would do a cushion or oval center sapphire with brilliant halfmoon sides. To me that is the ultimate!
G/L on your decisions, looking forward to what you decide
3.gif

BlueJeans

Shiny_Rock
I love half moons! Cushion and half moons!
18.gif

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I voted the first one...the only thing that I would change is that I would have Jeff White cut the EC sapphire BIGGER than what your current one is! I love your ring, and I love the EC sides!

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2008 3:33:17 PM
Author: BlueJeans
I love half moons! Cushion and half moons!
18.gif

I agree!! Cushion with half moons all the way!!!!
36.gif
36.gif

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
well, I voted for the emerald with the other facet pattern, and now I change my mind
26.gif

I dont think I would like that next to step cut diamonds. I change my vote to either the regular emerald or the cushion/half moon option. I loooove half moons as well.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A cushion with half moons all the way baby!

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Hey DD
35.gif
, I just gotta pose a question.

I keep seeing your rb threads, and I'm wondering if that is what you really want. Or, correct me if I'm mistaken, the rb is for a RHR?

I went through the same thing. I kept changing my original princess ering--changed 3 times!--adding different side stones, settings, etc.-thinking that I would like it better. In the end, what I really wanted was the rb solitaire, so I upgraded to that. And I'm totally satisfied, except for the pesky DSS(which can be cured
27.gif
), but really, I'm so happy that I switched, because I loooove rounds!

If the rb is for a RHR, then I've totally misread your posts(
1.gif
whoops sorry!), and I vote cushion or oval with half moons for sure!

If you're changing your ring, because you really want the sparkle of a round diamond, then I'd say, get a round with a lifetime upgrade.

Either way, GORGEOUS!!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Thanks for your input everyone!! I really appreciate it!!

Siggghhhh… coati you found me out. I really do want a great big RB. But here is the dilemma. I have invested what is, to me, a large sum of money in my current sidestones with my local jeweller. He has a 100% trade in policy and if I add my current budget to the trade in I could get over the 1ct mark if I go “down” to a J color (I love Js!!

30.gif
). Thing is, while this guys prices are good (about 60% less that maul stores, 30% less than other custom jewellers I have visited), he doesn’t really deal in GIA and AGS stones, no one in Canada really does (at least no one with trade-in policies!!), they all use Gemscan. So I guess I am worried that a stone I get from my guy won’t perform like a stone from GOG or Whiteflash… and since watching the video tutorials on GOG I know that I want a super-ideal stone! They look amazing!!

So I guess the real question I should have asked in this poll was do I:

a) add my new budget to my trade in value and get a 1ct J stone from my guy, and use all my PS knowledge to just get the best stone I can possibly get
b) Take my new budget and “start over” at GOG and get a .6ct beauty… but that will have to last me a few years at least! And I worry that it won’t even come close to satisfying my desire for a big rock. Make my current three stone a RHR
c) Take my new budget and get a gorgeous sapphire and try to make my current three-stone something that will keep me happy until I can get a bigger RB from GOG in a few years

Sighhhh, I have been agonizing over this decision for weeks… months! And I thought I knew my answer which is why I posted this poll! But now I am double-thinking myself!

Help!!

DD

PS: thank you all for being patient with my waffling.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Aw DD! I feel ya! So glad you understood my post--I thought it was a tad incoherent, as I am home sick with the flu...ugh.

Now this is a toughie--but a good toughie, because you've got options!

If you used your PS knowledge with your local guy, and absolutely don't settle on cut, you could get an awesome stone! Can you give him your parameters for crown/pavillion angle, depth/table etc, and see what he can pull for you? Providing he can get you a stone of the caliber you want, this sounds like a good option. Numbers for rbs are pretty clear, and if he can provide you with the caliber of stone you want, it will perform no matter who grades it. (imho) I love my EGL US stone, and I love how it performs.

If you kept your current three stone as an RHR, would you be happy with it? I only ask, because you want to do some changes. I think it's lovely!

Would a new gorgeous sapphire make you happy while you wait? If so, then the GOG route sounds awesome, because then, you could transfer that new gorgeous sapphire to your right hand, and "incrementally" work on your solitaire with GOG.

Can you upgrade as many times as you want with the local guy?

Coati
1.gif

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2008 11:56:55 PM
Author: dreamer_dachsie
Thing is, while this guys prices are good (about 60% less that maul stores, 30% less than other custom jewellers I have visited), he doesn’t really deal in GIA and AGS stones, no one in Canada really does (at least no one with trade-in policies!!), they all use Gemscan.
Hi DD,

I''m sorry, I''m not sure what to suggest for your upgrade b/c, frankly, I''m just as confused as you, however, I really do like some of the suggestions other people have offered. Even though I can''t really help, I''ve been following this thread and just saw your update above.

Although I live in Vancouver, BC, I haven''t really done much diamond shopping here b/c my jeweler is in Seattle so I pretty much just go by what others have stated here on PS about Cda being Gemscan laden. This past weekend, however, I was pleasantly surprised as I had the chance to venture out with my friend who, herself, is seeking an upgrade. I did some research and found quite a few local B&M jewelers who actually do deal in AGS & GIA certed stones. .... MOST surprisingly was Spence Diamonds. I have always hated Spence for some reason, however, I thought, since we were just looking, we would see what they have to offer.

The sales person was fantastic, knowledgeable AND eager to show us AGS0 and GIA Ideal/Ex diamonds. We simply just asked to see them. They were phenomenal diamonds and I was shocked!!

I just wanted to stop in and mention this since Spence has many locations across the country, one of which may be close to you??? I''m not sure about the "competitiveness" of their pricing or about their "upgrade" policy, however, I figure every little piece of info helps when you are trying to navigate through this process.

Continued luck in your pursuit of the perfect upgrade. I''m sure that whatever you decide will be gorgeous!
36.gif

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I think that step cuts will always be my fave in general, but I really love brilliant cuts for erings. I went from an asscher-cut ering to an RB, and couldn''t be happier. I have a friend who has a cushion diamond with half moon sidestones, and people stop her on the street to compliment her ring. I think you would be really ahppy with that look.

I still love step cuts, but more for RHRs if you are missing the sparkle on your engagement finger ;-)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2008 12:36:59 AM
Author: coatimundi
Aw DD! I feel ya! So glad you understood my post--I thought it was a tad incoherent, as I am home sick with the flu...ugh.

Now this is a toughie--but a good toughie, because you've got options!

If you used your PS knowledge with your local guy, and absolutely don't settle on cut, you could get an awesome stone! Can you give him your parameters for crown/pavillion angle, depth/table etc, and see what he can pull for you? Providing he can get you a stone of the caliber you want, this sounds like a good option. Numbers for rbs are pretty clear, and if he can provide you with the caliber of stone you want, it will perform no matter who grades it. (imho) I love my EGL US stone, and I love how it performs.

If you kept your current three stone as an RHR, would you be happy with it? I only ask, because you want to do some changes. I think it's lovely!

Would a new gorgeous sapphire make you happy while you wait? If so, then the GOG route sounds awesome, because then, you could transfer that new gorgeous sapphire to your right hand, and 'incrementally' work on your solitaire with GOG.

Can you upgrade as many times as you want with the local guy?

Coati
1.gif

coati Good questions. Typically, he sells stones that are what gemscan calls pre-certed, which means all you get is color, clarity, carat and size measurements (L & D), and cut grade. I have seen some of their ideal stones and they looked really good
30.gif
and the D/L percentage at least is in the sweet spot. But I need to see more esp now that I have watched GOGs tutorials and know what to look for in an ideal stone in terms of brightness, scintillation, and fire. Also, it is totally possible for him to get stones that are totally measured with a full cert, they just cost a little more (couple hundred) and I haven't asked him yet, but I bet he might be able to get AGS GIAs too, and then of course there is no issue, but those stone may come at a heavy premium up here, that\s what I have read elsewhere. We found this guy through my DHs connections in the insurance world--he is the person the insurance companies buy diamonds from if they are replacing your lost or damaged stone, that's why his prices are so competitive, but it makes me think that he may have connections for US stones too. If he will agree to let me get the stone independently appraised as a condition of sale, which I feel certain he will, then I can take it to Harold Weinstein, who is apparently as tough as AGS and linked to them somehow, and get the full story on numbers etc... I guess I'm just nervouse about the hassle and whether I can end up with something I really like that route. It would be so much easier to work with someone who just tests for optics and carries the best all the time!

If I kept my current ring as a RHR i would be happy with it because it wouldn't need to be "perfect" then, I could appreciate it for its sentimentality and for the beauty of the ECS, which I think are really great. But then I oculdonly get a .6ct stone, which I worry wouldn't keep me happy for long?? Plus, we are not in the financial position realy to be extravagant enough for me to have 2 diamond ringd!! Though I guess if the $$ is the same either way that shouldn't matter... I'd really prefer to have all my $$ invested into one piece that will be really great than have it invested in 2 pieces, neither of which is quite what I want.

Would I be happy with a new sappire? That's the million dollar question. Some days I think yes, but people suck at affective forcasting and I am the type to really re=think purchases so I don't know if I will be happy with that or not! It would need to keep me happy for at least 2-3 years...

Oh, and I can do as many tradeups with my jeweler as I want, as often as I want, and he will even honor equal-value trade ins. This is a pretty good policy in my mind! And he has been a good customer service person so far...

I think I am leaning towards going with the 1 ct upgrade... I can just get the best stone I can find and hopefully I will fall in love! I fell in love with these ECS and they are lovely... maybe they aren't GOG level of perfection, but if I have nothing in my face to compare to will I notice that small improvement from really really great to super great??
sparkalicious I'm a former vancouver girl too! Good heads up on Spence, who knew. I think if I go with a different jeweler I will still go with GOG b/c I just like them and they are so knowledgeable.

DD

krisvrn

Brilliant_Rock
Hello- I picked other. How about an emerald cut diamond in the middle and keep the side diamond emeralds. (make the whole ring diamonds)
Just my 2 cents.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2008 8:31:02 AM
Author: vespergirl
I think that step cuts will always be my fave in general, but I really love brilliant cuts for erings. I went from an asscher-cut ering to an RB, and couldn''t be happier. I have a friend who has a cushion diamond with half moon sidestones, and people stop her on the street to compliment her ring. I think you would be really ahppy with that look.

I still love step cuts, but more for RHRs if you are missing the sparkle on your engagement finger ;-)
Vesper, I missed your post earlier, sorry! I followed your saga a little in my PS surfing, and I think I agree with you: love the look of step cuts but not for my e-ring! I really do love the look of my current step-cut sidestones, so at this exact moment I am leaning towards keeping my ring as it is and adding a "smaller"solitaire to my collection... lets see how I feel in the morning.

And Kris, that is a great suggestion but I think a .92ct diamond to match my sides (i.e. f color lowest) is out of my budget for now! I did think of it though, zhuzhu has a killer EC three-stone that is drool-worthy...

Thanks everyone for helping me!

DD

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can I tell you that I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE your ring as is!! It''s beautiful, classic, but not common, looks great on your hand. I lvoe the color of you sapphire too - could a 1/2 eternity bling it up a little more, if that''s what you''re after? If I were you (and i''m not) I would wear the stone my DH proposed with - especially now that you reset it so beautifully. Best of luck whatever you decide.

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
STOP! You know what I voted, jut get a bigger, bluer, better cut EC sapphire lady! Yes, RBs are awesome, DD you have 7 other fingers (thumbs aren''t really fingers are they?) save up and get a honker for the right hand, but keep your Ering blue. Get a sparkly, lively huge blue! yummy. And stick those same gorgeous EC diamonds on the side, mine are about the same size as yours but with a 9x7 mm and change sapphire...bigger would be fantastic too. Yeah, I wish mine was more blue sometimes when inside on a sunless day like today, but to change it to a diamond? blasphemy! There are tons of gorgeous diamond rings on this board, but you have something unique.
30.gif
What did you think I was gonna say about you changing around "our" engagement ring?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Motownmama and swimmer I have reached an epiphany over the last few days about this issue! In part it was all the helpful posts to this ill-conceived poll (Thanks so much everyone! I love PS
36.gif
) and it part is was spending three days with my best friend (we are at a conference in Washington DC right now, what a fun place!). She convinced me that it is ok to get what I want (an RB) and keep what I have already! I agree with you, Motownmama, I wan't to wear the stone my DH proposed with, it made me really sad thinking of it sitting in my drawer all sad and lonely! And I agree with you swimmer that the three-stone sapphire is gorgeous! I actually love this ring... I just need an RB as well to satisfy my need for sparkly! So I decided that I am going to order an RB in May, when I get my next lump sum paycheck. For my budget I can get a .75-.80 ct. ideal cut, J color stone from GOG or WF, and I think that is a very nice size, thank you very much! Then I can trade up over the years, how much fun! Now all I have to do is decide on a setting and whether to order from GOG or WF! I'm sure I'll seek some help on that soon!

Thanks so much everyone... even though I am not doing what this post was originally about, I feel so good about my decision and I can't wait to get my new stone!

Now all I have to do is decide which ring to wear on which hand?? My fingers are totally different sizes!

ETA: the votes were tied for keep it like it is (but get a bigger better sapphire) and get a cushion sapphire with half-moon sides! Well I'm keeping this ring like it is, but I am definitely going to get a cushion spinel or spessartite garnet sometime soon and I'll think about half-moons for the ring for sure!!
DD

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
OKAY. So cushion and halfmoons is my all time fav. But I voted for the EC shaped barion with your curent side stones. I love that your hubby has put all this time and effort into the ring. And the sidestones look lovely. BUT I would change the proportions up a bit, and made the sapphire noticably larger and longer than the ec side stones and step the side stones down in a new setting. From Leon. LOL.

Just saw that what you really want is a round brilliant diamond. Oh OKAY. I'd get a light blue (neatfreaks color) round brilliant sapphire with whatever sides you want for the time being, if it were me. Then I'd do a totall trade later on. And re-use the sidestones for diamond ring. Put sapphire in pave halo pendant. That's me though.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2008 6:01:53 PM
Author: dreamer_dachsie
Motownmama and swimmer I have reached an epiphany over the last few days about this issue! In part it was all the helpful posts to this ill-conceived poll (Thanks so much everyone! I love PS
36.gif
) and it part is was spending three days with my best friend (we are at a conference in Washington DC right now, what a fun place!). She convinced me that it is ok to get what I want (an RB) and keep what I have already! I agree with you, Motownmama, I wan't to wear the stone my DH proposed with, it made me really sad thinking of it sitting in my drawer all sad and lonely! And I agree with you swimmer that the three-stone sapphire is gorgeous! I actually love this ring... I just need an RB as well to satisfy my need for sparkly! So I decided that I am going to order an RB in May, when I get my next lump sum paycheck. For my budget I can get a .75-.80 ct. ideal cut, J color stone from GOG or WF, and I think that is a very nice size, thank you very much! Then I can trade up over the years, how much fun! Now all I have to do is decide on a setting and whether to order from GOG or WF! I'm sure I'll seek some help on that soon!

Thanks so much everyone... even though I am not doing what this post was originally about, I feel so good about my decision and I can't wait to get my new stone!

Now all I have to do is decide which ring to wear on which hand?? My fingers are totally different sizes!

36.gif
Yay DD! I think you made the best choice all around! Can't wait to see what settings you're interested in.
31.gif

and I love your ring--have since you first posted it! (it's currently fueling my own sapphire desires
9.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
gyspy what great suggestions! One day I will get a Leon, and a pave pendant, and everything else you suggested!

Thanks coati, you started all this and I will be forever in your debt for prodding me in the right direction! haha... my husband will also be forever in your "debt" as we upgrade over the years
31.gif

I will start a thread about settings and everything else when the time gets a little closer!!

DD

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results