shape
carat
color
clarity

new setting for my sapphire and diamond EC three-stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
At Christmas time, my hubby and I decided to upgrade my emerald cut sapphire solitaire by adding emerald cut side stones to make a three-stone ring, something I have always wanted. This was a major expense for us, and I was eagerly awaiting my ring, but I must admit that when it arrived I was a little underwhelmed. Well, a lot underwhelmed. I just thought the setting was aweful. I tried to make the best of it and grow to love the setting, but the more I lived with it the more disappointed I became! I had been longing for a three-stone since we go engaged almost 2 years ago, and the day had finally come, and when I saw the ring I didn't get that moment where you go, "Wooowww! I love it!!" So disappointing.
8.gif

What didn't I like? Well it was a custom jobbie and they made some choices that I wouldn't have made in designing the ring... especially making a cut out in the basket of the e-ring to allow the wedding band to sit flush. This was not something I thought they would do, and I was shocked when I saw it! (As a note, this is a very very inexpensive setting for custom, and so I didn't see a wax. Our "jeweler" is actually a diamond wholesaler, a "rock man" with great taste in stones and value as good as online, so he is not a jewelry expert) Also I didn't like the basket, it looked like scaffolding sticking up off my finger. I could have lived with those design issues, but the craftsmanship was terrible. Some pitting in the gold, unfinished edges on the basket, and worst of all, monster, uneven, crooked prongs. And the center stone was crooked. I hated looking at my ring because these things just bothered me so much! I guess I am a bit of a perfectionist, because since becoming obsessed with rings I have noticed that most of my friends have rings that are poorly crafted as well. But I was not happy.

So I spent two weeks looking at pictures on pricescope and thinking about what I wanted, and I came accross pictures of Ritani's royal crown setting, and I really liked it. Our jeweler had told us when we bought our stones that he would re-make the setting for free until I was happy, so we took him up on that offer. So two weeks ago we went back and I looked through his stock settings to see if he had anything like the royal crown setting I loved, and guess what? He did! How did I miss it the first time? I have no idea. So he sent the ring I loved out with my old setting so that the benchman could create an exact replica of the setting I loved.

On Wednesday morning I went and picked up my new ring and I looooooooooove it!
30.gif
30.gif
It is everything I always wanted. The "basket" is swoopy and gorgeous, the profile of the stones is a whole mm lower, the shank is wider, and the prongs and lovely little pointed prongs that hug my stone just right! I have been staring at my ring all day everyday, I never want to take it off! For the first time in the history of my ring, I look at it and just love everything about it! I am so glad that I swallowed my anxiety about appearing demanding, or being troublesome, and went back to the jeweler and told him I was unhappy. It was hard to stick up for myself like that, but if I hadn't I wouldn't have the ring that I adore! I encourage anyone who isn't happy with their setting to steel their nerves and go after what they really want. It is so worth it.

Without further ado, here is my new setting!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here is my old setting first. The basket ...

dreamersoldsetting3.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
The strange cut out in the basket...

dreamersoldsetting2.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
And the monster prongs... I know some people like this look, but it just wan''t my taste...

dreamersoldsetting1.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
And now my NEW and IMPROVED profile shot... I love it, so fluid. And the stones really flow into the shank because the stance is only 5mm at it''s highest point, whreas the old setting was 6mm..

dreamersnewsetting1.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Side shot... the shank is 3.5mm near the stones, and tapers to 2.2 mm at the sides. The gap is totally subtle and doesn''t bother me at all! I actually like it!

dreamersnewsetting8.jpg

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Ooooh, I love it! That wacky cut-out is... interesting. I wonder why he would have done that without your permission? Weird! Oh well, though, it all turned out fantastically!! Beautiful!!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lovely prongs... And windmills on the diamond!

dreamersnewsetting9.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love this view, the prongs are so close the the stones
30.gif

dreamersnewsetting4.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hand shot! I love the extra presence that the ring has now that the shank is a little wider.

dreamersnewsetting7.jpg

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That''s gorgeous! The whole look is much cleaner and flows so beautifully now - the color of the stones even look better in that setting. I completely agree it was worth taking a stand and having it redone. It makes a world of difference -- Congrats!
1.gif

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The new setting looks great and it''s good that you had your jeweler fix what was bothering you. Everyone deserves to love their ring. I can see why you do now!
36.gif
36.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
lovely stones... sorry about picture overload, but I always love it when other people post lots of pics, so I thought I would too!
41.gif

dreamersnewsetting2.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
30.gif

dreamersnewsetting5.jpg

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
DD!
It's gorgeous! Wow! I'm so happy that you got what you really wanted. It's just lovely. I love 3 stones that are set lower. Sometimes you have to go back a few times to get it right, and your jeweler sounds great.

Yay!!

Your emerald cut side stones are beautiful, as is your sapphire!!
30.gif
30.gif
36.gif
36.gif

You take great photos too!
More! More! pleeeez

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Last one! I love emerald cuts, they are so mezmerizing
18.gif
... Thanks so much for letting me share! Some people don''t understand how important my ring is to me, and its so nice to hae a place where everyone shares my obsession!

dreamersnewsetting6.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2008 1:34:37 PM
Author: AmberWaves
Ooooh, I love it! That wacky cut-out is... interesting. I wonder why he would have done that without your permission? Weird! Oh well, though, it all turned out fantastically!! Beautiful!!
Thanks for the compliment on my new setting Amber! I think one of the compromises that I made for the low price of the setting was not working with the benchman directly... I think the jeweler was trying to describe the cut out to me when describing what they would do to solve the ever-present gap problem with emerald cuts, but I just didn''t understand him! If I ever get a super fancy ring one day and go custom, I will only work directly with the ring maker. But working with my jeweler, from now on I will always ask to have one of his stock settings made, that way I know what I am getting.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2008 1:40:23 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady
Actually, I love it. AND, I wish mine were more similar to this.
SDL, I love your three-stone! It is awesome, your finger-coverage is so amazing. Some day I may get a three stone like yours that is the inverse of mine: diamond center with sapphire sides!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2008 1:41:25 PM
Author: violet3
That''s gorgeous! The whole look is much cleaner and flows so beautifully now - the color of the stones even look better in that setting. I completely agree it was worth taking a stand and having it redone. It makes a world of difference -- Congrats!
1.gif
Thanks so much violet! I agree that my stone looks blue-er... that isn''t just the lighting, it looks that way in real life too, who knows why? But that just might be my love talking...
2.gif

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Its beautiful, Dreamer!! I LOVE the new setting...your ring is just beautiful!! Enjoy it!!!!
36.gif
36.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2008 1:41:39 PM
Author: Catmom
The new setting looks great and it''s good that you had your jeweler fix what was bothering you. Everyone deserves to love their ring. I can see why you do now!
36.gif
36.gif
Thanks catmom, I am obsessed with your ring, BTW, I love fancies!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2008 1:45:28 PM
Author: coatimundi
DD!
It''s gorgeous! Wow! I''m so happy that you got what you really wanted. It''s just lovely. I love 3 stones that are set lower. Sometimes you have to go back a few times to get it right, and your jeweler sounds great.

Yay!!

Your emerald cut side stones are beautiful, as is your sapphire!!
30.gif
30.gif
36.gif
36.gif

You take great photos too!
More! More! pleeeez
Thanks Coati, I love a low profile too. My jeweler said it was the lowest he''s seen on a three stone. Here''s another picture just for you
2.gif

dreamersnewsetting3.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2008 1:58:14 PM
Author: Dani
Its beautiful, Dreamer!! I LOVE the new setting...your ring is just beautiful!! Enjoy it!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
Thanks dani! I love your ring too, and your wedding picture avatar is awesome!

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
DD, it''s gorgeous! I love that handshot, it looks HUGE, and the color is amazing. Congrats on finally getting exactly what you were hoping for!

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
prettyprettyprettyprettyprettyprettyprettyprettyprettyprettyprettyprettypretty

I like.
9.gif

The new trellis setting is so much more beautiful than the old one! Way to go and get what you wanted, that is a forever ring.

(and there is no such thing as picture overload. learn it, love it, live it!)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
selkie: thanks for the compliments!

mercoledi:
this might be a forever ring... I don't think I will change the setting again! I was thinking about getting a new sapphire, but it looks so much better in this setting that I may not change it after all! It is the stone my DH proposed with, and while I am not THAT sentimental, I am a little and would like to keep the original stone. That way I can get the RB I have been pining after sooner rather than later
2.gif

Another hand shot for perspective... the center stone is .92ct, sides are .50ct each, ring size 5.75. Wedding band is 2mm.

dreamersnewsetting10.jpg

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Worth being persistent! - gorgeous!!!!

sera

Ideal_Rock
I really love step cuts with blue sapphires... and I like the contrast all that metal creates with the blue. It looks great on your hand... very pretty!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IT turned out beautifully!
30.gif
You really made the right decision to ask for a new setting! The new ring is beautiful and will be a lovely right hand ring if you ever do decide to get a diamond for your e-ring finger.

pjean

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, that''s gorgeous. And it was definitely worth sticking up for yourself. You''ve inspired me - I''ve been dithering about whether to ask for changes to the wax our jeweler is having made, and your happy ending has convinced me. I want that sense of rightness too.

So thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results