shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me decide! Antique ruby and diamond cluster ring

cloud_less

Shiny_Rock
I spent a day at work yesterday and came home to find that the ring was no longer available. I'm still feeling a bit sad and need to vent ...

Before posting here I explicitly asked the vendor to hold the ring and they agreed. I trusted them and the thing that did not cross my mind was to put a deposit down on it. Lesson learned.

The listing was sitting on the second last page of the vendor's inventory. I posted pictures and it was easy enough to find the public listing. Another lesson learned.

I might be a "difficult customer", asking endless questions about the treatment of the ruby, sizes of the stones, hallmarks yada yada. Perhaps at one point the vendor just had enough and stopped responding.
i don’t know how I’d feel about the vendor using Burmese and “unheated” as a selling point with not much to back it up - but it’s not like the posted selling price is reflecting top-mid quality unheated Burmese.

that’s a different trust /knowledgeability factor to consider to a vendor and willingness to buy from them. Now or in the future.

their pansy ring, and a gypsy set ring, I feel quite similar to about!
@Rfisher if you are thinking about buying something from this vendor, my experience might be something to consider.

Sorry to be a downer:cry2:

Last edited:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've never had to put down a deposit to hold a gem. Every vendor I talked to and requested a hold, held it in reserve until our conversation is completed and I made my decision. Ofc I didn't hold it for more than a few days.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@cloud_less I have not had to put down a deposit for any of the vendors I've dealt with. They've always been happy to provide additional photos and given me 2-3 days to think about it. So don't beat yourself up about the deposit.

Unfortunately there are many lurkers on PS, some probably without accounts even so there's always a danger of posting photos and having someone else run off and nab what you want.

What I've learnt from PS is how easily people seem to be able to track down which vendor the photos came from.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I spent a day at work yesterday and came home to find that the ring was no longer available. I'm still feeling a bit sad and need to vent ...

Before posting here I explicitly asked the vendor to hold the ring and they agreed. I trusted them and the thing that did not cross my mind was to put a deposit down on it. Lesson learned.

The listing was sitting on the second last page of the vendor's inventory. I posted pictures and it was easy enough to find the public listing. Another lesson learned.

I might be a "difficult customer", asking endless questions about the treatment of the ruby, sizes of the stones, hallmarks yada yada. Perhaps at one point the vendor just had enough and stopped responding.

@Rfisher if you are thinking about buying something from this vendor, my experience might be something to consider.

Sorry to be a downer:cry2:

Oh- no
I did not mean I had any real interest in those two rings from the vendor - but I meant to convey to you I had the same amount of questions of listing descriptions facts on those two rings that I would also have of the ruby ring you were considering.

I am sorry if you are indeed regretting on not pouncing, and feeling sad in missing out.

Unfortunately there is no way to know if indeed it sold and whether it was due to someone seeing it discussed here - unless of course someone posts it here or elsewhere as their new bauble.

There is also indeed the possibility the vendor didn’t want the ‘hassle’ of being questioned, and possibility of being held responsible if you found some of their listing claims or answered questions to be inaccurate if you chose to send to a lab for a report. And the vendor simply pulled the listing and it’s easier to tell you it sold.
(Can I tell you I inquired about a vintage ruby ring from a vendor well known here that they stated treatment status but no lab info to back up. I asked them what would be the case if I bought it, then sent it to a lab for a report to verify what they claimed? The vendor replied ‘good question, I don’t know, I’ll have to think about it’ or something to that effect. I never heard back from that vendor with their decision. :| )
Vendors get alerted on threads about them here and I’m sure it’s not unheard of vendors to either read here themselves or even actively contribute incognito. Maybe they didn’t enjoy the discussion and felt it easier to bow out of the sale. Who knows.

Without knowing the vendors written policies on holding items - if indeed there is any. It’s hard to say what was ‘enough’ for a hold or if there was a miscommunication somewhere - some very well subscribe to money talks, period. It’s a valid belief - but should be in their policies or discussed by the vendor if you requested a hold with no funds.
If indeed they agreed to a sale to someone else while it was on an agreed verbal hold with you - well that really speaks volumes on that vendors honor. And the item for sale, the customer really has to have some belief in the vendors description to have some bit of honor in it?

Something else is out there for you.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As for recognizing which vendors photos are from
I don’t think I’m in a major minority who does recognize items especially on Etsy or commonly spoken about vendors.

I apologize to anyone that it creeps out.
Asking for any kind of imput on an item being considered for purchase without fully knowing what actually is being offered in the listing or other pertinent information about the vendor or their other items - leads to advice/opinions that’s trivial. IMO.

Maybe I’ll start asking OP’s if they want only positive affirmations before contributing to the threads.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think many of us can recognize vendors based on photos. But most folks who post regularly arent the type to buy from under anyone, so I suspect people who do that are those w.o accounts who lurk

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
What I've learnt from PS is how easily people seem to be able to track down which vendor the photos came from.

Well, to be honest, when the pictures posted are taken directly from the vendor page, reverse image search makes things incredibly easy.
I posted pictures and it was easy enough to find the public listing. Another lesson learned.

Very important lesson. Lurkers be lurkin'!
But seriously, this was clearly a case of at the very least miscommunication, if not even dishonesty. Don't know who the vendor is, maybe they had no ill intentions. But if I'm asking for something to be put on hold, I want to know for how long it will be kept for me and if there's a deposit requirement. And if this information isn't provided to me and then the item gets sold to someone else... Yeah, I wouldn't be happy about it at all.

Sometimes things are too difficult and not worth it in the end. Imagine if you had bought the ring and there was a problem with the purchase, the delivery, the stone coming up with a higher level of treatment from a lab, so on. In such a situation you want to have a stable and functional relationship with the person you're buying from. Without that solvable problems easily become disasters.

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
I’m so sorry that happened. It happened to me, but my vendor honored our agreement. I don’t know how to do reverse image search, but I know it’s a thing that can be done.

I will say that you are perhaps better off. Trust is the only thing a vendor has to offer that can be different from another one. This vendor turned out to not be trustworthy. How can you trust their description?

cloud_less

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all for your help and advice!!! I don't feel bad anymore, it's just not meant to be.

There is also indeed the possibility the vendor didn’t want the ‘hassle’ of being questioned, and possibility of being held responsible if you found some of their listing claims or answered questions to be inaccurate if you chose to send to a lab for a report. And the vendor simply pulled the listing and it’s easier to tell you it sold.
You are right, that might also be possible. It's very telling when the vendor just stopped communication while still adding new listings to the shop.

Sometimes things are too difficult and not worth it in the end. Imagine if you had bought the ring and there was a problem with the purchase, the delivery, the stone coming up with a higher level of treatment from a lab, so on. In such a situation you want to have a stable and functional relationship with the person you're buying from. Without that solvable problems easily become disasters.
I will say that you are perhaps better off. Trust is the only thing a vendor has to offer that can be different from another one. This vendor turned out to not be trustworthy. How can you trust their description?

So true!!! Shipping from another country, resizing, treatment of the ruby, so many things can go wrong in this case. Thank you for your perspective!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK now I can say it:

I think you dodged a bullet.

I was not crazy about this image -- there is a difference between "glowy" and translucent.

Screen Shot 2022-11-05 at 5.10.59 PM.png

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Oh lord, I feel like those OECs alone are worth the price!! Gorgeous. As far as the ruby goes, the color is quite lively. But I might keep browsing for better clarity (and one that is accompanied by a reputable lab report). Oh... as I was typing, I realized you mentioned the ring has sold. You'll find your perfect ruby, my friend. I don't think this was it. Good luck!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results