shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me chose which halo for my 3.15 marquise!

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, not sure what first option is but I had a ring sandblasted once. The matte finish scrapes off with wear. Few spots ate actually lines where it scraped something (wide band). Not sure of jewelers skillset. Just tossing out my experience with sandblasting. Hope others chime in GL

Updated: got it. Satin. Go for the one that is "deeper"...may last longer.

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Oops, sorry cinnamonstick, yes I meant satin! Thanks for decoding Niel!

CS, Are you saying your sandblasted ring wore off or satin? I'm not sure I follow

Do satin finishes not last long? He said sandblasted was a deeper finish, and satin would look like it was high polish but the finish just wore off. I like the rustic Etruscan look but am confused what to do. Can anyone with a DK satin finish ring comment on how long the finish lasts? Ahh! I also want something timelessness I won't get tired of..

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do believe my marquise setting was satin finish buti have it no longer. Maybe the buyer will comment on the condition, currently

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Therainbowradish,
And this is why I love PS!

Take this for what it is worth. 2 years ago I had a plain two tone ring I decided I wanted to make hammered and matte. Took it to a jeweler who hammered and sandblasted at the ring. 100% sure sandblasted (so he said). I'm not mixed up. First I heard of it and thought it sounded cool (image in my head).

I have only worn the ring maybe 5 or 6 times since. Two tone is not my thing. You can see the scratches that were made on the bottom of the ring as well as the top when I hit something w my hand. LOVE the look....afraid to wear it! This is why I commented to "go deep". Maybe brushing is better? Etching? Same thing?

Hope an expert chimes in for you. I'm curious also!

20150928_212930-1.jpg

20150928_212921-1.jpg

20150928_212900-1.jpg

20150928_212850-1.jpg

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Possible it was already hammered now that I think about it. 2000% he said he sandblasted the yellow gold. He described how he taped the other part, then sandblasted.

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
What to do what to do!! Here are some finishes I love. Of course the SingleStone Cori is a different shape but it is high polish with a wide band and a wide border around the stone and I have always admired it. I would never tire of it, truly... I can't believe this is the hold up, this decision shouldn't be that hard :wall:

]okr13090_1.jpg[/attachment]

okr13090_1.jpg

okr15064-side.jpg

_34681.jpg

screenshot_2015-09-27-12-58-39.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tell him you want the finish to look like Rebecca overman rings, he I'm sure can decide for you which finish will get that look :)

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Will I tire of that rustic finish though on such a large ring? Sometimes high polish looks cheap to me though lol. That's Cori though....yum. it is an entirely different look though.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do believe this is the one that is in the marquise I had made.

I think just like a polish finish, the first signs of wear in a matte finish will be more predominant but will become less noticeable as the ring ages

_34682.jpg

imag2246_2.jpg

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Therainbowdash ,
So feel your pain :( You are close to the finish line! Hang in there! Vendor may be able to provide input, as suggested. I can't comment much more other than what happened to my ring which was sort of frustrating.

The looks are amazing! So exciting to see the final product! I'm sure after hashing it out a little bit you'll find the right choice!

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Niel is that satin? Looks like a higher gold content too, was it 18 or 24? Mine is 18k. I keep looking at the rough cast pics and wonder whether I like it as is and if that finish will let the single cuts in the halo stand out? Or whether I should just high polish the dang thing. Why is this part so hard after everything I have been through? I asked if satin finish would look like high polish that had worn off and he said yes. But if I go satin finish won't it continue to look more satin over time? That's what I want I think.....? Ha! I have always loved the Cori ring though.

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Alright well after looking through all DK rings on facebook II am confident in my choice for a matte finish vs high polish. Now to figure out whether brushed, sandblasted or satin is the right choice. I just want my dang ring already lol the wait is torture.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
therainbowradish|1443498991|3933013 said:
Alright well after looking through all DK rings on facebook II am confident in my choice for a matte finish vs high polish. Now to figure out whether brushed, sandblasted or satin is the right choice. I just want my dang ring already lol the wait is torture.

I suspect it was 18k but I didnt go back to check. I know it wasn't 24.

He didn't ask me if I wanted one or the other lol. I said I wanted a matte look and that's what I got :lol:

Yes, I agree, after time I would imagine it would look similar to a worn fing that started off high polish.

Polish in gold isn't forever, whatever you start the polish at.

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
My tuppence worth I think you should high polish everything except the rim where the small diamonds sit that should be matt/satin finish

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Sphene|1443514424|3933048 said:
My tuppence worth I think you should high polish everything except the rim where the small diamonds sit that should be matt/satin finish

That's intesting! One more choice! I year ya about just wanting the dang ring and all these choices to be over! Hope u r recovering well.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results