shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me choose the best one in these 3 red spinels plz!

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
How do they look under flashlight? Thanks for the input.
Again, left to right
Capture+_2019-06-29-14-23-37.png
Capture+_2019-06-29-14-23-11.png Capture+_2019-06-29-14-22-45.png

There’s no way to tell the light spectrum of that torch. It could contain UV or it could not.

Red spinel tends to look orange under incandescent light and more red in daylight.

I would pass.

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
How do they look under flashlight? Thanks for the input.
Again, left to right
Capture+_2019-06-29-14-23-37.png
Capture+_2019-06-29-14-23-11.png Capture+_2019-06-29-14-22-45.png
The flashlight is mostly for looking at inclusions. Unless where you stay has the same kind of light

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A spinel that has strong UV fluorescence is not indicative of a fine spinel. It could still be brownish out of UV light. However, any fine spinel should also have strong UV fluorescence.

If I had to choose, I would pick the big cushion or the middle stone. I don’t think they’re bad color. For $5k/ct, you’re not going to get top color in a stone larger than 3 carats. There’s always the lucky fluke that maybe someone has a lower priced stone, but with the Asian market gobbling up red gems, irs unlikely.

As for the color, I like slightly pinkish red stones, no orange. Pure red is very rare without any noticeable pink or orange, at least to me. Pinkish secondary is more valuable than an orange secondary. My two cents.

Also, like everyone pretty much advised, get a reputable lab report.

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The finewater one looks a bit dark? Though it's super sparkle! The ring is too purple for me. The rubies are interested. I'll definitely take a closer look! Thank you!
I would ask finewater for a video, I'm sure he would be happy to provide one. My general point is that you can find better from a trusted vendor for less money .

Hahbowen

Rough_Rock
I would ask finewater for a video, I'm sure he would be happy to provide one. My general point is that you can find better from a trusted vendor for less money .
If a legit report is provided, what would be considered a good price for the left one 2.3cts? Thanks.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If a legit report is provided, what would be considered a good price for the left one 2.3cts? Thanks.
Ahh, for some reason I thought that was over three carats. I agree with the others then that $5k is too high for a translucent, under three carat spinel with moderately strong saturation. I think the cushion is pretty, but I wouldn’t go above $3k/ct.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it's a gia or ags report showing no treatment and there are better videos then maybe 4k? I don't know bc I haven't seen the stone in multiple lighting situations.

Hahbowen

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for your help!
At the end, I got the 2.3cts one for just under US$2000 with a local gem report. It's from one of the gemstone markets at Mandalay Myanmar from a reputable local seller.
Once i receive it, I'll send it to GIA for a report. I'll share some more pics when i get it. Thanks again everyone!

Last edited:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most gemstones look great under penlights it's a trick vendors use to sell stones..... Hopefully you like it when you get it.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
At the end, I got the 2.3cts one for just under US$2000 with a local gem report. It's from one of the gemstone markets at Mandalay Myanmar from a reputable local seller.
Once i receive it, I'll send it to GIA for a report. I'll share some more pics when i get it. Thanks again everyone!
Wait. The vendor went from 8k to 2k???? That is a massive red flag to me. If they were reputable or trustworthy they wouldn't pull that bullsh*t and woklc have started at a reasonable price.

Hahbowen

Rough_Rock
Wait. The vendor went from 8k to 2k???? That is a massive red flag to me. If they were reputable or trustworthy they wouldn't pull that bullsh*t and woklc have started at a reasonable price.
Haha it's very normal in these jade or gemstone markets in Myanmar. The seller tends to overprice their goods A LOT and you really need to work on the negotiation. They have some good stuffs there but cutting a good deal requires negotiation skills and luck:razz:.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the one you choose and for that price it would seem a good buy BUT just be aware that because of popularity, scarcity and current prices, there is a temptation to “improve” gems.
You definately want a lab report to rule out fissure filling whether by oil or other material, heat treatment is still uncommon with red Spinel but not unheard of.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Going down to 2k, that definitely seems suspicious, and I think you are taking a major risk, unless there is a return policy. I would expect the spinel to be clarity enhanced, not untreated.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My other biggest concern with red spinel, aside from treatment, is that it could be synthetic. I hope there are some identifying natural inclusions. Many years ago, I bought a. 1.8 ct Burmese reddish pink spinel on eBay, no lab report. I was so worried it was lab created, but I only paid $100 for it. Fortunately, under the loupe, it had a negative crystal inclusion, indicative of natural spinel. However, since then, I obtained lab reports for all my significant red spinels.

MamaBess

Rough_Rock
This is my spinel ring. 3 cts. I had my eye on this particular stone for 6 years. The price was just too high. The vendor kept bringing it back to me. I finally got it at a price I was willing to pay. I felt it was worth holding out for, but I know it is not perfect, so needed to get a better price. This stone spoke to me. There is no sense in buying something if you need to talk yourself into it. Buy the stone that speaks to you, just be sure you know all about that stone, and are willing to pay the price for what may not be exactly perfect. It is you who needs to be satisfied and pleased with your purchase. IMG_0057.JPG IMG_8840.JPG

MamaBess

Rough_Rock
As a frame of reference to my earlier post, this is my ruby ring. It is not a perfect ruby, it has flashes of magenta that are quite obvious. This is actually what I loved most about the stone, so I received it as a gift from my husband, who knew I just adored the flashes of color. Someone else would say "oh no! That stone is not a true red ruby". Oh well, it is the stone that speaks to me, so everyone else will need to get over it. I knew what I was buying, and got the price I was willing to pay, so I love this ring. DSCN0777.JPG

DauphineMucha

Shiny_Rock
@MamaBess Any chance you could please show us your ruby and spinel rings together? The spinel setting reminds me of Mirka Federer’s. She wears big bling to her husband’s games.

helphelp911

Rough_Rock

Congrats buying it from hua hua . Please post back when you receive it. It has a good color and size

MamaBess

Rough_Rock
@MamaBess Any chance you could please show us your ruby and spinel rings together? The spinel setting reminds me of Mirka Federer’s. She wears big bling to her husband’s games.

If you dont mind waiting a couple of days, they are in the bank. The ruby is considerably smaller, only 1 ct. From the moment I saw that ruby, I knew it was mine. It's all about what makes the wearer happy.

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Is spinel that much now. Wow. I was talking to a friend in Thailand and he was telling me Burma Red spinel of around 2 cts were wholesaling there for $2,000/ct.

DauphineMucha

Shiny_Rock
If you dont mind waiting a couple of days, they are in the bank. The ruby is considerably smaller, only 1 ct. From the moment I saw that ruby, I knew it was mine. It's all about what makes the wearer happy.

That makes me want to see it even more! Please start a new thread if needed! Can’t wait!!

Hahbowen

Rough_Rock
Just got a gem report for my spinel. It's certified by a local gem lab. Anyone has experience with this type of report? I'm quite happy that it's identified as classic red, though the cut is not ideal.
mmexport1562151099513~2.jpg

Hahbowen

Rough_Rock
Weak fluorescence?
It didn't mention what source of light, but under short wavelength, natural ones have weak or no fluorescence and synthetic ones have strong red/blue fluorescence? Or did i got it wrong? Other characteristics suggest natural spinel though.

Reactions: T L

Hahbowen

Rough_Rock
Congrats buying it from hua hua . Please post back when you receive it. It has a good color and size
Thanks! Hua hua is the best, very professional. Have you ever bought jade or gems through her before?

helphelp911

Rough_Rock
Thanks! Hua hua is the best, very professional. Have you ever bought jade or gems through her before?

Yes, i do. I recently bought a jadeite cab. It is in a process setting in a pendent by hua hua now

Hahbowen

Rough_Rock
mmexport1562388405581~2.jpg
This is a 3D rendering of my pendant in the making. Hopefully my spinel will show more brilliance after setting.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results