shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me choose the best one in these 3 red spinels plz!

Hahbowen

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone, this is my first post, glad to make new friends here. I'm currently looking to buy one of these red spinels. My preference is color > carat > inclusions > cut and shape.
Details:
- From left to right, 2.3 cts, 1.5 cts, 3cts
- All non heated, natural red spinel from Myanmar(according to seller)
Please advice me which one is the best in your opinion or tell me your favorite one! Thank you!
7.png 6.png 5.png

Reactions: AV_

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the smallest one in the middle for its colour, however, would need close up photos to assess the cut etc...

DK :))

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I started to write why I didn't prefer one, but you asked for a preference. That would be the middle one. Some of the issues could be the photos and/or the lighting, so maybe you could get videos and some more photos.

voce

Ideal_Rock
I think the middle one is the most attractive as well. Please make sure to get a lab report; Lotus if in Asia, and AGL or GIA in N America.

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I suggest you ask for photos with the stones on the hand. I have a red spinel. It looks quite different on a grey background, white background or a hand. It looks worst on white background. The one on the left seems to have the best colour. The one in the middle has the best transparency. All of them seem to have some reflection problem but has to see a video to be sure.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
None actually. The first 2 are cut flat with no culet presumably owing to flat rough limitation.

The third looks a tad oily like it has been handled and not wiped off.

Hahbowen

Rough_Rock
I suggest you ask for photos with the stones on the hand. I have a red spinel. It looks quite different on a grey background, white background or a hand. It looks worst on white background. The one on the left seems to have the best colour. The one in the middle has the best transparency. All of them seem to have some reflection problem but has to see a video to be sure.
Them on a model setting:
From left to right,
Capture+_2019-06-29-07-53-25.png Capture+_2019-06-29-07-47-12.png Capture+_2019-06-29-07-42-29.png

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do they come with a lab report? You need to find out of any have oil, or other treatments NOT heat.... red and hot pink Burma spinels can be oiled and filled with things like resins....

Hahbowen

Rough_Rock
Do they come with a lab report? You need to find out of any have oil, or other treatments NOT heat.... red and hot pink Burma spinels can be oiled and filled with things like resins....
They have lab reports but not GIA AGL lotus. I'm gonna request a report from those 3. It's asking $5000/ct, is it reasonable in pricing if it's certified to be untreated natural spinel?

Reactions: AV_

voce

Ideal_Rock
They have lab reports but not GIA AGL lotus. I'm gonna request a report from those 3. It's asking $5000/ct, is it reasonable in pricing if it's certified to be untreated natural spinel?
for 2+ carats, that price is fair, but the smaller one should be priced a little less, like $3000/ct

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The 1.50 carat one should be way less than that, but yes they increase dramatically in price according to size.

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
$5000 per carat is high for me. Maybe this is the price they sell at the store. At Tucson, a beautiful 1.0xct red spinel I have seen is around $2700. At nomads, all the one carat red spinels are over $5000

Hahbowen

Rough_Rock
The 1.50 carat one should be way less than that, but yes they increase dramatically in price according to size.
The 1.5 cts one is almost flawless though with only a few feathers inside.

voce

Ideal_Rock
The 1.5 cts one is almost flawless though with only a few feathers inside.
Feathers mean not flawless. Don't let the vendor fool you. Feathers interrupt the path of light, leading to poorer light return and less brilliancy.

Please tell me you've seen pictures of the stones in direct sunlight. A red spinel that's worth it will only look better, whereas direct sunlight will expose inclusions. I once beheld a ruby that looked perfect indoors but didn't photograph well outdoors because of the inclusions. That's a deal breaker for me.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Red spinel prices are exceedingly high these days. I’ve seen prices as high as tens of thousands per carat depending on the quality. I actually think $5k/ct is in line with what I’ve seen, even on stones less than 2 carats.

By the way, are the stones sleepy or hazy looking due to microscopic silk? The smallest one looks very sleepy. You don’t want stones too sleepy as they can be more translucent than transparent. A little silk is fine.

Hahbowen

Rough_Rock
Red spinel prices are exceedingly high these days. I’ve seen prices as high as tens of thousands per carat depending on the quality. I actually think $5k/ct is in line with what I’ve seen, even on stones less than 2 carats.

By the way, are the stones sleepy or hazy looking due to microscopic silk? The smallest one looks very sleepy. You don’t want stones too sleepy as they can be more translucent than transparent. A little silk is fine.
Thanks a lot for your valuable input. Could you please show me an example of not sleepy red spinel? I have no idea what to look. Thanks!

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The mine permits have expired for the gem mines in Burma and none are expected to be auctioned off until next year or even later.

This has led to a price explosion in the local market and probably for Burmese stock overseas too.

No. These are not ideal cut nor extremely sparkly from the photos so imho do not warrant us5k/ct.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A6A290F3-291A-442E-B15D-EAD8BD91B08C.jpeg
I’ve seen huge price increases on sleepy spinels too. It’s getting like rubies, even sleepy stones are high priced. I think a little silk is a good thing actually, as long as there’s still sparkle. This spinel has a tiny bit of silk, but it does not impede transparency. It actually helps reduce extinction. You just don’t want translucent stones.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think any of these stones are worth 5k/carat. You can find better and brighter red spinels for less per carat. But they won't be large, since the really vivid ones are often smaller stones

Hahbowen

Rough_Rock
I don't think any of these stones are worth 5k/carat. You can find better and brighter red spinels for less per carat. But they won't be large, since the really vivid ones are often smaller stones
I wanted a ~2cts for pendant center stone, so 1 ct is a bit small. It's just very very for a stone to be perfect in both color and size... I wouldn't be able to afford even i could find one...

Hahbowen

Rough_Rock
The mine permits have expired for the gem mines in Burma and none are expected to be auctioned off until next year or even later.

This has led to a price explosion in the local market and probably for Burmese stock overseas too.

No. These are not ideal cut nor extremely sparkly from the photos so imho do not warrant us5k/ct.
I'm currently negotiating the price. I'm choosing the one to the left for us$8000 or ~$3500/ct. Good deal or not? Thanks for the input!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The one to the right, the oval, is my least favorite. Too brown. It’s also translucent, too sleepy.

Hahbowen

Rough_Rock
The one to the right, the oval, is my least favorite. Too brown. It’s also translucent, too sleepy.
Sorry my mistake. I meant to the left.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm currently negotiating the price. I'm choosing the one to the left for us$8000 or ~$3500/ct. Good deal or not? Thanks for the input!
I wouldn't consider paying that much for something that isn't perfect. 8k is a TON of money

Hahbowen

Rough_Rock
Feathers mean not flawless. Don't let the vendor fool you. Feathers interrupt the path of light, leading to poorer light return and less brilliancy.

Please tell me you've seen pictures of the stones in direct sunlight. A red spinel that's worth it will only look better, whereas direct sunlight will expose inclusions. I once beheld a ruby that looked perfect indoors but didn't photograph well outdoors because of the inclusions. That's a deal breaker for me.
How do they look under flashlight? Thanks for the input.
Again, left to right
Capture+_2019-06-29-14-23-37.png
Capture+_2019-06-29-14-23-11.png Capture+_2019-06-29-14-22-45.png

Hahbowen

Rough_Rock

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
Honestly I would not buy any of these, they look too muddy and brownish. Also, no solid report for that sort of price is a bad idea anyway.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results