shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me build a rainbow skittle stack - what are your favorite gems of each color?

polarisfire

Rough_Rock
Hi out there, :wavey:

This is a thread for everyone to post their favorite gem/shade of that gem in each color family - assuming you'd be setting into a ring (more durable is better).

I just got into colored gems, still learning, and I love neon/saturated colors, so naturally I want one of everything, haha. But I'm not in a place where I can afford honkin' gems so I'm planning to start by slowly build a collection of the small and mighty in solitaire stacking rings. (I don't know where I read the term first but it might have been on instagram, but I want a "skittle stack.") My bday was this month, so I'm starting by getting a reddish pink burma spinel in 3mm round from Yvonne at Cecile Raley. (Shoutout to all the nice reviews on PS!)

I don't plan on having them all be round stones or even exactly the same size, I just want to get really nice specimens of every gem. I was inspired by the following stacks by Gurhan (and you need stacks on stacks to get these stacks :$$)::$$)::$$):):

37393396_10155751081996985_8237932803430285312_n.jpg 45097c7db46bf528dd9a933e3c2ca0ad.jpg

Other colors I got in my sights are:
- Highlighter yellow green like this emoji: maybe Mali Garnet? Chrysoberyl?
- Bright green: Yvonne suggested Russian Demantoid
- Neon Teal: Brazil Paraiba (gotta save up for this one, even if it is small)
- Neon Cobalt: Cobalt Spinel, maybe hauyne but I'm afraid it won't be durable enough?
- Magenta/Purple ??
- Orange: (Spessartite?)
- Coral: Padparadscha
- Alexandrite because they're teal and change color

ALSO: do you think this kind of eclectic stack of rings would look better in a yellow gold or white gold?
I have traditionally leaned towards yellow on myself with non gem jewelry but I don't know if the yellow would compete too much with the colors.

Thankkkkss :rodent:

PieAreSquared

Shiny_Rock
Love your idea! I personally prefer yellow gold over all metals, it's a classic and warms up every color.
For magenta/purple what about a rhodolite or grape garnet?

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well for a coral color I would go for... this is going to be shocking... coral. Nothing like actual coral to give you an excellent pop of coral.

I wouldn't be worried about hauyne in a stacking ring... at that size/price point you can replace it, especially if you get it in a less-expensive metal.

example: https://www.etsy.com/listing/629817152/rare-hauyne-14k-gold-filled-electric

voce

Ideal_Rock
Another vote for yellow gold and coral for coral. Also, jade for bright green. Just don't know who sells itty bitty jade pieces. Gem silica for neon teal. It doesn't sparkle, but it can glow just as much as paraiba tourmaline imo.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
9878A224-9551-4F06-8FB4-5EBFB06C1F3D.jpeg In place of hauyne, you can use neon apatite like this color. Hauyne is just too tiny to find in a size large enough for a stacker. Apatite is a bit soft, but it’s affirdable and comes in larger sizes.

leslie1956

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love stacking rings and own several from CRD. Another metal option might be rose gold. Blue and green gems really pop when set in RG.

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you like orange, check out fire opal. Not the most durable or sparkly, but comes in amazing oranges.

IcePhoenix

Shiny_Rock
There's a seller on IG (billy_gem_collection) that sells rainbow like sets both cabochon and faceted, he also listed purple apatite cabochon (lilac colour, very nice). Never bought from him but from the stories he sells custom created parcels as well so I'd give it a look

In place of padparascha sapphire you could maybe use malaya garnet in an orangy-pink colour, it should be more affordable but less hard of course. Tsavorite could be a nice green colour and various shades of pink/purple could be given by garnets, amethyst and spinel.
Ever thought about opal rings (not super durable) or some cat's eye stones?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fire opal for orange.

DK :))

Reactions: T L

polarisfire

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for all the suggestions! *taking notes* *ooo fire opal orange and Malaya garnets*
I do prefer the “sparkly” gems over the opaque ones like real coral, but I forgot coral was coral lol. Good idea

I think I’m decided on yellow gold now and I’ve got first set of shades of lime and yellow starting with CRD: tsavorite, chrysoberyl, and demantoid. Will update when I get em.

polarisfire

Rough_Rock
Just got my first stackers from CRD and they’re so bright and happy! Burma spinel, Russian demantoid, and tsavorite (the darker green). All approx 3mm. I think I “need” some other shapes and slightly different sizes next... =)2

Here are some non-optimal light pictures:

DCDEB9BD-A1CE-4708-A25A-7AC76BEA06D4.jpeg
196042B2-FB63-4189-A547-05993B51DFF1.jpeg

I stacked the greens with my bigger pink spinel ring for kicks and it looks like a watermelon party :mrgreen2:

C906C678-8A49-433E-B211-B5F7D9E63105.jpeg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
very very pretty
im really looking forward to watching this look develop
and you know that criss cross (sorry don't know what they are called) is very complimentary to the overall look
and i don't think you can completly bling one finger out with every colour of the rainbow and leave every other finger bare

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! Love your stacks! Gorgeous colours. Looking forward to see more pics and would love to see how your collection unfolds. I love these elegant stackers!

IcePhoenix

Shiny_Rock
Lovely little rings, maybe the princess or square cut. I like the idea of hexagonal shaped gemstones as well, but I don't know if you can find them in 3-4 mm size.
Baguette cut and marquise cut (one of my faves) could be nice for a nice spin on a classic look, again maybe harder to find stones in melee or near melee size

Possible inspiration

download.jpg
61xzVGmhdIL._SY500_.jpg 51000275-silver-stacking-rings-with-marquise-cut-peridot-and-aquamarine-in-18ct-gold_web.jpg.jpg
download.jpg

voce

Ideal_Rock
Your stackers are amazing, beautiful and versatile. They look great next to your spinel. Congratulations!

polarisfire

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for the compliments and inspo pics~

I figure I could even go up to 5-6 mm later and mix up the sizes too for that eclectic look. I added some more skinny spacer rings today for more balance on finger coverage. Im really digging the color-by-mood options with stacker rings.

17479356-17E2-4E60-9592-B1BB7860B2BF.jpeg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful rings. Stones that have beautiful color stand out no matter the size!!!

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Love your stackers :love: . They look fantastic with your bands and your spinel!

leslie1956

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone for the compliments and inspo pics~

I figure I could even go up to 5-6 mm later and mix up the sizes too for that eclectic look. I added some more skinny spacer rings today for more balance on finger coverage. Im really digging the color-by-mood options with stacker rings.

17479356-17E2-4E60-9592-B1BB7860B2BF.jpeg

I love your stackers, the colors are gorgeous! I have CRD stackers in WG and RG, they tend to be addictive :)

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love your new stackers!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results