shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP!!! Just started on buying first diamond....

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
msop04|1468719273|4056223 said:
Of all the settings mentioned, I especially love the Simon G in rose gold with an oval or MQ. It's extremely affordable, gives a big look, and is different without being scary/risky.

I agree MSOP. I think that's a perfect fit for her.

Neil, it is an option, as you say. I just think that if he's going to go that route a pear would be best as that is her favorite shape. So if the setting is risky at least she'll love the pear.

That said if she's just going to reset the thing then the 900 is wasted and he's best off buying the stone and save up for a setting in November.

tduenas4520

Rough_Rock
As she narrowed down her list, and upon the great advise you have all given me, I really love that rose gold Simon G. I did not at first, but with what I am learning about her ring styles, that ring with a Oval would be STUNNING.

Gypsy, I agree with you, I may need to wait a little while and see if I can afford a bit more. When I began this journey, 5K was what I was after. I did not like any of the options at that rate, so I bumped up to 6. Now it looks I may have to bump up a little more, but at some point I know I have to stop, but she is my love, and this is a forever purchase. I want, nay, I need it to be perfect, and you are helping be achieve that. I greatly appreciate it.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
tduenas4520|1468719905|4056225 said:
As she narrowed down her list, and upon the great advise you have all given me, I really love that rose gold Simon G. I did not at first, but with what I am learning about her ring styles, that ring with a Oval would be STUNNING.

Gypsy, I agree with you, I may need to wait a little while and see if I can afford a bit more. When I began this journey, 5K was what I was after. I did not like any of the options at that rate, so I bumped up to 6. Now it looks I may have to bump up a little more, but at some point I know I have to stop, but she is my love, and this is a forever purchase. I want, nay, I need it to be perfect, and you are helping be achieve that. I greatly appreciate it.

Yeah. I REALLY REALLY hate telling people to raise their budgets. But in your case: that setting should be about 2k for an oval. I think 5200 is a good stone budget for an oval. So you need another 1200 or so. You can buy the oval now and save up, or just keep an eye out for the perfect stone and snatch it up when you can. That 5200 D oval I posted is a potential knock out though. Worth asking for an ASET.

Then worry about the setting down the line.

What metro area are you in?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I look at her pins I don't see a lot of floral or curly qs and you said she doesn't like halos unless they are very tight.

It's a perfectly fine setting but I just don't see any connection. Bit you know your girlfriend best :)

tduenas4520

Rough_Rock
Niel, the opposite, she dislikes the halos that are very tight. What I believe she meant is that she does not like halos that look like they are attempting to make the stone larger as a whole. If one can easily distinguish the "halo", or it's separated, it looks OK.

None of the rings look like the ones on her pinterest, that is correct. But the antique ones she picked are very "loud" and a couple even looked like squids with all the lines and curves they had.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tduenas4520|1468721884|4056231 said:
Niel, the opposite, she dislikes the halos that are very tight. What I believe she meant is that she does not like halos that look like they are attempting to make the stone larger as a whole. If one can easily distinguish the "halo", or it's separated, it looks OK.

None of the rings look like the ones on her pinterest, that is correct. But the antique ones she picked are very "loud" and a couple even looked like squids with all the lines and curves they had.

Well sounds perfect then

tduenas4520

Rough_Rock
I was told that anything above the "1.0 ct" mark, raises the prices on stones substantially.

What if we go with a .95+ stone. That way we end up with an very different ring, with a great, moderately priced Oval Cut that did not quite make the "1.0ct" mark, which makes diamond prices go through the roof?

Viable option?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I posted a beautiful .96 for you right at th start. I put an emoji next to it and everything. You completely ignored it. Go back to the start of the thread. We know all the tricks to helping people with tight budgets. You just didn't listen because you has 1.25 in your head.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You being in LA is great news. Go on Simon G website find all retailers and start calling them asking for quotes of that setting in whatever color metal you want for a one carat oval (in ovals .96 and o one carat is negligible in terms of size). Get lowest price locked in, buy an oval and get th thing set. Be firm about an outside stone you will bring in and make sure that any setting fee for the outside stone is capped at no more than 100 bucks. Buy a stone, insure it through jewels mutual then tell the setting jeweler the dimensions of the stone off the lab report, have them order the setting, then have the stone set by them.

Okay?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
And don't take this the wrong way but your lady seems the type who would want a stone over the carat mark. You might want to find a way to check that she isn't going to feel dissatisfied with a stone that is less than a carat.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
tduenas4520|1468723766|4056235 said:
I was told that anything above the "1.0 ct" mark, raises the prices on stones substantially.

What if we go with a .95+ stone. That way we end up with an very different ring, with a great, moderately priced Oval Cut that did not quite make the "1.0ct" mark, which makes diamond prices go through the roof?

Viable option?
Also, while this is true in "populat" shapes: round brilliant princess and cushions, lucky for you ovals and especially pears are already significantly discounted so its not as true with thwm.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1468745058|4056288 said:
Here's another possible unicorn: https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/1.01-carat-f-color-si1-clarity-sku-829590

Let me see the if I can find a setting for it.
Okay so that stone leaves you witha 2,000 setting budget.

Here's my suggestion: David Klass is a custom jeweler many PSers use. He's in LA. Iwould give him a call and see if he can come up with a 2,000 setting based off this one on her Pinterest account. That would bring you in right at budget and give you a very large center stone.

Modifying the setting so there is no pave on the white part of the shank at all would bring it into affordable territory. And it would give her exactly the look off her Pinterest account.

_4811.jpeg

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tduenas4520|1468721884|4056231 said:

So, it sounds like she likes airline halos... What about something like this, only made to fit an oval and in rose gold?? It'll give a TON of finger coverage and be different from all the other tight halos she's seen.

airline_halo_with_plain_shank.jpg

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's a photo I found that looks to be an oval in a similar airline halo... It would be cool in rose gold or white metal. :love:

Edit: I believe it's a round, but the photo makes it look like a lovely fat oval... just thought I'd post for a visual. :halo:

oval_airline_halo.png

Here is a sweet setting with a bezeled pear... in case you're still considering pears. 8) The bezel will add a little more finger coverage too...

bezeled_pear.jpg

This is one of my favorite airline settings... with some creativity, I believe it could be made to fit an oval. I really LOVE this ring, and I've only seen it on PS, never IRL. It's just perfect to me. :love:

bezel_airline_halo_0.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's another possible unicorn: https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/1.01-carat-f-color-si1-clarity-sku-829590

I'm really liking that pear...

What do you think of this setting? The shape reminds me of the ballerina type rings she has pinned. It has a vintage feel. I think
it is lovely in pink gold. It does have somewhat of a "halo" but it is not your classic halo to make the stone look bigger. Good finger
coverage north/south and east/west. AND, it's less than $2k for a pretty nice look! Click on the movie on the web page and you can
see a "real" version of the ring spinning.

https://www.josephjewelry.com/engagement-rings/custom-rose-gold-and-diamond-engagement-ring-102806

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tyty333 said:

What do you think of this setting? The shape reminds me of the ballerina type rings she has pinned. It has a vintage feel. I think
it is lovely in pink gold. It does have somewhat of a "halo" but it is not your classic halo to make the stone look bigger. Good finger
coverage north/south and east/west. AND, it's less than $2k for a pretty nice look! Click on the movie on the web page and you can

https://www.josephjewelry.com/engagement-rings/custom-rose-gold-and-diamond-engagement-ring-102806

Ugh!! I LOVE that setting! DK did one similar, but I couldn't find it... To me, that's perfect! [emoji7][emoji7]

I alway forget about Joseph Jewelry, but they have some pretty settings.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, and this setting with a pear definitely gives her something "different" that not everyone else has. A pear gives you a bigger
look for your dollar, plus it is different but still quite lovely.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tyty333 said:
Yes, and this setting with a pear definitely gives her something "different" that not everyone else has. A pear gives you a bigger
look for your dollar, plus it is different but still quite lovely.

Agreed! I never see pears, and I certainly never see that type setting. Win-Win!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tyty333|1468769542|4056341 said:

This combo is just perfection to my eye! Especially given her pinterest account and the vintage feel but still having good finger coverage. Beautiful!

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
You're in good hands here. I apologize if you answered this already but can you go with your gf and get her to try on ring styles and stone shapes? I thought I wanted an oval until I tried it on and didn't like it. Being in LA there are so many great places to have fun and try things on together. Just narrow down the field a bit, it can still be a surprise. What she likes on Pinterest may not translate well in person.

tduenas4520

Rough_Rock
I believe we found a winner. That Joseph is perfect with a pear. ....

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tduenas4520 said:
I believe we found a winner. That Joseph is perfect with a pear. ....

Yay!!!! [emoji322][emoji322][emoji322][emoji322][emoji322]

I can't WAIT to see this ring! OP, I hope you've put that pear on hold...

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
msop04|1468769644|4056343 said:
tyty333 said:

Ugh!! I LOVE that setting! DK did one similar, but I couldn't find it... To me, that's perfect! [emoji7][emoji7]

I alway forget about Joseph Jewelry, but they have some pretty settings.
Msop04 yes! Nkotb's ring by David Klass.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/antique-pear-in-scalloped-halo.223520/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/antique-pear-in-scalloped-halo.223520/[/URL]

OP DK is in LA, too, according to Google!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh good! Definitely put that pear on hold. Stones getting stolen...less so because it's a pear but dont want to take a chance.

Edit...I know that DK could do this setting, no problem, but at $2k I think I would go straight to JJ. I'm not sure how much
cheaper DK could make it (maybe slightly) but then you have to go through the effort of making sure the CADS are correct, etc.
Could be worth getting a quote from him though.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results