shape
carat
color
clarity

[HELP] is this good for the e-ring?

Pak tai Cheng

Rough_Rock
Hi guys,

would you please help me to review the quality of below ring? seems that the surface graining is quite serious...The price is US$5,900!

51647B29-8D0D-480C-887D-ADA196EAF1DB.jpeg
6C48A5C7-B150-48AD-AC7B-DA625EBD40DB.jpeg

thank you very much!

Reactions: AV_

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I am guessing www that the proportions of the cut work, so this must be a bright stone (I find this difficult to read in a back lit photograph, although it must be possible to think through the unusual lighting; nts.) There is a clear pattern of reflections, as expected from Ex symmetry (if not quite to be taken for granted.)

D/E SI is an appealing combination to me, with the respective clarity characteristics to be discussed. I can hardly see the feather in the picture & wonder what it might be like in common lighting of course; else, it seems to be contained within the diamond which is what I prefer, unless you can feel it reaching the surface at the edge of the table.

The one thing I would wish to see & it will likely never be possible through photos, is the extent of the 'Surface graining' mentioned in the report. The feather is not large enough to account for the SI2 clrity grade, with it alone, I would expect the stone to be graded SI1, so the reminder is due to the graining that was too faint and extensive to plot, therefore mentioned as a 'comment'.

All in all, I like the stone & hate the picture - it only shows, to some degree, the pleasing, well defined pattern of reflections (optical symmetry), but hides inclusions almost entirely & says nothing about brilliance; this diamond will never be seen this way again - the lighting is beyond frustrating.

Last edited:

Pak tai Cheng

Rough_Rock
I am guessing www that the proportions of the cut work, so this must be a bright stone (I find this difficult to read in a back lit photograph, although it must be possible to think through the unusual lighting; nts.) There is a clear pattern of reflections, as expected from Ex symmetry (if not quite to be taken for granted.)

D/E SI is an appealing combination to me, with the respective clarity characteristics to be discussed. I can hardly see the feather in the picture & wonder what it might be like in common lighting of course; else, it seems to be contained within the diamond which is what I prefer, unless you can feel it reaching the surface at the edge of the table.

The one thing I would wish to see & it will likely never be possible through photos, is the extent of the 'Surface graining' mentioned in the report. The feather is not large enough to account for the SI2 clrity grade, with it alone, I would expect the stone to be graded SI1, so the reminder is due to the graining that was too faint and extensive to plot, therefore mentioned as a 'comment'.

All in all, I like the stone & hate the picture - it only shows, to some degree, the pleasing, well defined pattern of reflections (optical symmetry), but hides inclusions almost entirely & says nothing about brilliance; this diamond will never be seen this way again - the lighting is beyond frustrating.

thanks so much for your professionalism! do you think it is a fair price?

Reactions: AV_

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The picture is not very helpful, and the lighting is bad. I would be cautious of an SI2. Can you get other pictures?

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
SI2 doesn’t worry me (personal preference, but due diligence is required) and especially by looking at the plot BUT I’m no expert and agree with @AV_ post.

How does it look in regular lighting outside a store? Eye clean? Return policy? The stone looks like it may have potential.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
@Pak tai Cheng You can call GIA and they can give your more info on the clarity grading. They have notes on the stones they grade that aren't put on the report. You definitely should do that because it is questionable why it would get a grade of SI2 with such a clean plot and clean table. As others mentioned, the surface graining would seem like the only reason for it to be an SI2. Definitely give them a call on Monday.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@Pak tai Cheng [I am not a professional]

Regarding the price,

A quick search for D/E, IF-VS2 >1 carat, <$5900 finds 1001 listings in the database here (inventory available to several sellers who aggregate such information on this forum); I have not looked at their other characteristics - it'd take a good hour.

2p

One such item: D VS1 www

Last edited:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One such item: D VS1 www

I would be concerned with this one. The 41.4 pavilion is a bit too steep, and will likely have leakage.

6203892690.png

Cut Advisor Score 4.5
FactorGrade
Light Return:Good
Fire:Good
Scintillation:Good
Spread:Very Good
HCA Score :4.5 - Good - Only if price is your main criterion
Looks Like size Beta
lls-average.png

For more info
Probably doesn't sparkle much, but looks bigger than usual for its carat weight.
Diamond Stats
Carat:1.01
Depth:62.2
Table:57
Crown:34

Pavillion:41.4
Symmetry:Excellent
Measurements:6.40x6.44x3.99
GIA/AGS report # :

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This one is much more promising, and basically the same price -- $5,967.

55 table, 62.5 depth, 34.5 crown, 40.8 & 75 LGF

The small table and proportions are extremely promising, and should provide for a nice firey stone.

It does have medium blue fluor, so you need to verify with the vendor if there is any ill effects such as cloudy or hazy issues. The video does not reveal anything that concerns me, but obviously looking at the stone in-person is preferred.

Also, it's a clean VS2. Has a clear crystal on the table, but nothing that is worrisome and willl be eye clean.

I vastly prefer this over the SI2 stone originally mentioned.

Obviously I would ask the vendor if you can get an ASET or idealscope (IS) image to help provide further confirmation of the performance, but this one is worth a gamble IMO.

Cut Advisor Score 1.3
FactorGrade
Light Return:Excellent
Fire:Excellent
Scintillation:Excellent
Spread:Very Good
HCA Score :1.3 - Excellent - within TIC range
Looks Like size Beta
lls-average.png

For more info
Should sparkle beautifully and looks the usual size for its carat weight. Confirm with an Ideal-scope, ASET scope or send to an appraiser.
Diamond Stats
Carat:1.07
Depth:62.5
Table:55
Crown:34.5
Pavillion:40.8
Symmetry:Excellent
Measurements:6.52x6.55x4.09
GIA/AGS report # :6207633603

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results