carat
color
clarity

HELP!!! Is this diamond good or bad?

nimdomin

Rough_Rock
It is H 1.01 3EX H&A

i know nothing on diamond. I just see the black spot under len on the table

I want to know if feather and indented natural is bad on this diamond or not. thanks!

2011-06-17_123016.jpg

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I would be more concerned about the proportions. Have you seen this diamond in person? What is the clarity grade?

nimdomin

Rough_Rock
Yes, i saw it. it is SI1 only. I'm not rich enough to buy a better one/ Thnaks!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
could you see the inclusion without the loupe?

there is nothing wrong with SI1 but some are cleaner than others

ETA what is your budget? I think you could certainly get a diamond with better proportions. Can you get an idealscope image of the diamond? that would tell more.

nimdomin

Rough_Rock
Actually, I want to know the definition of all inclusions,

feather is real feather inside the diamond?!
cloud means?
crystal - i can somehow understand that it has another crystal material inside it
indented natural?! i really dont have any idea
twining wisp?! hard to get its meaning.

which inclusions should be most important? thanks

nimdomin

Rough_Rock
actually, it may be hard for me to see the spot with naked eyes. Maybe you are expert that you can see through it.

proportions means? you mean this diamond size proportion is of big problem?

that indented natural will cause structural issue? easy to crack?

nimdomin

Rough_Rock
closer view is attached

2011-06-17_130908.jpg

slg47

Ideal_Rock
nimdomin|1308287427|2948137 said:
actually, it may be hard for me to see the spot with naked eyes. Maybe you are expert that you can see through it.

well if you cannot see it with the naked eye then I don't see any problems. make sure you examine it in different lighting and from different angles to make sure.

the reason I mention proportions is that it scores low on the HCA (holloway cut advisor) likely due to steep pavilion angle. If you had an idealscope image that would tell more about the light return of the diamond.

as far as inclusions, here is some reading
http://www.niceice.com/diamond_clarity_characteristics.htm

nimdomin

Rough_Rock
oic. thank you so much

i just have a measurement of 6.44-6.47 x 3.99mm, does it help you better? thanks

closer view of proportion is attached. thanks again

2011-06-17_132953.jpg

nimdomin

Rough_Rock
and i know this black spot is in the middle level, not on the surface....so is it better? thanks

slg47

Ideal_Rock
you can use the HCA here

pricescope.com/tools/hca

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
nimdomin|1308287427|2948137 said:

the bottom half is a little too deep at 44%

nimdomin

Rough_Rock
the bottom half is a little too deep at 44% --- what bad it is? thansk

nimdomin

Rough_Rock
slg47: its depth should be 61.8%, right?

attached is the result. can you give comments? i know nothing about it.

2011-06-17_134807.jpg

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
nimdomin|1308289370|2948160 said:
the bottom half is a little too deep at 44% --- what bad it is? thansk
you lose some diameter b/c of the depth,most well cut stones are near 43%,plus the girdle is unfinished.

nimdomin

Rough_Rock
oic, i just lose size aspect, right?

any adverse effect on its fire or light reflection?

it is 3ex cut diamond.

nimdomin

Rough_Rock
honestly, i consider it because it seems clean with no many inclusion in the report.

but after HCA, it seems so bad performance. is HCA reliable? its HCA rate is very bad...only4.8 ..seem bad diamond....:(

nimdomin

Rough_Rock
Dancing fire, this diamond is with 6.44-6.47 size. is this acceptable size of 1.01 ct diamond? is it really smaller in diameter due to 44% depth? thanks

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is a GIA Ex cut grade you said?

Inclusions are not all that important with a reliably graded SI1 like this, all that really matters is that you cannot see them with your naked eyes!

What matters is the angles to which the stone is cut, its proportions, because that determines sparkle and shine and all those good things.

This diamond is well cut as far as the industry norms go. You did well to select a diamond that is in the Ex cut grade with GIA (if that is true). But the GIA Ex cut grade is fairly broad, and for some/many on PS we want stones cut to more exating standards - -the HCA helps identify those diamonds. Scroes under 2 are considered good, over 2 is consdiered less desirable.

Do you want a stone cut to more exacting standards? Up to you to decide. Have you seen this stone in person and do you like it? Have you compared it to some other diamonds in the GIA Ex cut grade and decided that this is the one that appeals to your eyes the most? Have you considered asking to see another diamond that is GIA Ex and also scores under 2 on the HCA, to see if you prefer that type of diamond to this one? All things to consider.

What is the price of the stone?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
nimdomin|1308293025|2948173 said:
Dancing fire, this diamond is with 6.44-6.47 size. is this acceptable size of 1.01 ct diamond? is it really smaller in diameter due to 44% depth? thanks

The diameter is fine. The issue is that the angles of the crown and pavilion are not the most complimentary, again by certain strict standards. I would personally look for a more ideally proportioned stone unless this one was a very good price and I had compared to many others and preferred the look of this one.

nimdomin

Rough_Rock
Dreamer, it is GIA 3 EX diamond.

i feel it is ok good when compared with other similar price stones. maybe i am not expert. cant see the difference. i just worry i see wrong.

now ,i may consider to see other H SI2 3 Ex stone with HCA below 2 ....

it seems so confused to choose stone.....really a hard job for me....:(

this stone is about 6300USD, is it expensive?

nimdomin

Rough_Rock
so u reject this stone. then what proportion should be best? any reference? thanks

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
The price seems very good, comparable or lower than online stones of similar specs. I am not telling YOU to reject this stone, just make sure you are making an informed choice by comparing it to other options.

I would look for a stone that scores below 2 on the HCA and is also a GIA Ex, then compare with this one. It should not cost anymore since the HCA does not determine price 8) So your jeweler should be able to find you comparables for this one. Were you able to look at 3-5 GIA Ex stones to compare? You should have some choice in your search.

I would not go with an SI2 personally.

Here is a rough guide to narrow the field and locate GIA Ex stones to consider, though this is only a rough guide, the combination of all the angles is what creates the best cut, not any one number:

Table: 54-58

Crown angle: 34.0-35.0

Pavilion angle: 40.6-41.0

Girdle should be thin, medium, or slightly thick (avoid very thin or thick)

Only look at stones that are graded GIA Excellent.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
nimdomin|1308293666|2948177 said:
i feel it is ok good when compared with other similar price stones. maybe i am not expert. cant see the difference. i just worry i see wrong.

Don't compare it to similarly priced stones -- what if all those were badly cut? Compare it to other GIA Ex with different proportions, for example scoring under 2 on the HCA. If they cost more, still look at them. THEN you can decide if the lesser price of this one, for example, is worth a potential tradeoff in cut quality. See? If you like the appearance of better cut or more expensive stones, you might consider looking for a slightly smaller diamond to get the cut you want for the price you want. That is what making an informed decision is all about.

NOTE: If this is being sold as an H&A diamond then the vendor needs to supply images of the hearts and arrows for you to verify it meets that label, since that label commands a price premium. This diamond is not priced like a true H&A, so I doubt it really is, but this is still something you should ask about. Don't take the label on faith as it costs money and must be verified.

nimdomin

Rough_Rock
HCA low rate means what bad???

i dont know why i feel this stone is sparking, is my eye with problem? low HCA rate means the stone is not sparkling, not good fire....??! any exception?

feel troblue on this stone then....sigh

nimdomin

Rough_Rock
i tried to see the H&A...i can see it really, but just one bad is the centre white circle is a bit big and the arrows seems thick....

i have no idea what heart and arrow is good

also, it has one more bad that is the black spot in the middle level....i can see it on top of one arrow head (maybe due to reflection) even by the lens of seeing H&A

do u have any idea abt it? thanks

nimdomin

Rough_Rock
how about the ideal depth? any referece

if so, this stone is too deep, then why it can be 3EX in GIA....am i being cheated?!

nimdomin

Rough_Rock
you said you wont consider SI2. I find some SI2 3EX HA stones with HCA rate below 2, then what i should choose? soooo trouble :lickout:

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock

nimdomin

Rough_Rock
I did see the heart as the attached photo's no2,6 & 8 like

Does it imply this stone has good cutting with nice sparkling effect under this few inclusion, though its proportion is bad? Thanks!

2011-06-17_173925.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results